BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Dec 02, 2002, 08:43 PM   #1
nigel64
Apple Scruff

Default Entertainment Tonight !!!

I was wondering if anybody caught a climpse of Entertainment Tonight it seems there was a Short segment why George left his sister Louise out of his will claiming he was furious over the Hard days Nite Bed & Breakfast in Benton Ill. claiming she was cashing in on it, although they did reconcile when she visted him in New York before his death !! Although in my opinion the house was saved before being destroyed by Beatles fan because this was the First place in America back in 1963 that a Beatle actually first visted before the Beatles made it big in America , I dont know why he would be mad at Louise for this!!!

------------------

[This Message Has Been Edited By nigel64 On December 02, 2002 09:44 PM]

[This Message Has Been Edited By nigel64 On December 02, 2002 11:08 PM]
nigel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2002, 10:22 PM   #2
bearkat77
Administrator

Default Re: Entertainment Tonight !!!

I'm not too sure about this info, Nigel. I know George and Louise made amends before he died. It is customary to leave an estate to the surviving spouse.

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2002, 12:35 AM   #3
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

George had to leave the money in a trust to avoid paying a huge amount in death duties. He may have left instructions with Olivia to give money to certain people and organisations, but I doubt we will ever know.

------------------
"With our love we could save the world"
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2002, 03:51 AM   #4
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I think a lot of it had to do with tax issues, but I also read something recently that although George and Louise had reconciled, he wasn't too thrilled that she hires herself out to go around introducing Beatles tribute bands (claiming that each one of them is her favorite and brings back the true spirit of the originals!). She seems like a nice lady, but some of her motivations aren't exactly in line with George's, it seems.

------------------
I go back so far, I'm in front of me...
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2002, 10:56 AM   #5
Kasey1964
Rocky Raccoon

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By nigel64:
I was wondering if anybody caught a climpse of Entertainment Tonight it seems there was a Short segment why George left his sister Louise out of his will claiming he was furious over the Hard days Nite Bed & Breakfast in Benton Ill. claiming she was cashing in on it, although they did reconcile when she visted him in New York before his death !! Although in my opinion the house was saved before being destroyed by Beatles fan because this was the First place in America back in 1963 that a Beatle actually first visted before the Beatles made it big in America , I dont know why he would be mad at Louise for this!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's funny how no one mentions George's brothers, Harry and Peter. Did they get anything?

------------------
Kasey

"All I got to do is to,to love you
All I got to be is just be happy
All it's got to take is some warmth
To make it
BLOW AWAY, BLOW AWAY,BLOW AWAY!"

(George Harrison, "Blow Away")

"Look out kid
It's something you did
God knows when
But you're doing it again"

George Harrison(Making of Brainwashed video)
Kasey1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2002, 11:27 PM   #6
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

I really really dislike Entertainment Tonights shoddy way of attempting to cover entertainment news! I watched hoping to see and hear more about the concert for George, but they only spent about 3 seconds on the concert and the rest of the time talking about George's will and the supposed feud I thought it was in extremly bad taste!

------------------
Claudia
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2002, 11:50 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Then I guess it was a good thing I missed this, although I would have found it interesting.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!
-- Beatles, 1963

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2002, 06:43 PM   #8
britle john
Fool On The Hill

[

The story on ET is bunch of rubbish!Being a member of The Britles, a Beatle Tribute Band from Champaign Il.(thebritles.com) has given me the opportunity to know Louise Harrison for over two years and she and George had a good brother-sister relationship!Lou does not own the b&b in Benton Il. as ET reported, and George did stay in that house in the fall of 1963!Believe me, Lou and George would have a good laugh over the way the press and news stations would falsify reality for their own benefit!George was a generous person to many people and Lou was no exception!

IL]joellens52@aol.com[/email]
britle john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:27 AM   #9
SF4-EVER

Welcome to Beatlelinks, Joe! [img]graemlins/wave2.gif[/img]
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:52 AM   #10
Wogew
Fool On The Hill

Always eager to invent a good story where there isn't one, ET (and earlier, the scandal tabloid press of UK) speculates that the reason why Lou wasn't mentioned in George's will was the alienation between the two that was going on for some time. The REAL reason why has been explained in earlier postings in this forum: No George hasn't given anything to ANY of his relatives in his will, not Louise nor her other brothers. Everything went to Olivia and Dhani and was placed in a trust fund for tax reasons. No ill will between any people has any presence in this story, this is PURE speculation from the press. Which of course confirms the statements made about the press by George when he was around. Once when asked about his relationship with the british press, George said "They should all be taken to the Tower and be beheaded". The press' stalkings of then still alive princess Diana was particularly on his mind when he said this.

Also, I have been a Beatlesfan for some twenty years now and I am well read (I have read hundreds of books on the Beatles and I have listened to hundred of hours of interviews with the members of the Beatles) and I can assure you this: Almost EVERYTHING (I'd go as far as saying about 90%) written by the newspapers about one or more of The Beatles during this time have been speculations, inaccuracies, rumours or pure inventions by the journalists. In fact, if this is anything to go by, regarding other stories that the press see fit to print, newspapers or TV-news should be regarded as mostly fiction. There's an old saying "no smoke without fire", which I can safely say is about the silliest saying ever, because as it turns out: In the news there's plenty of false smoke.
Wogew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 06:51 PM   #11
bearkat77
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted By britle john:
Believe me, Lou and George would have a good laugh over the way the press and news stations would falsify reality for their own benefit!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That's the Devil's Radio. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to Beatlelinks, britle john! A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 10:42 PM   #12
britle john
Fool On The Hill

Greetings fellow Beatle People!It feels quite gear and fab to be a new member of the beatle links family!If you want to receive a video of this ET Tonite story contact Mellisa at 1-800-560-0111, ext.142 and ask for the video of the George Harrison Will from Monday Dec. 2nd!!By the way,the manager of our Beatles Tribute Band,The Britles,(thebritles.com),will be logging on in the not to distant future with some really fab news!So stayed tuned to this forum!You see, Bob Bartel,was the catalyst that saved Louise Harrisons home in Benton,Il. by urging Lou to aid him in makeing it an historical landmark!!

Cheerio!

"Let me tell you how it will be "

joellens52@aol.com
britle john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 04:51 AM   #13
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

It's always good to hear from someone who isn't relying on heresay or a book (remember Goldman??) to set the truth straight. As a Beatle fan who never knew the band when they were together ( I was just a wee spit of a lad when they broke up), I am like Wogew in that I read, listen to and watch everything I can about The Beatles. But, even with this, you just never know what has been edited out of the article, interview or video segment that might give new perception to the answer being given by John, Paul, George, Ringo, Yoko, Linda, Olivia, Barbara, etc, and so on.
You and Angelgodiva should compare notes as I have inferred from some of her postings that she was friends with John Lennon before he died.
Anyway, thanks!
BTW, Britle, you guys ever going to tour the South, as in, Atlanta, GA?
AmericanBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 11:20 PM   #14
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

I wonder if George "declared the pennies on his eyes"? (From Taxman)
Hee Hee! (Not meant to say anything bad about sweet George. I miss him!)
ShellyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2003, 03:54 AM   #15
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Welcome, Joe!

I have the James Kirkpatrick book, "Before He Was Fab," a delightful book about George's September 1963 trip to Benton. George and his brother, Peter spent 2 weeks in Benton. Part of that trip was spent in Manhattan and they took in a Broadway show.

I absolutely LOVE this book and the stories about the folks in Benton who remembered George's visit. He played with a local band, "The Four Vests," and bought a guitar at a now closed shop in Benton. (The proprietor kept the receipt). I love the anecdotes of the brother-sister relationship and the stories of how George impressed folks in Benton. He was happy just to blend, although his accent, hair and clothing made him distinctive. Described as "neat and well groomed with very long hair," George was noted by his white shirts and sandals, because at that time [1963] sandals in the US were not en vogue.

George was described also as "fitting in" in Benton and the former Beatle himself said he enjoyed his stay because people related to him on a natural level and not because he was [then] a Beatle. Many people in the US were not fully aware of the Beatles and George's sister Lou, asked local DJs to play "She Loves You."

I really love that book, "Before He Was Fab."
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2003, 04:28 AM   #16
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I just saw Louise this past weekend in St. Louis. She had a table set up outside a bar where my friend's Beatles band was playing and was selling photos of George which she was autographing. Between sets of the band, she'd come up and tell stories and tell people to quit smoking. In a bar, in St. Louis. Don't think it had much of an effect on people. Rather odd, really.

Oh, and over and over again she disavowed any relationship with the B&B people....she seemed pretty annoyed with them.

[size="1"][ Jan 02, 2003, 05:29 AM: Message Edited By: Rellevart ][/size]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote