BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Fly
Dr. Robert

Wink My issue with those who say John was looking for a 'mother figure' with Yoko

I just came out of that Epstein thread again with the never-bending Snoopy and it got me thinking about this theory people have latched on to regarding the John and Yoko union. Since I've been pretty absent here for some time I thought I'd shake it up. Only there are so many threads in this forum and I'm sure this topic has been addressed one or 30 times before, but what the hell.

So a lot of people say John was looking for a 'mother figure' when he got with Yoko. Older woman, he called her 'mother,' he seemed to be 'dependent' on her to some level, right? While I was surfing around I found this quote from Pattie Boyd's book:

“I liked Cynthia, but of all the Beatle wives and girlfriends I found her the most difficult to make friends with. She and I came from such different backgrounds; she had no career, she was a young mother, and we had no point of reference apart from attachment to a Beatle. She wasn’t like my friends, who enjoyed a giggle and some fun: she was rather serious, and often, I thought, behaved more like John’s mother than his wife.” -Pattie Boyd

Behaved more like "JOHN'S MOTHER than his wife" you say Pattie? Well golly gee. Why the hell would he need to find himself a 'mother figure' then if he already had a pretty, sweet one at home?

You know what I think? I think this 'mother figure' thing is just something people have used to try and 'explain' Yoko. It's like they can't comprehend why a man who could have any woman he wanted would choose some older "ugly" Asian lady with an embarrassing art background. It's still incomprehensible to them.

No one ever thinks that maybe, perhaps, John saw something in Yoko that he hadn't seen in any of those other women (or men) that crossed his path. Love is sometimes inexplainable like that.

I DO believe John had issues with his mom and needing someone to help balance the emotional roller-coasters he was prone to. He also needed guidelines and someone to tell him 'no' and not sugar-coat every time he opened his mouth. I believe Yoko provided this, as well as a partner. Snoopy is right about the 'intellectual' part. I personally don't think Cynthia was anywhere NEAR Yoko's level there- let alone John's. And I think Cynthia was far too passive and dull as well. John would have probably retired early and moved to some pretty little villa in Monte Carlo if he'd stayed with her. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I know she threw a rench in those plans for you, Snoopy, but I'm thanking Yoko's existence because I'm so glad John decided to sail that ship and give us everything he did once he hooked up with her. Others can share what they want on the matter. I'm out for now.

Last edited by bearkat77 : Feb 06, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

That's a very interesting point, Fly. I think people tend to over-simplify John and Yoko's relationship. It's so easy to say, "Oh she was a mother figure" but no one really knows what their relationship really was like unless they were there.

I think maybe John gravitated towards women who may have had a more mature nature- so that he didn't have to be the one doing all the protecting or nurturing. Or maybe John brought out the maternal instinct in these women. In any case, Yoko and Cynthia were both considered to be the less emotionally fragile partner in their respective relationships.

But John's relationships, I'm certain, were not solely based on his feeling a sense of security and needing mothering from his wife. There was far more to both marriages and I think Yoko simply gave John what he needed OUTSIDE of some kind of replacement mother figure as well. She stimulated him on all fronts- especially intellectually and, to some degree that really jived with him, artistically.

Love is a complex thing. You can't really write out a set of rules and expect them to apply for all people. Every couple is different.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:56 PM   #3
ChrisG134
Sun King

You see their relationship one way,we see it another.None of us know.They might have been all loving in public and fight when they get home.We''ll just have to agree to dis agree on Yoko.They called her a mother figure cause he called Yoko mother.Thats where people got it from.He might of thought it was cute.I would be offened if my husband said it to me.I'm a wife not a mother.To each his own.Some people don't like Yoko .Don't take offence.I'm not bad mouthing her.I could take her or leave her.I don't care for her music,but that's not my taste.Just let it go.

Last edited by ChrisG134 : Feb 06, 2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
ChrisG134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4
hibgal
Sun King

I'm going to be so shocking to say that I basically agree with you, Fly! ( <- Fly )

'Mother'

First of all, too much have been made of John calling Yoko 'Mother'. It does NOT mean he had Oedipus complex or looked for a mother figure or any other pseudo-psychological claptrap. 'Mother' was a common way for men of John's generation and background (British working/middle class) to reref to the woman of the house. It was a term of endearment, nothing less, nothing more. Back then married women where supposed to become mothers. Then we had the female revolution and today it's considered a derogatory chauvinistic no-no but that's now. It wasn't true when John called Yoko 'Mother'.

Second, Yoko wasn't particularly motherly. She was hanging out with her artist friends, not staying home taking care of her daughter. If she truly had been a mother figure she'd not divorced her husband and pretty much abandoned her daughter. She can say what she will but a truly motherly woman, whose nurturing instinct is above all else would do what it takes to keep her child, even to the point of staying married to the dim-lube she hooked up with by mistake.

Adult relations

Third, by the mid-60s I don't think John was looking for a mother. Yes, he had his scars from a difficult childhood but they were not what governed his life. As I said in the aforementioned thread, John was getting bored with the adulation and wanted something more, something to stimulate him mentally, somebody who could meet him on an equal footing and that's what he found with Yoko. It was an adults relationship between adults - not a teenage romance like the one with Cynthia or the sibling rivalry with the band. Yoko was mature not maternal. There is a difference!

Fan reactions

The main reason John's relationship with Yoko has always been looked at squiggly-eyed isn't because it was anything wrong with it as such but because he let his fans down. All those who lived vicariously through John. The correct behavior for a world famous rock star is to have a stunningly beautiful woman hanging on your arm, something for Mr Average Guy to dream of. To have all those advantages and then hook up with an older, rather average looking woman, why, it was flying in the face of providence! It Was Not Done! Taking drugs and getting drunk and jump women left and right was okay but what John did was unforgiveable. Hence all these silly theories on why why why Yoko.

See, I told you we mainly agree, Fly!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG134 View Post
You see their relationship one way,we see it another.None of us know.They might have been all loving in public and fight when they get home.We''ll just have to agree to dis agree on Yoko.They called her a mother figure cause he called Yoko mother.Thats where people got it from.He might of thought it was cute.I would be offened if my husband said it to me.I'm a wife not a mother.To each his own.Some people don't like Yoko .Don't take offence.I'm not bad mouthing her.I could take her or leave her.I don't care for her music,but that's not my taste.Just let it go.
Chris, I think these discussions are AWESOME. To be perfectly honest, disagreeing on some topics and discussing them in a civilized way- as we all are- is really what Menlove is about. I appreciate your input and there are soooooo many who agree with you. I'm just one who sees it from a different angle. But let's keep this discussion going.

I wonder in what way Cynthia and Yoko differed in the way they "mothered" John? What made John call Yoko "Mother" but Cynthia just "Cyn." And I won't dismiss what Pattie said because she was certainly one of the key witnesses to The Beatles and their interactions with one another and those around them. She was never really a favorite of mine, mind you, but I did like her book to some degree.

If you think about, each one of the Beatles ended up with a lady very different from their first wife/great love. It's almost as if they were peeling away something that belonged to that time period/era or who they were then, growing and maturing more and finding their 'great love' to fit the person they would eventually become.

People just didn't really like that John had no problem saying "this is who I am" when he was with Yoko, no matter how poorly fans responded to her. He didn't try to hide her to keep them happy or make excuses. He made Yoko part of everything he did and I think that could have been the biggest gripe everyone had.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Second, Yoko wasn't particularly motherly. She was hanging out with her artist friends, not staying home taking care of her daughter. If she truly had been a mother figure she'd not divorced her husband and pretty much abandoned her daughter. She can say what she will but a truly motherly woman, whose nurturing instinct is above all else would do what it takes to keep her child, even to the point of staying married to the dim-lube she hooked up with by mistake.
Hib, I really loved every one of your explanations so much but this one really struck me. Wow. I actually never thought about this. Not to besmirch Yoko in any way, but you are so right on about her maternal nature. Perhaps in the conventional regard of what it means to be a mother, Yoko may not have met the standard. Although no one can say she didn't love Kyoko dearly, she certainly wouldn't fall under the 'typical mother' category in her day. I also don't know if I have ever looked at Yoko and thought, "Wow, what a nurturing kind of lady she seems."

Of course appearances can deceive and John and Yoko were not Yoko and Kyoko. John, as well know, demanded quite a lot from his mate. Some of it could have been verbalized and some could have just been him. Like I said, he seemed (to me) to be the kind of man who brought that type of behavior out in his significant others. But still...you've given me so much to ponder over here.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
No one ever thinks that maybe, perhaps, John saw something in Yoko that he hadn't seen in any of those other women (or men) that crossed his path. Love is sometimes inexplainable like that.
Yeah, we can't forget that John was a freak... he thought of himself as a freak, in any case. "No one I think is in my tree" and all that. His years in the sunroom at Kenwood contemplating the cosmos made him realize that he needed to follow his freak heart to be released from Beatles jail.

In comes the very freaky Yoko. He circles her for a while until he realizes she's the real deal. A mentor. An artistic mentor. Like Julia. Like Stuart. Like Paul. And she's a freak like him.... maybe even freakier.

What makes me scratch my head are the Lennon fans who complain that Yoko was not nurturing. Ummm... have they never listened to the song Girl?? John laid out pretty clearly what kind of woman he was looking for. (See also I'll Be Back.)

Now, when will you be buzzing back here, dear Fly? Or are you just gonna stir the $#!t and flit away?

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:23 PM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post

Now, when will you be buzzing back here, dear Fly? Or are you just gonna stir the $#!t and flit away?
I agree! She needs to stick around for goodness sakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66
What makes me scratch my head are the Lennon fans who complain that Yoko was not nurturing. Ummm... have they never listened to the song Girl?? John laid out pretty clearly what kind of woman he was looking for. (See also I'll Be Back.)
Oh my gawd.

"She's the kind of girl who puts you down
When friends are there, you feel a fool.
When you say she's looking good
She acts as if it's understood.
She's cool"

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Feb 06, 2013 at 07:24 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:35 PM   #9
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Well, if you're going to say that Yoko strikes you as the 'hugs and kiss it better' mother type there's no way on Earth I can believe you. That's what people mean with a mother figure. There is a nurturing of the spirit and yes, I agree she did that but I go bail she was no substitute ma. Rather insulting, really, to say that was all the use John had for her. And, not that you do so, but that is what the "Yoko was a mother figure" clique do claim! Anyway, you don't always get everything you're looking for in a partmer but enough to be reasonably happy with your choice.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Maia 66
Sun King

Okay, this is kind of random and probably belongs in the Random Discussion thread, but whatever, this is a trending thread, so.......

Found this quote by Yoko, which came from one of the White Album bootlegs. She recorded these thoughts as the boys were working on Revolution 1 in the adjoining room:

After the initial embarrassment, thatÖ um, now, Paul is being very nice to me. Heís nice and aĖa very, um, strĖ on the level, straight sense. Like, um, whenever thereís something happening at Apple, he explains to me, as if I should know, [inaudible] and things like that. And also whenever thereís something like, they need a light man or something like that, he asks me if I know of anybody in the art world, and things like that. And like, um, I can see that heís just now suddenly changing his attitude, like heís beingĖheís treating me with respect. Not because itís meÖ but because I belong to John. I hope thatís what it is, because that would be nicer. And I feel like heís my younger brother or something like that. Iím sure that if he had been a woman, or something, he would have been a great threat, because thereís something definitely very strong between John and Paul.

John knew that if he was going to break that strong bond he would have to replace it with something even stronger...

All I want is the truth

Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Well, if you're going to say that Yoko strikes you as the 'hugs and kiss it better' mother type there's no way on Earth I can believe you.
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm saying that John himself described his "dream girl" and she was not at all the nurturing type.

All I want is the truth

Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Iím sure that if he had been a woman, or something, he would have been a great threat, because thereís something definitely very strong between John and Paul.[/i]

John knew that if he was going to break that strong bond he would have to replace it with something even stronger...
You always bring the goods, Maia. I never read that anywhere before. It's fascinating the things that pop up all the years later. That's what I adore about The Beatles/John fandom. It's crazy how things that may have been discussed ad-nauseum are still so interesting and can floor me at times.

I think we've all discussed the John/Paul bond and how deep it was. It was different from Stuart and John, but there was something completely singular about what John and Paul had together. To this day, I am pretty certain Paul would say John was his truly greatest artistic partner and I know in his [already entitled] mind that that is something that he feels makes him even a little more special. I mean, it's not just words. They were partners and their bond was absolute genius. I think Paul felt the external force pulling him and John apart. There were so many...so many things happening at the time in each of their lives. But Yoko was a huge part of John's change and Paul had to feel as threatened as Yoko did entering this foreign world.

It's kind of awesome, in a way. Yoko and Paul are both alive and friendly now. But they have that in common. They were both so much a part of John...

I can't find that quote. Someone PLEASE find it...the one where John says about how he only chose two people to work wth- Paul and Yoko. I love the way John says it, not my paraphrase.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:53 AM   #13
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
I So a lot of people say John was looking for a 'mother figure' when he got with Yoko. Older woman, he called her 'mother,' he seemed to be 'dependent' on her to some level, right? While I was surfing around I found this quote from Pattie Boyd's book:

ďI liked Cynthia, but of all the Beatle wives and girlfriends I found her the most difficult to make friends with. She and I came from such different backgrounds; she had no career, she was a young mother, and we had no point of reference apart from attachment to a Beatle. She wasnít like my friends, who enjoyed a giggle and some fun: she was rather serious, and often, I thought, behaved more like Johnís mother than his wife.Ē -Pattie Boyd

Behaved more like "JOHN'S MOTHER than his wife" you say Pattie? Well golly gee. Why the hell would he need to find himself a 'mother figure' then if he already had a pretty, sweet one at home?

You know what I think? I think this 'mother figure' thing is just something people have used to try and 'explain' Yoko. It's like they can't comprehend why a man who could have any woman he wanted would choose some older "ugly" Asian lady with an embarrassing art background. It's still incomprehensible to them.
Personally, I don't give much importance to Pattie Boyd's quote, she wasn't enough close to John and Cyn IMHO. I give more attention to accounts coming from people/friends who worked/knew the couple well in the 70's. There are many accounts (although they may not be all true, but even then) that Yoko often treated John "like a child" (and obviously, he was weak enough to accept that); there is even a quote by Yoko herself "I got two babys, Sean and John". I mean, who would invent such a quote ? Just saying... and such stories are certainly not made up by Cyn's fans.
By the way, this sounds terrible to me, my musical hero being treated like a child by his own wife in the last years of his life, what a shame...

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:14 AM   #14
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Yoko often treated John "like a child" (and obviously, he was weak enough to accept that); there is even a quote by Yoko herself "I got two babys, Sean and John". I mean, who would invent such a quote ? Just saying... and such stories are certainly not made up by Cyn's fans.
By the way, this sounds terrible to me, my musical hero being treated like a child by his own wife in the last years of his life, what a shame...
Comparing your husband to a child: Yoko's comment oozes rancor and is motivated by resentment at the partner's perceived lack of maturity, not twarted maternal instincts. A motherly woman doesn't think like this. I know because my mom is one of those 'everybody is my child, let me hug you' nurturing women. If Yoko had wanted John to depend on her as a child on his mother, she wouldn't have thought and even less said those words. Rather it was exasperation that he shirked his duty as an adult (as she saw it) and expected her do it all; as if she was the only one that had to be adult and responsible, which irked her. I'm no Yoko fan but, in this instance, it certainly seems to me that it was John not shouldering his responsibilities, rather than him goodnaturedly 'letting' Yoko treat him as a child that was the cause of her remark. It cut both ways, you know?

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Comparing your husband to a child: Yoko's comment oozes rancor and is motivated by resentment at the partner's perceived lack of maturity, not twarted maternal instincts. A motherly woman doesn't think like this. I know because my mom is one of those 'everybody is my child, let me hug you' nurturing women. If Yoko had wanted John to depend on her as a child on his mother, she wouldn't have thought and even less said those words. Rather it was exasperation that he shirked his duty as an adult (as she saw it) and expected her do it all; as if she was the only one that had to be adult and responsible, which irked her. I'm no Yoko fan but, in this instance, it certainly seems to me that it was John not shouldering his responsibilities, rather than him goodnaturedly 'letting' Yoko treat him as a child that was the cause of her remark. It cut both ways, you know?
Not only this, but people are missing the point that John Lennon really couldn't have a "normal" or "typical" relationship with whomever he was involved with (girlfriend/wife/lover). He was a self-proclaimed 'odd' person, as Maia explained. Therefore, John calling Yoko "mother" or her casual asides about him behaving like a child seem rather harmless. That was how they functioned. It might not fit most people's definition of a "normal" or "healthy" relationship, but it worked for John and Yoko.

I mean, what he had with Cynthia- where they'd sit for hours and speak very little or he'd be sleeping all day- is that what you would consider more normal Snoopy? I'm just curious as to what you think makes John and Yoko's union so...wrong to you.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:51 PM   #16
hibgal
Sun King

Default Perfectly normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Therefore, John calling Yoko "mother" or her casual asides about him behaving like a child seem rather harmless.
Well, when John grew up calling the wife 'Mother' WAS normal! It's no more strange than a child calling his parents Mom and Dad. It's a non-issue and only people trying to find something to point finger to would make a big deal about it. Also, I have met plenty of women making exactly the same comment as Yoko about the child nature of their mate. Their relationships were 'odd' too? Not a single person every said so to me. But because this is JOHN LENNON then it matters and what is nothing at all is built into something by people that obviously need a life. Sorry, but I get sooooo tired when what is perfectly normal and common is turned into not quite acceptable because the person[s] involved are famous. Gimme a break! Hey Fly, come and say something to the point. You know I don't use such words.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:02 PM   #17
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Personally, I don't give much importance to Pattie Boyd's quote, she wasn't enough close to John and Cyn IMHO. I give more attention to accounts coming from people/friends who worked/knew the couple well in the 70's. There are many accounts (although they may not be all true, but even then)
Well, that's just silly, that is. You reveal here the basic and egregious flaw in your argument... that you base your opinions on accounts that may or may not be true!

You actually dismiss Pattie's opinion because you think she wasn't close enough to John and Cyn? Pattie was like family, for Pete's sake... the boys were like four brothers at that time, and their women were very much involved in each others' lives. Not only did George and Pattie go on their first acid trip with John and Cyn, but they vacationed with them, hung out at Kenwood and Kinfauns all the time, went to parties and discos together... how much closer do you want them to be?? I mean, you give much more credence to people who worked with John and Yoko in the '70s than to someone who was actually in John's inner circle. That's not logical.

Snoopy, I actually try not to respond to your stuff because I know it makes you feel "attacked" when I disagree with you... but what you say here just proves that your opinion is not based on actual facts.

All I want is the truth

Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:03 PM   #18
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Well, when John grew up calling the wife 'Mother' WAS normal! It's no more strange than a child calling his parents Mom and Dad. It's a non-issue and only people trying to find something to point finger to would make a big deal about it. Also, I have met plenty of women making exactly the same comment as Yoko about the child nature of their mate. Their relationships were 'odd' too? Not a single person every said so to me. But because this is JOHN LENNON then it matters and what is nothing at all is built into something by people that obviously need a life. Sorry, but I get sooooo tired when what is perfectly normal and common is turned into not quite acceptable because the person[s] involved are famous. Gimme a break! Hey Fly, come and say something to the point. You know I don't use such words.

You are correct about none of the above things really being 'odd' about the John/Yoko union. I guess my former response was more regarding other aspects of their relationship. You know, they weren't an atypical couple in many ways. And yet, there was something very real about them. They just 'fit,' you know. I recall that interview of Sean's where he said his parents wore very little (to no) clothing around the house. I'm sure that would be shocking to some, but it just sounds like John and Yoko to me.

But, yes, I know a lot of my friends complain now and then about their significant others to me. And I think far worse things are said than anything synonymous to "immature" or "like a child" come up.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I can't find that quote. Someone PLEASE find it...the one where John says about how he only chose two people to work wth- Paul and Yoko. I love the way John says it, not my paraphrase.
"I only ever asked two people to work with me as a partner. One was Paul McCartney and the other Yoko Ono." That's the quote that floats all over the internet, but it comes from a "lost" tape that I haven't heard and I'd loooooooove to find a link for. (I'm looking at you, wallrus59!) I kind of doubt the validity.... until I hear the tape or see an actual transcript.

"Throughout my career, I've selected to work with -- for more than a one-night stand, say, with David Bowie or Elton John -- only two people: Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono. I brought Paul into the original group, the Quarrymen; he brought George in and George brought Ringo in. And the second person who interested me as an artist and somebody I could work with was Yoko Ono. That ain't bad picking." That came from the 1980 Rolling Stone interview.

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Feb 07, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Pattie was like family, for Pete's sake... the boys were like four brothers at that time, and their women were very much involved in each others' lives. Not only did George and Pattie go on their first acid trip with John and Cyn, but they vacationed with them, hung out at Kenwood and Kinfauns all the time, went to parties and discos together... how much closer do you want them to be?? I mean, you give much more credence to people who worked with John and Yoko in the '70s than to someone who was actually in John's inner circle.
This is all true. This is kind of what impressed that quote into my mind as well, Maia. I know how much time John and George spent together- vacationing as well as hanging out leisurely. They went to premieres and events and parties, etc. together and their wives were with them! Plus, Pattie's book was really very tastefully done. She didn't have an ax to grind, so her motives behind these recollections seem more like sharing a great part of one's youth with the world- memories of her times with amazing people who touched her life.

Most of the people that wrote books on John and Yoko in the 80s onward seemed to be motivated by...other things. I know I'm somewhat hypocritical here because I have bought many of those books and read them. But it was always with a grain of salt because some of it just seemed laced with vindictiveness or trying to really burn the "John and Yoko" myth. I think Pattie's feelings on Cyn seem very sincere. I hate to go by appearances, but Cynthia always seemed so much more reserved and 'older' than the other wives. Even Maureen.