BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:38 AM   #21
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Here is part of The Beatles great January 1969 roof top concert. What Steve Paradiso says in the comments,That The Beatles were arguably The Greatest Rock n Roll Band Ever is *so true!*

https://vimeo.com/95681569
letmerollit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:40 AM   #22
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Not only did The Beatles give The Rolling Stones one of their first hits with their rock n roll song I Wanna Be Your Man as you know,and they wrote it right in front of them and Keith Richards and Mick Jagger were impressed and like wow how can you write a song just like that and it motivated them to start writing their own songs. And as I already said The Rolling Stones were good friends with and fans of The Beatles.

Mick Jagger was at 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with him.Also Mick Jagger was such a big Beatles fan that in May 1967 when The Beatles were redording their song Baby You're A Rich Man he came there and stood on the sidelines to watch and listen to them recording it. His name is also on the tape box and he likely sang at the end verses.In Mark Lewishon's great detailed music diary book, The Beatles Recording Sessions there is a big black and white picture of Mick Jagger sitting in between John and Paul in the recording console room during The Beatles Revolver recording sessions too.

The Beatles remastered albums sold much more 40 years after their break up than The Rolling Stones remastered albums and they are still together! The Beatles have the best selling album of the last decade with their CD 1.And soon after their music went on iTunes,it went to the top.

And Brian Jones played the saxophone on the strange Beatles song, You Know My Name Look Up The Number and he and Mick Jagger's girlfriend at the time Marianne Faithful contributed sound effects on the song Yellow Submarine.

As this guy Sal66 who is also a musician and has also posted on sites debunking ignorant cr*p about The Beatles has rightfully pointed out, The Beatles wrote,played and recorded I Feel Fine (which The All Music Guide says has brilliant,active ,difficult guitar leads and riffs) in the Fall of 1964 which was the first use of feedback guitar on a pop rock record and it also had a prominent guitar riff throughout this very good song almost a year *before* The Rolling Stones's Satisfaction came out.

And on John's great Norwegian Wood recorded in the Fall of 1965,George Harrison was the first to play a sitar on a pop rock song and it was released on their great album Rubber Soul in December and then in May 1966 The Rolling Stones song Paint It Black came out with Brian Jones playing a sitar.

And in Paul McCartney's authorized biography Many Years From Now, Mick Jagger's former girlfriend singer Marianne Faithful says that she and Mick used to go over to Paul's house a lot and hang out in his music room. She said he never went to see them at their house they always went to visit him because he was Paul McCartney.She also said that Mick was intimidated by Paul but that Paul was totally oblivious to this.

Paul also says in this book that he turned Mick on to pot in his music room and he said which is funny because a lot of people would assume it was the other way around. Mick Jagger was also with The Beatles in Bangor when they got the call that Brian Epstein was found dead because he went on the train with them with his then girl friend singer Marianne Faithful to see the Maharishi to study meditation that weekend.

Also Mick Jagger is quoted on a Rolling Stones fan site,timeisonourside.com saying that Keith Richards liked The Beatles because he was quite interested in their chord sequences and he says he also liked their harmonies which he said were always a slight problem for The Rolling Stones.He said Keith always tried to get the harmonies off the ground but they always seemed messy.Mick then says,that what they never really got together were Keith and Brian singing backup vocals and he said it didn't work because Keith was a better singer and to keep going,oooh,ooh,ooh(he laughs) and he said Brian liked all of those oohs which Keith had to put up with.He also said Keith was capable of much stronger vocals than ooh,ooh,ooh.

On this same fan site Keith Richards is quoted from 1971 saying that The Beatles were perfect for opening doors,when they went to America they left it wide open for them and he said that The Rolling Stones could never have gone to America without them.He also said that The Beatles are so f**king good at what they did.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:41 AM   #23
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Many people have said about The Rolling Stones ,that their albums have a few good or great songs but the rest is filler.

But a radio host who was a former DJ once said that The Beatles are one of the only if not only bands that almost all of their songs were great including the album tracks that weren't released as singles.

On a message board discussion some years ago about what bands and artists people consider overrated,quite a few said The Rolling Stones and some said The Beatles or both,and a guy said if you ask almost anybody in the music business they will tell you that The Beatles were the Greatest Band Ever!

I once spoke to a rock DJ about The Beatles and even though he said they aren't his favorite,he said nobody can say that The Beatles weren't great,he said especially John Lennon and Paul McCartney as song writers.

And I once spoke to another rock DJ who is a huge Beatles fan & who has hosted a 2 hour Breakfast With The Beatles radio show for over 20 years & I said that The Beatles work in the recording studio described in details in The Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn,is so impressive & brilliant & he said oh it's the work of geniuses. I said how can anyone not recognize what extraordinary singer song composers John Lennon & Paul McCartney were? And he said oh you can ask anyone in the music business & they will tell you that.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:43 AM   #24
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

In The All Music Guide's great review of The Beatles Past Masters album,they say they proved that they could rock really,really hard with their songs I Feel Fine,She's a Woman,and the peerless I'm Down

http://www.allmusic.com/album/past-masters-mw0000691313

all from late 1964 and early 1965.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:45 AM   #25
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

I have read all of the almost all 5 star amazon.com reviews of the new remastered amazon.com best seller,The Beatles Live At The Hollywood Bowl and many people are saying what I and other fans have said elsewhere,that given how limited and primitive sound systems of the time were,and they had no feedback monitors so they couldn't even hear themselves singing and playing,they played and sounded amazingly good! I heard the small samples on amazon.com,and what struck me is how typically great and prominent Paul's bass playing is,someone said he's playing it like a lead instrument.Also an amazon.com reviewer said how underrated John's rhythm guitar playing is and how George Harrison's guitar playing is very good and how great Ringo's drumming is.

Here on Paul McCartney.com quite a few members are saying that it's amazing and incredible that The Beatles played so great and sang so great with such primitive sound systems at the time and no feedback monitors so they couldn't even hear themselves singing and playing.One member said they were without a doubt the greatest live rock band ever!

http://maccaboard.paulmccartney.com/...r=asc&start=45

Many are saying the same things on this music forum including how great and hard rocking of a live band The Beatles really were.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...67252/page-141

I just found only part of this review from The London Times,you have to have a subscription to read the whole article though,and it says in the first part of it,that it's remarkable they played as well as they did given that they couldn't hear a thing.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/po...bowl-f9pxrkmzg
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:46 AM   #26
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Many people on different message boards have said the only Rolling Stones song they like is Paint It Black, my first cousin who is a head hunter helping people find jobs,she used to an accountant,and when she was 21 a huge Rolling Stones fan she also had The Beatles Revolver album in her bedroom.

When The Rolling Stones did their Steel Wheels tour in 1989 I asked her if she still liked The Rolling Stones and she said no,but the same year at her wedding shower my male and female cousins were talking about The Beatles who we all love,and my cousin said Oh I love The Beatles.

And when I was going to Paul McCartney live for the first time in 1990 and I was very excited about it, I was going on about how great he,John and The Beatles were and she said OK, I said you said you love The Beatles too and she said hey bottom line they were geniuses!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:48 AM   #27
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Ozzy Osbourne has been a big Beatles fan since he was an early teenager,and he picked She Loves You as one of his favorite songs for Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest songs and Sgt.Pepper is one o his favorite albums. He says that not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxygen and he called The Beatles the greatest band to ever walk the earth.

Here Ozzy Osbourne says that he doesn't anyone will ever be as great as The Beatles and he said they were all great,even George Harrison and Ringo Starr were great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD0_MtCDcQQ

Here is a video of Ozzy Osbourne meets Paul McCartney for the first time and they hug each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkudA0P27Q0

Here Ozzy Osbourne says how hearing She Loves You at age 15 inspired him to go into music.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/en...-30320049.html
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:49 AM   #28
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Bob Dylan talks of Beatles friendship

Legend admits: 'I'm in awe of McCartney'

May 16, 2007

Bob Dylan has spoken in depth about his longstanding friendship with The Beatles and his particular bond with George Harrison.

Talking to Rolling Stone magazine, Dylan talked freely about Harrison’s struggle to find his voice within the songwriting collective of John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

"George got stuck with being the Beatle that had to fight to get songs on records because of Lennon and McCartney. Well, who wouldn’t get stuck?" he asked.

Dylan highlighted the writing talents of Harrison, saying: "If George had had his own group and was writing his own songs back then, he’d have been probably just as big as anybody."

Speaking against popular belief, the singer also denounced any rumors of competitiveness towards Lennon and McCartney, asserting, "They were fantastic singers. Lennon, to this day, it’s hard to find a better singer than Lennon was, or than McCartney was and still is."

Nodding his cap to McCartney in particular, Dylan concluded: "I’m in awe of McCartney. He’s about the only one that I am in awe of. He can do it all. And he’s never let up... He’s just so damn effortless.''

http://www.nme.com/news/bob-dylan/28350
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:49 AM   #29
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

In 2010 I read an online article that had an interview with Ernie Isley of The Isley Brothers about a recent tribute to Jimi Hendrix, in which he says that Jimi played for The Isley Brothers & lived with them & that they & he were fans of The Fab Four from the moment they all watched them on The Ed Sullivan Show in February 1964. I always thought that Jimi was only a later period Beatles fan,I knew he played Sgt.Pepper live the weekend it came out,& he played Day Tripper live also,& several people on different message boards said that when he was asked where the direction of music was going,he said ask The Beatles.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:50 AM   #30
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

In the 2012 Newsweek Beatles special celebrating 50 years since their music came out,Steve Jobs was quoted from Walter Isaacson's biography as talking about how the band's approach to recording "refining and refining" influenced his own creative process. He said they were such perfectionists they kept it going and going he said. Steve Jobs said that this made a big impression on him when he was in his thirties.Newsweek rightfully says,that it's hard to imagine another rock band that influenced the way computers are made just as it is to think of one whose name became an adjective. And Newsweek said and that's why The Beatles still stand apart.

They quote Steve Jobs saying,"Somebody else could have replicated the Stones,(Newsweek then says,nailing the difference between artists shaped by their times and those who shape them),no one could have been Dylan or The Beatles."
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:51 AM   #31
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Brian May says The Beatles were Queen's bible.

http://beatlessongwriting.blogspot.c...l#comment-form

Last edited by letmerollit : Jan 22, 2017 at 01:38 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:53 AM   #32
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Many well known musicians say how influenced they are by The Beatles.

http://beatlessongwriting.blogspot.c...he%20Influence

Last edited by letmerollit : Jan 22, 2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:55 AM   #33
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

11 Musicians Influenced By The Beatles

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/20....na2BTdhg.dpbs

Last edited by letmerollit : Jan 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:58 AM   #34
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Here is my blog,The Beatles Were *NEVER* A Boy Band,They Were Always A Great Rock n Roll,Pop Rock And Rock Band From The Start! Debunking The Stupid,Ludicrous,Ignorant Myth That The Beatles Were Ever A Boy Band

https://thebeatleswereneveraboybandt...wordpress.com/
Old Jan 22, 2017, 01:02 AM   #35
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

In this 2008 interview asking Keith Richards who the five greatest bands ever are besides The Rolling Stones,he said obviously he put The Beatles in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNKckhYqNBk
Old Jan 22, 2017, 01:05 AM   #36
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

And I have been a huge Beatles fan, especially a big highly impressed John and Paul fan since I was 11 and I got my first Beatles book for my 11th birthday,I started collecting their albums at age 9, and I had every album by age 13. I was born after 1964 too. when I was 13 a guy at school who was 2 years older than me,gave me Hunter Davies authorized biography,he was a fan and his older brother was an even bigger fan.I would read that book for hours till 5 in the morning.

My father was a big Bob Dylan fan and he had a lot of his albums,and he also had many Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass albums,and albums by Leonard Cohen and Peter Paul and Mary when I was growing up. And my sister who is 4 years older had a big music collection of all different types of music artists.

Most people I have known all of my life,including my female and male cousins, friends and neighbors know they were brilliant.When I was 11 I had a music teacher who asked us to guess who he was talking about when he said they were geniuses and that they wrote 200 songs,and that most of their songs and albums are great and critically acclaimed in just an 8 year recording career,and I said,The Beatles and he said yes that's right!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 01:06 AM   #37
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

The Beatles do need defending because there truly is so much ignorant,inaccurate myths about them,the most ignorant and ludicrous of all,is that they were ever a boy band and they never were not even for half of a second.

Here is a review of The Beatles first album,Please Please Me by a top Epionions music reviewer Scapp70 he says they need defending and he said that he had been reading some really negative things about The Beatles in print and online,and he said it's just so wild.He said but when you're as big as The Beatles there is bound to be some negativity out there. He explains how brilliant they were and that they were fine musicians,amazing song writers and forward thinkers, and how they made an amazing amount of great albums in such a short time and why they are rightfully widely considered the best band ever.

http://www.epinions.com/review/musc_...1/227863793284
Old Jan 22, 2017, 01:22 AM   #38
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Hunter Davies wrote in his 1968 only authorized Beatles biography,The Beatles that George Harrison at only age 13 would stay up till 2 in the morning playing his guitar until he got all of the chords exactly right and his fingers were bleeding and his nice mother stayed up with him too.

And One of The Beatles engineers Geoff Emerick says in Mark Lewisohn's excellent Beatles recording diary,The Beatles Recording Sessions that in early 1966 when The Beatles were recording John's song I'm Only Sleeping, George Harrison played backwards guitar the most difficult way possible even though he could have taken an easy way,and it took him 6 hours just to do the guitar overdubs! He then made it doubly difficult by adding even more distorted guitars and Geoff says this was all George's idea and that he did all of the playing.

Eric Clapton said in a 1992 interview when he and George were asked what they admired about each other during their Japan tour, that George is a fantastic slide guitar player. He and George were very good friends and they obviously admired and respected each others guitar playing and George played guitar on Cream's song Badge.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 01:24 AM   #39
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Here in this 1971 interview at the Sgt.Regis Hotel John Lennon is asked by the interviewer about him using drummer Jim Keltner and if this was a reflection on Ringo's drumming.And John said, Oh no I love his drumming. He then said I think Keltner is a bit technically better but Ringo is still one of the best drummers in rock.

http://web.archive.org/web/200801081...n/st_regis.htm

And who did John Lennon use as a drummer on his first brilliant solo album John Lennon Plastic Ono Band when he could have gotten almost anyone who would have jumped at the chance to play on one of John's albums? Ringo.

And Ringo Star was already a successful drummer in the most popular successful band in Liverpool,Rorry Storm and The Hurricanes when John,Paul and George asked him to join The Beatles.And George Martin didn't think that Pete Best was that good,and he and John,Paul and George thought that Ringo was much better.

Also Phil Collins and Max Weinberg are both Ringo fans. And Phil Colins ( who has always been a big Beatles fan and he was in the audience in the concert scene in their great movie A Hard Day's Night at age 13) says he can't even duplicate Ringo's great drumming in A Day In The Life. George Martin says that Ringo always had a great feel and ear for a song and that it was his idea to play the tom toms on A Day In The Life giving it a unique percussion sound.

Mark Lewisohn says in his great book,The Beatles Recording Sessions,that on a handful of occasions during all of the several hundred session tapes and thousand of recording hours can Ringo be heard to have made a mistake or wavered in his beat. He then says that his work was remarkably consistent-and excellent-from 1962 right through to 1970.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:17 PM   #40
letmerollit
Apple Scruff

Both VH1 and MTV have been using Richie Unterberger's excellent All Music Guide’s long Beatles biography as their Beatles biography they both used to not have a very good biography of The Beatles.Here are great Beatles biographies that totally debunk this totally stupid,inaccurate,ludicrous,ridiculous myth that they were ever a ‘’boy band’’!

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-b...4032/biography

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles

The Beatles own documentary The Beatles Anthology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJcz...czmuZ-OeU#t=13

The great 1982 Beatles documentary,The Complete Beatles narrated by award winning British actor Malcolm McDowell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG8G...BDD651&index=2

And any great reputable accurate Beatles biography would debunk this ludicrous,stupid myth.And I have *never* read or heard *any* legitimate serious rock critics or rock music journalists describe them this way and for extremely great reasons!