BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old May 02, 2011, 10:37 AM   #21
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

The Americans invade 2 countries, killing thousands of innocent people in their search, and finally 10 years later they find him in another country!
Old May 02, 2011, 01:13 PM   #22
taxgirl
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
It is an interesting development and I will be curious to see how things play out. I think this is more of a symbolic "victory" than an actual one, because one individual never holds all the power, but it may bring some closure to some people and that's a good thing.

I just hope that it doesn't turn into another stupid, pointless political argument, as I'm already starting to see in certain places...
Well said Rell. That's my concern too.
I think we all know excactly what we were doing on 9/11 when we heard the news. I just hope sometime in the future none of us will have a day like that again.
I had to laugh about Obama's reply to Donald Trump last weekend. *Did we fake the moonlanding?*, but now I'm thinking...Obama was so confident in his replies just because he knew what was going to happen....????
Old May 02, 2011, 01:23 PM   #23
CaliLilly
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
I think this is more of a symbolic "victory" than an actual one, because one individual never holds all the power, but it may bring some closure to some people and that's a good thing.
My feelings as well, Suz. While it doesn't undo a catastophic event maybe serving Bin Laden's head on a platter will please most. But did it accomplish anything? In all honesty, it doesn't solve or resolve anything. I would have rather seen him be captured and put on trial for his crimes. The guy was reportedly dying anyway. I guess by killing him we did him a favor?

I know how sweet life can be So I'll keep myself free Of wah-wah wah-wah wah-wah

Last edited by CaliLilly : May 02, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
CaliLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 01:31 PM   #24
taxgirl
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliLilly View Post
I would have rather seen him be captured and put on trial for his crimes.
Me too.... But then he would have been trialed in The Haque Holland.....
Not sure if I would have been happy with that. Yes I know... just thinking about myself
Old May 02, 2011, 01:36 PM   #25
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
My feelings as well, Suz. While it doesn't undo a catastophic event maybe serving Bin Laden's head on a platter will please most. But did it accomplish anything? In all honesty, it doesn't solve or resolve anything. I would have rather seen him be captured and put on trial for his crimes. The guy was reportedly dying anyway. I guess by killing him we did him a favor?
Good comment.

First reactions were like obvious celebrations, however when you think of it, it took the US 9+ years to find the one they were after because of 9/11/2001, 9+ years ...... and then make it seem like a huge victory... as if it will change much to today's situation. Some 8 years sooner would have been better...

Last edited by FPSHOT : May 02, 2011 at 01:38 PM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 01:45 PM   #26
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

Well, we could have captured him, but he refused to surrender, so, we shot him.
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 02:34 PM   #27
Hari's Chick

It may give people a sense of political closure that this has happened. And it may give those touched first hand by the tragedy of 9/11 some emotional closure. But in the long run, these are both short sighted. If the soul is eternal, and I believe it is, then as far as we know, Osama bin Laden has passed from his body without furthering his understanding or compassion.

The world would be better served, spiritually, had he been captured and forced to face the people who's lives he ruined. He should have been required to speak with any person affected who wished to say something to him. He should have been required to toil and labor to help feed and clothe those who were affected. He should have been required to face an examination of conscience. Otherwise, what is to be celebrated in this? He shall be reborn into another body, and he will still lack any measure of understanding or compassion.

There is a stirring stick stirring seeds of discord in all of us right now, in my opinion. I feel the discord. It's very disturbing.
Old May 02, 2011, 02:43 PM   #28
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I can't say I'm sad Osama's dead. The song "Thank You Very Much" seems very a propos in his case as he was a truly evil person.

Let's hope his followers take a different path, hopefully one away from evil and violence.

There is an old saying that unless you cut off the head of the snake, the evil still slithers. Let's hope that Osama was the head of that proverbial snake and that this reign of evil and terror will officially come to an end.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 02, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 02:48 PM   #29
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Nazism or its concepts did not fall entirely once Hitler died, if that's what you mean. The spirit of antisemitism is still flowing freely, but nevertheless, not quite as severely.
Sadly, racist factions such as Skinheads and chapters of the KKK are still in existence. One can only hope that Osama's virulent evil has come to an end and that lives AND minds will be inoculated against this kind of hateful thinking and actions.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : May 02, 2011 at 02:49 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 03:03 PM   #30
CaliLilly
Nowhere Man

Also, watching the news last night and seeing the rejoicing going on outside the White House kind of made my stomach turn. I couldn't help but remember those thousands of soldiers who lost their lives over the past 9 years in search of this guy. Is it really worth rejoicing over? I believe it to be a sad, hollow victory.

I know how sweet life can be So I'll keep myself free Of wah-wah wah-wah wah-wah
Old May 02, 2011, 03:11 PM   #31
CaliLilly
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaGirl2891 View Post
Well, we could have captured him, but he refused to surrender, so, we shot him.
I'm sure they were given the order to kill on sight. He was killed execution style-- in the head. I'd be hard pressed to believe they couldn't have overtaken or wounded a scrawny, old, dying man.

Last edited by CaliLilly : May 02, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 02, 2011, 06:37 PM   #32
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston View Post
The Americans invade 2 countries, killing thousands of innocent people in their search, and finally 10 years later they find him in another country!
Yes, but "We Americans" found him and neutralized him, didn't we?

It wasn't an Easter Egg hunt after all!

Last edited by 62hofner : May 02, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 06:38 PM   #33
62hofner

Quote:
I'm sure they were given the order to kill on sight. He was killed execution style-- in the head. I'd be hard pressed to believe they couldn't have overtaken or wounded a scrawny, old, dying man.
We had no interest in taking him along with us so that we could host a 3-ring circus in The United States.

The best possible outcome occurred.
Old May 02, 2011, 06:43 PM   #34
62hofner

If anyone knows me at all, they know I can be extremely critical of my country—when it is called for.

But I am shedding no tears over the killing of Osama bin Laden and have no issue with the way we went about getting him.

Moreover, this is a huge morale boost for The United States and its military in particular. We've got troops preparing to withdraw from Afghanistan. How great these troops can leave feeling a sense of accomplishment—regardless if they had little or even nothing to do with the operation that finally ended this search.

And even better still, this gives President Obama some serious clout going into the 2012 Elections. Nobody can ever say again that Obama and The Democratic Party are "weak" when it comes to national security!

It's all good!
Old May 02, 2011, 07:02 PM   #35
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
We had no interest in taking him along with us so that we could host a 3-ring circus in The United States.

Quote:
If anyone knows me at all, they know I can be extremely critical of my country—when it is called for.

But I am shedding no tears over the killing of Osama bin Laden and have no issue with the way we went about getting him.

Moreover, this is a huge morale boost for The United States and its military in particular. We've got troops preparing to withdraw from Afghanistan. How great these troops can leave feeling a sense of accomplishment—regardless if they had little or even nothing to do with the operation that finally ended this search.

It's all good!
Agreed.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 07:13 PM   #36
Maia 66
Sun King

^ Lol, darkhorse23... I noticed that you agreed with everything 62hofner wrote except for this:

Quote:
And even better still, this gives President Obama some serious clout going into the 2012 Elections. Nobody can ever say again that Obama and The Democratic Party are "weak" when it comes to national security!

Anyway... I love what Bill Maher said on Twitter about our President: "Somali pirates, Gaddafi's son, now bin Laden - do NOT f*** with Obama, he's Gangsta!!"

Let's just hope we can soon bring our troops home... where they belong!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 07:34 PM   #37
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Quote:

True, any legal trial he would have been given would have been a kangaroo court. The death sentence would have been the ultimate outcome anyway. As I see it the US saved money in this operation.

In his speech last night Obama stated that he gave the authorization for this action and that "His demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity". Bin Laden would have never allowed himself to be taken alive any how.

I remember hearing that he gave orders for his staff to "Marter" him if his capture was imminent, so shooting him was to that end the only way.

After the 9/11 attacks Bush II made mention that it would take a minimum of ten years to find Bin Laden. His prediction was right. Now maybe it's time to bring the troops home. They have achieved one of their stated goals. Al-Qaeda will need more than this to cease functioning, I believe it will take a combined effort of several countries to gather the intelligence and formulate a plan to ultimately shut down the Al-Qaeda network.

I just thought of this, The US must have confiscated Bin Laden's computers, notes, photos and other data in this raid. Anything he had we now have, but it will be a long time before Al-Qaeda can be put to rest.

Last edited by Blackguard : May 02, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Blackguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 08:00 PM   #38
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Anyway... I love what Bill Maher said on Twitter about our President: "Somali pirates, Gaddafi's son, now bin Laden - do NOT f*** with Obama, he's Gangsta!!"
I'd be willing to bet that if a conservative said that, there would be screaming about how it was a "racist comment."
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2011, 11:28 PM   #39
Serena

I am not quite sure if it was sarcasm or not, but I was sort of shocked to hear Rush Limbaugh say 'Thank God for President Obama.' I still give the troops the highest praise though. Still there have been very low contributes of 'change' that would grant him another term at least from my vote. An 'A' on one test will not necessarily give you an 'A' for the entire term.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 12:29 AM   #40
beatlelover45223

I understand there are photos and that they are so gruesome that the US govt; is resisting showing the photos.....

I would hate to think what would have happened if Bin Laden had come out alive, a public trial would have been a joke.

I understand that one of the Bin Laden's people in the compound used a woman as a human shield, it was later reported that Bin Laden used the woman as a shield, if this is true that he used this woman, a head shot probably was the only way to take down him down, if he was firing at the Navy Seals as reported....

One of the parents of a soldier lost early on said in an interview with him early Monday, "I thought it was illegal to pollute the ocean", after hearing that Bin Laden was buried at sea.....

I definitely was shocked to see mostly college aged students revelling(s/p?) outside the White House, patriotism ok, jubilee no!

Perhaps, this/Bin Laden killed,will bring some closure to the families of loved ones from 911....

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote