BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:52 AM   #1
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Default Lennon and McCartney top songwriters poll

As reported by the UKs Classic Rock magazine:

Lennon and McCartney have topped a poll of the world’s best-ever songwriters.

MusicRadar ran the survey as part of their Songwriting Week, celebrating the “most crucial – and potentially the most lucrative – music-making discipline of them all.”

And while the Beatles icons hitting the number one position might be regarded as a foregone conclusion, things get less predictable further down the list.

Bob Dylan is second, followed by Queen, Neil Young and Kurt Cobain. But Oasis’ Noel Gallagher is at number eight and Radiohead are at nine, ahead of David Bowie (10), Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page and Robert Plant (12) and fellow Beatle George Harrison is placed at number 27 in the poll.

MusicRadar say of Lennon and McCartney: “The remarkable thing isn’t how well their songs have aged – it’s that they haven’t aged at all. Born of collaboration and ending as competition, their catalogue is the indisputable and indispensable songbook of the modern era; a staggering collection of compositions that, one by one, changed, challenged and defined the times with a beauty that still feels endless.”

Link: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...gwriters-poll/

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

As a huge Beatles fan I would disagree with this poll. They are not the best.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Maia 66
Sun King

As a huge Beatles fan, I would agree with this poll. The curious thing to me, though, is the popularity of Queen. I notice that they often rank, in British polls especially, in the same general vicinity as The Beatles... and personally I don't get that. They were a good band, but nowhere near Fabness, imho.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Fleurette1967
Little Child

I totally agree with you Maia 66 about Queen. I liked a few of their singles, but yes, they seem very highly rated on British rankings like this. I don't think A Night At the Opera rates to Tommy, no way. And while I agree with inclusion of the top 15 (except Queen and Noel Gallagher) I rather disagree with the order.

LOL, Replace Queen with Pete Townshend and replace Noel with Mick and Keith or Jeff Lynne.

Love that they remembered Paul Simon. He's so often forgotten and overlooked.
Fleurette1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:19 AM   #5
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I totally agree with the top result in this poll anyway. And I've noticed this with Queen too. I like some of their songs, but I guess I dont understand the fascination either

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2013, 06:49 AM   #6
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Polls again. I think polls, especially ones like this stating preference are silly and subjective.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:57 AM   #7
peace&love
Fool On The Hill

I read the title of this poll and remember seeing the same headline sometime back in 1964.
Nothing changes.
Happily.
peace&love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:27 PM   #8
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome View Post
As a huge Beatles fan I would disagree with this poll. They are not the best.

Yes they are and countless well known respected successful rock and other music artists still rightfully say they were even over their own solo selves and own bands.Who do you think was the best then? No other music artists wrote and played as much consistently creative,diverse and prolific great timeles music,like 50 years worth in only an 8 year recording career!

As The All Music Guide says in their excellent Beatles biography "That it's difficult to summarize their career without restating cliches that have already been digested by tens of millions of rock fans, to start with the obvious,they were the greatest and most influential act of the rock era and introduced more innovations into popular music than any other rock band of the 20th century."

"Moreover they were among the few artists of *any* discipline that were simultaneously the best at what they did *and* the most popular at what they did." THey also say as singers John Lennon and Paul McCartney were among the best and most expressive in rock.

Also on an excellent site,The Evolution of Rock Bass Playing McCartney Style by Dennnis Alstrand,Stanley Clarke,Sting,Will Lee,Billy Sheehan,George Martin and John Lennon are quoted saying what a great,melodic and influential bass player Paul has always been'

And Wilco's John Stirratt was asked in Bass Player which bass players have had the most impact on his playing and the first thing he said was, Paul McCartney is one of the greatest bass players of all time,if you listen to what he was tracking live in the studio it's unbelievable." "With his tone and musicality he was a huge influence,he covered all of his harmonic responsibilities really well but his baselines were absolutely melodic and inventive."

And in an online 1977 Eric Clapton interview,Eric Clapton In His Own Words he says that there was always this guitar game between John and George,and he said partly because John was a pretty good guitar player himself.He played live with John as a member of John's 1969 Plastic Ono Band.

And there is a great online article by musician and song writer Peter Cross,The Beatles Are The Most Creative Band Of All Time and he says that many musicians besides him recognize Paul as one of the best bass guitar players ever.He too says that John and Paul are the greatest song composers and that to say that John and Paul are among 2 of the greatest singers in rock and roll is to state the obvious,and that John,Paul and George were all excellent guitarists and that George is underrated by people not educated about music but that ERic Clapton knew better,he also says that both John and Paul played great leads as well as innovative rhythm tracks.

John Lennon co-wrote,sang and played guitar on one of David Bowie's first hits Fame in 1975 and David invited John to play guitar on his version of John's beautiful Beatles song Across The Universe.Brain May,Ozzy Osbourne,and Liam Gallagher and many more call The Beatles The Greatest Band Ever.

Also on MusicRadar Tom Petty,Joe Perry and Richie Sambora in What The Beatles Mean To Me all say how cool and great they thought The Beatles were when they first saw them on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964 when they were just teen boys,Richie was only 5.Tom Petty said he thought they were really really great.

Robin Zander of Cheap Trick said he's probably one of the biggest Beatles fans on the planet.Brad Whitford of Aerosmith said that a lot of that Beatles influence comes from Steven Tyler's collaborartion with Mark Hudson both whom are absolute Beatles freaks and he said I guess the goal is to try and emulate probably some of the best music of the last 50 years which has to be The Beatles.
letmerollit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:28 PM   #9
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Also in an excellent Beatles book Ticket To Ride by Denny Somach where so many other well known popular respected rock musicians and artists are interviewed about The Beatles praising them including Jimmy Page,Brian Wilson who says he's always loved The Beatles. And Brian Wilson called John & Paul the greatest song writers of the 20th century on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show,(which had on music artists from every type of music,a young black jazz musician,a middle aged black opera singer,Steve Winwood,Meatloaf,and classical violnist Isak Perleman,who said he plays his children Bach,Beethoven Mozart and The Beatles)and he played With A Little Help From My Friends on the piano and he said he just loves this song. He also said that Sgt.Pepper is the greatest album he ever heard and The All Music Guide says in their Beach Boys biography,that Brian had a nerveous breakdown after he heard it. Brian also said that when he first heard The Beatles brilliant 1965 folk rock album Rubber Soul he was blown away by it.He said all of the songs flowed together and it was pop music but folk rock at the same time and he couldn't believe they did this so great,this inspired him to make Pet Sounds.

John Lodge and Justin of The Moody Blues are interviewed in this book and Bill Wyman and Ron Wood says how The Rolling Stones became good friends with The Beatles in 1963 after John and Paul wrote 1 of their first hits,the Rock n Roll song,I Wanna Be You're Man.

Ron Wood was asked what his favorite Beatles songs and he said there are so many apart from the obvious like Strawberry Fields I Want To Hold Your Hand is one he said he used to like a lot ,and he said he really loved We Can Work It Out.He also says that The Beatles used to have a radio show every Friday where they played live and spoke and he would never miss an episode. He said infact whoever has the rights to those shows should dig them up,because they are incredible.

Justin Hayward says that the album he always really loved ,and he said it was when they started experimenting with chord structures ,was A Hard Day's Night.He says they began to move away from the standard 3 chord thing and just went into more interesting structures .He said A Hard Day's Night was the album for him and their song If I Fell was the song.He said it started in a different key to how it ended up,and it's a beautifully worked out song and that there are some songs on that album that were very emotional and evocative. He said that for everybody just starting to write songs as he was,it was a real turn on and eye opener.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:30 PM   #10
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Also, classical composer Leonard Bernstein called John and Paul the greatest composers of the 20th century so did Elton John on a 1991 CBS Morning news show,he was asked who he musically admires and he said you can talk about your Rogers and Hammerstein but for the quanity of quality songs that Lennon and McCartney wrote in that short period of time,he said he thinks they were the greatest song writers of the 20th century.Brian Wilson said this too on a 1995 Nightline Beatles tribute show. The Beatles are in the Vocal Hall of Fame and John and Paul have been in the song writing Hall of Fame since 1987,Keith Richards and Mick Jagger have been in it since 1993,but as of now no members of The Who,or Led Zeppelin are in The Song Writing Hall Of Fame or The Vocal Hall Of Fame,The Rolling Stones aren't in The Vocal Hall of Fame either and The Beatles were awarded about 20 prestigious Ivor Nevello awards as great singers and song writers in just a remarkable 8 year recording career,John and Paul won the first one in early 1964!

They also won an Oscar for their film score of their 1970 film Let It Be.

Last edited by letmerollit : Feb 14, 2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:32 PM   #11
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

NME.COM
HOME
NME News

Bob Dylan talks of Beatles friendship
Legend admits: 'I'm in awe of McCartney'

May 16, 2007

Bob Dylan has spoken in depth about his longstanding friendship with The Beatles and his particular bond with George Harrison.

Talking to Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan talked freely about Harrison’s struggle to find his voice within the songwriting collective of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

"George got stuck with being the Beatle that had to fight to get songs on records because of Lennon and McCartney. Well, who wouldn’t get stuck?" he asked.

Dylan highlighted the writing talents of Harrison, saying: "If George had had his own group and was writing his own songs back then, he’d have been probably just as big as anybody."

Speaking against popular belief, the singer also denounced any rumours of competitiveness towards Lennon and McCartney, asserting, "They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is."

Nodding his cap to McCartney in particular, Dylan concluded: "I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up... He’s just so damn effortless.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:34 PM   #12
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Bob Dylan ,Roger McGuinn of The Byrds and music critic William Mann of The London Times as early as 1963 and 1964 pointed out that even in early Beatles songs like She Loves You and I Want To Hold Your Hand had unusual and interesting chords and they arranged them.

And as early as late 1963 a music critic Richard Buckle in The London Times called John and Paul the two of the most briliant composers since Beethoven after John and Paul composed the music for a ballet Mods and Rockers.

And John and Paul wrote one of The Rolling Stones first hits, I Wanna Be Your Man in late 1963 right in front of them. And Keith Richards and Mick Jagger were impressed and said wow,how can you write a song just like that and it inspired them to start writing their own songs.

John Lennon and Paul McCartney were such amazingly talented singer song writers that they were already writing hit songs for other artists as early as 1963 when their own song writing success was getting off the ground,besides The Rolling Stones,they also wrote hit songs in 1963 for Billy J.Krammer and The Dakatos,Celia Black,and Peter and Gordon etc.

Paul wrote his first song at age 14 and was playing guitar,John wrote heavy deep poetry but didn't start writing songs until he met Paul and was impressed that he wrote his own songs,and he too started to write his own songs at age 17,and they wrote together and never stopped from then on.Paul wrote the very pretty song I'll Follow The Sun at only 16!

Last edited by letmerollit : Feb 14, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:40 PM   #13
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Around 2003 I found an online interview with George Martin and he said that even though he has produced many other music artists,he has never known or worked with anyone as brilliant as The Beatles. He was also interviews in the 1990's on a Breakfast With The Beatles show on a local rock station,and he said that John Lennon and Paul McCartney were incredibly talented people and he said it like he still couldn't believe it.And he also said they both were extraordinarily talented song writers and great singers.

And in the excellent thorough book by Mark Lewisohn,The Beatles Recording Sessions,George Martin,and so many of The Beatles tape operators and recording engineers are interviewed,(and in the beginning there is a great 1987 interview with Paul McCartney) and they describe in detail how truly innovative,brilliant and creative especially John and Paul were in their amazing 8 year recording career.

And my cousin who was born in 1968 who used to be a lawyer,and his brother born in 62 who is still a lawyer,and their sister born in 64,their oldest brother born in 60,and their parents have always been Beatles fans.My cousin born in 68,went to England around 1991 and he told me that he was at a British Museum where the works of Shakespear,Dickens,Wodsworth and Keats,Lennon and MccArtney's lyrics are right in the same case. And he said the majority of visitors always said,forget the Shakespear etc,lets go over to the Lennon and McCartney lyrics.

When I once asked him,if he still liked The Beatles he said,best band there ever was.My step cousin born in 1958,said they probably were the greatest band ever.He saw Paul McCartney and Wings in May 1976 in concert when he was 18 and he said it was a great show.