BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:54 AM   #1
yol
Apple Scruff

Default Mustard, Pam, Majesty

If I had a small wish, I'd like Mean Mr Mustard to be a finished song, even if it meant dropping Polythene Pam (which I can't stand). It might even still fit into the medley format.

I must admit, though, that the descending transition from PP to Bathroom Window is excellent.

Oh, well. Wishes.

(I often think that those half-songs on Abbey Road are a cop-out. Like saying, "Oh, let's throw this bit in here and tie it to that bit...")

oh, and one more thing...Her Majesty. How much better and tighter for the album to finish with the beautiful, reverberating final chord of The End? That's my other wish. (I don't have much in life, as you can see.)
H.M. is a throwaway, and the history of the recording of the album reveals that it was really an accident that the snippet was kept and placed at the end.

Last edited by yol : Jul 29, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2
valerieinthegallery
Rocky Raccoon

It's the other way round with me - I much prefer PP to MMM! But yes, Her Majesty really irritates me - it's a shame that "The End" wasn't literally the end of the album.
valerieinthegallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:01 PM   #3
LetItBeARevolution
Little Child

I read somewhere once that the Beatles didn't want Abbey Road to end with a song called "The End", so "Her Majesty" was added. It's awful I can't remember where I read that... But I agree with valerieinthegallery, I prefer "Polythene Pam" to "Mean Mister Mustard". I like "Her Majesty", though, it can be thought of a filler or a bit of a joke, but I honestly don't mind it. I do agree that the final chord of "The End" would have been an amazing end to "Abbey Road". I wouldn't say the half-songs are throw-ins or anything, I just always think of those songs as part of the different medlies in the album. Of course it seems I always have a bit of a different way of looking at things.
LetItBeARevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:49 AM   #4
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

There's nothing on that LP that I don't love.
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 05:45 AM   #5
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

"Her Majesty" has really grown on me. I used to be annoyed by it, but now it's starting to feel more right ... this cheeky little wink at the end of a beautiful, earnest statement. I don't know, somehow that seems very Beatley to me.
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudithKristen View Post
There's nothing on that LP that I don't love.
Ditto! To me, Abbey Road is perfection... like Beethoven's 9th or the Mona Lisa. Who are we, mere mortals, to question it?

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Jul 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:03 PM   #7
BeatleMcCartney
Fool On The Hill

I especially like Pam and Her Majesty. Both sit well with me for some reason. MMM is ... alright. Just my opinion. I like Pam cause it's fast, catchey and even George Harrison has said it's a typical Liverpool kind of song. Her Majesty is just a nice little piece which I've always loved.
BeatleMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8
kalb
Fool On The Hill

Hi, I'm new here, to our home page to look at, roughly, I hope I can be friends. I am a cheerful girl, my hobbies are: listening to music, table tennis and manual, etc., is also making friends.

Last edited by Jerry : Aug 06, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
kalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2010, 10:54 PM   #9
John Cee
Day Tripper

I've always liked "Mean Mr Mustard", especially the way it bounces in after "Sun King". And "Polythene Pam" has some great guitar work, and not just Paul's solo. However, I could have done without "Her Majesty" and always consider "The End" as the real finale of ABBEY ROAD -- to me, "Her Majesty" is sort of a little encore by Paul after the rest of the band has left the stage.

I've got nothing to say, but it's okay!
GOOD MORNING!
GOOD MORNING!!
GOOD MORNING!!!
John Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Daisy Chain Clouds
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Ditto! To me, Abbey Road is perfection... like Beethoven's 9th or the Mona Lisa. Who are we, mere mortals, to question it?
Me three. Abbey Road is my favorite album. Even on the billionth listen it will still manage to give me goosebumps!

As for MMM, I much prefer it to PP, but the album needs PP to make the transition to She Came in Through the Bathroom Window. Honestly that little snippet of a song is one of my top five favorite tracks, if not my favorite. Everything from John's "Oh, look out!" to the harmonizing "aaaaa"s, I love it!
Daisy Chain Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2010, 11:45 AM   #11
bobdude
Dr. Robert

During the original structure of the LP, before it was released, Her Majesty actually was in between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam. It actually fits better there as there are no awkward chord sequencing as on the official released version. So the original plan was for the LP to end on The End!
Old Aug 08, 2010, 08:05 PM   #12
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cee View Post
... to me, "Her Majesty" is sort of a little encore by Paul after the rest of the band has left the stage.
Ha, never thought of it that way before. Leave it to Paul to get in the last word. : D
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 04:17 PM   #13
JohnWOL
Little Child

I really love Her Majesty, haha. I thought It was cute and quick, and it was something my friends and I could recite to each other for a laugh. I agree, it's very Beatley little quirk to a great album.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:43 PM   #14
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
i would think so.. i mean i can't imagine Abbey Road without the pick-up that mean mister mustard and polythene pam provide.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote