BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:47 AM   #21
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
Mine arrived on Saturday. I still wish there were more bonus tracks...
That's the polite way of putting it...

I mean, excuse me, but...

- ATMP: same bonus tracks as on earlier re-release

- DH: same as above

- LITMW: same as above for two of the ''bonus'' tracks, third one = already long available on compilation CD

So right there, three out five = complete busts as far as ''bonus'' tracks !

... but, also...

- ET: o.k., as har as I know, the ''later'' version of ''This guitar can't keep from crying'' had never been released before, as far as I know, not on CD at least

- Only Wonderwall fares better... but only slightly: George doesn't play or sing a note on two of the extra tracks and may not have on the other, ''In the first place'' (he's still has not been officially credited as doing so to this date)

Also, most of the bonus tracks, in addition to already having seen the light of day, are demos or alternate versions of actual songs

Add to that all the ''repeats'' on the box-set DVD...

No, I'm sorry, they could have tried just a bit harder... not a single previously unheard or at least unreleased demo of an unreleased track or outake could be found or added one any of those ? ... just with what was on a bootleg called ''Beware of ABKCO'', there would be well enough good stuff to fill an entire extra disc on ATMP.

... heck, at worst, make a vitual duet with already existing tracks (as long as it's done with the ''right people'': Dhani, former Wilburys, Paul, Ringo, ect)... anything, but something !
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:48 PM   #22
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Mine arrived on Saturday morning and it looks great sitting next to my 'Dark Horse Years' box set.

I even managed to fit 'Early Years volume 1' into the set between 'Wonderwall' and 'ATMP'.

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:02 AM   #23
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
- ATMP: same bonus tracks as on earlier re-release

- DH: same as above

- LITMW: same as above for two of the ''bonus'' tracks, third one = already long available on compilation CD

So right there, three out five = complete busts as far as ''bonus'' tracks !
There's never been a CD release of Dark Horse with bonus tracks before. As for "Bangladesh," this is the first time it's been remastered since that compilation, and supposedly it's remixed.

Quote:
- Only Wonderwall fares better... but only slightly: George doesn't play or sing a note on two of the extra tracks and may not have on the other, ''In the first place'' (he's still has not been officially credited as doing so to this date)
Not sure what you expected here, considering he doesn't play on the album itself (or at least not a significant amount). As for "In the First Place," credits be damned, do you really not hear his backing vocals?

Quote:
Also, most of the bonus tracks, in addition to already having seen the light of day, are demos or alternate versions of actual songs
...and? What's wrong with alternate versions? The early take of "Dark Horse" is incredible. Were you hoping for "Soundstage of Mind" or something? I'll admit, it would have been cool to have more of the ATMP-era demos but my guess is they're saving them for a 50th anniversary reissue. But I doubt there are any fully-fleshed-out outtakes in the vault, at least from the era this box set represents. Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all defending the paltry amount of bonus tracks. I just don't see the problem with alternate versions. Take "The Light That Has Lighted the World" for instance. I've always found the LITMW version to be quite maudlin and draggy. But the demo version on Early Takes is one of my favorite George recordings ever. It's great to have that different version out there that really puts the spotlight on the incredible lyrics.

Quote:
... heck, at worst, make a vitual duet with already existing tracks (as long as it's done with the ''right people'': Dhani, former Wilburys, Paul, Ringo, ect)... anything, but something !
Well, here's where we completely disagree. In what universe is hearing a 70something Bob Dylan croak along to "I'd Have You Anytime" preferable to era-appropriate rarities like the instrumental "The Inner Light"? Modern reinterpretations of old songs are the worst type of bonus track possible. "My Sweet Lord (2000)" is Exhibit B--the remixes on the 90s Queen CD releases are Exhibit A. (You'll notice my lack of enthusiasm for the Platinum Weird "This Guitar," even though it's a passable take on the song, and probably better in some ways than the original.)

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2014, 06:43 AM   #24
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

A round up for most of the promotional films for the up coming set:

The complete 'Apple Years' box set
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL21-rtHnp8

Electronic Sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z6Ugne78eQ

Wonderwall
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YguwctfaE48

All Things Must Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2zXUYRXH0

Living In The Material World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbXxHDySQI

A new addition is this one:
Dark Horse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_kWbptqFT4

Old Oct 04, 2014, 07:26 AM   #25
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

..... let's not forget a long "forgotten album" ....

Winston O' Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 04, 2014, 08:18 AM   #26
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymain View Post
Mine arrived on Saturday morning and it looks great sitting next to my 'Dark Horse Years' box set.

I even managed to fit 'Early Years volume 1' into the set between 'Wonderwall' and 'ATMP'.
Would you like to share your thoughts on the DVD content
Old Oct 04, 2014, 08:23 AM   #27
Winston O' Boogie
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymain View Post
There's a nice trailer for the upcoming box set live on the official site now plus the ability to pre-order directly from the official online shop - and it's available at quite a good price too - only £5 less than Amazon UK excluding P&P):

http://www.georgeharrison.com/

The DVD contents are as follows (apparently):

George Harrison – The Apple Years Feature (2014) [7:27] - Directed By Olivia Harrison

All Things Must Pass (bonus feature in 2001 album package) [8:03]

The Concert for Bangladesh EPK (2005) [6:03]

Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (Live In Japan, 1991) [3:43]

Miss O’Dell (alternative version from 2006 deluxe edition of LITMW) [2:31]

Sue Me Sue You Blues (acoustic demo version from 2006 deluxe edition of LITMW) [3:04]

Living In The Material World (feature from 2006 deluxe edition of LITMW) [3:34]

Ding Dong, Ding Dong (original promo video, 1974) [3:46] - Directed by George Harrison

Dark Horse (original promotional clip, 1974) [:30]
After digging through the posts I found your comments, damn still no footage from 1974 concert tour that's a shame this DVD is rather thin!

Last edited by Winston O' Boogie : Oct 04, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:51 AM   #28
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston O' Boogie View Post
After digging through the posts I found your comments, damn still no footage from 1974 concert tour that's a shame this DVD is rather thin!
There's a rumour that the exclusion of any '74 tour footage is because they are going to be releasing a CD/DVD set from the tour.

Nothing officially confirmed, of course, but apparently it's coming early next year.