BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:28 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Talking The Indispensable Ringo - A Case for the Greatness of the Often Overlooked Beatle

The Indispensable Ringo -- A Case for the Greatness of the Often Overlooked Beatle

http://www.asylum.com/2010/02/22/the...-of-the-often/

A few weeks ago, Ringo Starr got his own star, on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Many, in the past, called Ringo Starr "the luckiest man in show business," and some still do. Fortunately, as time has passed and Ringo proved himself with a damn good solo career, this is heard less often. What's also happened is that we've gotten to listen to The Beatles over and over - and when you do that, you realize that Ringo indeed got lucky in joining a band with three musical geniuses. But then again, each of the others got lucky the same way.

If you've had a chance to listen to the remastered Beatles CDs, you understand: it's a revelation, being able to hear, crisply and distinctly, all of the instruments. All of The Beatles sound great but it throws Ringo in sharp relief.

His drumming simply drives "Get Back." He's got blisters on his fingers at the end of "Helter Skelter" because he's blasted the heck out of those skins, take after take after take. Those who know their biz swear that his drumming on "A Day In the Life" is, in a word, masterful, a vital contribution to one of the best Beatles' songs. (Phil Collins: "The drum fills on 'A Day in the Life' are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' They wouldn't know what to do.")

And is there a more beautiful drum solo than the only one Ringo played while with the Beatles, the one on "The End"?

As Dennis Kiken of USA Today wrote last year, "John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison found in Ringo an ironclad timekeeper who rocked and swung like mad, with style, imagination, and versatility. He was the secret weapon of the best band of all time."

So why isn't Ringo more celebrated? Perhaps because he was modest, and consistent, writes Tim Riley in Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album by Album, Song by Song, the Sixties and After. "Ringo wanted to serve the songs rather than show off. As a song writer's drummer, Ringo was the type of musician who could follow instructions as he completed the overall sound. His commitment to the music was bigger than his ego."

None of the other Beatles were known for offering easy praise - they could be quite harsh with each other - so what they had to say about Ringo is also key.

John Lennon: "Ringo is Ringo, that's all there is to it. And he's every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles."

Paul McCartney: ""Ringo is right down the center, never overplays." (That's effusive praise, coming from Paul).

George Harrison: "Playing without Ringo is like driving a car on three wheels."

In other words, without Ringo, the Beatles wouldn't have been quite so fab.

Five Ringo tracks to make your day:

"Rain": Ringo has called this his best track. -
"I Feel Fine": "The drumming is basically what we used to think of as 'What'd I Say' drumming. ... One of the big clinching factors about Ringo as the drummer in the band was that he could really play that so well." - Paul McCartney. -
"Get Back": Paul gets the credit, but Ringo's driving.
"Ticket to Ride": Not complicated. But awesome.
"Long Tall Sally": Ringo live, and wild!
Old Feb 22, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Ringo is indeed quite underrated as a drummer. I love to say this, and I don't know of anyone else who ever said it before, so I'll say it again here. Ringo's drumming virtually invented what we call "power pop".

As great a drummer as Ringo is, there is one thing he did that I do consider a little overrated, and that's the solo on "The End". I still remember when I listened to Abbey Road for the first time, my immediate reaction to Ringo's solo was "That sounds almost exactly like the beginning to the drum solo in 'Innagaddadavida' by Iron Butterfly." I still think that everytime I hear it.

But I like it anyway.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:17 AM   #3
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

He is totally underrated as a drummer and as part of the Beatles. He just, helped make it work, you know? I love his drumming on Rain and Tomorrow Never Knows

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rock View Post
Ringo is indeed quite underrated as a drummer. I love to say this, and I don't know of anyone else who ever said it before, so I'll say it again here. Ringo's drumming virtually invented what we call "power pop".

As great a drummer as Ringo is, there is one thing he did that I do consider a little overrated, and that's the solo on "The End". I still remember when I listened to Abbey Road for the first time, my immediate reaction to Ringo's solo was "That sounds almost exactly like the beginning to the drum solo in 'Innagaddadavida' by Iron Butterfly." I still think that everytime I hear it.

But I like it anyway.
I prefer his drum solo on Strawberry Fields Forver Anthology version.
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:02 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

You had to have Ringo to make the Beatles. George said that the group without him was like a car with 3 wheels. The chemistry of the 4 boys made it work!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2010, 06:18 PM   #6
CassyInTheSky
Apple Scruff

Not only was Ringo's drumming amazing, but his personality as well. If they had another drummer at the Let It Be sessions, the group would've probably fell apart faster than they did. Once Ringo came into the picture, the Beatles's career took off. He kept them together, in a way.

^^ He needs somebody! Not just anybody!

~They call me on and off, across the universe~

Me in a nutshell.
CassyInTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote