BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:49 AM   #1
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

Default Nowhere Boy movie trailer now online

What to make of a John Lennon biopic featuring actors that look nothing like Lennon and Paul McCartney and shies away from actual Beatles songs? Actually, that sounds like an interesting idea; Iíd rather be sold on a character based on performance, not the fact that the actor looks just like the real person, and if Iím going to watch the formative story behind a major artist I donít need to be reminded constantly of the person they became after the film ends.

So Nowhere Boy, starring Aaron Johnson as Lennon and Thomas Sangster as McCartney, has been an object of curiosity. Now thereís a trailer for the film, and Iím not yet sold. Check it out after the jump.
Scripted by Matt Greenhalgh and directed by first-time feature director Sam Taylor-Wood, the film focuses on Lennonís late teen home life and early friendship with Paul McCartney. Kristen Scott Thomas plays Lennonís conservative aunt, essentially his adoptive mother, and Anne-Marie Duff plays his less reliable birth mother. Itís coming of age stuff, and an invocation of the time period that led to the turbulent decade for which the Beatles were a soundtrack.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/10/28/...movie-trailer/

ďWe didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.Ē
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

That looks kind of interesting. I'd be willing to see it if it plays at any theatres here. :)

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Maia 66
Sun King

I can't WAIT to see it!! I read the script and loved it. The screenwriter also wrote Control about Ian Curtis of Joy Division. Great film!

I think one has to go into this film looking for good cinema, not necessarily Beatle history or anything. From reading the script, I know this will be a very emotional film. John is such an interesting character.... taking a slice of his life and exploring the the whole mother image theme that pretty much informed his art makes for good drama!

I read somewhere it's up for 6 BAFTAs... how could that be when it hasn't even been released? In any case, I looooove indie films and I loooooove John Lennon, so I know I will loooove Nowhere Boy!
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Maia 66
Sun King

Smile

P.S. THANKS for posting the link!!

Here's a positive review.

Last edited by Maia 66 : Oct 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 08:08 PM   #5
ilianna
Old Brown Shoe

Looks alright.
by named christened. They decided to get
together because they were the getting-together
type. When they were together they wondered
what for after all, what for? So all of a sudden
they all grew guitars and formed a noise."

- JOHN LENNON

"I'm always getting winked at these days"
ilianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 06:13 AM   #6
dogman
Nowhere Man

obviously there are moments in the film that are factual, however much of it will not be, so i don't see the point of it.

the majority of people who watch this will just assume everything in the film actually happened. it doesn't matter if they've read that this is not so, once you see something like this its hard not to see it as all true. [i think people who maybe know very little about john, even the beatles, won't really know what is true and what is fantasy.]
thats the magic of cinema.

its not only this movie, there have been many before that mixed the real and the unreal, when it comes to the life of a famous person. the reason i object to this type of thing is that a person's opinion, or view of the particular person, can be shaped by what the writer, director, and actors have created.
personally, i would like people to know things that were factual when it comes to john's early life.

you may say that this sort of thing happens all the time in biographical films, the dots are filled in by someone else. as long as the dots ARE filled in, that is what's important. i suppose i'm more critical of this movie than others because its about john.

i saw on the news that yoko requested she see the film before consent was given for the use of the song 'mother'.
she probably knows some of the history of john's early life in liverpool, but naturally most of the particular moment in time that the film covers, she would not.
so to me, it really doesn't validate the whole project whether she gives it the thumbs up or not.

some of you will say that only john himself could actually know all the facts, all the conversations, that happened during this time period? my reply would be that they should of made a film about someone else then!
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:53 AM   #7
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

I hope they actually portray the relationship between John and Paul because every movie about John I've seen has ignored Paul almost completely.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:36 PM   #8
taxman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluque125 View Post
I hope they actually portray the relationship between John and Paul because every movie about John I've seen has ignored Paul almost completely.
Of course they did, they had to be approved by Yoko
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I'll reserve judgment until I actually see it. I'm sure it will be good.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

I think we will know better than to believe everything we see (especially since this movie is apparently based on the book by Julia Baird, so it's already one step removed from John Lennon by virtue of it being his sister's remembrances and not his own, right?). It's unfortunate that most people will probably believe this is fact, but that's the case with everything -- as long as it's as close to fact as they can get, it's not a big deal.

And anyway, half of what we remember about our own lives is filled in and made up because we can't possibly remember every little conversation or anything. So even if this film had been written by John himself, it wouldn't be perfect. I guess we'll just have to reserve judgment until the film comes out! :)

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluque125 View Post
Apparently, an important part of the film is the bonding of John and Paul over the loss of their mothers at such a young age.

And to those who want an accurate depiction of history, even John himself didn't always provide one when speaking about his past! The most important things are the themes of his childhood that influenced who he later became.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 05:33 PM   #12
heyjude
Wild Honey Pie

This movie looks very good! However trailers usually are better than the movie nowadays.
But really, anything to do with The Beatles is good.
We reckoned we could make it because there were four of us. None of us would've made it alone, because Paul wasn't quite strong enough, I didn't have enough girl-appeal, George was too quiet, and Ringo was the drummer. But we thought that everyone would be able to dig at least one of us, and that's how it turned out.
- John Lennon
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2009, 05:58 PM   #13
ilovethewalrus
Fool On The Hill

Does anyone know when this movie is supposed to be released? I'm in the U.S. and am interested in seeing it. I can't pass up a chance to see a movie related to a Beatle haha

"Home, home and dry,
like a homing bird I'll fly
as a bird on wings."
ilovethewalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 10:25 AM   #14
wildewoman
Taxman

...but will it show the "nap" scene and the black cashmere sweater so puriently discussed in that John bio by old whatshisface?

The guy playing John looks like Harry Potter. Couldn't they have given the actor brown contacts, at least?

That being said, I love Kristen Scott Thomas and I'll probably go see it. Or rent it on Netflix, eventually.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Maia 66
Sun King

This whole issue of the actor not looking like John perplexes me. Tom Hulce looks nothing like Mozart, yet Amadeus is a great film! I just hope that Aaron Johnson captures John's spirit... which, at age 15-17, must have been like catching lightning in a jar!
Old Dec 06, 2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Maia 66
Sun King

Just wanted to post another positive review of the film.

Cheers
Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:21 AM   #17
sadie
Sun King

I saw this film on Monday and found it very good....people have to remember the film is not about the Beatles so don't expect there to be big references to the others....its about a troubled teenage Johns relationship with his Aunt and his mother in the 50's, so for people wondering why Beatles songs were not used that is why, it was based in the 50's way before they got famous.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:13 PM   #18
twovirgins
Sun King

I almost fell over you posted here again miss you lots (I know you're sick of me saying that)
Old Jan 01, 2010, 03:19 AM   #19
oldbeatlechick
Sun King

I wanted to see it Sadie but it isn't showing locally as far as I can see but I will investigate further! :-(

ďWe didn't all get into music for a job! We got into music to avoid a job, in truth - and get lots of girls.Ē
Paul McCartney
oldbeatlechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2010, 10:35 AM   #20
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I've heard from a couple people who've seen it who said it was good. That does perk up my interest, to say the least...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote