BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Apr 20, 2006, 07:09 PM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default "Hello, Goodbye" Being Used For Chase Bank Commercial

Look what we heard on the radio and saw on the telly: a really bad version of "Hello, Goodbye" being used for Chase Bank. Who owns the rights to the song? Michael Jackson. Or did he sell the rights to "Hello, Goodbye" to Sony. Are they to blame for this?

"Hello, Goodbye" Being Used For Chase Bank Commercial

April 17, 2006--Chase says hello to Michigan next week as 258 Bank One branches in the state are changed to Chase, the consumer and commercial banking brand of JPMorgan Chase & Co.

The name change results from the 2004 merger of Bank One with JPMorgan Chase. The April 24 brand change in Michigan and Florida completes the shift to the Chase brand of more than 1,900 Bank One branches in 17 states.

Marketing blitz

Chase kicks off its advertising campaign April 17 with a 30-second television commercial that invites current and new customers to come into the bank's offices and say "Hello" to the new brand. The commercial is set to a rendition of the Beatles' 1967 hit song, "Hello, Goodbye." Starting in May, commercials will highlight Chase's products and services.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Ringo77
Apple Scruff

Yeah. I just saw a commercial the other day (if I'm not mistaken, it was a bank too) that used "Got to Get You Into My Life". As long as it's not the Beatles' version, I'm not that worried.
Ringo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 03:52 AM   #3
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

The thing that I hate to think of is that people will know the songs for the commercials, rather than for the Beatles and that when they hear the actual song they'll be like "oh, listen; it's the Chase song!".

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.

Last edited by erinluv182 : Apr 21, 2006 at 03:53 AM.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 04:16 AM   #4
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

This isn't the first time a Beatles song has been used for a commercial, and it won't be the last. I hardly think people will be identifying the songs solely as jingles -- Beatles songs are too easily identifiable no matter who does them. IMO it is just not worth getting worked up over, because there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Michael Jackson doesn't own the rights anymore, he had to sell his majority share to Sony to settle debts. Not sure if this deal was cut before or after the sale, though.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin

Last edited by HMVNipper : Apr 21, 2006 at 04:18 AM.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:42 AM   #5
SF4-EVER

The changeover already happened here in Illinois, so I've seen this commercial. The Beatles' version of the song is still the best, IMO.

My novella, Lyon's Legacy, about a scientist traveling back to the TwenCen to visit her fictional rock star ancestor, is now available as an e-book from Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords and in paper from CreateSpace and Amazon.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Here's the thing that really gives me a wedgie about the commercialization of Beatles tunes. . .Now, instead of feeling the song (be it Revolution, Here, There and Everywhere, Got to Get You Into My Life, Hello, Goodbye) as I did when I first heard them. . you know, letting the song paint its picture in my mind. . .I now think of sneakers (when I hear Revolution) or potato chips (Here, There and Everywhere).

Thank you bankrupt King of Poop!

What next. . .Why Don't We Do It In The Road for an asphalt product?

Last edited by AmericanBeatle : Apr 21, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
AmericanBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:20 PM   #7
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBeatle
Here's the thing that really gives me a wedgie about the commercialization of Beatles tunes. . .Now, instead of feeling the song (be it Revolution, Here, There and Everywhere, Got to Get You Into My Life, Hello, Goodbye) as I did when I first heard them. . you know, letting the song paint its picture in my mind. . .I now think of sneakers (when I hear Revolution) or potato chips (Here, There and Everywhere).

Thank you bankrupt King of Poop!

What next. . .Why Don't We Do It In The Road for an asphalt product?
Do you really? I dunno, I still feel the same about Beatles songs even if they've been used in commercials because I don't associate them with the products in any way. They are too ingrained in my consciousness as something totally other than advertising that I just kind of gloss over them if I hear them in ads. The ads certainly haven't changed my perception of the songs.
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:29 PM   #8
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182
The thing that I hate to think of is that people will know the songs for the commercials, rather than for the Beatles and that when they hear the actual song they'll be like "oh, listen; it's the Chase song!".

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:28 PM   #9
matt2791
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to matt2791 Send a message via Yahoo to matt2791

I don't use Chase- I give Bank Of America my business.
No, we need money first!
matt2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:03 AM   #10
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
Do you really? I dunno, I still feel the same about Beatles songs even if they've been used in commercials because I don't associate them with the products in any way. They are too ingrained in my consciousness as something totally other than advertising that I just kind of gloss over them if I hear them in ads. The ads certainly haven't changed my perception of the songs.

Sure, how can you not? Even if you do remember the songs as you always have, I'd be willing to bet that for a little while you'd still think of the commercial, or just a scene in the commerical, when you hear the songs. . .even if you didn't want to. Maybe just for a fleeting second, but you still might think of it. It doesn't change your permanent perception of the song, but you might have a fleeting thought of sneakers while listening to Revolution before your ingrained perception of the song takes over. I mean, I couldn't tell you the brands in the commercials if I had to that Jackson sold to the ad agencies, but I still remember that these great songs were used to sell shoes and chips. . .and that's enough to, imperceptibly and unconsciuosly, alter how I think of the song.
I applaud you and envy you that you don't have this problem, but it is one that I think affects more than not. . .especially those who weren't lucky enough to have loved the song prior to exploitation. Newer fans might have a more difficult time separating the song from the commercial. That's the really sad part.

Last edited by AmericanBeatle : Apr 22, 2006 at 08:06 AM.
AmericanBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 08:07 AM   #11
HMVNipper
Sun King

Nope. I've been a Beatles fan for over 30 years, and I relate to the songs as songs. If I hear them in ads, I gloss over them. The songs came before the ads in my consciousness, and that is how they stay, pure and unsullied. (That goes for other groups too -- I don't, for instance, think of the various CSI shows whenever I hear the Who, even though I know a bunch of their songs are used as show themes!)

Frankly, I never think of sneakers when I hear Revolution, never think of any other products when I hear other songs. I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what Beatles songs have been used in commercials other than Revolution being used to sell sneakers, actually.

I do agree, though, that newer fans, who maybe didn't have a "relationship" with the song before they heard it in an ad, will forever associate it with commercials...which is really kinda sad.

Last edited by HMVNipper : Apr 22, 2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 09:36 AM   #12
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2791
I don't use Chase- I give Bank Of America my business.
Me too. Platinum member!

Anyway, I never care if artists use their songs for commercials. Frankly, I wouldn't even care if the Beatles' version was used. I'm very glad their not, for the reason stated above, but if it's okay with the artist, it's okay with me.

Last edited by LovinLennon909 : Apr 22, 2006 at 09:38 AM.
LovinLennon909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 05:52 AM   #13
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I heard it first on the radio. I thought at first it was some beatles thing they were promoting and then it was like oh, it's Chase.

Incidentally, i dont use Chase either. I'm at 5/3

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:39 AM   #14
Dr. Dreamer
Mr. Moonlight

Well, I just circumvent the entire dilemma by not watching TV much (don't really enjoy the telly too much, I'm more of a reader/internet person) And I always mute the commercials so even if they are played I'm not hearing them
As for radio well- all my adult life and especially since the real sort of radio station seems to be a thing of my past, I listen exculsively to my own mixes whether they be on cassette tape, CD or my latest MP3 player.

Last edited by Dr. Dreamer : Apr 24, 2006 at 07:43 AM.
Dr. Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 09:10 AM   #15
sadie
Sun King

Fortunately I haven't seen any commercials over here using Beatle songs though there may be some out there floating around.

Last edited by sadie : Apr 24, 2006 at 09:14 AM.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:08 PM   #17
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

They should never use beatles songs for commercials. Thats my Opinion.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2020, 08:01 AM   #18
frizxtes
Little Child

Hey. At first, I doubted whether to use this arrestyourdebt.com service. But then I realized that if you use cashback services, you will still be able to return up to 20% of the money spent. At first, it seems that this is not a real discount, but when the money is returned to your account in a few months, it will become clear that it is even more pleasant than the usual discount. There is a feeling that you got something, and not just saved money.
frizxtes is offline   Reply With Quote