BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:26 AM   #1
Asha
Sun King

Default Letter to Lady Wassername

This is an article that was printed in a Canadian newspaper...

So much to be sorry for...
by Bonnie Jarvis-Lowe, Shoal Harbor

Editor's note: the following is a letter written to Heather Mills McCartney, with a copy forwarded to The Independent.

I am a Newfoundlander and well informed on the happenings in my province, so I have followed with interest your recent actions regarding the seal hunt.

Yes, I do feel sorry for you. I am sincerely sorry that you are being so used by a group that has capitalized on your fame and fortune. I am sorry you were never taught the rules of common courtesy in a conversation. I am sorry you have the title Lady, as you clearly do not conduct yourself as such. I am sorry you do not know the geography of our diverse country with its plethora of cultures, and I am sorry your husband looked so uncomfortable and worn on Larry King's show.

The young boy from Liverpool, England, who was, and is, a brilliant songwriter and musician, is not the cheerful young man he once was, and is allowing his reputation to be endangered more than any seal. Because of his recent activities, Beatle albums, cassettes and CDs are being thrown in the trash in this part of the country.

Your husband, if he had stuck to his field of expertise, would always be known as an idol of our youth, instead of a person who entered Canada, with his wife, broke our federal Canadian Marine Mammal Act, and sat and watched his wife perform so terribly on television.

He looked uncomfortable and embarrassed. Now he will be remembered for his recent activities more than any other accomplishment. I am sorry you are riding on the fame of one of the true idols of our time. I am sorry you were not educated enough to know that once you touched that baby whitecoat seal (which are not hunted or killed), you left a 99 per cent chance of leaving that seal abandoned by its mother, because you would have left the scent of a human on the animal.

I am sorry you are not aware that Omega-3 seal oil capsules are manufactured here in Newfoundland and Labrador and are used to treat heart disease and various other illnesses. I am sorry you did not think things through before you yelled at interrupted Premier Danny Williams when he tried to make his points on Larry King Live.

Most of all. I am very sorry that you both were clearly misinformed and now so much damage has been done that will always be remembered, just as the Bridgette Bardot debacle is still remembered.

I feel sorry that your husband had the poor judgement to wear a jacket with Canada written across his chest. When you get a moment, would you please return that jacket? We like to keep your Canadian emblems in safe hands! I too am sorry that tabloids in your own country, papers that worshipped your husband, are not printing headlines such as Embarrassed to be British.

That surely must hurt him and I truly hurt myself to think of that situation. I am sorry this has been such a late-in-life learning experience for you both, and most of all, I am sorry this whole thing ever happened, an event which will, in all probability, bring you legal and personal angst in the months to come.

I end by saying I am sorry you both have been so used by a group that obviously misled you. To be exploited to this degree is very sad.
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:31 AM   #2
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha
I too am sorry that tabloids in your own country, papers that worshipped your husband, are not printing headlines such as Embarrassed to be British.

That surely must hurt him.
Yes, I'm sure that the tabloids printing that really does hurt Paul's feelings, seeing as they are sooooo credible and he has such a positive relationship with tabloids.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:35 AM   #3
Asha
Sun King

Yes, indeed. It's too bad this seems to have backfired. I know their intentions were good, but ... so many took it personally. It's sad if they're throwing away Beatles music... Just like when John said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. I know what he meant to say & it, too, was taken differently. Oh well, I guess if you're going to toss out your Beatles music, it's your loss. The music still rocks even if the guys have made mistakes.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:43 AM   #4
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Quote:
Now he will be remembered for his recent activities more than any other accomplishment.
Um...I highly doubt it. Only in Newfoundland, maybe.

"They're just a passing phase, symptoms of the uncertainty of the times and the confusion about us. I hope, when they get older, they'll get a haircut." -- Billy Graham, on the Beatles
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:50 AM   #5
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Quote:
I feel sorry that your husband had the poor judgement to wear a jacket with Canada written across his chest. When you get a moment, would you please return that jacket? We like to keep your Canadian emblems in safe hands!
See, I don't find this to be poor judgement at all. True, it might look that way in hindsight, but I understand what Paul's intention was in wearing it. To me, it seemed like the jacket was supposed to symbolize that Paul was only condemning the practice of seal-clubbing and not Canada itself. Not a bad move, actually, on the part of the McCartneys' publicist, although it certainly turned out to be after the show was taped. I might not agree with Paul's stance on many issues, including this one, but I truly don't believe he was out to vilify an entire country.

"They're just a passing phase, symptoms of the uncertainty of the times and the confusion about us. I hope, when they get older, they'll get a haircut." -- Billy Graham, on the Beatles

Last edited by MonaMe577 : Apr 21, 2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:57 AM   #6
Asha
Sun King

Oh I agree completely. I think, for some reason, people misunderstood his intentions or took it personally. Obviously the lady who wrote that letter did! Those who were offended may have read way more into it than was ever meant, ya know?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:05 AM   #7
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I dunno, I think the letter-writer was right on, and I applaud her for having the guts to speak her mind instead of being afraid to say something. I know that's an unpopular opinion around here, but oh well. I do agree that Heather's behavior on Larry King was embarrassing, shrill and ignorant.

BTW, Asha, do you have a link to the actual article or know what paper it came from? I would like to pass it on but would like to know the attribution.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Apr 21, 2006 at 09:13 AM.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:39 AM   #8
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
I dunno, I think the letter-writer was right on, and I applaud her for having the guts to speak her mind instead of being afraid to say something. I know that's an unpopular opinion around here, but oh well. I do agree that Heather's behavior on Larry King was embarrassing, shrill and ignorant.
I'm inclined to agree with you, Susan. I normally like Heather, but she was very unlikable on Larry King, and Paul DID seem embarrassed and uncomfortable. I also think they should have left the seal hunt alone. As the PM said, or tried to say, it's very controlled and a major part of that area's economy. This was probably a case of two incredibly rich people with too much time on their hands.
I don't think, however, that Paul will be remembered for these recent activities over his music, but the letter-writer is obviously personally hurt by what Paul and Heather did, as she may have good reason to be.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:58 AM   #9
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Well, I'm not going to fault Paul for having an opinion, even if it's an opinion I don't share. Paul saw seal-clubbing as an issue and so he made it one of his causes. Hey, good for him. But IMHO, it seems like he went into it with a certain amount of naivete. Seriously, how could you expect to go into a country, attack one of its major money-making economies, and then not get such a vehement backlash? I agree about Larry King Live: both Paul's and Heather's performances were just dreadful. The whole situation could have been handled a lot better, and out of everyone involved, the McCartneys came out of this looking the worst. Hopefully, Paul has enough sense to back off for a while, and if he really wants to continue the cause, he'll be sensible enough to try a different approach.

I don't think it was Paul's intention to turn an entire country against him, and in that regard, I feel a little sorry for him. But it's like the old saying goes: he made his bed, now he has to lie in it.

Last edited by MonaMe577 : Apr 21, 2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:11 AM   #10
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Since I've more or less stated my opinion on this whole matter on the other 400,000 threads we've had about this, I won't bother to reiterate it again, but I guess I just don't understand why some people are taking this all so personally. I mean, celebrities and other folks protest things that my country does every single second of every single day and some I agree with and some I don't, but I don't feel like it's a personal attack on me if some singer protests something that my country is doing and that I believe in. It's like so what? Who cares? But it seems that a lot of people have taken this protest so so so so personally, like Paul and Heather are out to RUIN CANADA or something, which is just ridiculous, imho.

I just can't believe that all this time has gone by and people are still all upset and so personally affronted about a little celebrity protest. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that whole "Paul's entire musical career is overshadowed by this incident" comment seems so dramatic, theatrical and most of all, inaccurate.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:07 AM   #11
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Because of his recent activities, Beatle albums, cassettes and CDs are being thrown in the trash in this part of the country.
I didn't read all, but I found this bit very stupid. Cassettes should have been thrown out long time ago, who's listening to cassettes nowadays. Also, if you have something against Paul, you throw away your Paul solo cd's, not Beatle albums.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:10 AM   #12
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart

I just can't believe that all this time has gone by and people are still all upset and so personally affronted about a little celebrity protest. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that whole "Paul's entire musical career is overshadowed by this incident" comment seems so dramatic, theatrical and most of all, inaccurate.
I agree with that. Is it really 400.000, I thought 800.000.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:40 AM   #13
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
BTW, Asha, do you have a link to the actual article or know what paper it came from? I would like to pass it on but would like to know the attribution.
I'm sorry I don't, Nipper. My friend actually cut the article out & scanned it & emailed it to me. So the copy I have in my email is of the actual article from the paper, but as far as I know, it's not on the internet where I could link it for ya. Sorry!
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:43 AM   #14
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
Perhaps I'm missing something, but that whole "Paul's entire musical career is overshadowed by this incident" comment seems so dramatic, theatrical and most of all, inaccurate.
I agree that this is been taking so dramatically! I guess that's why I posted this. Like, sheesh! Relax already!
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs
Is it really 400.000, I thought 800.000.
Actually, I think your number is closer.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:18 PM   #16
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't, Nipper. My friend actually cut the article out & scanned it & emailed it to me. So the copy I have in my email is of the actual article from the paper, but as far as I know, it's not on the internet where I could link it for ya. Sorry!
No prob, Asha, I can probably track it down with a little detective work...thanks anyway.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:04 PM   #17
matt2791
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to matt2791 Send a message via Yahoo to matt2791

Beatles cassettes... Sounds like Newfoundland can be a little hickey, a la "Deliverance"

But,the writer has a point- before you protest, gather the facts. If I were Paul, I wouldn't play in Canada- silence is protest, too
No, we need money first!
matt2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 07:34 PM   #18
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaMe577
Seriously, how could you expect to go into a country, attack one of its major money-making economies, and then not get such a vehement backlash?

Ummm I am not going to take sides in this debate because I just can't be bothered to but as a Canadian I would just like to clarify that

-seal hunting is the furthest thing from being a 'major money-making economy'. It is not even a significant factor in the economy of the province of Newfoundland which easily has the worst economy in all of Canada.

There is no vehement backlash against Paul protesting the seal hunt. People here hardly even noticed.
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:04 PM   #19
.Psychedelic.Stars.
Taxman

What did Heather do exactly on Larry King? Someone fill me in? Did she actually touch a baby seal? I hope not. As for this topic.... I know what Paul tried to do was right but he really can't just expect seal hunts to stop. Because like the article says, seal hunts are more then just killing. Did he even research about it before he came here?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:08 PM   #20
.Psychedelic.Stars.
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5
There is no vehement backlash against Paul protesting the seal hunt. People here hardly even noticed.
Haha! Especially the people here in the west. Only the Beatle fans notice.