BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:05 PM   #41
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Delight View Post
Earlier someone asked if i would post some of my artwork related to George here...

Here is a recent example-

These two to me are more like a beginning of an actual George and Dhani look-a-like than the first ones? Sorry just my opinion.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:43 PM   #42
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Earlier someone asked if i would post some of my artwork related to George here...

Ooooh, very nice!!! I love George's raised eyebrow and the furrow! Is this done in colored pencil?

Quote:
After that initial reintroduction, the following year was quite wonderful and full of all sorts of discoveries...both related to George and his works, and also to spiritually related aspirations. Not only was his music all being discovered, but he also led me to learn more about some of the fasinating Eastern beliefs which made a lot of sense to me. Call it a catalystic moment of awareness that brought everything of real importance in ones' life together. It was as if several threads from the past were now being drawn together and George was a part of it. Quite an impact.

What a beautiful story! It seems like George was always there in your heart, first in the background of your life, then when the time was right... he said, "hello." I believe with all my heart that Krishna allows us to sometimes have - almost blinders on - so that things, people, or experiences can be right there... but we just look through them. Then one day, when He lets us see, we do. I understand what you mean about the catalystic moment of awareness bringing everything important together.... and how George was a part of bringing those threads together, as you say. That is just so very beautiful.

George's words can reach right inside everything and give such warmth. And of course the music, too, his music.

I understand about when a singers words... and self, really, remain obscured while in plain sight, when really they hold a key element to your soul. I had that experience with MJ, after he passed. See, some will say "oh everyone likes someone after they pass" but that has nothing to do with it. In my case, Krishna knew when I needed certain insights which MJ provided to me. It could not have come into my life at another time. I was not ready for it.

I see your experience too as part of the Divine Cosmic Play. George is so many parts to that play! He is a narrator and a singer and sometimes a jester. btw, "That's What It Takes" is such a beautiful song to reintroduce you!

Last edited by Hari's Chick : Aug 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:50 PM   #43
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
These two to me are more like a beginning of an actual George and Dhani look-a-like than the first ones? Sorry just my opinion.

Well, I think it is sort of stylized? Kind of like my Paul pastel you thought was not so Paul like. But I was going for an impressionist kind of thing...
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:00 PM   #44
FPSHOT
Sun King

i do not know of any Paul pastel but this is about George; sorry but I believe the first one is more Jools Holland or Dave Clark

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:02 PM   #45
Hari's Chick

Serious? Oh, alas, my art makes little impression!
It was ... All Those Years Ago..
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:39 PM   #46
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
Serious? Oh, alas, my art makes little impression!
It was ... All Those Years Ago..
HC, i LOVE your artwork and i know the Harrison's (and some very special other folks) do aswell! It makes quite an impression!!

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:43 PM   #47
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:

And now to 'the story' a few were asking for about how i became introduced to the works of Mr. Harrison. I have been thinking about how to best tell it, as it is complicated and not very easy to tell in short words. But here goes...

I first became of aware of his music in the early 80s, when i first saw the fantastic film 'Time Bandits'. The song that played at the end of the film, 'Dream Away', really stuck with me. A few years later when George released his hugely successful LP 'Cloud Nine' i was properly introduced to him and his work.

This was 1987, and i was 15 at the time. The music video for 'Got My Mind Set On You' made a impression on me. This was the US version, with George seated in a drawing room with the animated set peices moving about around him. I LOVED it...but what really grabbed my attention was the man himself. Difficult to desribe, but there was some type of familar 'connection' there which attracted me on a subconcious level.

I bought the album and listened to it all the time...never even being really aware of his past. Of course my Dad menioned it, and i was aware of The Beatles and such...but saw George only as a solo artist. A completely seperate entity in his own right. Soon The Traveling Wilbury LPs were released, and i was still hooked primarily because of this interest and appeal of Georges work. I never pursued learning more about him at this point, or venturing into his back catalog of recordings. Time moved on and so did I.

Fast forward to two years ago, when one lazy afternoon i was working in my room and decided to put on some old LPs. I played 'Cloud Nine' and when the song 'That's What It Takes' played through it hit me - the lyrics were meaning more to me now then when i last heard them as a teenager. It took on a whole new level of enjoyment. Difficult to desribe, but it lit a spark that inspired me to seek out further recordings by George. I did some research to learn more about him as a person, and this led to his spiritual interests which i embraced fully. It was a whole new world at that point..and i was 're-introduced' to him in a way, but this time on a much more proper and personal level.

After that initial reintroduction, the following year was quite wonderful and full of all sorts of discoveries...both related to George and his works, and also to spiritually related aspirations. Not only was his music all being discovered, but he also led me to learn more about some of the fasinating Eastern beliefs which made a lot of sense to me. Call it a catalystic moment of awareness that brought everything of real importance in ones' life together. It was as if several threads from the past were now being drawn together and George was a part of it. Quite an impact.

I throughly enjoyed all his albums, and the more i learned the more moved and delighted i was to be able to 'know' him in this manner. I explored a little in The Beatles catalog, but still to this day i see the two time periods as a completely different person. I see George as just himself, a solo artist with a charming sense of humour and a very spiritually inclined personality. All this happiness and sense of discovery inspired me to express it in my artwork, and later in the form of 'George' the marionette. Sharing that joy with others was the driving force behind it all.

I am extrememly grateful to have had that experience, and continue to enjoy his presence in it's many forms.

Unknown Delight, i love the colours you use here, especially with George..the richness and texture of his hair is amazing!! Was this pencil drawn? it is just so rich in colour and texture it blows me away! Also the 'white spaces' left on the paper in their faces are very effective..its like how George played the guitar i think, to know when to play/draw and when not too...its that contrast and sometimes 'leaving space' that really adds to it. I know George felt the same about guitar..sometimes less, is more..and you really have the right balance and "Georgness" here! I wish i could draw like you and HC!!

- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Aug 11, 2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:19 AM   #48
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Quote:
What a beautiful story! It seems like George was always there in your heart, first in the background of your life, then when the time was right... he said, "hello." I believe with all my heart that Krishna allows us to sometimes have - almost blinders on - so that things, people, or experiences can be right there... but we just look through them. Then one day, when He lets us see, we do. I understand what you mean about the catalystic moment of awareness bringing everything important together.... and how George was a part of bringing those threads together, as you say. That is just so very beautiful.

George's words can reach right inside everything and give such warmth. And of course the music, too, his music.

I understand about when a singers words... and self, really, remain obscured while in plain sight, when really they hold a key element to your soul. I had that experience with MJ, after he passed. See, some will say "oh everyone likes someone after they pass" but that has nothing to do with it. In my case, Krishna knew when I needed certain insights which MJ provided to me. It could not have come into my life at another time. I was not ready for it.

I see your experience too as part of the Divine Cosmic Play. George is so many parts to that play! He is a narrator and a singer and sometimes a jester. btw, "That's What It Takes" is such a beautiful song to reintroduce you!
Hari's Chick, I could never have said it better. George's music crosses all barriers and fills all hearts. I have said that I am God's boomerang - God threw me and I came back to Him. I think George's music is sort of like that. God knows everything and He knew who better than a Beatle to get through to me - small wonder I am such a George fan. I am glad that my church uses some of George's songs and we use his lyrics to discuss the relevance of Scripture and the importance of receiving the message.

"Dear One" is another beautiful song. I especially love this one. It is a prayer set to music and it is another good introduction. I think George's lyrics had a key to many people's hearts/souls. His music crossed every ethnic, national, religious, social, economic, neurological barrier. There are many Beatle fans with autism and, interestingly many of the fans on the Spectrum relate to George and George's music.

Louise French taught George and the Harrison 4 to be good people. I like to think that Louise lived on in her beautiful son.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:22 PM   #49
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
Unknown Delight, i love the colours you use here, especially with George..the richness and texture of his hair is amazing!! Was this pencil drawn? it is just so rich in colour and texture it blows me away! Also the 'white spaces' left on the paper in their faces are very effective..its like how George played the guitar i think, to know when to play/draw and when not too...its that contrast and sometimes 'leaving space' that really adds to it. I know George felt the same about guitar..sometimes less, is more..and you really have the right balance and "Georgness" here! ....

Many thanks CWW for the kind comments. Yes, this peice was done in colored pencil with some ink elements. All of my work is hand drawn and colored. A lot of my designs, particularly 'portrait' type images, have a white background. I find it makes the images look nice. Again, thank you for your observations and feedback. It is much appreciated. Coming from someone who seems to have a firm understanding of this man, it means all the more to me to hear your opinions.

Here is one more peice that you may enjoy which i am sharing since you liked the first sample. It is of Dhani, some years ago.

-

-

Getting back to the 'George' marionette now....

Here is one of several sets of drawing i did to work out some ideas for 'George' before construction began. The three main clothing choices that were being debated over until the last minute can be seen at the top of the page.

www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer
Unknown Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:29 PM   #50
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Quote:

....... btw, "That's What It Takes" is such a beautiful song to reintroduce you!
Thank you Hari's Chick! You pretty much summed it all up in your paragraph there, and i am a firm believer that everything happens for a very beneficial reason, even if at the time it may not seem so. George has been with me in some form for a while, but it never really came to light until two years ago. Now it all makes sense!

"That's What It Takes" is still one of my fave tunes of his. I was pleased to finally be able to do a Performance Video of it with 'George' in marionette form as up until now it was a puzzle how to do so. The main item of concern was the guitar solo, which longtime fans know was performed by Eric Clapton. The 'guest appearence' by the Python-eised 'Eric' in the video solved that 'problem', as well as add a fun bit of GH inspired humour to the project.

Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:30 PM   #51
Hari's Chick

Quote:
The 'guest appearence' by the Python-eised 'Eric' in the video solved that 'problem', as well as add a fun bit of GH inspired humour to the project.
That was so funny!! Very Python! :D
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:08 PM   #52
beatlebangs1964

Delight, you are a very talented person! I for one like the marionette and he is instantly recognizable as George.

For those who are scared of the marionette, think of it like this. It is an image of George, well done of an older George and think of it like this as well - it needs more love. Just like real George.

Delight, I love your drawings and the sketches you made to create George. I would love to see you do a show with George.

also, check out www.mrpuppet.com

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Aug 12, 2010, 05:56 PM   #53
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Thanks Beatlebangs for your kind response. I am glad you think he looks good!

There will always be some people who are scared or nervous about puppets, or any type of 'pretend' character. Think of friends you know of who might be really freaked out by costume characters, or clowns. It is the same type of fear really...usually something someone just finds unnerving. Of course some horror movies from the past 30 years have not exactly helped things....( 'Puppet Master' , 'Magic', etc.)

'George' has performed live once before a audience. He had his debut at a local entertainment/pro performers club that regularly invites me to perform my full Marionette Show productions. I was appearing for them again, and before my usual half hour Show 'George' played 'Any Road' for them 'live' on his Uke. They liked him a lot, and they asked for more, so he later performed 'Devil and The Deep Blue Sea' for them as a late night 'bonus' post-Show.

I ran my own marionette entertainment business from the mid 80s to the late 90s. My portable stage productions were hired to travel just about everywhere it seemed in my home state. My Show was unique, with all original animal characters i created doing a musicial 'variety' style of show, so it was for every age. Many adults liked it just as much as the kids. People used to hire me for school events, holiday parties/events, kids birthdays at home...you name it. I 'retired' somewhat from the tour circuit in 99' as i wanted to focus on other creative endeavors. Once in a great while i still come out, set up my stage, and do a gig somewhere...but it is pretty rare now.

'George' can easily perform anywhere...once he gets there. That is the tricky part....but once he is somewhere, he settles in and is eager to play!

Last edited by Unknown Delight : Aug 12, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:45 AM   #54
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
HC, i LOVE your artwork and i know the Harrison's (and some very special other folks) do aswell! It makes quite an impression!!
btw...

Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:54 AM   #55
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
George's music crosses all barriers and fills all hearts. I have said that I am God's boomerang - God threw me and I came back to Him. I think George's music is sort of like that. God knows everything and He knew who better than a Beatle to get through to me - small wonder I am such a George fan.
BB, that is so beautiful. I love that... God's boomerang... that is beautiful. :)
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:43 AM   #56
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:

'George' can easily perform anywhere...once he gets there. That is the tricky part....but once he is somewhere, he settles in and is eager to play!
Sounds a bit like the real life George!!

And by the sound of it at your local club, people are eager and 'George' is already doing encores!!

i enjoyed the sketches and plans for the marionette, again it just shows how thought out the project was and your keen attention to detail..loved one of the suits and your notes next to it "too beatley?" George probably thought the same thing when he was trying on suits!!

- David Byrne
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:11 AM   #57
beatlebangs1964

I would love for your 'George' to perform in my neighborhood.

He will receive much love.

As for George's suits, I doubt Delight's George gets his clothes off the rack!

I loved the sketches and the finished product. You are a very talented person, Delight.

Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:05 PM   #58
beatlebangs1964

On a serious note....

Delight, you created George out of love, just as Harold Sr. and Louise created real George out of love.

See, what makes George so special is that I think he was all about love. His lyrics; his philosophy; his deeply profound and intellectual musings all have a basis in love.

So count me in as one of the people who love your marionette George. I can easily imagine someone working him to play "Any Road."

Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:18 PM   #59
loveyouinstead
Little Child

Quote:
See, what makes George so special is that I think he was all about love.
For sure! And everyone who was important to him in his life recognized and adored this about him. That's why I feel quite sure that they would recognize this in your work, Unknown Delight - that your marionette is a labor of love. I'm sure they'd be quite touched.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:51 PM   #60
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Aww..hearing you say this makes me all warm and toasty inside. It is so nice after all this time to finally find some folks who seem to FULLY understand and accept this project for what it is - a expression of love in a creative form.
You would be surprised at some of the more negative responses he has recieved.

I do appreciate honest opinions, and fully realize not everyone will like seeing a puppet creation of one of the favorite performers. That is of course completely okay, and i can respect that, but in one case on another related forum, things became a bit heavy. The topic snowballed into a discussion that was not at all appropriate for where the thread was posted. It was a bad experience for me, but in the end their was a wonderful happy ending..which i was VERY thankful and grateful for.

Here things are very positive and i feel this endeavour is welcome.

I am indeed warmed at the thoughts expressed earlier about how his friends and family would possibly enjoy 'George' and his antics. That means a lot to me, it really does. It would be a immense joy to know they had seen and even more comforting to somehow be aware of their opinons. As i touched on earlier, the way things are passed along and shared on the internet these days i am fairly certain at this point surely someone in the close fold has found out about 'George' and watched some of his videos. Someone out their must be watching...as the numbers keep going up and up!

I thank all of you again for your heartfelt support and fantastic feedback regarding this endeavour. Yes i agree- GEORGE IS LOVE!

Last edited by Unknown Delight : Aug 13, 2010 at 02:59 PM.