BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old May 03, 2011, 06:58 AM   #41
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
I can't say I'm sad Osama's dead. The song "Thank You Very Much" seems very a propos in his case as he was a truly evil person.
Ode To Joy came to my mind when I heard the news. Followed by "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead."

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 08:17 AM   #42
FPSHOT
Sun King

One of the top 5 search hits on Google and Yahoo from people from the USA yesterday was "who is Osama Bin Laden"

I also saw a wrap up of US TV stations who reported the death of Obama Bin Laden

Sorry

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 08:59 AM   #43
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Sorry
No, you're not.

But anyway...

I live next door to a synagogue and I noticed some slightly beefed up security yesterday. Same thing at the mosque down the road. Hopefully it's just a precaution and won't be needed.
Old May 03, 2011, 09:51 AM   #44
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
No, you're not.
Confirmative, although you can agree it is quite... ok give it a word from 'funny' to 'hilarious' with 'have been asleep' in between

Quote:
I live next door to a synagogue and I noticed some slightly beefed up security yesterday. Same thing at the mosque down the road. Hopefully it's just a precaution and won't be needed.
Is that for protection - in which case I do not see why - or to prevent the visitors of the synagogue or the mosque to take some kind of action which to me in the case of the synagogue seems unlikely.

Old May 03, 2011, 10:04 AM   #45
CaliLilly
Nowhere Man

They showed footage of Obama, Hillary and others watching the ambush as it was being executed. I couldn't help but notice Hillary with her hand over mouth. Must've been pretty gruesome footage, even for her.

I know how sweet life can be So I'll keep myself free Of wah-wah wah-wah wah-wah
CaliLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 11:17 AM   #46
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLilly View Post
I couldn't help but notice Hillary with her hand over mouth. Must've been pretty gruesome footage, even for her.
That may have had to with the planned attack from Osama Bin Laden years ago on the Clintons of which 'they' got information in time so changed their route and when US military took the original route they were supposed to have driven, found bombs planned to go off on the Clintons,

so.... maybe understandable that there was some emotion.......

but..you guys may not be aware of this event

Old May 03, 2011, 11:20 AM   #47
Rellevart

Quote:
Is that for protection - in which case I do not see why - or to prevent the visitors of the synagogue or the mosque to take some kind of action which to me in the case of the synagogue seems unlikely.
To deter any angry people from doing anything stupid, I would assume. I agree that there's nothing about this incident that should make anybody want to attack a synagogue, it's unrelated, but angry people do things that make no sense sometimes.
Old May 03, 2011, 11:25 AM   #48
Rellevart

Oh and personally, I don't find anything terribly hilarious about people Google searching "Who is OBL?" I mean, say you want to know more about OBL...if you just Google "OBL", you're going to get a million zillion news stories about his death, which you already know about. If you Google "Who is...", you'll get other types of information. It's not a LITERAL question, people aren't idiots, thinking "I don't know who this person is who everybody on the news is talking about."
Old May 03, 2011, 11:34 AM   #49
CaliLilly
Nowhere Man

Quote:

so.... maybe understandable that there was some emotion.......
More like losing her lunch rather than emotion.

I know how sweet life can be So I'll keep myself free Of wah-wah wah-wah wah-wah
Old May 03, 2011, 11:48 AM   #50
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
To deter any angry people from doing anything stupid, I would assume. I agree that there's nothing about this incident that should make anybody want to attack a synagogue, it's unrelated, but angry people do things that make no sense sometimes.
Yeah so perfectly understandable

Old May 03, 2011, 11:49 AM   #51
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLilly View Post
More like losing her lunch rather than emotion.
whilst this was happening? Then you probably have odd lunch times which most call after dinner time.

Last edited by FPSHOT : May 03, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old May 03, 2011, 12:09 PM   #52
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

The guy was a nut-job and had to go but all the waving of flags and chanting of USA USA isn't really called for is it? In the same way that I hate all that firing of machine guns into the air.
But then again I'm not American and as shocking and upsetting as I find something like 9/11, perhaps I don't fully understand how good it feels to have him out of the picture.
I will add also that I find it hard to believe that he was living in that compound for about 5 or 6 years with none of the authorities knowing.
Old May 03, 2011, 12:54 PM   #53
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
The guy was a nut-job and had to go but all the waving of flags and chanting of USA USA isn't really called for is it?
I wonder if that's being exaggerated in the media somewhat. I haven't seen or heard anybody doing anything of the sort around here. I think most of the people I've encountered haven't even mentioned it, or if they have, it's been a quiet "Yeah. I'm glad they got him", but no flag waving or chanting.

I'm not denying that some of that must have gone on, but it's not like it's some big red white and blue party over here.

Last edited by Rellevart : May 03, 2011 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added 2nd paragraph
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 01:03 PM   #54
VersusBatman
Sun King

As I look out the window, there's no singing and dancing. Just people going about their business like any other day.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
Old May 03, 2011, 01:21 PM   #55
CaliLilly
Nowhere Man

Quote:
I'm not denying that some of that must have gone on, but it's not like it's some big red white and blue party over here.
I think most of the merriment and "USA!" chanting was happening at Ground Zero, which I guess would make sense. At least from what I saw on the news. As for here in California, I didn't hear people hootin' and hollering or see anyone dancing in the streets. Still don't. Our local news showed some families of some of the people killed in the explosions on 9/11 and they just expressed their relief that justice had been served. I guess it's good that the families now have closure.

Old May 03, 2011, 01:27 PM   #56
CaliLilly
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
But then again I'm not American and as shocking and upsetting as I find something like 9/11, perhaps I don't fully understand how good it feels to have him out of the picture.
Well, now that he has been martyr'd, you know his death will be avenged in some way. This ain't over. I know security is tightening up at the airports and other highly populated places. All I gotta say is, God help us all.

Old May 03, 2011, 03:08 PM   #57
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
If anyone knows me at all, they know I can be extremely critical of my country—when it is called for.

But I am shedding no tears over the killing of Osama bin Laden and have no issue with the way we went about getting him.

Moreover, this is a huge morale boost for The United States and its military in particular. We've got troops preparing to withdraw from Afghanistan. How great these troops can leave feeling a sense of accomplishment—regardless if they had little or even nothing to do with the operation that finally ended this search.

And even better still, this gives President Obama some serious clout going into the 2012 Elections. Nobody can ever say again that Obama and The Democratic Party are "weak" when it comes to national security!

It's all good!
It's all good! Amen, Brother Hof! I shed no tears over the death of this man who, to the very end of his life demonstrated true evil. After all, he sacrificed two of HIS OWN sons and a woman prior to being shot to death. Real prince of a guy, eh? His last act was one that cost three people, two of whom were HIS OWN CHILDREN their lives.

Osama was given the Muslim burial at sea - his identity was established and once having done so (DNA testing), he was thrown from a ship into the sea. I heard that there was a very real concern that people might flock to any grave and mark it as a shrine. By following the Muslim tradition of a burial at sea, that prevents such a pilgrammage to a very evil man.

Add to it that since Muslim dictates were followed in re disposal of the body, that will, according to some pundits hopefully reduce the possibility of future terrorist attacks.

Well said, Hof. When I heard the good news about Osama's demise, my initial reaction was, "This is a coup for victory for Obama!" While Donald Trump was acting a fool braying about that darn birth certificate, Obama was working on much more pressing matters. As for that faction called "birthers," why in the blue hell do they wonder if President Obama was born in the United States?! In order to be eligible to run for ANY United States office, you have to have been born in the United States! What country do they THINK Hawaii is part of, Canada? For Pete's Sake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy
The guy was a nut-job and had to go but all the waving of flags and chanting of USA USA isn't really called for is it? In the same way that I hate all that firing of machine guns into the air.
I have to chime in with Lucy on this one. I am an American and I have always thought the ostentatious flag waving and screaming USA in the wake of devastation was not really helpful. To me it was more of a show or a challenge to others with different points of biew. I, too hate the firing of machine guns and feel it sends a bad message. Being proud of your native country is all well and good. Jingoism and intolerance as in "we're good guys/you're bad guys" is not. I hate that good guy/bad guy mentality and feel it serves no real or helpful purpose.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 03, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 05:19 PM   #58
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
While Donald Trump was acting a fool braying about that darn birth certificate, Obama was working on much more pressing matters.
I bet he'll demand a real copy of the death certificate. ;)

Old May 03, 2011, 06:11 PM   #59
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Coming from Donald Chump, that would not surprise me.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 08:09 PM   #60
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Considering bin Laden's explicit anti-Semitic/"bring down Israel" remarks I think it makes sense that a synagogue would want to beef up protection in the same way that mosques were obvious retaliation targets in the wake of 9/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
If the soul is eternal, and I believe it is, then as far as we know, Osama bin Laden has passed from his body without furthering his understanding or compassion.
I'd like to agree (and I do agree that the celebration is more than a bit misguided...I don't think justice has been served, mainly because there really is no fitting way to serve it in regards to such an atrocity as 9/11), but that would require Osama bin Laden to have had a soul in the first place. Forcing him to examine his conscience would be futile because for him to feel even an iota of remorse would require a miracle far outside human capability, and putting him face to face with your average American citizen--let alone one who lost a loved one in the attacks--would be a recipe for disaster.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote