BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Aug 09, 2000, 09:45 AM   #1
Original Fan
Wild Honey Pie

Default Unreleased Song

Hey, all my little Beatles scholars on this site, I was just listening the Anthology CDs and I have a question. Why wasn't a recording of "In Spite of All the Danger" ever released? It had "hit" written all over it. I love listening to it because it sounds like a typical example of all their exciting, early offerings. Was there a reason they never put it out? Just curious.
Original Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2000, 10:35 AM   #2
SleepyHead
Sun King

Default Re: Unreleased Song

That's a good question. Anyone else want a stab at it? I can't find anything about it written before the anthology.

------------------
Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
SleepyHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2000, 12:05 PM   #3
SleepyHead
Sun King

"He (Lowe's friend) had it valued by Sotheby's which led to the discovery of the disc being reported by SUNDAY TIMES columnist Stephen Pile in July 1981. Before midday on that Sunday afternoon, Paul McCartney had called my mum...we had long conversations over the next few days because he wanted to buy it from me..."

------------------
Old Aug 09, 2000, 12:23 PM   #4
Original Fan
Wild Honey Pie

"...kept it in a sock drawer?" You're breaking my heart! Did the boys actually FORGET about that song after they started making legitimate recordings? What a waste. Thanks for the info. I knew you wouldn't let me down!
Old Aug 09, 2000, 02:19 PM   #5
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I always thought that, 'In Spite of All The Danger' was written by Lennon and Harrison.

If you look on the page of older topics, there'll be one entitled, 'Want a copy of the first ever Beatles recording?' where you can actually buy a copy of the 78rpm mentioned here for a mere 80!

------------------
Did Paul McCartney die in a car crash on November 2nd, 1966? Visit Paul is Dead - The Conclusive Evidence, read the clues and decide for yourself.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2000, 09:36 PM   #6
SleepyHead
Sun King

Well, OFan, actually, this wouldn't be considered a "legitimate" recording in the way you're thinking. To get gigs, a lot of groups would audition for different venue owners, others would pool their cash and try to record themselves playing. Percy F. Phillips plunked down 400 or thereabouts for a "small" portable tape recorder, and installed it in his home. He charged the Quarry Men 87p to tape the two songs, transferred 'em to shellac, and probably wiped the tape to reuse. Probably Duf forgot he even had it... I mean, this was in '58 and the lads started getting some real attention after the '62 jaunt to Germany. That's a lot of time for a young man, and by then the Beatles weren't the Quarry Men any longer.

------------------
Old Aug 09, 2000, 11:23 PM   #7
SleepyHead
Sun King

Okay, I found what may be part of the reason. In Steve Turner's A HARD DAY'S WRITE, it says the original shellac disc "passed from member to member and eventually came down to (John 'Duf')Lowe who kept it in a sock drawer until 1981 when a colleague suggested to him that it might have commercial value."

It sounds like it was one of the forgotten tunes...

------------------
Old Aug 09, 2000, 11:25 PM   #8
Glenn
Nowhere Man

Here's a couple of quotes from The Beatles Ultimate Recording Guide.

"1958-middle of that year;
The Quarry Men, including John, Paul, George, Colin Hanton and John "Duff" Lowe, recorded That'll Be The Day and In Spite Of All The Danger, the latter a McCartney/Harrison composition, at Liverpool's Kensington Recording Studio for 25 shillings."

"Paul eventually had That'll Be The Day and In Spite Of All The Danger digitally remastered and had 50 copies of the single pressed as Christmas gifts for friends."

Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2000, 06:13 AM   #9
Original Fan
Wild Honey Pie

Sleepy, My family & I were discussing this topic at dinner last night and we all agreed it wouldn't be impossible for the boys to have forgotten that song. Sometimes friends show me letters or poems I wrote to them years ago and I have NO recollection of having ever SEEN them, let alone having written them! (Not that my work is memorable, to be sure!) Also, I can tell by the quality of the song in question that it was a primitive recording. I do love it, though.
Old Aug 15, 2000, 07:55 AM   #10
barrett
Fool On The Hill

Because Mc.Cartney think that sounds like Elvis song "Trying to get to you" from the Sun Sessions.

------------------
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2000, 05:48 PM   #11
Original Fan
Wild Honey Pie

Barrett, please elaborate.
Old Aug 16, 2000, 03:52 AM   #12
barrett
Fool On The Hill

I speak Spanish, so my English is not well at all..in an interview Paul Mc.Cartney confirm that he write this song with
Harrison, inspired in Elvis "Trying To Get To You" fron the Sun Sessions.
When you listen both, you can see the little difference. // "That Means A Lot" and "Ticket To Ride" is another case.
(again sorry about my English)

------------------
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2000, 05:19 PM   #13
Original Fan
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks, barrett. Unfortunately, I'm not all that familiar with Elvis' catalog of music. I DO know, however, that he was a great influence on the Beatles, so it's not wonder they patterned some of their songs after his.
Old Aug 18, 2000, 05:21 PM   #14
Original Fan
Wild Honey Pie

OOOPS! That's supposed to read, "no wonder."