BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Closed Thread

Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:57 PM   #181
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I, too am glad that the Beatles and Brian were too smart to have the boys continue cranking out grade-Z movies with tired plots like Elvis did. Elvis movies had minimal soft plots at best and they continued long after it was time to stop. The Beatles' movies ended the fresh new sexpots in town in AHDN and their subsequent movies presented them in fresher formats. I admit that I think "Help!" was a very ludicrous movie and I thought the plot a stinker, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerieinthegallery View Post
It's the plot that ruins "Help!" for me, and I think most of the script is very feeble (although there are lots of brilliant sight gags). The Beatles themselves felt that they were just extras in their own film. Yes, they look gorgeous and the musical numbers are great but my fingers stray to the fast forward button when I watch the non-Beatley bits. The naturalness that made AHDN such a joy to watch had worn off - I'm glad that they didn't follow Elvis down the route of making one awful film after another!

Amen, Sister Val! Preach on, Sister Val!

"Help!" really is a silly movie with a feeble plot. The Beatles and their music is the only reason to watch the movie and yeah, it is all too easy to hit the FF button on the parts that don't include the boys.

Oh, but to look at George Harrison in those tight trousers on the rocks and to feast your eyes on George and his beautiful wavy hair when he was sitting on the couch with Ahme and to look at George when he took the tire off that man's car and George when he looked at the whirly thing coming through some painted man's stomach....now those were scenes to savor!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jun 01, 2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 02:25 PM   #182
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

Location: in the center of a big beatle group hug...nah, i wish.

i dont know. all the films were so different from each other its impossible to compare them!

i think after all is said and done, though, i would say a hard days night. purely because i could spend days watching that one over and over and over again. its just so full of life! and yes, i do prefer color over black and white, but a hard days night was just...genius. GENIUS. it can totally make you feel better when youre in the worst of moods.

gawww, i cant believe this thread has been alive for TEN YEARS!
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:47 PM   #183
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

Well, I am really inclined to say A Hard Day's Night. I was 16 when it came out.

:::: George Harrison on a 60 foot wide screen ::::

It's a visual I'll never lose. :)

:)
Old Jun 01, 2010, 09:15 PM   #184
beatlelover45223

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
"Help!" is a very silly movie and I agree with Val. Fans like it for the same reasons that I, a fan like it - the Beatles are in it; it's filmed in color and the songs are nonpareil. Objectively speaking, it's a tepid spoof of the espionage genre and the plot is kind of feeble.
That's just the point, the Bond movies were silly plots to me. Help was just a silly take on what people were raving about, the Bond films (the new Bond films are just as lame, to me, as the original films). I do love the sight gags in Help, the Fabs humor was let out of the bag so to speak with Help imo, the Beatles acting in AHDN is lame to me, although after not seeing Help for years, it too seems so lame now, but when I reflect back to the time I can appreciate it for that period of time... Look how lame I Dream Of Jeannie was, but it was a great hit for a few years on tv.... Beatles in color, made them even easier on the eyes

~ Nancy ~
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:08 PM   #185
AHarrison
Nowhere Man

I'd have to go with Hard Days Night. First off, I love the music and secondly I like how they filmed it in the way that you can see what it's like in the day of the life of the Beatles.

"And so it's true, pride comes before a fall
I'm telling you so that you won't lose all."

12/8/80 & 11/29/01 RIP♥
John's not dead, he's only sleeping.
Old Jul 01, 2010, 07:06 PM   #186
beatlelover45223

Talking

Hi Betley the topic is favorite/best Beatles movie, do you have one?

~ Nancy ~
Old Jul 02, 2010, 04:00 AM   #187
BeatleBetti
Little Child

Send a message via MSN to BeatleBetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithKristen View Post
Well, I am really inclined to say A Hard Day's Night. I was 16 when it came out.

:::: George Harrison on a 60 foot wide screen ::::

It's a visual I'll never lose. :)

:)
Jealous...
Old Jul 02, 2010, 03:00 PM   #188
In My Life
Fool On The Hill

It definitely wasn't Magical Mystery Tour that's for sure
Old Jul 03, 2010, 07:11 AM   #189
valerieinthegallery
Rocky Raccoon

I think MMT has stood the test of time better than "Help!" Yes, it's a shambles but it's shambolic in a Pythonesque/Lewis Carroll way that was lost on its first audiences.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 08:05 AM   #190
LadyLoser83
Fool On The Hill

The most commercially successed Beatles Movie must have been "Help!" because of its Bond-esque theme which was the "it" thing of the time. Then again, MMT (as valerieinthegallery put it) was very Python-like but a few years ahead of its time and maybe that was one of the reasons why it wasnīt considered as a good film. IMHO, A Hard Dayīs Night is the best Beatles Movie of all times, subjectively speaking, since I personally can sense that the boys really enjoyed making the film and had a lot of fun. The whole success was still new to them and at that point they didnīt find the publicity a burden to them. In addition, the "fun" was, at this point, still non-marijuana-fuelled and, this said, that made it so genuine. And it shows. Also, the script was "okay" and so were the support actors/actresses.

(BTW, Iīm new here and also a non-native English-speaker, so please, forgive me my unsufficient vocabulary. Still, itīs so good to meet other Beatles fans since I donīt know that many of them in person. :) )
Old Jul 03, 2010, 12:25 PM   #191
In My Life
Fool On The Hill

Its ok Lady ... you did fine ... but as for MMT I'm afraid I watched the TV premier ..... 1968 I think, and was horrified at what I thought at the time was The Beatles lacking direction after Brian Epsteins death.
It was Paul's baby as I was lead to believe, and despite some more great songs I thought it was a disaster, even though I was given the CD as a present.

I will go with A Hard Days Night as its the raw energy of The Beatles at the time was captured perfectly, whereas Help is more polished, but still enjoyable.
Old Jul 03, 2010, 01:09 PM   #192
LadyLoser83
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by In My Life View Post
Its ok Lady ... you did fine ... but as for MMT I'm afraid I watched the TV premier ..... 1968 I think, and was horrified at what I thought at the time was The Beatles lacking direction after Brian Epsteins death.
It was Paul's baby as I was lead to believe, and despite some more great songs I thought it was a disaster, even though I was given the CD as a present.

I will go with A Hard Days Night as its the raw energy of The Beatles at the time was captured perfectly, whereas Help is more polished, but still enjoyable.
Yeah, well, I was about 15 or so (about 12 years ago ) when I first watched MMT on video and I didnīt really think that it was anything special. Like you, Iīm also under the impression that it was mostly Paulīs idea and inspiration and that the film didnīt really have a director as such, it just... happened. Then again, one might consider it to be a reflection of its time: surrealistic, psychedelic, a bit mad - pretty much everything that the late 60īs represented. Add in some peace signs and huge crowds of people chanting for peace and you have the quintessential of the time. ( AND before anyone else points it out for me: I DO know that the late 60īs and the whole peace movement was a lot more than that, but I speak from a perspective of the modern youth, who donīt always necesseraly see beyond that which is obvious to the eye... unfortunately.)
Old Jul 04, 2010, 08:19 PM   #193
beatlelover45223

Thumbs up

Well put LadyLoser83, welcome btw

~ Nancy ~
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:31 AM   #194
Maia 66
Sun King

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerieinthegallery View Post
I think MMT has stood the test of time better than "Help!" Yes, it's a shambles but it's shambolic in a Pythonesque/Lewis Carroll way that was lost on its first audiences.
Very well put... agree with you completely!

MMT does a better job of preserving the true spirit of the '60s, while Help! preserves the commercial aspects of those times. (Like I said before, it was more like a '60s sit-com...)

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:35 PM   #195
JohnWOL
Little Child

I've seen parts of Yellow Submarine and Let it Be. My favorite movie is Help! It's one of my favorite albums as well. AHDN is a CLOOOOSE second. I made my 9 year old sister watch it with me :)
Me: Can you understand what they're saying?
Sister: No! They have accents!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:36 PM   #196
JohnWOL
Little Child

Oh! And Magical Mystery tour makes me CRAVE spaghetti!
No, really. I almost puked watching that. But it was a good movie. Ties with A Hard Day's Night.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:25 AM   #197
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

A Hard Day's Night. Simple as that.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:49 AM   #198
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via Yahoo to the ninth walrus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRCM_...=youtube_gdata

heres a vid of my collection

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:33 PM   #199
beatlelover45223

I am closing this topic, it was started in 2000, we have a newer similar topic including a poll in it to take this one's place....

~ Nancy ~
Closed Thread