BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Default Calgary drummer under Ringo Starr's spell for four decades

By Valerie Fortney, Calgary Herald July 27, 2010 7:53 AM

The time Ringo Starr walked into his studio was one of the biggest days of David Mitchell's life.

The man who calmed his nerves, says the now 61-year-old Calgarian, was that fellow who just happened to be the most famous drummer in the world at that point in history -- and just happens to be in Calgary on Wednesday, playing at the Jubilee Auditorium with his All Starr Band in support of the Owen Hart Foundation (call 403-777-000, or online at www.ticketmaster.cafor tickets).

"I was expecting someone with a big ego," he says of the Beatle, who over the course of a week in 1971 he helped put the finishing touches on a remake of the 1960 song You're Sixteen. "But in comes the most charming, kind man, with a great sense of humour that totally disarmed you."

Over those two years, Mitchell helped to remix the sounds of such artists as Emerson Lake and Palmer, Yes, Fleetwood Mac and Shirley Bassey. But the day that his boss told him he'd been seconded for a week to help out Ringo's recording engineer was a highlight.

"I was a bit nervous when we first met, and I asked him how he'd made that fat drum sound on some of the Beatles' songs," says Mitchell, a longtime drummer. "He first said 'Oh, I can't tell you,' then he laughed and explained how he did a rim shot with a wire brush."

Full Article: http://www.calgaryherald.com/enterta...#ixzz0uu9eikoB
"One of Ringo's great qualities was that he composed unique, stylistic drum parts for The Beatles songs. His parts are so signature to the songs that you can listen to a Ringo drum part without the rest of the music and still identify the song." -Steve Smith
"He (Pete Best) was doing OK, but if you compare it to Ringo, he just did not have that swing. He just did not have that rock. He just didn't." -Klaus Voormann

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : Jul 27, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:21 PM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Ringo has had good reason to be a humble dude. Good on him for remaining one.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:46 PM   #3
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

I saw Ringo in Calgary this evening. I see what this drummer means - Ringo comes across as such a down to earth person!! What an honor it would be to work with him!