BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Apr 09, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1
LoewsJersey
Fool On The Hill

Default "A Hard Day's Night" on the Big Screen in NY/NJ

"A Hard Day's Night" will be back on the BIG screen in 35mm for one day, Saturday, April 24 at 6PM, EDT at the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre.

The Loew's is located at 54 Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ 07306 -- and is easy to get to from throughout the New York Metro Area -- literally minutes from Lower and Midtown Manhattan and Newark's Penn Station via PATH subway train, and also minutes from the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels, Rts 1&9 as well as 3, and the New Jersey Turnpike Exist 15E.

The Loew's is a classic and grand old Movie Palace now preserved and operating as a non-profit performing arts center. The Loew's boasts one of the biggest screens in the New York area: 50ft wide x 25ft high! The Loew's shows classic film every month, and last Fall was included in the Village Voice's "Best of New York" edition as one of the best places to enjoy classic film!

In April, we are screening iconic movies of the 1960s, and "A Hard Day's Night" is naturally one of them. It will be followed on Saturday, April 24 at 8:15PM by "The Graduate". (We'll show "To Kill a Mockingbird" at 8PM on Friday, April 23.)

Admission for each screening is just $6 adults; $4 for seniors (65+) and kids (12 & younger). Combo discounts are available for multiple screenings.

For more info, please go to www.loewsjersey.org or call (201) 798-6055.

This will be a great chance to enjoy The Beatles' first film the way it was meant to be seen -- back on the big screen!
LoewsJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

AWESOME. Definitely checking this out!

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Didn't even know we had one of these movie theaters nearby. I'd like to see The Graduate too!

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

In 2000 we had that movie playing in local theaters and I went a few times. It's my favorite Beatle movie and it's more fun to watch it in a theater full of fans. You scream whenever there's a close up of Paul or George; you say the lines along with the cast and you sing along and jump up and dance every time the boys play a song. You really shake your booty to "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You" and you girls especially love the scene where George, in men's shorts shaves the mirror.

I caught you girls ogling the man, so you can't deny it!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 03:24 AM   #6
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

Default The best Beatle actors???

I remember when A Hard Day's Night first flooded American theaters... it was all about Ringo... Ringo... Ringo...

Not that I don't think he's cute as a button, but I thought John and George were far more natural on the screen.

Do you recall the part in the film where Ringo takes off "Pa-ray-din'"??? :)

When the young boy is walking beside him and asks Ringo, "Why aren't you at work?" ... you can see Ringo mouth those exact words at the same time... as if to recall the script.

I don't know WHY Dick Lester didn't do a retake of that after he watched the dailies.

If you watch it enough there are lots things like that... but this was really "in your face."

... but he's still cute. :)
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 02:23 PM   #7
valerieinthegallery
Rocky Raccoon

Although I find Ringo very endearing, I could never understand the rave reviews he got for AHDN. Actually I've never noticed that little slip but I'll look out for it the next time I watch the film! Perhaps Dick Lester left it in because he didn't want Ringo to sound over-rehearsed...As I've said elsewhere, Ringo may have been the clown of the Beatles but I think George was the comedian. I think it's a combination of the stunning good looks and deadpan expression - you don't really expect a chap like that to be funny so it comes as a particularly nice surprise!
valerieinthegallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 09:23 PM   #8
beatlebangs1964

I gave George rave reviews in my favorite Beatle movie. George vs. those ad men and we can't forget George shaving the mirror in the men's loo, now can we, ladies?

George was the master of deadpan humor. He was such a panic in that movie. Ringo was cute and adorable, but let's just say George stole every damn scene he was in!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:11 PM   #9
beatlelover45223

Sorry BB1964, I think Paul's eyes and hair stole all the scenes in AHDN, in my eye's

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 04:16 AM   #10
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

Default George... :)

Well, NOT because George was my favorite, but in both bigger scenes he had in "A Hard Day's Night" -- the shaving scene in the bathroom with Shake and when those shirts were "Dead Grotty" ... he was a natural.
How many of us still smile when he says "She's a drag, a well-known drag, we turn the sound down on her and say rude things."

:)

Paul was indeed beautiful, John was naturally funny, Ringo is a dear man, but over-rated as an actor in that film, but again.... I LOVE them all and I LOVE this film. It was really the very first rockumentary! -- in its own way.

I just think as nervous as they all were in making this movie, George and John somehow managed to pull it off as actors. Think also of the scene with John and Anna Quayle ...it was as if someone filmed a very genuine backstage moment.
"Oh, you're not..."
"No, I'm not... no."

Last edited by JudithKristen : Apr 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:56 AM   #11
valerieinthegallery
Rocky Raccoon

Anna Quayle was very impressed with the way John handled that scene - in one of the little interviews on the AHDN DVD she says that it was worthy of a professional actor.
valerieinthegallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Several years back - when the film was re-released on DVD - it was running at select theaters around the country. My (now) wife and I caught it while up at Cape Cod.
The Fairfax Theater played it a few months back, a midnight movie thing. Also the New Beverly Cinema plays it from time to time... (grew up two blocks from there!) You and wifey should check it out!
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:08 AM   #13
aarenlainey
Fool On The Hill

Maybe the movie thing might of interest to someone who lives in the New Jersey neighborhood. Prices sound kind of hefty though just to watch "A Hard Day's Night." It's cheaper just to rent a DVD, which also allows you to have a beer and relax.
aarenlainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2010, 05:54 PM   #14
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithKristen View Post
Think also of the scene with John and Anna Quayle ...it was as if someone filmed a very genuine backstage moment.
"Oh, you're not..."
"No, I'm not... no."

John was soooo sexy in that scene. Oh, it just slays me.

I know what I'll be popping in the old DVD player tonight!
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2010, 06:13 PM   #15
abbey_dahling
Fool On The Hill

Reading this thread makes me want to watch it again - I think I'll watch it tonight. :)

I agree that George stole the show. Like someone else said, the deadpan way he delivered his lines, so serious, so matter-of-fact.. it's hilarious.
abbey_dahling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 12:07 AM   #16
beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithKristen View Post
Well, NOT because George was my favorite, but in both bigger scenes he had in "A Hard Day's Night" -- the shaving scene in the bathroom with Shake and when those shirts were "Dead Grotty" ... he was a natural.
How many of us still smile when he says "She's a drag, a well-known drag, we turn the sound down on her and say rude things."

Paul was indeed beautiful, John was naturally funny, Ringo is a dear man, but over-rated as an actor in that film, but again.... I LOVE them all and I LOVE this film. It was really the very first rockumentary! -- in its own way.

I just think as nervous as they all were in making this movie, George and John somehow managed to pull it off as actors. Think also of the scene with John and Anna Quayle ...it was as if someone filmed a very genuine backstage moment.
"Oh, you're not..."
"No, I'm not... no."

Paul was and is to this day beautiful. I'm about as pro-Paul as you can get. I do think Ringo was overrated as an actor as well, and our beloved George with the wavy hair stole every damn scene he was in with his delightful deadpan/sardonic/slightly acerbic wit and John was just a pisser! John was just too funny! He was such a panic that he kept the laughter coming.

Yeah, that scene with Anna Quayle is classically funny!

Old May 20, 2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Maia 66
Sun King

George completely cracks me up in AHDN! I watched it again recently and I noticed something I hadn't really paid attention to before (love when that happens! )... near the very end of the film, when they're singing She Loves You and Paul's grandfather appears on the stage unexpectedly... George grabs him and just tosses him away. So funny!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 06:57 PM   #18
beatlebangs1964

George was very sexy in that movie, even when he wore that atrocious hat.

I loved the part with the ad men and my favorite non-Beatle line was "the new thing is to care passionately and be right wing!"

George, as our hornbags will attest to was very sexy shaving the mirror in his undershirt and shorts and those little hornbags were thinking about George the way he described the shavee's tongue!

Oh, and we can't forget how adorable George was when he danced on the platform and when he sang my favorite song in the movie, "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You" and how his beautiful wavy hair looked when he tried to do a hair toss but couldn't and who could forget how adorable George was when he delivered his deadpan one-liners and when he stuck his fingers in his ears and slunk away so he wouldn't have to watch that old man.

Old May 21, 2010, 02:29 PM   #19
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

I loved the line.... "Torpedo'd again, ay?"
Old May 21, 2010, 02:30 PM   #20
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie