BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Wato
Fool On The Hill

Default A Liverpool Sham ( George Harrison tribute )

Thanks for the support folks. much appreciated.

Let me just get this off my chest to you all, my friends.

Today ( or yesterday now ) As some of you know, I went to the Cavern Walks in Liverpool, to lay flowers at the statue of George Harrison which along with the other Beatles is at the bottom of the small two level shopping arcade, which is off Mathew Street.
http://www.merseyworld.com/mathew/cavern0.html

As a Tribute to a special man, a quarter of the greatest musical band the world has ever known.
I arrived at the time scheduled by the press 10am GMT for the service.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-20167018/

Service? What service? I not only had to sit down in shock, It was a while before I could speak at all. There were Six people there. Can I reiterate that please? SIX people.
This is Liverpool, Yes Liverpool. The City that makes millions from this man every year, a city that thrives on the history of the Beatles. Yet knocked down the original Cavern club for a car park. It would never happen anywhere else.
Yet you know what? It wasn't because of this I was angry ( there isn't actually an official George Harrison memorial in this city anyway, his home city. )
I was angry because this pathetic excuse of a shopping complex the "CAVERN walks" had a manager, who's sole purpose after half an hour of a couple of people simply chatting next to his statue, was to ask us to " wind this up now please." I nearly got arrested.
These so called "managers" may not like the Beatles ( they don’t have to ) Haven't the skill's to understand what it means, not only fans, but to the heritage of the people of this city, that to simply " wind up " a memorial service ( remember this was media advertised?) after literally moments is beyond anything I've ever comprehended from anywhere in Liverpool. ITS NOT OUR WAY!
Yet I understand that these businesses are now not run by people of this city. They are run by wealthy business conglomerates who's sole purpose in life is too bleed tourists dry. The Cavern Walks doesn't care who the iconic image figure heading their success is, as long as there is one. Then the local council (again some leaking finance political institution) tries to bleed them dry in rent and tax and so the dualistic green roundabout is set in motion.

My friends, I am so F****** angry. I'm ashamed and insulted in one breeze of Liverpool air.
You can see the sparseness of the floral tribute? They wanted to take things away because it may ( obstruct the view of the statue's for the tourists. ) That’s right people.... You.

"Listen, touch what I've put up there before I move out of here and there'll be a memorial for you here next week." That's the level I had to degrade myself to at the service. The security guard could tell two things.

1. I wasn't a tourist.
2. I was Serious.

I'm about to go to the local council after berating them, hopefully with our own figure head to try to get an official memorial to George. I hope this will be in the south of Liverpool where he's from and he's still special.

I ask of you this my friends, it’s simple. If your coming to Liverpool or know someone coming to Liverpool to see the “sights “boycott the cavern walks shopping area. it's off Mathew street halfway up to the left. Its glass front can’t be missed. There's a link above.
These leaches do not deserve either your money or support. They have the audacity to strewn Beatles imagery across most of the shop windows. Yet they treat one of our beloved icons like shit, and won’t even recognise his tribute from his fans.
That's all I ask of you. Thank you very much.

Im about to go on a journey to try get this great man a real memorial which he clearly deserves, in this ever changing city that's losing its spirit and soul, just like most city centre's in England to exclusive shopping arena's that 90% of the locals will never set foot in.

I'm so sorry for my rant, thank you if you've stayed with me.

May your God bless you.

Peace Love and Happiness..........Gary.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:00 AM   #2
zipp

I was in Liverpool a few weeks ago and found the Cavern Walks a bit tacky.
Luckily the Grapes pub is not far away where I had a pint and a bit of lunch in an authentic Beatles haunt.
My main problem in Liverpool was finding somewhere to park.The whole place is a giant building site with 08 just round the corner.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Gary I understand exactly how you feel and I would have reacted just the same had it been me there instead of you. That is a total disgrace and a humiliation. I am very surprised but not only the turn out but by the behaviour displayed.

What you say about the managers etc is all true - they don't have to like The Beatles - but surely they can manage, even if they don't get it or understand why people like them, to put on even just a bit of an act and be sensitive. Partiularly when considering where they work and how much they make off them. I mean really, there are merely 2 days out of the entire year where they would have to be like that (yesterday and obviously Dec 8) so why they can't manage that, I have no idea.

Why go to the trouble of advertising in the media if a memorial service consists of a bit of a chat and then instructions to "wind things up"?

I am so sorry that you had that experience and I wish you all the best in your mission.

With love from Lucy xxxx
Old Nov 30, 2007, 03:50 AM   #4
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

I have to say Gary I agree with all that has been said perhaps you could start an online petition which we could all sign!! The parasites are all very quick to take the Beatle fans money and capitalise on the band's popularity but not to recognise that people love them and want to pay their respects to them, particularly John and George who are no longer with us!! I am sure the families would be appalled at the treatment of George's fans as some of them have been linked with Cavern Walks!

I agree the city needs to take ownership of these sites and encourage the fans to visit. To say that they were going to remove the flowers and cards because the tourists want photo's is rubbish, WHAT THE HELL DO THEY THINK WE GO FOR????

In New York they leave the tributes left by fans on the Imagine mosaic..........they need to take a leaf out of the New York Central Park book!!

I expect better from Liverpool and I can understand your disappointment especially as you are a Liverpudlian, I love the city and hope they will look to changing the way people see The Beatles heritage. You are right they need to recognise all that George has done for the city and to look to making an area like they have for John in Central Park! That would be nice, somewhere people could reflect and enjoy some peace!

I will be happy to support you in your endeavours to get George recognised by his home city, along with everyone here at BeatleLinks!!

First stop The Liverpool Echo I should think and an article about what adisappointment it has been!!

Good luck on your journey Gary!

“We didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.”
Paul McCartney

Last edited by oldbeatlechick : Nov 30, 2007 at 03:52 AM.
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:29 AM   #5
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wato View Post
Thanks for the support folks. much appreciated.

Let me just get this off my chest to you all, my friends.

Today ( or yesterday now ) As some of you know, I went to the Cavern Walks in Liverpool, to lay flowers at the statue of George Harrison which along with the other Beatles is at the bottom of the small two level shopping arcade, which is off Mathew Street.
http://www.merseyworld.com/mathew/cavern0.html

As a Tribute to a special man, a quarter of the greatest musical band the world has ever known.
I arrived at the time scheduled by the press 10am GMT for the service.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-20167018/

Service? What service? I not only had to sit down in shock, It was a while before I could speak at all. There were Six people there. Can I reiterate that please? SIX people.
This is Liverpool, Yes Liverpool. The City that makes millions from this man every year, a city that thrives on the history of the Beatles. Yet knocked down the original Cavern club for a car park. It would never happen anywhere else.
Yet you know what? It wasn't because of this I was angry ( there isn't actually an official George Harrison memorial in this city anyway, his home city. )
I was angry because this pathetic excuse of a shopping complex the "CAVERN walks" had a manager, who's sole purpose after half an hour of a couple of people simply chatting next to his statue, was to ask us to " wind this up now please." I nearly got arrested.
These so called "managers" may not like the Beatles ( they don’t have to ) Haven't the skill's to understand what it means, not only fans, but to the heritage of the people of this city, that to simply " wind up " a memorial service ( remember this was media advertised?) after literally moments is beyond anything I've ever comprehended from anywhere in Liverpool. ITS NOT OUR WAY!
Yet I understand that these businesses are now not run by people of this city. They are run by wealthy business conglomerates who's sole purpose in life is too bleed tourists dry. The Cavern Walks doesn't care who the iconic image figure heading their success is, as long as there is one. Then the local council (again some leaking finance political institution) tries to bleed them dry in rent and tax and so the dualistic green roundabout is set in motion.

My friends, I am so F****** angry. I'm ashamed and insulted in one breeze of Liverpool air.
You can see the sparseness of the floral tribute? They wanted to take things away because it may ( obstruct the view of the statue's for the tourists. ) That’s right people.... You.

"Listen, touch what I've put up there before I move out of here and there'll be a memorial for you here next week." That's the level I had to degrade myself to at the service. The security guard could tell two things.

1. I wasn't a tourist.
2. I was Serious.

I'm about to go to the local council after berating them, hopefully with our own figure head to try to get an official memorial to George. I hope this will be in the south of Liverpool where he's from and he's still special.

I ask of you this my friends, it’s simple. If your coming to Liverpool or know someone coming to Liverpool to see the “sights “boycott the cavern walks shopping area. it's off Mathew street halfway up to the left. Its glass front can’t be missed. There's a link above.
These leaches do not deserve either your money or support. They have the audacity to strewn Beatles imagery across most of the shop windows. Yet they treat one of our beloved icons like shit, and won’t even recognise his tribute from his fans.
That's all I ask of you. Thank you very much.

Im about to go on a journey to try get this great man a real memorial which he clearly deserves, in this ever changing city that's losing its spirit and soul, just like most city centre's in England to exclusive shopping arena's that 90% of the locals will never set foot in.

I'm so sorry for my rant, thank you if you've stayed with me.

May your God bless you.

Peace Love and Happiness..........Gary.

I agree about CAVERN WALKS. A big con, making money off the Beatles at silly prices, by people who don't care. Do not VISIT!

The Beatles need a good big permanent statue and memorial garden in the city, run by Beatles fans for Beatles fans. Not for money.

Too many people at Cavern Walks & Cavern Liverpool make a good living from the Beatles and offer nothing in return.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:39 AM   #6
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

That sounds terrible Gary. I've been to Liverpool a few times and must say I was never that impressed with Cavern Walks. It's pricey and soul-less. It's quite obvious that they are just trying to make money off the back of the Beatles without caring in the slightest. The fact that they advertised this event and then totally disregarded the people who came is terrible. It makes me think they were disappointed because not enough people turned up so they weren't going to make as much money as they thought they might from tourists etc.

Good luck in your efforts to get George a decent memorial in Liverpool, he deserves one. I'm sure everyone here will support you!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:55 AM   #7
sadie
Sun King

Wow that is bad, shame on them!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 05:55 AM   #8
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Gary, I would have never expected the level of indifference you encountered, in the Fabs home city no less. I will happily offer my help in anyway I can be of assistance, writing letters or signing petitions, that is, if a Yanks signature means anything. :)
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:14 AM   #9
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Gary, I went to Liverpool in 2006. It saddens me that you think the true spirit of the city is dying. I'm sure as a resident you have much more of a pulse on this than I could ever hope to have, so I trust your judgement on the situation. But it does make me sad because I absolutely fell in love with Liverpool in the 5 days I was there. I won't go on about it, but just let me stress that I adore that city.

While I was there we sort of wandered into the shopping complex, just on a sort of whim. We weren't impressed to say the least. We paused at the Lucy restaurant that's there, just because that's where part of the original Cavern was. I'm planning on returning to Liverpool in 2008, and I won't be the least bit devastated to skip the Cavern Walks. There are plenty of other things in your beautiful city that I simply didn't have a chance to hit the first time around, and I'd much rather visit them than a place run by a bunch of suits who can't respect that the reason I ever came to visit and ever might consider spending some money in their place of business is because of the Beatles.

Shame on them, and good for you for your work to get a proper memorial for George. He was a beautiful man, and the city should be falling all over themselves trying to honor his legacy.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:26 AM   #10
Asha
Sun King

Don't worry, Gary! I've been to Liverpool many times, starting with 1983. My first trip to Mathew Street was just after the Cavern had been dug up & so my understand right from the start was that Liverpool wasn't going to understand what they were letting go of.

As for Cavern Walks, I've barely stepped inside a couple of times. It's really a sad place in my opinion, but if I'm with someone who has never been, they always want to look inside. But I was never impressed & would be happy to just walk right on by.

It's sad to me to see so many of the Beatles sites slowly disappear, but it's life. I mean, I was sad to see some schools missing, but even one of my schools no longer exists. Of course, I'm not famous, but some things have to change & evolve.

Last time I was in Liverpool they flat out said that while they'll keep John's & Paul's homes, they won't do anything for George or Ringo. I don't really understand this, but I sort of chuckle & remember George talking about him & Ringo being second class Beatles.

& it's true... Liverpool is not a city of Beatles fans. It's a large city of normal people with jobs & other interests. Beatles fans will always go there & there will always be people who make money off them. I'm really not surprised that there weren't a lot of people there. George has always been looked at differently, than say, John. I'm sure in a week we'll be able to compare what you saw to what still goes on in Central Park 27 years later. Very different, isn't it?

Hang in there & don't worry about it. There were a LOT of people at Cavern Walks yesterday... You just didn't see us all!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:44 AM   #11
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha View Post
Hang in there & don't worry about it. There were a LOT of people at Cavern Walks yesterday... You just didn't see us all!
Very true indeed. :)
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:48 AM   #12
Wato
Fool On The Hill

Your all special people, Thank you for all your support again.

I'm going to do what I can, whatever is in my power. I wont let it go that's for sure.
You know, its not the amount of people who turned up, It's not even the lack of cards or flowers. I just don't swallow the hypocrisy pill lightly.
Liverpool people in general are kind friendly caring people (despite popular belief and propaganda) Of course unless your a Beatle fan or enjoy their music, it's everywhere you go in this city, and can be overwhelming as is any tourist attraction to the locals.
Yet when we do have our backs against the wall, the Beatles are always in the armoury, and believe me they are used. I know John and Paul have a lot more focus to the general population being the main writers than George. It still grinds me, and I wont make excuses for it, but without George, this world musically would not have had the colours or flavours it has. Especially bringing eastern instrumentation to the fore in western popular music.

Thank you though my friends, for the beautiful words of wisdom and kindness you sent in reply, means a lot to me that.
I think George will know, He's loved as equally as any other member of the boys, by us all here. You were all definitely with us there in spirit.
Social and economic change is inevitable in modern society, I'm sure it's the same in all our homelands and we all experience the chaos everyday. Cities and business have to make money yes, but you know what? I've never looked at a new building or development anywhere in this city and had my insides flutter and my mind drift off into a prism of wonderful colours, as I do when I listen to " Something " By Mr. George Harrison.

Good Journey Brother,

Peace Love and Happiness to all of you.......... Gary.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 03:49 PM   #13
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wato View Post
Cities and business have to make money yes, but you know what? I've never looked at a new building or development anywhere in this city and had my insides flutter and my mind drift off into a prism of wonderful colours, as I do when I listen to " Something " By Mr. George Harrison.
Man that is really shameful, even though i like the George quote. Gotta' thank you for that one.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2007, 08:52 AM   #14
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Bummer.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2007, 06:11 PM   #15
cavernplayer
Fool On The Hill

Really sad to hear that there wasn't a larger group or more of a tribute. My wife and I are going to Liverpool next summer so thanks for the heads up.

cp
cavernplayer is offline   Reply With Quote