BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:39 PM   #41
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default I just had to add my feelings as well!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Since you asked, Scruffie...
Thanks lady!

Quote:
There are some pleasant ballads (I Should Have Known, Believe, Faithful) on the album that are nice to listen to but rather forgettable and those I've not reviewed separately as to me they glide one into the other. Here are the songs that could do with further comments.
"I Should Have Known" is actually one of my personal favorites on the album. I've always rather loved it, and Julian's voice sounds amazing on it. Very beautiful song. The others you mentioned aren't standouts for me either.

Quote:
Day After Day sticks in the mind like glue! Particularly the chorus is insidiously catchy. Can't help singing along too. No surprise this is the single off the album as it has hit potential written all over it.
My fave Julian song of them all! A stunning and beautiful piece of work. Outstanding. I always want to take a little "long live the Lennons" flag out at the end it's so dang perfect.

Quote:
Cold is one of my favorite songs on the album, in strong competition with Walls. I like the picture painting lyrics, the melody, the lovely guitar solo, the arrangement, well, everything.
Gorgeous song. The lyrics are very penetrating.

Quote:
How Many Times - I don't mind songs about the environment yet this one leaves me a bit cold. Funny with the Layla line in the chorus "I beg you please!"
This one's catchy. I guess I'm more neutral about it. Not a favorite, but still don't skip it.

Quote:
I Don't Wanna Know - More than a direct Beatles rip, this one reminds me so much of Per Gessle (Roxette) doing a Beatles inspired number; in the voice, the lyrics, the music, all of it. Per is Sweden's answer to Paul in writing gazillion pop tunes and also a huge huge Beatles fan!
I've never liked this song much. It annoys me for some reason and I just don't think it's that great of a composition. It's too "soft rock" to really be a Beatle-y type of rocker for me, and Julian doesn't belt it like papa. Sorry.

Quote:
Crucified doesn't matter how many times I listen to, I just can't like it.
I really love this one. I just appreciate the lyrics. And there's a dramatic quality to it that I really love.

Quote:
Walls is another favorite track. Music light as a summer's breeze counterpointed by deeply emotional lyrics. Julian's voice is so filled of feeling here, the piano playing sensitive.
Beautiful stunner of a song. My favorite set of lyric on the whole album! Just captivating!

Quote:
Good To Be Lonely - The simple acoustic guitar arrangement works very well here. I like the contemplative mood and the acceptance in the lyrics. A mature song by a man who's at peace with himself.
I agree. And I feel exactly as you do about this song. I've always adored it, though I'm not sure how much at "peace" he was with himself at that time. I think he was still dealing with issues, probably always will, but right now I believe is probably the most "at peace" Jules has ever been. I'm glad too!!

Quote:
Kiss Beyond The Catcher is so different from everything else that I don't quite know what to make of it. It breaks the sort of dreamy mood of the album, I find although by no means a bad song.
I enjoy it. It's about Lucy Bayliss and I think it's sweet how he says "mother" at the beginning, sounding quite like some other Lennon we know well.

Quote:
And She Cries reminds me of George Harrison, slide guitar an all.
One of my favorites on the album! I think it *could* be about his parents in a sense, and if so there's a very clever play with words: "she is his only sin/she is his only CYN"...I sometimes hear it like that, even thought that's just my imagination working!

Quote:
Photograph Smile - Somehow this song has a French touch to it, maybe it's the swaying rhythm. It evokes in me a similar feeling as a-ha's Manhattan Skyline (clip below), another song of leaving a love behind on another continent and all you have is memories. Some echoes in the lyrics as well.
Beautiful lyrics, very slllloooowwww song. I have to be in the mood for it, but it's quite nice.

Quote:
Way To Your Heart is another nice ballad but I don't much like the arrangement with the ticking clocks and the fake vinyl clicks.
It's one of those I think is nice but don't really hang on to unless I am listening to it at that moment.

Quote:
Yep, Julian got me!
Wonderful hib!! I loved your review and I'm so glad you enjoyed Photograph Smile. You're just in time because at the end of this month he's releasing his new one. I'm going to keep us informed!!
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:24 PM   #42
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
That is a great question! I'm going to be completely honest and say both. I know a lot of people may think I am being uber-diplomatic all the time with regards Jules & Sean's music and I get that, but I really, honestly feel they are both so talented. On Photograph Smile, Julian had a lot of really beautiful lyrics on songs like "Day After Day," "Walls," "I Should Have Known," and, well, basically all the songs. He has a more serious sound. I hate to say it but it is a little more Adult Contemporary, but nothing wrong with that. He has a beautiful voice and he writes pretty songs. I appreciate that. Is he a rocker? Not too much quite frankly, but so what?

Sean writes in a very poetic way. Like his lyrics for "Parachute" read so beautifully on paper. And he has a amazing grasp of analogies and idioms, but he's very expressive emotionally with his words. For example, his lyrics on "Heart and Lung" aren't complex, but they fit the music and the purpose of the song so perfectly. On Friendly Fire, Sean is very wrapped in emotion but he never allows himself to get mawkish. I adore that about him. Everything fits, like the way his heart yearns for the girl but then he realizes she's not worth it on the song "On Again, Off Again."

I believe both men have really beautiful lyrics, but Sean's on Friendly Fire always stick with me. I can't get the words out of my head if I listen to the album once- the words or the music. It's like a perfect marriage, and then there's Sean's GOASTT stuff which has the most outrageously fantastic lyrics. They're crazy and sublime at the same time. I don't know...

John had himself a couple of pretty awesome sons.
Hi Scruffie

Thank you very much for your honest and detailed opinion

I know it was a hard question, as they have both a very different style. However, I was surprised how mature the lyrics of Sean's are in "Friendly fire". Julian's first albums sound more "easy-going" to me, but this may just be a subjective impression Sean's lyrics seem to be deeper than Julian's one, but both are equally emotional to me.

Further, I'd say that neither of them are a rocker; just don't know how to describe their music-style... Anyway, I'm willing to learn more and more about their music, it really interests me now

As you say: John could be very proud of BOTH sons

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2011, 03:20 PM   #43
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Snoopy, I can't wait to read the rest of your review for Friendly Fire! I'm glad you took that plunge. Julian is coming out soon with his new one, so...can't wait!!
Old Sep 10, 2011, 09:40 AM   #44
ShinieShoes
Banned

The Cover of the Album the Single Looking for Luv comes September 12

Last edited by ShinieShoes : Sep 10, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
ShinieShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:31 AM   #45
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
One of my favorites on the album! I think it *could* be about his parents in a sense, and if so there's a very clever play with words: "she is his only sin/she is his only CYN"...I sometimes hear it like that, even thought that's just my imagination working!
Some imagination! According to a track by track commentary by Julian, he said about And She Cries:

"Initially I wrote it about my own feelings, about being in love with someone and things falling apart and just wanting to get back in their lives again. But I thought - why not make it third person, make it a woman instead? Turn the tables. Let's be fair, it does happen to women too."

And he should know! So I guess it could be a bit about Cyn as well although the sin/Cyn thing is a little farfetched!

Quote:
You're just in time because at the end of this month he's releasing his new one. I'm going to keep us informed!!
Since hubby also liked Julian I'm almost certain to get it. Don't think I'll be bothering with the single though.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:38 AM   #46
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:

Since hubby also liked Julian I'm almost certain to get it. Don't think I'll be bothering with the single though.
I guess you can download it on iTunes on the 18th, but didn't 4iiiis sort of provide us with a (albeit cut off) nice mp3 from that radio debut? I like the song. It's pretty and catchy. Very safe. I think he probably wanted to be careful with his song choice after all these years. You know, nothing too risky...but in my opinion Jules has always been rather more mainstream and Sean is more apt to be the risky one. JMO.

And I kind of like my "far-fetched" interpretation of that song...I think it makes it more interesting.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:47 AM   #47
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
And I kind of like my "far-fetched" interpretation of that song...I think it makes it more interesting.
Hey, if I can give a sensible interpretation of Dig a Pony you can certainly insist And She Cries is about Cyn!

Speaking of Julian, are you familiar with the album VH1 Behind the Music - The Julian Lennon Collection? I downloaded it so no booklet. Do you know if these are simply album cuts or alternate recordings? (As you might already know, VH1 Behind the Music is a series and for instance the Hall & Oates collection is mostly different than the official releases, some live, some alternate studio takes.) All in all it's quite a nice retrospect of Julian's career. At the moment the song I like best from those earlier albums is Make It Up To You. A great song!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:04 PM   #48
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Hey, if I can give a sensible interpretation of Dig a Pony you can certainly insist And She Cries is about Cyn!

Speaking of Julian, are you familiar with the album VH1 Behind the Music - The Julian Lennon Collection? I downloaded it so no booklet. Do you know if these are simply album cuts or alternate recordings? (As you might already know, VH1 Behind the Music is a series and for instance the Hall & Oates collection is mostly different than the official releases, some live, some alternate studio takes.) All in all it's quite a nice retrospect of Julian's career. At the moment the song I like best from those earlier albums is Make It Up To You. A great song!
Yes!! I have that one and they're all album cuts. I think every song and the way they're sequenced is fantastic. It gives a great retrospective of his career up to that point. In the booklet, I believe, there's a Julian quote where he says something about not wanting to mention his father or the Beatles anymore in interviews (this was during his "pissed off" period) and, well, he's done a 180 since then, eh? My goodness, he just had/probably still having an amazing exhibit of John memorabilia in London and even released a beautiful book.

Anyway, I can scan that booklet on here for you hib! I feel bad because I am still waiting for that Photograph Smile with the bonus tracks, and you already found them on the single. So let me know...
Old Sep 10, 2011, 12:53 PM   #49
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Anyway, I can scan that booklet on here for you hib! I feel bad because I am still waiting for that Photograph Smile with the bonus tracks, and you already found them on the single. So let me know...
Thank you for the booklet offer, Scruffie. I appreciate it.

No worries though. Maybe I should send you the bonus track instead?

It always happens when
Who don't pretend

Last edited by hibgal : Sep 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:43 PM   #50
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinieShoes View Post

The Cover of the Album the Single Looking for Luv comes September 12
Thank you for posting that ShinieShoes! Definitely a theme going...though I'm not exactly sure how I feel but it seems he has a vision going and I have to respect that.

Can not wait for this album!

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 10, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:33 AM   #51
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Here's Julian's new single and video, thanks to Peregrine for sharing it!

What do you all think?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:56 PM   #52
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Here's Julian's new single and video, thanks to Peregrine for sharing it!

What do you all think?
Well, I like the song more than the video ;-)
The video isn't bad, but I have never been a big fan of music videos.
Too many cliche images and such....like when the video was flying outside his window, I was reminded of "Free As A Bird", and then the shot of them standing together in the moonlight was right out of "Love Story"

Oh well, I'm not a good one to critique videos since I am pre-disposed against them. I'm just glad Julian has got off his duff and started promoting his new album! No matter how strong it is, he needs a good marketing effort to make a dent. Sure, his next meal isn't dependent on this album making it, but I'm afraid if he doesn't do well with this release, he may crawl back into his hidy-hole Julian needs to get out there and be more productive for cryin' out loud! Just look how much Sean has gotten out and plugged his works, hit the road, made himself SEEN! Julian needs to learn a thing or two from his younger bro', I'm telling you

Last edited by 4iiiis : Sep 16, 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Sorry, but I duped this from the other Julian thread!
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:58 PM   #53
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I know, I know...I sort of agree with you 4iiiis. It;d be nice if he toured but I guess he isn't obligated to give us anything more than his music. So that will suffice for now.

Anyway, two new Julian pics for everyone to enjoy:

Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:40 PM   #54
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Just wanted to post that Julian's Official Website has been revamped. I haven't checked it out but it looks really cool from just the front page.

Also, JULIAN'S NEW ALBUM COMES OUT TOMORROW IN THE UK!!!!

So all of those who actually live in the UK, go get it! And then pop on here and share your thoughts. I pre-ordered mine but who knows when the heck I'll get it. Anyway, I just want some tidbits is all...
Old Oct 02, 2011, 08:42 PM   #55
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Oh! And the song "Beautiful" was written for/about John! So there you go...more incentive to buy the album and share your thoughts. Go on!
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:07 PM   #56
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Alright, I had a look through his site and it's not bad. I admit, the print is similar to something I made in Tech class/undergrad, but perhaps Julian was just putting something together for the album release and he'll spruce it up later. Or maybe not. Still, it isn't easy to compete with Sean's site in originality and overall aesthetic appeal, since it's one of the best artist official sites out there (awesome forum as well!), but I'm sure Julian will be fine.

And his photographs are very beautiful!

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Oct 02, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:45 PM   #57
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Well, my album won't come until October 13th. Anyway, until then I will try and share any reviews and such...perhaps on this thread?

EDIT: maybe I'll make another thread with album reviews because that way the "critical" stuff can be separated from the fan thoughts and such...I'm sure when/if people buy Julian's new album they'll want to share their thoughts and it could easily be lost if I flood this thread with critical album review.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Oct 03, 2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:14 AM   #58
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default New Julian article!

Julian shared this article on his FB:

Beautiful what he says about Sean. I also am a little scared because he says he reads everything posted about him and what if he sees the "Julian's Outrage" thread? Julian, that's what you get for bitchin' in public I guess.

Still love YOU and your new album.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:14 AM   #59
Apple Scruff
Sun King

^Sorry but he reminds me of John in 1980 in that pic. I'm not saying exactly, just quite a lot.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:53 AM   #60
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Julian shared this article on his FB:

Beautiful what he says about Sean. I also am a little scared because he says he reads everything posted about him and what if he sees the "Julian's Outrage" thread? Julian, that's what you get for bitchin' in public I guess.

Still love YOU and your new album.
That Applescruff thanks for posting that article with the interview with Juiian.I am sure whatever Jules said about his brother Sean is very loving, caring and supportive.I have allready tryed to read it.But is no way for me to be able that article.Its just to small and blurred for me read.I can't find actual web site with the link online to post it here.Is there anyway someone maybe is able to make the article a little large to read ? Thanks

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Nov 01, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote