BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Paperback Writer

Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Default Phil Spector & John Lennon: Gimme Some Truth

I wonder if there could ever be a detailed book on the relationship Phil and John share inside and outside the studio sounds like a truly "Rock n' Rollercoaster" ride for all that would read the book let along the one who would researched it!
Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 04, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
jonesingjay

I'd be curious about the incident in which Phil pulled out a gun on John in the studio.
jonesingjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesingjay View Post
I'd be curious about the incident in which Phil pulled out a gun on John in the studio.
During sessions for John Lennon's (also contractually obligated) oldies covers album, Rock And Roll, Spector and Lennon out-drink each other, spar verbally, and scream at each other over the din of Phil's wacked-out production. Samples from this infamous session can be heard on Lennon's Anthology box set and on bootlegs. During these sessions, Spector is also seen to wave a handgun around, threatening longtime Beatles roadie and associate Mal Evans with it and eventually shooting it into the air. A frazzled Spector soon disappears with the session tapes, which took Lennon months to retrieve. (1973)

We should've been there
Old Dec 08, 2013, 03:18 AM   #4
jonesingjay

Quote:
We should've been there
LOL.

I don't think I would've wanted to be there or even have been a fly on the wall. It all sounds very whacky, and even a bit scary with that gun element. Especially knowing what we know now about Phil and guns. Yikes!
Old Dec 08, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
LOL.

I don't think I would've wanted to be there or even have been a fly on the wall. It all sounds very whacky, and even a bit scary with that gun element. Especially knowing what we know now about Phil and guns. Yikes!
Well ... maybe a fly on the wall wearing a bullet proof vest or just stay out of the control room .... Lennon in the seventies what a roller coaster ride that would have been!
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:50 PM   #6
jonesingjay

Quote:
Well ... maybe a fly on the wall wearing a bullet proof vest or just stay out of the control room
You bring the bulletproof vest and I'd be there. All that debauchery I couldn't keep up with it, but maybe seeing the whole sanitary pad incident would be worth seeing.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
You bring the bulletproof vest and I'd be there. All that debauchery I couldn't keep up with it, but maybe seeing the whole sanitary pad incident would be worth seeing.

...... and just think of all those lushes Brandy Alexander to partake! Being in California I always thought of going to LA and having one at the Troubadour which I sure is not the same but still there .... maybe the surviving Smothers Brother would do a one man act for old time sake ....

You seem like a genuine Lennon aficionado! Thanks for the posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 06:35 PM   #8
jonesingjay

I'm more of a George lad, but John is a close second. The Troubadour is still, not the same. Nothing can be like those days. There is a a Beatles tour around LA. I'm fairly certain it's still running. Don't quote me on that though.

Quote:
maybe the surviving Smothers Brother would do a one man act for old time sake ....
Which one of us would use a sanitary pad as as fashion accessory? LOL.

For what it's worth, and it's probably not worth anything in that Phil Spector television movie that was on HBO. Phil spoke fondly of The Beatles, had a framed picture of Lennon in one of his rooms. I don't know if that last bit was true or artistic license. Since, Ronnie Spector (Phil's ex-wife) spoke of how jealous/possessive Phil was and Ronnie and John had some kind of 'thing'. I wonder if that ever came up between Spector and Lennon. It's claimed that was the reason why he waved his gun around, but that's probably bunk.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:34 PM   #9
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

In Ronnie's autobio she mentioned how Phil replaced her with her cousin when the Ronnettes toured with the Fab Four in '66. She stated it was due to his jealously of Lennon. Maybe he could pick up a romantic vibe between the two. I guess after Ronnie married him, he felt more secure and less threatened by John. The sanitary pad incident is gross. I wouldn't want to be around a nutty music producer waving a gun either. I read Ronnie and Keith Richards had a thing too. Wow she really had it bad for British rock guys.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:38 PM   #10
jonesingjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut333 View Post
Wow she really had it bad for British rock guys.
They seem to have had it really bad for her as well. Isn't there even talk of her and Mick at some point as well?

I didn't know about that tidbit that Phil replaced her with her cousin for the tour in 66' with the Beatles. Very interesting.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:18 PM   #11
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
They seem to have had it really bad for her as well. Isn't there even talk of her and Mick at some point as well?

I didn't know about that tidbit that Phil replaced her with her cousin for the tour in 66' with the Beatles. Very interesting.
If I recall correctly, Estelle briefly dated Mick and Nedra Brian Jones. I don't know about Mick and Ronnie, but it's possible. Keith inducted the group into the R&R Hall of Fame in 2007.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:33 PM   #12
jonesingjay

I'm probably getting partners confused. Estelle also had a thing with George.