BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:59 PM   #41
friar-park
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENTH View Post
Early 1970

Side One
1. Imagine (Lennon)
2. It Dont Come Easy (Starkey)
3. Maybe Im Amazed (McCartney)
4. Jealous Guy (Lennon)
5. Every Night (McCartney)
6. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
7. Power To The People

Side Two
1. Photograph (Starkey/Harrison)
2. Another Day (McCartney)
3. What Is Life (Harrison)
4. Im The Greatest (Lennon)
5. Backseat Of My Car (McCartney)
6. Working Class Hero (Lennon)
7. Hi Hi Hi (McCartney

It would have an great album and each song would have been better (classics), with contributions by the other guys.

All the best

Kenth
The one nod to reality one probably should make is that any 'Beatle' album after the real break-up would have to have equal amounts of Lennon, McCartney, & Harrison songs. And possibly Ringo as well. They actually had an oral agreement that any future Beatle albums had to have 4 songs by each
Beatle. So you'd probably have to take off Power to the People and Another Day (my choices to ditch) and add in something like Isn't it a Pity and Beware of Darkness (my choices). The next cd would have Run of the Mill, Art of Dying, All Things Must Pass, and The Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll) for Harrison's contribution. Add in I'm The Greatest & 6 O'Clock (?--Has a Beatle connection, I might opt for You And Me (Babe)--although You're Sixteen is a better song but to this 50 year old it sounds a bit off) for Ringo and your choice of John & Paul and you're ready for cd #2.
friar-park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 02:01 PM   #42
friar-park
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmilkpinky View Post
well thank you then darkhorse :)

I think I would take Cmoon off mine now...not sure what I would put in it's place yet. I love the althistory stories.

I love 'C-Moon'!! Leave it on!!
Old Nov 19, 2006, 05:48 PM   #43
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

Personally I believe that the old rules about album make-up could be bent (especially after "Something") but not entirely broken. When I made up my "one more album" (actually the first of seven or eight imaginary albums, covering the period through John's death and slightly beyond), I first tried to use a lot more George material than had been the career norm. But it just didn't work; it no longer sounded enough like a Beatles record. George's predilection for odd chords and intervals was throwing off the whole Beatle sound chemistry. So I opted for a strict limit of two George tracks per album side (out of a total of 6-8 per side).

The spring-1970 album EVEREST, followed the success of Glyn Johns produced GET BACK (April '69) and ABBEY ROAD (fall '69), with the Beatles first stab at self-production, while veteran producer George Martin took time to enjoy his family and rest on his laurels. Each Beatle acted as producer for his own tracks, although credit was shared on the album. The album also featured Ringo's "I'm a Fool to Care," the first full-length cover tune on a Beatles album since "Dizzy Miss Lizzy" on HELP!

SIDE ONE
Every Night
Instant Karma!
All Things Must Pass
Junk
Long Lost John
That Would Be Something
I'm a Fool to Care
Cold Turkey

SIDE TWO
Run of the Mill
Maybe I'm Amazed
Well Well Well
Isn't It a Pity
Hold On
Singalong Junk
Give Peace a Chance
Momma Miss America (fragment)
My Mummy's Dead

Please Note that I was deliberately saving a lot of strong material (including nearly everything from PLASTIC ONO BAND) for the next album, due out for Christmas 1970.

Whew. Now I remember why I hadn't taken the time to post any of this before.

Tony

Last edited by AMBOISVERT : Nov 19, 2006 at 05:49 PM. Reason: punctuation
AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 06:08 AM   #44
friar-park
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBOISVERT View Post
Personally I believe that the old rules about album make-up could be bent (especially after "Something") but not entirely broken. Tony

The 4 each 'rule' is one The Beatles actually made amongst themselves for any future album, so for at least the very next one that rule would apply. But, of course, any way you want to do cds for yourself is fine. All mine have 4 each of J P & G (except when I break the 14-16 track 'rule' --I usually do twenty-plus tracks per cd, so then it's 5-6 each for JPG and 2 for Ringo or 5 each, etc.) and varying amounts for Ringo (1-4), so I don't even always follow their (or mine!) rules!

Last edited by friar-park : Nov 20, 2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 07:38 AM   #45
darkhorse
Sun King

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth View Post
11. It Don't Come Easy (Harrison)
Why is it that no one really believes that Ringo wrote this song?

I can't really make up a consistent tracklisting for a 'post breakup' LP now because I've been listening a lot to McCartney, Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass and I see that they have nothing in common.

Whilst the first two happen to be very simple in terms of production, McCartney has also a simplicity in terms of lyrical experimentation, discovering the joys of life and, of course, just toying around with the studio tools. Plastic Ono, on the other hand, is a way too personal album in my view. It has raw arrangements, screamed lyrics, in-your-face social comments, and disposition for shouting one's weaknesses and fears. It's a very difficult album to get into, and it's one of my favorites (not only Lennon's, but EVER).

So... George's album is more monumental, both in lyrical and musical themes. The production is bombastic, dark at points, luminous at others, just as the song needs it. He shares some common lyrical themes with the other two (I think that Paul would have liked working on songs like "What Is Life" or "I'd Have You Anytime", and John would have enjoyed "Run of the Mill" or "The Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let it Roll)")... but I somehow don't see them actually connected.

Add to that the fact that what Ringo did in 1970 was an extremely boring (IMHO) record filled with covers from the Victorian times or something, and a very good country album. None of this featured his compositions, except for "Coochy Coochy", a song that... somehow I don't think the other Beatles would have accepted in their records.

It's really fun to read, I love these topics but I don't think I could ever dream of compiling one of these albums together.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:15 AM   #46
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I wonder, though, if you distilled each Beatle's contributions to their last three albums (as a kind of reverse "what if") into three solo records (and an EP for Ringo?) if you wouldn't find the same disparities of tone there that you describe on the first three solo records?

John's record would have (in no particular order) "She's so Heavy," "Happiness is a Warm Gun," "Don't Let Me Down," "I'm so Tired," "Come Together," "Yer Blues" Sexie Sadie

Paul's: Oh Darling, Blackbird, Two of Us, Maxwell, Bathroom Window, You Never Give Me Your Money, Back in the USSR, Obladi, Long and Winding, Let it Be

George's: Not Guilty, Savoy Truffle, Long Long Long, For You Blue, I Me Mine, Piggies, While My Guitar, Something, Here Comes the Sun, Old Brown Shoe.

Ringo's EP: Don't Pass me By, Good Night, Octopus' Garden

None of them would have been quite as extreme as what Dark Horse (rightly) describes for the first solo efforts, but I think that the later "mood" ingredients are all there, and who knows what they might have done differently if they had not had to collaborate with each other on this material.

I think the contrasts in tone between the three Beatles in their voices (both singing and songwriting), musical styles, and moods were part of what made the Beatles (and especially their albums) so strong. They were never a monolith; just the opposite.

Tony

Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:02 AM   #47
friar-park
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBOISVERT View Post
I wonder, though, if you distilled each Beatle's contributions to their last three albums (as a kind of reverse "what if") into three solo records

George's: Not Guilty, Savoy Truffle, Long Long Long, For You Blue, I Me Mine, Piggies, While My Guitar, Something, Here Comes the Sun, Old Brown Shoe.

Tony

I like this idea, I just did George's adding It's All Too Much, It's Only A Northern Song (so I can add Hey Bulldog to John's) and the Anthology's All Things Must Pass. Short, but sweet!

Last edited by friar-park : Nov 21, 2006 at 04:28 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:40 AM   #48
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

Actually, you can fit nearly all of George's Beatle compositions onto a single CD, which makes for excellent listening.

Tony

Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:40 PM   #49
bearkat77
Administrator

Wallrus59 brought this thread some attention in another forum so I'm bringing this back to the top.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:54 PM   #50
62hofner

My Beatle friends and I have had this discussion on several occasions... and one of them actually made a "One Last Album" mix tape (remember cassettes?). Can't recall the play list.

But, going on a 12-track album approach and drawing only from each Beatle's FIRST post-breakup solo album and/or single (sorry, Ringo didn't write anything for this release), mine would go something like this:

Side 1
  1. Another Day (Paul)
  2. Isolation (John)
  3. Every Night (Paul)
  4. What Is Life (George)
  5. Teddy Boy (Paul)
  6. Mother (John)

Side 2
  1. Beware Of Darkness (George)
  2. Junk (Paul)
  3. Love (John)
  4. All Things Must Pass (George)
  5. Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul)
  6. God (John)... although the others would have protested over some of the lyrics, John would not back down, and the song remained.

Last edited by 62hofner : Feb 06, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2012, 06:02 AM   #51
yol
Apple Scruff

What if Beethoven had completed his 10th symphony (of which sketches exist)? What if Mozart had completed the Requiem or, indeed, had even lived to 50 rather than just 35?
More recently, what if Buddy Holly had taken the bus?
What if Hendrix had lived another 30 years? What if...
(Insert example of a famous muso being taken before the completion of a great task or a lifetime's remaining work)

You can drive yourself crazy wondering what might have been.
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:03 AM   #52
wallrus59
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yol View Post
yes but it's a " good music " kind of crazy...go back to the start of the thread and read some of the posts by the myth....

the subject was taken to heart and i enjoyed reading it.

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Feb 07, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: sp.
wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:43 PM   #53
62hofner

Quote:
What if Beethoven had completed his 10th symphony (of which sketches exist)? What if Mozart had completed the Requiem or, indeed, had even lived to 50 rather than just 35?
More recently, what if Buddy Holly had taken the bus?
What if Hendrix had lived another 30 years? What if...
(Insert example of a famous muso being taken before the completion of a great task or a lifetime's remaining work)

Nobody is driving themselves crazy... it's just fun.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:59 AM   #54
yol
Apple Scruff

Sorry. Suitably chastized.
I simply mean to say that I, personally, don't get much into the what-if's. I always look at it from the perspective of what we have, rather than what we might have had.
And yes, it is just a bit of fun. Didn't mean to offend.
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:37 AM   #55
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Sorry. Suitably chastized.
I simply mean to say that I, personally, don't get much into the what-if's. I always look at it from the perspective of what we have, rather than what we might have had.
And yes, it is just a bit of fun. Didn't mean to offend.
Yes I agree, all these what if's gets you nowhere. Not sure who even posted a topic like this.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:07 PM   #56
wallrus59
Bulldog

i don't know about what ifs ..like i said..the person posting as the myth at the beginning of the thread really took it to heart , not just one more lp but several..fiction i know and it's just for entertainment.. but,if you don't like it ,sorry..bury the thread again. if this place is not to have fun..and is only serious discussions..i'm in the wrong place i guess.

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Feb 08, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: it's cold in here...bbrrrr
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:17 PM   #57
wallrus59
Bulldog

legs...you got me...did not look to see who started this topic...what if ??

gk.

Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:58 AM   #58
Legs
Sun King

Anyone have the book "Let's Put The Beatles Back Together Again" by Jeff Walker. Maybe he is the Myth? But anyway he has written a whole book about the subject. I'm reading an review about the book, and the conclusion was that one would rarely listen to the individual solo albums again. Don't really agree with that but still I might get this book.

I haven't actually made a playlist yet with one of the suggested compilations, or burned a cd-r back in the day when one still burned cd-rs, but it's easy enough to do so now. I will go over the sugestions, or come up with another one and make one or more playlists.

Last edited by Legs : Feb 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:28 AM   #59
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

What if John and George had lived to see their golden years too? It would have been cool for all 4 to gather as seniors and share their memories in an interview on their heyday decades ago. In addition, if Maureen and Linda had lived , for all 4 1st wives to share their experiences during that time in music history. They were troopers to put up with the jealous, screaming female fans.

Last edited by peanut333 : Feb 18, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote