BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default John Lennon remembered in PBS special

John Lennon remembered in PBS special

Aug 05, 2010

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-pbs-special/1

John Lennon would have turned 70 in October, and December marks the 30th anniversary of the former Beatle's death.

So PBS is marking the occasion with 2-hour Nov. 22 American Masters special that chronicles his solo career in the last decade of his life, which he spent in New York City with his wife Yoko Ono. It ended tragically, of course, when he was murdered by Mark David Chapman outside the Dakota, his apartment building on the Upper West Side.

But before that, there was plenty of music and good times. In interviews, recording-studio bandmates recalled his precision,collaboration, frequent changes and good humor as he recorded iconic songs such as Imagine and his final album, Double Fantasy. How he continued a practice, begun while a Beatle, how deliberately playing D notes out of tune on his guitar (back then, so his mother would recognize which guitar was his). And how he pulled back from recording for most of the last five years of his life to focus on raising his second son, Sean.

"He was a very astute artist, and a perfectionist," Ono told TV critics Thursday. And "he loved New York so much. He said, 'Well, I wish I was born here.'" And New Yorkers were kinder: "They did approach him in a very nice way," whereas in London, "He had a very bad time becaue I was there. Everyone hated him for being with me." (Ono is often blamed for the Beatles' breakup).

The film includes audio from four or five recording sessions not previously heard. And producers found archival footage "I didn't know existed," Ono says. "There are many gritty moments in the film. Some parts of it were painful for me." But "this is something John would have approved. It was a part of his life he really loved, because it was New York ... It was his love, and also (the place of) his death." - Gary Levin
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Maia 66
Sun King

I read somewhere (probably either here on beatlesnews.com) that PBS is also going to show in November the Lennon Naked program(me) that was shown on the BBC.

Am I confused? (Wouldn't be the first time!!)

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Loony_leo
Bulldog

YAY!!!

I love an excuse to have a Beatles listening/watching party
Old Aug 14, 2010, 04:11 AM   #4
jackieburgundy
Little Child

It's going to be interesting, but his life is presented by Yoko, who I have always mistrusted. I miss the strong, witty, handsome, pre-Yoko John :(
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:38 AM   #5
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Interesting. Perhaps if I'm around I'll try and remember thats on.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan

Last edited by lennonluvr9 : Aug 17, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Maia 66
Sun King

On Yoko's website, she posted some of the articles that were published after her press conference here in L.A. about the film. Check out this quote from PBS: "It also features exclusive interviews with Ms. Ono, who cooperated extensively with the production and offers an unprecedented level of access..."

And this one from the LA Times article: "Ono cooperated fully with the production..."

Is it just me, or do those seem a bit like journalism from behind the Iron Curtain?

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:47 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I can't wait to watch this!

Our little moppy boy, John. A senior citzen who might have been a proper citizen of Boston!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default American Masters LENNONYC : Premieres Monday 11/22/2010

This is a reminder that on Monday November 22, 2010. The PBS American Masters film LENNONNYC premieres nationally.

American Masters
LENNONYC
Preview Excerpt
Watch a clip from the AMERICAN MASTERS: LENNONYC, a new film that takes an intimate look at the time Lennon, Yoko Ono and their son, Sean, spent living in New York City during the 1970s.* The film premieres nationally Monday, November 22 at 9pm on PBS (check local listings). In this clip see archival performance footage and interviews with the musicians and recording engineers who worked with Lennon – Jim Keltner, Jack Douglas, Roy Cicala, Andrew Newmark, Klaus Voorman, and Earl Slick – all discussing John Lennon’s particular genius.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...the-film/1551/

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-pbs-special/1

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Nov 15, 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:09 AM   #9
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default LENNONYC 11.22 ON PBS

LENNONYC 11.22 ON PBS

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...paign=LENNONYC

TV tune-in note from PBS:
"LENNONYC" -- American Masters’ intimate portrait of John Lennon, Yoko Ono and their extraordinary life and times in New York City -- airs in the USA on Monday, November 22 at 9pm (8 Central) on PBS. Watch a preview of the film http://go.pbs.org/35glB /
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:49 PM   #10
bearkat77
Administrator

Talking

I watched this tonight and loved the whole program. It was presented with grace and dignity. If I find a DVD copy of it, I will definitely buy it.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:04 PM   #11
bobdude
Dr. Robert

I just watched this show too. I agree with you Kat. It was tasteful and it tells it like it was. I definitely recommend this one!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:45 PM   #12
Maia 66
Sun King

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkat77 View Post
If I find a DVD copy of it, I will definitely buy it.
On pre-sale at Amazon.

I love PBS. They know how to make documentaries. That was just great. There's no one like John... not before, not since. He expressed himself like no other, a truly unique voice. Really makes me miss him.

Great documentary. Can't wait til my pre-sale order arrives...

All I want is the truth

Old Nov 23, 2010, 06:59 AM   #13
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Watch the entire film LennonNYC on the PBS web site

Watching that film last night made me feel good and sad to.It was a great documentary on John's life.It was nice to see cute little Sean with his Dad together and singing with him.For anyone that missed watching the film on TV last night.The entire film is being shown on the PBS web site right now

Watch the full two hour documentary exploring Lennon’s life in New York City during the 1970s as a father, husband, activist and artist.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...ull-film/1722/

Last edited by Peregrine9 : Nov 23, 2010 at 07:00 AM.
Peregrine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 07:56 AM   #14
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I watched most of it. And it was interesting. It didnt tell me much I didnt already know though

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:23 AM   #15
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

I finally watched this last night and cried and cried. I thought it was very well-made, and there were several moments when John was speaking with his voice and it was almost as if he were still with us, looking back on that time of his life.

But I also had some impressions and misgivings, and I hope some of you Lennon experts will indulge me and give me your perspectives.

I understand that some of the events might not have been 100 percent as portrayed by Yoko, such as the reunion after the MSG concert. Is there a widely accepted version of how John and Yoko got back together?

I know Sean was just a little boy when his dad died and he maybe isn't going to be the best documentary source, but after the third or fourth clip of a musician or journalist or whoever going "SQUEEEEEE that's JOHN LENNON sitting right across from me," I really really wished there'd been a few seconds from Sean. Was he aware that his father was one of the most famous people ever to walk the Earth, or was he just plain Dad to him, or when did he realize just how big an icon John was? KWIM?

I really felt for Yoko, especially when she related the story of John having noisy sex with some random woman at a party while she was right there in the next room. Wow, I just felt sick for her, and I was impressed at the way she was able to forgive John (I didn't think she was rationalizing or excusing what he did; I thought she had come to terms with it in a very loving way). But at other times, I found myself thinking, "Well, this is the story according to Yoko and she might not always be the most reliable witness." It's also fascinating to me how her art and music have this wonderfully wacky, whimsical quality, but it seems to be tempered by what I see as a calculating (sometimes even mean) streak. Am I way off base there?

My heart went pitter-patter when Paul and Ringo turned up briefly, and while I can understand why their voices weren't included, I couldn't help wishing they had been.

The part that really got me was "Starting Over." The tears had been starting to well up before that point, but I was just sobbing when he started singing.

Ultimately, the impression I took away was that John had finally found peace within himself. I really, really want that to be true.
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:30 PM   #16
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianCadence View Post
I understand that some of the events might not have been 100 percent as portrayed by Yoko, such as the reunion after the MSG concert. Is there a widely accepted version of how John and Yoko got back together?
No, it's still a matter of some confusion. Although they were talking about getting back together before the MSG show, they didn't actually do so until 2 months later. But it is pretty widely accepted that Elton John did not actually bring them back together by inviting Yoko backstage unbeknownst to John. Who exactly created the myth is not certain, but I have always believed that it was Elton himself because 1) he's into grand gestures and 2) I remember when it happened and I thought, "Oh yeah, right." (But I was only 11...)

Quote:
Was he aware that his father was one of the most famous people ever to walk the Earth, or was he just plain Dad to him, or when did he realize just how big an icon John was? KWIM?
He knew his dad was a Beatle and he knew the Beatles were famous, but he was only 5 so how much could he truly understand? Very soon after the murder, however, he began to get it... and he was always fully aware of the level of dad's fame after that.

Quote:
It's also fascinating to me how her art and music have this wonderfully wacky, whimsical quality, but it seems to be tempered by what I see as a calculating (sometimes even mean) streak. Am I way off base there?
No, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Yoko attributes her toughness to the time during/after the war when she and her brother were living in the country and they had to beg for food. They were treated very badly by the countryfolk. (There are several versions of this story, too, however... each one with a varying level of hardship.)

Quote:
Ultimately, the impression I took away was that John had finally found peace within himself. I really, really want that to be true.
So do I, but in my heart of hearts, I don't think he ever truly did. He did calm down a bit and was less miserable than he had been, but he was still prone to depression and anxiety. He just sort of learned to accept things a bit better than when he was a youngster. Have you read the Jonathan Cott interview in Rolling Stone? Broke my heart the way he talked so honestly about how Sean had to put up with his ups and downs...

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 17, 2010, 09:55 PM   #17
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Yoko attributes her toughness to the time during/after the war when she and her brother were living in the country and they had to beg for food. They were treated very badly by the countryfolk. (There are several versions of this story, too, however... each one with a varying level of hardship.)
She does seem to get this "stoic" expression a lot, almost as if she is retreating. Or, I should say, she did seem to adopt that expression a lot back in the day. This would seem to help explain that.

Quote:
He did calm down a bit and was less miserable than he had been, but he was still prone to depression and anxiety. He just sort of learned to accept things a bit better than when he was a youngster. Have you read the Jonathan Cott interview in Rolling Stone? Broke my heart the way he talked so honestly about how Sean had to put up with his ups and downs...
Ah, I hope he'd at least made a good start. I don't think I have read that interview; I will have to seek it out. Thank you for sharing your John knowledge and thoughts with me.
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:29 AM   #18
Badgirl66
Banned

best doku since imagine
Badgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote