BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Mar 05, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1
grade4
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via AIM to grade4
Default Did anyone see Paul & Heather on Larry King Live?

I can't believe I missed it. Paul & Heather were on LKL to talk about seal clubbing which they're involved in right now. It seems it turned into an all out brawl, mostly between Heather & the Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, Danny Williams. Simply, he's representing Canada and he supports animal clubbing ;)

This link goes to a clip from the show: http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...iday.cnn&wm=10

And this is a transcript to the show:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...03/lkl.01.html

Did anyone see it? Did anyone tape it?

"I get the best feeling in the world when you say hi or even smile at me because I know, even if its just for a second, that I've crossed your mind." - Unknown
grade4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2006, 01:04 PM   #2
SF4-EVER

There's a topic about this here in Red Rose Speedway. Thanks for providing the links to the clip and the transcript, though. I'll leave this topic open for now so more people see the links.

My novella, Lyon's Legacy, about a scientist traveling back to the TwenCen to visit her fictional rock star ancestor, is now available as an e-book from Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords and in paper from CreateSpace and Amazon.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:15 AM   #3
walter32
Fool On The Hill

Originally written on March 05, 2006

Boycott McCartney, Not Canada

Publicity seeking Paul McCartney and Jennifer Mills need to be brought to task for their aggressive, destructive behaviour. International experts have validated Canada’s seal hunt as the world’s most humane but this has fallen on the deaf ears of the publicity hungry Sir Paul. There is no clubbing, there is no taking of pups. Outright lies detract from the legitimate discussion that should take place.

Today I threw 2 McCartney CD’s in the garbage and sadly went into my keepsake files and extracted my Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, Abbey Road and the beautiful White album and broke each one individually into four pieces and dumped them into the trash. This was my symbolic way of standing up for Canada and Canada’s maligned fisher persons. I would encourage other proud Canadians to do likewise.
I must say that the recent Paul McCartney propaganda campaign really got under my skin. The McCartneys are world class opportunists. I would have said that Sir Paul was not as inclined to shoot off his mouth before understanding the facts, but it appears that his association with Heather Mills has caused him to deviate from any sense of reason. He has illustrated an unusual gift for speaking on matters about which he has little or no understanding. The wife of the former assistant to the late, great John Lennon is unfortunately even less gifted. Friends who saw the Larry King fiasco have used some interesting adjectives to describe her impolite behaviour but why don’t we simply sum up and sympathetically describe her as a passionate, though ineffective debater.

At one point in their Larry King conversation with NL premier Danny Williams, they served up a highly significant metaphor, of which Williams gentlemanly, did not make a big deal. The premier invited them to visit Newfoundland and to discuss the merits or demerits of the seal harvest. McCartney said “We are already in Newfoundland Danny; we’re here and we have been out to see the seals.” In fact they were in Prince Edward Island. It is not a large leap to comprehend that anyone with such a frivolous, superficial approach not only is unaware of where he is, but also does not have much knowledge of the important debate in which he is engaged. Next time pick up a phone book Paul. The big letters on the front usually give a pretty good hint as to where you are located.

As a proud Canadian and a proud Newfoundlander I find it more than irksome that Sir Paul has a sense that we need his celebrity status to instruct us as to how we should run our economy. He and his wife are vegetarians or vegans or are they on the South Beach diet? I’m not sure, but if they want to lead such a lifestyle that is fine; live and let live, but don’t foist your ideas on the rest of us. The World Wildlife Fund, the United Nations and other unbiased international organizations, not in need of a photo-op to boost an over the hill career, agree that the seal harvest is in fact a humane and well regulated undertaking.

However there is a bigger problem at issue here and I believe we need to deal with it. Canadians and particularly Newfoundlanders tend to put up with aggressive people who attack us in unjustified ways. We normally sit back and accept that our honest and laid back style will continue to serve us well as it always has; that the internet star Paris Hilton (“Club sandwiches, not seals” UGH!!) Brigitte Bardot and the McCartneys are a flash in the pan that will go away with time because they really have no foundation for the money raising positions that they hold. My sense however is that we should not sit idly by and watch this initiative deprive poor people of their right to earn a living. Some of Canada’s most economically challenged people are being depicted as monsters by the billionaire McCartney and his wife who until recently wouldn’t know the difference between a seal and a Louis Vuitton manicure set. It is incumbent on Canadians that we deviate from our usual style of taking it on the chin, while giving disproportionately important credence to the arguments of others and at the same time placing our own positions in a compromised way that is overly friendly to the opposing point of view. Should Canadian Aboriginal people deviate from the lifestyle that their ancestors have supported for thousands of years? Is it okay for a former pop star to destroy centuries of hard work and tradition?
These are not simply seal hunt photo op personalities. McCartney and his wife are temporary spokespersons for the highly efficient, revenue generating multi-million dollar organizations who supply them with gas guzzling helicopters to pollute our air in the interest of optimising photo-op fund raisers. They have been sucked into the cause and although there are some very legitimate issues being discussed, it does not detract from the fact that these poorly informed celebrities are inclined to rob poor people of a way of life. It is simply not good enough that we allow an international, uninformed celebrity to come into our home and create hardship for the most defenseless people in our society. Mills would tell Premier Williams that he is off the topic when he highlights the plight of other animals. I am sorry, this is precisely the issue. It is off topic for the McCartneys because it makes for a poor photo-op. They will not attack the corporations that de-beak and cut the feet from millions of chickens and trap them in minute cages because it is not as pretty and furthermore the competition has as many lawyers as the McCartneys. I believe it is time for Canadians to stick up for poor people and not allow the well organized do-gooder terrorists to use their hugely wealthy resources to take food off the table of hard working people. Mills said to Premier Williams:

H. MCCARTNEY: “How can your accountants not look at a 129 million lost in snow crab exports to America? One hundred and twenty-nine million lost snow crab exports to America. Sixteen million is the lost...
Are you saying you are not losing millions as a country -- you are not losing millions in export of snow crab? Are you saying that you are not losing millions on people that are boycotting? Is that what you are saying?”

And that kind of sums up their approach. It is all about the money; the money that the huge organizations they represent can make by utilizing the star power of people like McCartney who needs to feel good that his billion dollar net worth is somehow justified by his misinformed behaviour. It is difficult for these incredibly wealthy people to understand that decent people will stand on principle and not on the short term profit motive. Canadians are not in the habit of being held hostage by information terrorists.

If they want to save animals why don’t they stay home and support research into mad cow disease. Britons shortened the lives of hundreds of thousands of cattle because they didn’t have the ability to prevent the horrible outbreak of BSE. If Paul and Heather want to support animal welfare and not the most advantageous photo-op, then these two misinformed individuals might stay out of the colonies and get there act together at home, because frankly we’re doing just fine without them. Unfortunately, a bulldozer pushing cattle carcasses into a hole doesn’t sell well on the celebrity terrorist circuit.

In closing I would like to propose a boycott of all Paul McCartney related products and I would like to request that others do the same. Sir Paul’s net worth and his handlers will not recognize the reduction in sales but at least we will have the satisfaction of knowing that, unlike the McCartneys, we are prepared to stand on principle.

The internet and its powerful facility to quickly circulate information to millions of people can help to make a difference. Please forward this to everyone in your address book.

BOYCOTT McCARTNEY, NOT CANADA!!!
walter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:44 AM   #4
walter32
Fool On The Hill

The following from Rex Murphy makes for very interesting reading:

The sun will be a lightless cold ash and, somewhere in a galaxy other than our own, deep into the future, some descendant of a rock star will be protesting the Newfoundland seal hunt.

In ancient times (think 950s), when zealous Roman Catholic priests wanted to impress upon their parishioners something of the unspeakable notion of eternity, which, not coincidentally, was coterminous with the raging fires of hell awaiting the various slackers and ne'er-do-wells among them, they offered an eloquent and stylish parable. It was a kind of apocalyptic thought experiment.

Think of a great granite mountain, they said, and then think of a tiny bird that, once every thousand years, flies by that mountain and brushes it only one time with its wing. Next, they challenged their listeners to contemplate how many thousands upon thousands of unimaginable years it would take before the action of that tiny bird's fluttering wing would wear that enormous adamantine mountain to a heap of dust.

Once members of the congregation had collected their imaginations to the vast and horrible sweep of time thus conjured, there came the kicker: However long it took that little bird to wear away that great mountain, the priest would say, is not even one second in eternity.

I'm not sure if the church is as keen these days to impress upon its flock the infinite dimensions of the afterlife and, therefore, the high undesirability of spending that fathomless duration in the inexhaustible fires of hell, but if it should be thought necessary to update the parable, let me offer some alternate tropes upon which to build an equal sermon:

(a) the obnoxiousness of rock stars, has-been celebrities, and knighted busybodies -- this quality is both infinite and eternal;

(b) the egotism of cause-mongers and publicity-hounds -- take infinity, and stretch it; take eternity and extend it;

(c) watching Sir Paul McCartney talking to Larry King about the Newfoundland seal hunt -- the pompous in full communion with the vacuous.

A sermon on any one of these is guaranteed to give a fuller, more toxic feel, to the sheer enormousness of time than the dated fable of some chickadee with a grudge against a mountain.

A snail hauling a lead weight across the universe is a NASCAR photo finish compared to Paul and Larry exchanging sighs and solemnities on the "heartbreaking" spectacle on the ice floes.

The last time Paul McCartney did anything useful, that is anything remotely connected with what he may actually know something about, was when he hitched a ride on Michael Jackson's then-hyperstar status and recorded the eminently forgettable Say Say Say.

Other than that, and a few ventures at distressing Mozart's ghost by essaying a symphony and, heaven help us, an oratorio, he's "the former Beatle." And good for him. If the world ever wants to know even more than it does already about the biggest bubble on the froth of 20th-century pop music, the Beatles, then Paul McCartney, knight, billionaire, composer of Maxwell's Silver Hammer, is just the person to talk to.

But what he knows about the Newfoundland seal hunt would fit in a gnat's armpit, and what the rest of us should care about how he feels about it would gladden an even more rank receptacle. He's just one more in the endless file of soap-star intellects, preening starlets, sit-com revenants, small-screen action heroes and full-bore Hollywood poseurs, who, over the years, have given an ounce of their time to drop by the ice-floes, park in front of a whitecoat, do the caring press conference, and go back to whatever it is that they do when they're not saving seals.

It's quite a list. Brigitte Bardot, Pierce Brosnan, Richard Dean Anderson, Yvette Mimieux, Sean Penn (pre-Baghdad tourism), Loretta Swit and, to bring matters up to date, übertart Paris Hilton, are just a petty fraction of the names that have found the seal hunt their cause du jour. Ms. Hilton, who, in my view, has caused the world more pain than four centuries of the seal harvest, gave the full power of her T-shirt to the crusade against the hunt when she sported this slogan at the Sundance Film Festival: "Club sandwiches, not seals."

If Paris Hilton and Paul McCartney are on the same page, it has to be a picture book. Throw in every manic animal activist organization, Greenpeace, the Fund for Animal Welfare and the whole camera-mad crowd that have made careers, or sustained tendentious organizations, by publicity assaults on the few Newfoundlanders who actually work at getting a few necessary bucks from the hunt and you have a spectacle of disproportion that would make the angels weep.

Last summer, for a day, it was Make Poverty History. Sir Paul headlined the London concert with Bono for that monstrous hypocrisy.

Multimillionaires protesting world poverty, while keeping their bloated fortunes, is a dissonance that may peal through eternity.

As for Sir Paul and the seal hunt -- who cares? The night before, Larry King had on Roseanne Barr. Larry, Paul, Roseanne -- it's all so . . . yesterday.

Rex Murphy is a commentator with CBC-TV's The National and host of CBC Radio One's Cross-Country Checkup.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:48 AM   #5
FPSHOT
Sun King

I would propose a discussion which you may join to tell a bit more about your motives because you seem to be well informed about the situation with the seals.

So, it is obvious you are not fond of Paul and Heather and I would love to hear a bit more about this with some more solid arguments than those about what Paul and Heather should do or not do personally, or if they are best informed or not, because I wonder who really is well informed on this, with all respect.

The boycot, sorry but little chance out here. If anyone deserves a boycot it sure isn't Paul.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:49 AM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

Who the heck is Rex Murphy

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:33 AM   #7
walter32
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT
Who the heck is Rex Murphy
Not sure I understand the darkness remark.
Re Rex Murphy read the last line in the post.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:35 AM   #8
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

The "darkness" thing is part of his signature, it's a quote from George Harrison.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:53 AM   #9
walter32
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
I would propose a discussion which you may join to tell a bit more about your motives because you seem to be well informed about the situation with the seals.

So, it is obvious you are not fond of Paul and Heather and I would love to hear a bit more about this with some more solid arguments than those about what Paul and Heather should do or not do personally, or if they are best informed or not, because I wonder who really is well informed on this, with all respect.

The boycot, sorry but little chance out here. If anyone deserves a boycot it sure isn't Paul.
Your offer of a discussion is one that I would welcome. Any ideas??
As one reflects on one's past there are certain things which stand out as indelible memories: Where I was for the assasination of John F Kennedy is one of them and completely and diametrically opposite because it was such a happy experience, was being allowed up beyond my bedtime to, for the first time, watch the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. I, like others, felt let down that someone for whom we had a great deal of respect could let us down so profoundly and with so little knowledge of the facts. To be unaware that their actions may lead to a child going to school without warm clothes or enough food is, I am sorry, just not good enough.
If by "out here" you mean the UK/Europe don't worry I understand the level of accurate knowledge to be far too lacking for any such boycotting intiaitive to have any noticeable effect.
I respect your position, thanks for acknowledging mine.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:07 PM   #10
walter32
Fool On The Hill

Quote:

A fool on the hill would certainly defer to the knowledge of a respected moderator; haven't heard from you on your proposed discussion. Any thoughts?

Last edited by walter32 : Mar 16, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:01 AM   #11
FPSHOT
Sun King

Sorry, I have been quite busy with other things, lemme get back to you later today or maybe tomorrow...

In the meantime, maybe you want to say a bit about what actually are the facts according to you which Paul and Heather do not have right?

I mean, it is lovely to say that someone like Paul is not rightm but for instance you say that Paul has used "destructive behaviour"

Well it is clear you feel offended by his visit, but please tell me where he did a thing like that? I would love to read that. It's not like Paul to be like that and what I have read from this, he still was a pussycat compared to Heather, so...you are so convinced of this.. I look forward to being surprised.

Also, you say that Paul tells you "how we should run our economy".

I don't think he did...he simply asked a question and went in to a debate on Larry King. If Mr Williams like you say was being polite, then he is not a good politician, because a politician is not a host at a new year's party who is only there to nod and say "yes Paul" but had a great oppurtunity to tell the world...tell BeatleLinks people, where Paul and Heather got their facts wrong.

But he didn't and you may applaud for that, but I am not convinced yet even though you bring up good things. To me Mr. Williams made a bad performamce, sorry.

This thing from Rex Murphy I have read and I have also digged up some info about him and that made me choose to just lay that comment aside because he makes a living about being critical.

So, how is that for a start.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Mar 17, 2006 at 11:03 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:50 PM   #12
walter32
Fool On The Hill

Thank you for your reply. I have entered into discussion with a number of persons on this matter and I recognize that people are busy and not always available at a moments notice.
I will attempt to deal with your response on a point by point basis. I would appreciate it if you would provide me with the same courtesy.
Firstly when I said that the McCartney’s were engaging in destructive behaviour it was in reference to attempting to destroy the lives (not intentionally by the way, simply out of lack of knowledge) of hard working people who make a living as fisherpersons. The extremists would have us believe that the seal hunt is some kind of decrepit hobby for these fisherpersons. In fact it is a way of life. The extremists would have us believe that it is just some minor part of their income. I have lived with these people. 3or 4 thousand dollars a year may seem like a minor inconvenience to a Harvard graduate. If you are struggling to make 20,000 Canadian dollars a year it is an important part of your existence. The mostly American cheerleaders want us to believe that these people are engaging in activity simply to dispense cruelty to animals. In fact they are partaking in an activity that is sanctioned by international groups that are not in the business of building $10 million Cape Cod headquarters on the backs of contributing suckers who think they are supporting animal welfare.
This mostly US based fund raiser is a disgraceful injustice from the point of view of innocent hard working people. Don’t worry I understand the problem. These misconceptions occur all the time. We are more than aware of the American attempts to influence rational judgement. If it suits the Yanks,CNN will at some time, inform us that their ‘imbedded journalists’ have confirmed that the sealers are equipped with weapons of mass destruction. Who knows we may even get a guest appearance from Dick Cheny who will enter stage left to blow away the closest entity be they seal, protester or fisherperson. It is a disgrace that I would have thought that ‘the Brits and Europeans’ might have been able to get beyond.

On the point of how we should run our economy I think that it is inappropriate for celebrities to attempt to destroy a way of life for poor people who extract a significant portion of their income from the seal hunt. If Canadian Celebes such as Brian Adams or Avril Lavigne or Shania Twain traveled to Britain to lecture Brits on the horrible shortening of lives of hundreds of thousands of BSE cattle I would have been the first to say “Get your bloody ass out of the UK, these are decent people who will responsibly look after their affairs”. Fortunately there is no American profit maker who considers mad cow disease as a wise investment and there is therefore not a Coca Cola supported ad campaign to follow.
With reference to your statement “that it is not like Paul to be like that and he was a pussycat compared to Heather”. I couldn’t agree more. You are right. He was uninformed but not ignorant; she was another cup of tea all together. Her aggressive uninformed behaviour may have played well to some. To the informed it was at best immature and impolite.

As a comment that does not relate to any specific issue that you have raised I would tell you that the Canadian Seal Hunt has been through some troubled times to say the least. The people that today engage in the harvest are not savages. They are people who work hard to make ends meet. The unacceptable habits of the past can not and will not be denied. Times change and they have with respect to the seal hunt. It is now a sustainable, highly regulated undertaking with an understanding that the lives of the animals, like those of the cattle, chickens and other creatures that give up their life under reasonable and sustainable circumstances that are not unlike those of the commercial arbattoirs or if you live on four legs, not unlike mother natures approach to the laws of the jungle. The lion will use its abilities to seek out food; it is impossible for do-gooder college graduates to change this fact of life.
I find it incredibly ironic that the focus of the protest comes from the US. A country where people kill each other at a greater rate than any other civilized nation, a country that commits more violent crimes than any other civilized nation, a country that carries more guns than any other civilized nation, a country that has created cities where free people cannot walk at night, a country that kills more people internationally than any other. Where are we on this folks? Does this make sense? Is it not time for the UK and Europe to look at this activity on its merits and to enter into reasonable debate without taking on a petulant and puerile attitude that says “This is the way I have seen it depicted on CNN and through the American Animal Rights Fund Raising Activities and therefore that’s what I believe.
On a final note: I did not start the “Did you see Paul and Heather on Larry King Live show”. However I will understand if this subject matter is off base within the context of this Beatles forum. If this is the case I would encourage the appropriate persons to let me know and I will cease this discussion immediately.

Last edited by walter32 : Mar 17, 2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:54 PM   #13
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I have entered into discussion with a number of persons on this matter and I recognize that people are busy and not always available at a moments notice.
I will attempt to deal with your response on a point by point basis. I would appreciate it if you would provide me with the same courtesy.
Yeah some people are busy, that is what life can be? LOL

Courtesy is normal, so I can agree to your request yeah

Quote:
Firstly when I said that the McCartney’s were engaging in destructive behaviour it was in reference to attempting to destroy the lives (not intentionally by the way, simply out of lack of knowledge) of hard working people who make a living as fisherpersons.
I do not agree to this.

I am responding about the Larry King interview and to the visit of Paul and Heather and not to what extremists do, because I think there is quite a difference.

If you have read what has been written here at Links about it in different threads, you will have seen that I have written about this. I have said that asking the government of any country to completely stop the seal hunt ... is a question which can not be asked because it shows lack of knowledge. Not only for the people making a living of it, but just because from an environmental issue it is simply required how bad this may sound maybe.

So I agree there and have expressed that already. But that is not why I am still writing about it. It is about other issues, like the way the hunt takes place and the easy way that numbers are given annually. Like it is written on many websites that 'this year only 365.971' and we are to applaud about it. "Only 365.971" (the 2004 figure?) wow...thank you.. I feel better now that it isn't 562.972, so I can go back to sleep again.

I very well understand that seal hunt is a way of living for many people and also that over-population can be an issue. To me however the sad thing is how easy people talk about the numbers and how the slaughtering takes place. To me we still talk about life, living creatures.

Imagine the dinos were still among us and would make a living out of 'people hunt', that would open the eyes of those who don't care about animal slaughter "because it is only animals'.

I live in a country with a lot of fishing industry and we have rules for 'quota' here which are not loved by fishermen either, but have been set up on a professional level and the fishermen have learned to understand that and I don't see activists running around here with celebraties.

Quote:
The extremists would have us believe that the seal hunt is some kind of decrepit hobby for these fisherpersons. In fact it is a way of life. The extremists would have us believe that it is just some minor part of their income. I have lived with these people.
I know that Heather brought up that issue, a minor part of the income. Well if you say so, then that will be so I guess. [/QUOTE=walter32]

Quote:
3or 4 thousand dollars a year may seem like a minor inconvenience to a Harvard graduate. If you are struggling to make 20,000 Canadian dollars a year it is an important part of your existence.
those are simpla facts yeah. All over the globe there are many sortlike situations where people for as long as there are people in those parts of the world have lived from fishing, which would be a better way maybe to describe what they do.. like for instance the Asian region where the Tsunami hit. Most people there live from fishing, so to say they can;t do that anymore is crazy.

But...that is not the issue here.

Quote:
The mostly American cheerleaders want us to believe that these people are engaging in activity simply to dispense cruelty to animals. In fact they are partaking in an activity that is sanctioned by international groups that are not in the business of building $10 million Cape Cod headquarters on the backs of contributing suckers who think they are supporting animal welfare.
This mostly US based fund raiser is a disgraceful injustice from the point of view of innocent hard working people. Don’t worry I understand the problem. These misconceptions occur all the time. We are more than aware of the American attempts to influence rational judgement. If it suits the Yanks,CNN will at some time, inform us that their ‘imbedded journalists’ have confirmed that the sealers are equipped with weapons of mass destruction. Who knows we may even get a guest appearance from Dick Cheny who will enter stage left to blow away the closest entity be they seal, protester or fisherperson. It is a disgrace that I would have thought that ‘the Brits and Europeans’ might have been able to get beyond.
Talking about the US administration I wil stay out of if you don't mind, because I am very much against many things they do, or not do, and am very critical about their arrogant attitude.

Quote:
On the point of how we should run our economy I think that it is inappropriate for celebrities to attempt to destroy a way of life for poor people who extract a significant portion of their income from the seal hunt. If Canadian Celebes such as Brian Adams or Avril Lavigne or Shania Twain traveled to Britain to lecture Brits on the horrible shortening of lives of hundreds of thousands of BSE cattle I would have been the first to say “Get your bloody ass out of the UK, these are decent people who will responsibly look after their affairs”. Fortunately there is no American profit maker who considers mad cow disease as a wise investment and there is therefore not a Coca Cola supported ad campaign to follow.
I think the difference with the UK is that out there someone would stand up and take part of the conversation and make sure that if those celebs have their facts wrong, that it is known right away to the public, so that the celebraties will leave with their tale between their but which is a Dutch expression maybe also international, but means that they wil think twice before speaking up again and will tell the persons who invited them to make sure that next time - if any - they prefer to be well informed before asking them to promote something. That is the difference Walter, because till now, many Links members have asked here to see some sort of official reaction from authorities in Canada, but most we saw back are personal reactions like yours and of ABCKO for instance and of a friend of Asha, which are interesting, but other than that + some comments from cynical newsreporters which I simply ignore, that is as far as it went and believe me, the British won't let that happen in your example.
Quote:
With reference to your statement “that it is not like Paul to be like that and he was a pussycat compared to Heather”. I couldn’t agree more. You are right. He was uninformed but not ignorant; she was another cup of tea all together. Her aggressive uninformed behaviour may have played well to some. To the informed it was at best immature and impolite.
I believe that Heather is someone who makes sure she is well informed and if she is wrong, would be glad to be told so, but this Mr. Williams did not try, whereas he had a great oppertunity to 'strike back' in front of the Larry King viewers and also Links members, but he just did a very bad job in my personal opinion.

So you can't blame Heather for that. She speaks from the info she has and if no one tells her otherwise she will be the Heather she is and not just nod to mr. Williams and say "or sorry sit, I take it all back, you are sooo right" because he basically said nothing. And because of her beliefs she speaks up and I am glad there are people like Heather.

Quote:
As a comment that does not relate to any specific issue that you have raised I would tell you that the Canadian Seal Hunt has been through some troubled times to say the least. The people that today engage in the harvest are not savages. They are people who work hard to make ends meet. The unacceptable habits of the past can not and will not be denied. Times change and they have with respect to the seal hunt. It is now a sustainable, highly regulated undertaking with an understanding that the lives of the animals, like those of the cattle, chickens and other creatures that give up their life under reasonable and sustainable circumstances that are not unlike those of the commercial arbattoirs or if you live on four legs, not unlike mother natures approach to the laws of the jungle. The lion will use its abilities to seek out food; it is impossible for do-gooder college graduates to change this fact of life.
Good points for debate. To me... again...I am aware of the lives of fishermen and they have been there as long as there are people...and fish/seal are being killed also by other animals, that is nature.

To me though, it is the way of slaughtering. Yes there has been 'improvement' if you can call it that, but you will agree that how it has been done in the past and still is done is purely terrible and I dislike how may people talk about it so easily. "It's only an animal" .

Last edited by FPSHOT : Mar 17, 2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:04 PM   #14
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
I find it incredibly ironic that the focus of the protest comes from the US. A country where people kill each other at a greater rate than any other civilized nation, a country that commits more violent crimes than any other civilized nation, a country that carries more guns than any other civilized nation, a country that has created cities where free people cannot walk at night, a country that kills more people internationally than any other. Where are we on this folks? Does this make sense?
I can be the cynical me and add a lot to your list, but that is not the issue here. This is about Paul and as far as I know he is not from the US

Quote:
Is it not time for the UK and Europe to look at this activity on its merits and to enter into reasonable debate without taking on a petulant and puerile attitude that says “This is the way I have seen it depicted on CNN and through the American Animal Rights Fund Raising Activities and therefore that’s what I believe.
I agree fully here. Get your facts straight. But...if no one tells me what they are, ad only point to Paul saying he is wrong, then no one will convince me that he is.

Quote:
On a final note: I did not start the “Did you see Paul and Heather on Larry King Live show”. However I will understand if this subject matter is off base within the context of this Beatles forum. If this is the case I would encourage the appropriate persons to let me know and I will cease this discussion immediately.
haha cool Walter, well I would not spend one minute talking about the Larry King show itself believe me. This is about Paul and Heather

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:37 PM   #15
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter32
A fool on the hill would certainly defer to the knowledge of a respected moderator; haven't heard from you on your proposed discussion. Any thoughts?
returning the question Walter..

Old Mar 21, 2006, 04:32 AM   #16
twovirgins
Sun King

heres my responce to Walter32

Last edited by twovirgins : Mar 21, 2006 at 04:32 AM.
twovirgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:12 AM   #17
walter32
Fool On The Hill

I am presently on vacation with limited access to internet will post on my return in about one week,
Old Mar 22, 2006, 02:52 AM   #18
FPSHOT
Sun King

wow, I know those automatic e-mail messages from work

"This is Walter, I am away on vacation at the moment, if you leave a message I will reply when I am back, if you need direct assistence dial 9 (Beatles influence lol) which will take you to the switch board"

I hope you have a nice vacation Walter. Limited access to internet can be very relaxing.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 01:11 PM   #19
walter32
Fool On The Hill

I am aware that Paul is not from the US. My point is that the McCartneys and others are being strategically used to support profit making by organisations that search the globe for the best revenue generating photo op, convince people of an inaccurate set of circumstances and then return to Rhode Island to build a $10 million monument to themselves on the backs of misinformed supporters. Fundamental to my premise is that these well known people are being used by these mostly American organisations.

On the point of get your facts straight let me say this and I could provide much more material if required. I made the point on another forum that within the G8 countries, not the world, approximately 30 billion animals (yes that is billion not million) give up their lives annually for the use of human beings. If you do the math this means that the 325,000 quota designated for the seal harvest represents 0.001 % of the animals taken for human use. In other words of all the animals used for the benefit of man 99.999% are not seals. Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is something not quite right here? Why does the seal hunt receive so much attention? It is all about the buck.
A film maker friend told me that he could walk into a government regulated US or Canadian (and probably many other countries) arbattoir tomorrow and produce a film that would make the seal hunt look like a Sunday School picnic. While African children starve, we spend millions of dollars embarking on a profit making sham to save seals. Apparently black coat African children don’t make as good a photo op as white coat seals. It is all about the dollar dude!!
With respect to your comments about the UK and standing up for what we believe in, let me say that I am extremely proud of my British heritage. I am extremely proud that my father risked his life while doing battle flying with his RAF colleagues in WWII to protect Europe. I am just not very happy that his service in helping to keep Europe and the Western World free has been rewarded by persons who would use their celebrity status to put his honest, hard working neighbours out of work. Canadian politicians have on many, many occasions made their point on the seal harvest. The main stream media does not see their point as maximizing ratings the way other extremists points of view can. It is much more beneficial to CNN to cover the American point of view. It generates more advertising revenue and finds more comfort from the average American.

I am not sure that I have addressed all points, but if not let me know and I will attempt to rectify that.
ic.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 09:28 PM   #20
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
I am not sure that I have addressed all points, but if not let me know and I will attempt to rectify that.
I don't think you have, I am sure you haven't. It's all about other stuff again.
The questions an ignorant like me have are.

Are there really no alternatives for seal hunting.
Do locals really depend so much on seal hunting to make their livings.
Why baby seals
Why so many
Why at al
Why the cruel practise of beating them to dead

This is about the 7th topic this questions have been asked, and till these aren't answered the focus will remain on the seal hunts in Canada.

It's like crimes. The police is rather busy here, and focuses on the most serious crimes. Which means that smaller crimes like the person stealing my bike, gets away. Now I understand that there are more serious crimes to be dealth with, but the goverment should make sure that the police have enough men to also deal with the less serious crimes, so that all crimes are taken care off.

The same here. There are people for every good cause. Paul is just very busy with animals. Canada this time, he protested against the treatment of animals in Norway or in labs owened by U.S. companies etc.
In the past he stood up for, eh I mean against land mines.
Other people suport and stand up for, or against other things.

I don't think Paul let himself being used by U.S. media for propoganda. This are his own believes, and he stand up for things he believes in. I am really begin to repeat myself, and I have lost tracks of the topics I already explained this.

Now answer the questions so we can all move on.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote