BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Aug 26, 2002, 06:59 AM   #1
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Writing....

I've noticed we have a number of writers here on Beatlelinks - some write fan fic, some other things. I'm curious as to how various people approach the craft of writing. As in, do you agonize over every word and write very slowly or do you just throw any old thing down and then go back and edit it? (I usually use the latter approach myself.) Do you force yourself to write or do you just do it whenever the spirit strikes you? Do you rely on others for editing or do you mostly self-edit? If you're writing something of some length, do you outline ahead of time? Do you research ahead of time or just as things come up?

I'm trying to spend more time on my writing, both at my job and in my spare time. I'd love to hear from the other writers out there and share experiences. Thanks!

------------------
I go back so far, I'm in front of me...
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 03:06 PM   #2
MithrilGuitar
Rocky Raccoon

Default Re: Writing....

I can't outline things, it just doesn't work for me. The only time I ever do it, also the only time I force myself to write, is when it is required for school. And a lot of time my school writing turns out badly because it's not my style. I really only write when I feel like it, or when I have a bunch of ideas all together in one place. And when I get ideas, I like to write them down. Also, I usually write things on the computer, because I can use the spell check, edit things quickly, and write faster. Not to mention more legibly...

------------------
~ and ~
*MithrilGuitar*

Visit my site! (Please) http://thechicklettes.tripod.com
MithrilGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 04:22 PM   #3
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Rellevart:
I've noticed we have a number of writers here on Beatlelinks - some write fan fic, some other things. I'm curious as to how various people approach the craft of writing. As in, do you agonize over every word and write very slowly or do you just throw any old thing down and then go back and edit it? (I usually use the latter approach myself.) Do you force yourself to write or do you just do it whenever the spirit strikes you? Do you rely on others for editing or do you mostly self-edit? If you're writing something of some length, do you outline ahead of time? Do you research ahead of time or just as things come up?

I'm trying to spend more time on my writing, both at my job and in my spare time. I'd love to hear from the other writers out there and share experiences. Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been writing for personal enjoyment since I was about eight years old--it's just always been something I enjoy. I don't really agonize over the wording of things--I usually write it down and then go back and edit it. The best approach to writing anything, be it an essay for school/work or a story that no one else will read, is to write it down, let it sit for a few days without reading it...then go back and take a second look at it. When you distance yourself from your work like that, it's easier to go back and make changes.

I can usually write for days on end when I get a really good idea for a story (before writer's block sets in). One thing that has *really* helped me develop my writing in general is keeping a journal and just writing in it for 5 or 10 minutes each day to keep my thought processes running. I don't really write about a particular topic in the journal--whatever comes to mind (venting about work, etc.)

I do most of my editing myself, at least when it comes to grammatical and punctuation errors (my 36 in English on the ACT in high school was no accident, after all the practice I had. Now, my math score... that's another story...). However, it never hurts to have a second set of eyes look at your work. Someone else WILL pick up on any errors you might have missed because they're not looking at it for the 307th time in one week. I've slipped up in writing my fan fics before. My friend Kathy read a chapter I was about to post and said, "Um, in this scene, you have so-and-so talking to Laurie here...Didn't that person leave the house two minutes earlier?"

When I have to write something lengthy (and this is for schoolwork or my job), I do have to outline my thoughts and research in advance before I even sit down at the keyboard and type anything. I've found that, honestly, if you put in the time and effort to get together your research and outline all the topics and main points you want to cover in your piece of writing in advance, the battle is two-thirds over--the paper practically writes itself at that point. You know exactly what you want to say by then.

However.....when I'm writing any type of fan fic or other fictional stories, it really depends. Sometimes I like not having a road map and just writing what comes up (you can always go back and re-edit things if you don't like them--that's the luxury of computer-based word processing). Sometimes I DO need a game plan...It really all depends on the situation.

Feel free to email me if you need any more info...I'd be glad to help!

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 04:59 PM   #4
SF4-EVER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Rellevart:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to hear you're taking up writing, Rell! Hope it works out for you!

As far as I approach writing: I'm one of those writers who has to mull over a sentence before putting it down on paper.

I write every day; for me, it seems easier to write when you do it every day instead of waiting for the muse to move you. (I also think the muse is kinder to me because I write so much -- the more you write, the easier it gets.) My goal is to write at least 500 words every day on my current story, and if I have time/energy, I work on other projects as well. Sadly, lately I've had problems meeting this word count due to long work hours and and too little sleep.

I mostly self-edit. Before I start each writing session I read over what I wrote the night before and "tweak" it before continuing on with the story. I also review each chapter of my current story before I post it on my site, and Susan has also edited the stories that appeared on her site. I could really use another pair of eyes to go over my work, though -- I'm too close to it to revise it effectively.

I don't create official outlines of my stories. Before I start a story, I mull it over in my head for a while; some stories incubated for over a year in my head before I started writing. I usually know where I'll start and where I'll want to end up before I start writing, along with some "big scenes" along the way. What I often find, though, is that the characters and the story will change as I write it; for instance, the plot of "Move Over Ms. L." took a major twist as I was writing it. Personally, I think this is a good thing, as it's a sign the story has a life of its own. I find it very rewarding when unrelated things come together unexpectedly and give the stories a new dimension. Oh, and I research both before and during the writing stage.

In case this wasn't enough rambling about writing for you, I have a series of essays called "Passing the Pen" on my website (www.sandraulbrich.com) where I discuss other aspects of writing. Feel free to take a look.

Again, good luck to you and your writing! I hope you grow to love writing as much as I do -- it's very rewarding!

Best,

Sandra

------------------

Contributing Editor for Rooftop Sessions
Lennon's Line--A science fiction series about John's descendants--Updated 7/20/02
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 05:02 PM   #5
lilsamharrison
Mr. Moonlight

I just write when ever I get the urge. *smiles* I've been getting alot of ideas latly. Heres a link!
http://fanfiction.net/profile.php?userid=183087

Thats me stuff. Please review if ya read! *smiles*

------------------
"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that. I'm right and will be proved right. We're more popular that Jesus now; I don't know which will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were think and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.
- John Lennon, 1966 (This quote sparked quite a large controversy, as many of you might know)

"No I wouldn't say that at all."
- John Lennon, 1966, in response to the question "Do you feel you are being cruicified?"
lilsamharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 05:08 PM   #6
lilsamharrison
Mr. Moonlight

O yea. This one hasnt come up yet. Its me new S&G fic! YEA!
http://fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=934625

------------------
"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue about that. I'm right and will be proved right. We're more popular that Jesus now; I don't know which will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right, but his disciples were think and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me.
- John Lennon, 1966 (This quote sparked quite a large controversy, as many of you might know)

"No I wouldn't say that at all."
- John Lennon, 1966, in response to the question "Do you feel you are being cruicified?"
lilsamharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 05:08 PM   #7
Drumhead15
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to Drumhead15 Send a message via MSN to Drumhead15 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumhead15

I usually get ideas for my stories in the middle of the night, so I have to jot them down immediately or their gone. So I just write a bit, just to get myself started, then the next day I'll do some research on the topic and go through and pick out my mistakes. I don't force myself to write. I just do it whenever the mood strikes. I don't always agonize of little things, but every once in a while I'll end up with something that really bugs me. I always try to be creative with my school writings, and at times it's gotten me an A, and other times it's gotten me and F. Some teachers don't like you to experiment I guess. I do most of my own editing, but usually have several other people read it also, just to make sure I'm okay.

Those are my basic writing habits.

------------------
...Bad Boy...
Drumhead15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 05:28 PM   #8
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

To write is my profession (I'm a journalist) and one of my greatest joys in life. Great to know there's people like me around the place

I usually force myself to get an outline of the story - who's in it, where and why (a very reporter-like approach, you could say!) - and then I let my mind wander free around it. Whatever happens from this start is anyone's guess, mine included.

Ressearch is important, but to do it ahead of time or not comes from your work routine -I usually ressearch before I start to write (another reporter's habit - get to know what you are speaking about!).

I try to write as much as I can, and at any spare time I get to have. Not that my muse ain't kind, but I can always improve my style or strike a new idea. Besides, I have so much fun writing that even when I'm not on a good mood I'm putting pen to paper. It cheers me up.

I usually self-edit my works, but you can always count on a trusted beta-reader to help you. In my case, I have my fiancee - he reads the complete work and tells me what's to improve, on his point of view. He sees things I wasn't aware of and mistakes I was sure I didn't make...

All the best and good luck!

Anna

------------------
Been beat up and battered 'round
Been sent up, and I've been shot down
You're the best thing that I've ever found
Handle me with care
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2002, 08:02 PM   #9
JDanRyan
Wild Honey Pie

Hey Rel,

I wish I had a magic saying that applies in all cases that I could give everyone wanting to be writers that would make their lives easier. Unfortunately, I don't really have such a piece of advice, save this:

Find a routine you're comfortable with.

It sounds pat, I admit, but over the years that seems to be the one constant. When I started out, I too kept asking around as to how writers practice their craft, and I kept getting a wide range of answers, from doing a strenuous hour in the morning to a few lazy lines every few nights. None of the answers ever had a constant, except that for the answerer, it was the right approach.

As I looked for accounts of other writers’ routines, I’d find such oddities as the following:

* Balzac used to wake up at midnight, brew a large pot of coffee, and write until dawn. (He would have loved a 24-7 Starbucks if they’d had them in Paris back then…)

* H. P. Lovecraft would wander the streets at night first before setting down with a typewriter, while Robert E. Howard with whom he corresponded extensively with would go at it longhand out back in the Texas sun in the afternoons.

* Margaret Atwood would use a manual typewriter in the garage every afternoon. (I actually got to see the set she typed out THE HANDMAID’S TALE on, and Lord what a finger bone-breaker that model was…)

* Braham Stoker took months to do DRACULA while he was holed up in cottages on the Irish coast, planning out his itinerary before hand, while Mary Shelly did FRANKENSTEIN in one sitting picking a room at random at the chateau she happened to have found herself at with no choice in the matter as to her lodgings.

* Truman Capote would only write for six months of the year, secluding himself in a cabin away from all distractions, then spend the next six months partying with everyone and anyone in New York. (The big mistake he made was writing about the parties he’d done; his social circle never forgave him for that, and the writing routine got shot to pieces because of this...)

The common thread is, there is no real common thread, save that for each of these people, this is what worked for them. Try a few different settings, vary the environment to taste, and see what happens.

And don’t be afraid to change things, as sometimes an established routine that allows you a lot of centering and creative flow may no longer serve its purpose. I myself used to start writing on an old Mac near midnight, go on until three or so, then go out for a beer and a large brekkie if it was the weekend. I got a family and a new machine, though, and that became difficult to sustain, so I had to find a new routine. Now I try to fit in a few words whenever I can, mostly earlier at night and on weekend afternoons, knowing that if I couldn’t change my routine I’d be out of the game. Like all creatures, writers too must adapt to their environment or face extinction.

I hope that’s of some help. Good luck with finding your routine, and looking forward to your work.

------------------
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" - Dr. Strangelove
JDanRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 04:53 AM   #10
Rellevart

I think the first thing I have to do is buy my own computer!

I've been writing humorous poems and short essays for years (I would love to be Dave Barry, albeit a female Dave Barry 15 years younger!), but I'd like to try my hand at fiction. I know I can do the actual writing part of it, but all my ideas are suited to short forms - nothing that could sustain more than 20 pages or so.

Thanks for all your tips and thoughts. By the way, I've been told I'm an excellent editor, so if anybody wants extra eyes, I'd be happy to help!

------------------
Old Aug 27, 2002, 06:53 AM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Everybody here has raised some EXCELLENT points. Writing, like any other muse is tailored to the individual -- no one approach applies to all.

In my case, stories often "come" to me. Many times I feel like a reader or viewer of a show when a story comes to me. More often that not, I have no idea of how I thought up/created the story in the first place. I feel like a passenger enjoying (most times) the ride.

I like what everyone here has said; Rel, I sincerely hope you do submit your work to Rooftop. That is an excellent source of good Beatle fanfic and one can draw from a myriad of approaches and ideas there.

Keep it up and you'll release your inner Paperback Writer!

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 06:57 AM   #12
Rellevart

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Rel, I sincerely hope you do submit your work to Rooftop.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, nice of you to say. But I'm not writing fan fic, so I think I'll have to find another outlet for my material.

------------------
Old Aug 27, 2002, 09:53 AM   #13
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I didn't think you were writing fanfic, Rell...I know that isn't your cuppa...

But I look forward to seeing your name on a book jacket someday!!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. August 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:10 AM   #14
MonaMe577
Bulldog

Rell--

I've always enjoyed writing (I once got 30 bonus points for a story I wrote in 7th grade -- yes, 30. 70 out of 40 ) It's my forte, I guess--don't even talk to me about math ...

That said, even those who enjoy writing can sometimes find it difficult. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in front of my computer staring at a blank screen working on "They Say It's Wonderful."

I basically write in two different ways. One is where a bug has bitten me and I can just sit down and write a pretty, flowing chapter. Usually, these chapters are out of order, and I end up with chapters 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, and 10.

Then, to get the chapters that I don't really want to write but have to in order to keep the story together, I follow a process like yours. I sit in front of the computer and just write, crank out any old thing to get the chapter done, ignoring spelling, strange dialogue, etc. I let this sit for a while (a couple of hours, overnight), then go back, read what I wrote, wince , and edit it. This process works very well for me.

Good luck with your writing!

------------------
... she will cry when she learns we are two...if I fell in love with you ...

"Hello, Homer, I'm George Harrison."
"Oh my God! Where'd you get that brownie?" -- The Simpsons

[This Message Has Been Edited By MonaMe577 On August 27, 2002 10:10 AM]
MonaMe577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:24 AM   #15
Rellevart

Oh, and by the way, I was a math major in college, so if any of you who said "We're not going to talk about math" need any math advice in your stories.....

------------------
Old Aug 27, 2002, 10:46 AM   #16
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to ImaginePeace78 Send a message via Yahoo to ImaginePeace78

I've been writing stories since I was a kid. When I was in Jr. High/High School, I wrote a few historical fiction stories, but they got off the ground. But when I was in college, I was able to write again and actually *finish* a story. Two of them are on my website "Kristi's Writing Desk." I'm currently working on a novel that takes place in the 1970's, John is one of the characters--but he's part of them *entire* story, only for a few chapters.
When I was in college, I used to work on my story at night. I'd get all my homework (or most of it) done before that, and then I'd take some time to write. Outlines, whether writing a story or an essay never worked for me. I just sat down and wrote. I was an English minor in college, and took a few creative writing classes as well.
Now, being at home, I find it harder to write because someone is *always* home. If I write at night, sometimes my parents bug me for sleeping in too late (because I was writing/or working on my website the night before). Oh, well. Someday, I'll get my novel done and the John part of my story (which could be it's own story if I wanted it that way) may be on Rooftopsessions someday!
All You Need Is Love,
Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the oppurtunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Allistar Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote