BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products



Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:16 PM   #1
maribeatlecrazy
Nowhere Man
 
maribeatlecrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 248
Default I was just wondering...

Who are Paul's friends??

LOL. This might be a silly question, but I always had the impression that Linda and their kids were the only close friends he had :((

Since her death, I can't really think of anyone Paul could trust or that would be there for him no matter what, except for his kids. And that makes me feel bad for him.

I mean, if there was a Concert for Paul after his death, like the one for George, who would be invited? Ringo would, for sure. But only because he was a Beatle. I don't even think Paul and Ringo are that close as friends.

There's another thing that bothers me: it seems that every single friend that he had turned his back on him. I'm not saying he's a poor victim who was betrayed by his old buddies, but it does make me wonder. Is Paul such an arrogant, cold-hearted dude? Let's see... John, George (even though they were apparently in good terms with Paul when they died, I think they kept a lot of resentment), Denny Laine, Angie and Ruth McCartney (stepmother and sister), Danny Fields (Linda's best friend)... There was also a Geoff guy (Geoff Baker?), I don't really remeber what he was for Paul, but I heard somewhere they had a fall out.

It really makes me sad. Maybe people who say Paul is not a good person are right :(
__________________
~ Making all my nowhere plans for nobody ~

Take a sad song and make it better =)

maribeatlecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 02:43 PM   #2
The_Taxman
Rocky Raccoon
 
The_Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 30, 2010
Location: here there and everywhere
Posts: 400
Send a message via AIM to The_Taxman
Default

First of all, Paul IS a good person. The media just seems not to like him.

I can see what you mean with all those people turning their backs on Paul. A theory I have is that Paul is the kind of person who bottles up their feelings, rather than John. See, while John has the heartbreaking song "Mother" Paul never really talks about his mom, even though she died when he was 14. That's just a theory of mine.

As for the Concert for Paul, I think it'll be a whole bunch of classic rock musicians and such to pay homage to the most successful musician ever. Elton John, Eric Clapton, Ringo, etc.


I can only hope that after Paul dies he'll get the recognition he's always deserved.
The_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:16 PM   #3
JonnyLytnin
Rocky Raccoon
 
JonnyLytnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 06, 2009
Location: Southeast Michigan
Posts: 452
Default

I think part of this comes from Paul being a somewhat of a business man. No offense, but business minded people are (in my experience) hard to be close friends with, especially if part of your connection to them is their business.

Also, as a musician, Paul has always had a dominant personality. When making music, Paul knows what he wants and is unlikely to budge on what he thinks will make for the best musical experience, somewhat to a fault. This is not a knock on the man in any way, but I'd cite the infamous argument w/ George during the Get Back sessions as an early and easy to research example of this.

I think that Paul probably closely guards himself and his relationships like a hawk, as well he should. He has had some unfortunate betrayals himself (even if only from his point of view) by some that he allowed to get very close (ie: w/ the Beatles regarding Alan Klein; Michael Jackson and the song publishing rights).

Despite all of that, I still believe that Paul will given a most fantastic farewell when "the end of the end" comes.
__________________
"Sometimes you wonder, I mean really wonder. I know we make our own reality and we always have a choice, but how much is pre-ordained?" -- John Lennon

"Everything else can wait, but the search for God cannot wait." -- George Harrison

Last edited by JonnyLytnin : Apr 14, 2010 at 03:16 PM.
JonnyLytnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 03:38 PM   #4
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man
 
Miss Nani Moonlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 28, 2010
Location: in the center of a big beatle group hug...nah, i wish.
Posts: 270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Taxman View Post

See, while John has the heartbreaking song "Mother" Paul never really talks about his mom, even though she died when he was 14.
psst...pssst...let it be....

anyway, i think paul wasnt a man of many friends, but it wasnt because he wasnt a good person, he WAS. a VERY good person, beneath the exterior. its just because i believe he had his tight circle of friends, aka the beatles, and after they were gone, he hadnt the heart to form a new group. you know. couldnt let go of thier old friendship.

i hope dear paul gets a concert for him when he dies. he was, among other things, a musical genius, and beneath it all, just a fun-loving, light-hearted, spirited guy. anyone who says he isnt a good person obviously didnt know him.
Miss Nani Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:41 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964
Moderator
 
beatlebangs1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Posts: 37,560



Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default

I think Paul is a good person and believe him when he says he's an approachable, ordinary bloke. He is an ordinary bloke who just happens to be intellectually gifted and one of the world's most outstanding, extraordinary artists.

Mean spirited journalism like boils is a sad fact of life. Maybe with the right lancing tools, mean spirited tabloids will drain away.
__________________
With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!-- Beatles, 1963

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6
paulram
Apple Scruff
 
paulram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 25, 2007
Posts: 105
Default

In one book I read (can't remember the name of it might have been Hunter Davis?) they mentioned Paul's parents never really had many close friends around so maybe Paul's just following suit? Not saying any of the McCartney's had no friends at all just maybe not tons of people they were close to
__________________
An hour spent in the saddle is an hour not wasted-Winston Churchill

Anybody can ride; it just takes talent to stay on
paulram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:10 PM   #7
CassyInTheSky
Apple Scruff
 
Join Date: Feb 13, 2010
Posts: 102
Default

Well, does the media really know him, anyway? We don't know him, the media doesn't know him. That's the one downfall: You DON'T know. I'm sure he's a good guy, but the media DOES make assumptions about Macca.

But he will be *very* celebrated when his time does come, I'm sure of that.
__________________


^^ He needs somebody! Not just anybody!


~They call me on and off, across the universe~

Me in a nutshell.
CassyInTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 05:54 PM   #8
beatlebangs1964
Moderator
 
beatlebangs1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Posts: 37,560



Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default

Well said, Cassy.

As for Paul's friends, well, let's just say they're very good friends.
__________________
With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!-- Beatles, 1963

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Maia 66
Sun King
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,358

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maribeatlecrazy View Post
I mean, if there was a Concert for Paul after his death, like the one for George, who would be invited? Ringo would, for sure. But only because he was a Beatle. I don't even think Paul and Ringo are that close as friends.
I think you bring up a good point.

Paul is, of course, a good person... as many you above have said. He's a great person, actually. However, he does have the reputation of being a bit, uh, difficult. He is a perfectionist, after all... and that can be hard for people to be around.

I've been a Beatles fan all my life and I absolutely love Paulie... but all you have to do is listen to some of the outtakes in the Anthology and you can kind of hear that his legendary control freakness is actually real.

I don't think journalists have been unfair to Paul. In fact, back in the day, I read interviews with other rock stars (Jagger, Dylan, etc.) who weren't crazy about his personality. They say he can be kind of bitchy. John even said that people would sometimes ask him how they could be such good friends. I once met Allan Williams and he had few kinds words about Paul (although I think he had an axe to grind).

Paul's a family man. And he's very close with his family. I'm sure he has some close friends... And if there were ti be a concert for Paul, you can bet a galaxy of stars would perform!
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:43 PM   #10
maribeatlecrazy
Nowhere Man
 
maribeatlecrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I think you bring up a good point.

Paul is, of course, a good person... as many you above have said. He's a great person, actually. However, he does have the reputation of being a bit, uh, difficult. He is a perfectionist, after all... and that can be hard for people to be around.
I know, he has his flaws. But hasn't everybody??
Friends are supposed to love us for what we are, even if we have flaws. Doesn't Paul have ANY good qualities that could make up for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I don't think journalists have been unfair to Paul. In fact, back in the day, I read interviews with other rock stars (Jagger, Dylan, etc.) who weren't crazy about his personality. They say he can be kind of bitchy. John even said that people would sometimes ask him how they could be such good friends. I once met Allan Williams and he had few kinds words about Paul (although I think he had an axe to grind).
John could be bitchy too, right? And had some other serious flaws as well...
__________________
~ Making all my nowhere plans for nobody ~

Take a sad song and make it better =)

maribeatlecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:25 PM   #11
Maia 66
Sun King
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,358

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maribeatlecrazy View Post
John could be bitchy too, right? And had some other serious flaws as well...
John's flaws have been discussed in this forum (and others!) ad nauseum... we really don't need to get into it in this thread, because FOR ONCE, we are talking about the imperfections of another Beatle besides John!

Yes, Paul has MANY excellent qualities that make him a wonderful human being... but, like many great people, he can be very difficult. Am I saying that he should change? Abso-friggin'-lutely NOT. He is a great and accomplished person precisely because of those qualities he possesses that rub some people the wrong way. In my opinion, it is impossible to be truly great without being very difficult.

Thank goodness for difficult and bitchy people... it may be a challenge to be friends with them, but THEY ARE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THIS WORLD.

Please... can we just leave John alone this once?

Peace
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:38 PM   #12
maribeatlecrazy
Nowhere Man
 
maribeatlecrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 11, 2010
Location: Brazil
Posts: 248
Default

I wasn't trying to bring John into this, sorry if it sounded that way. I was just giving an example.

My point is that every single person in this world has flaws, but why Paul's are harder to forgive? Not only by the people who surround him, but by the fans as well.
__________________
~ Making all my nowhere plans for nobody ~

Take a sad song and make it better =)

maribeatlecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:06 PM   #13
Maia 66
Sun King
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,358

Default

Sorry if I came on strong, but I am obviously just tired of people pointing out John's flaws as if it negates his musical genius...

Ok, I think what you want to know is why it's hard for people to be friends with Paul when other people have issues, too. Here are my thoughts:

I think of Paul a lot like my sister. She's a very bright and gifted individual... and a very nice person, but she's a bit of an uptight know-it-all... and it's just annoying to be around someone like that! No fun to hang out with, you know what I mean? People think she's kind of stuck up, when actually she's just reserved.

Now, let's remember these details about Paul:

1) He hated The Rutles when it first came out. George was actually in the damn thing and John absolutely loved it... even though they satirized Yoko as a Nazi! Paul had no reason to be so uptight about it... I mean, come on, have a sense of humor!

2) The whole Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame boycott. Okay, so he was having financial issues or whatever with the other Beatles, but couldn't he just put that aside for something as major and once-in-a-lifetime as this? It's not like he was Johnny Rotten, who boycotted the ceremony because he thought it was lame... Paul was just being an a$$h*le.

3) Paul tells the story of how, when he was a little kid and his dad would hit him, instead of yelling or crying like his brother Michael, he would sneak into his parents' room while they weren't around and tear their lace curtains just a little bit. Sneaky! I know he was just a kid, but I think this story illustrates a little about how he handles conflict. Can you say passive aggressive?

Like I've said, I think Paul is gear, fab, and all the other pimply hyperboles. In other words, he's a great person... and I love him dearly. But I can understand why some people wouldn't want to hang out with him...
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 03:15 PM   #14
beatlebangs1964
Moderator
 
beatlebangs1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Posts: 37,560



Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default

In re Paul....

Actually, they're just very good friends.
__________________
With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!-- Beatles, 1963

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just wondering........the 21st century music PhilSpecter Not Only A Northern Song 33 Aug 19, 2003 02:11 PM
Just wondering biglou114 Red Rose Speedway 4 Jul 27, 2002 11:47 PM
I was wondering biglou114 Crackerbox Palace 3 Apr 07, 2002 08:35 PM
just wondering about everyone **DONOTDELETE** Not Only A Northern Song 51 Dec 14, 2001 01:10 PM


Advertisements

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Features
Search Links

  Advanced Search
Category Jump



BeatleMail

FREE E-MAIL
@ BEATLEMAIL.COM


Username


Password




New User Sign-Up!
Lost Password?
Beatles History




Donate
The costs of running our database and discussion forum are steadily rising. Any help we receive is greatly appreciated. Click HERE for more information about donating to BeatleLinks.
Extras
» Chat Room
» Current News
» Monthly Contest
» Interviews Database
» Random Site
» Banner Exchange
» F.A.Q.
» Advertise
» Credits
» Legal
» Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2020 BeatleLinks
All Rights Reserved