BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jan 10, 2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Default Have you been to a Beatles concert?

Has anyone here been lucky enough to have gone to a Beatles concert in the 60's? If you have, please share your experiences. Where and when was the concert, what was it like, were you excited, could you hear the music ok, what was the highlight/lowlight? etc. Solo concerts included, perhaps you went to a Wings concert in the 70's.

Myself, I was too young to even remember the 60's. But I was fortunate enough to have seen Paul on his Australian tour with Linda and their band in 1993. I went to two of the Sydney shows, and they were both fantastic and memorable in every way. Paul was vibrant and energetic, playing all the favourite Beatles, Wings, and more recent material, and really enjoying himself. His voice hadn't aged at all. He looked more like somebody in his 20's rather than 50's. I thought, at last, I'm witnessing in person, the source (or one of them) of this fab music. And it was good that he acknowledged the former Beatles, particularly John, in the songs that he was doing.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:34 PM   #2
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert

No. But today I met a genuine Hippy guy who saw my Beatles art.
He told me he saw them live in 65!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:52 PM   #3
bearkat77
Administrator

Cool

Does the Hollywood Bowl on August 29, 1965 count?

I could barely hear anything over the screaming and that was the night that Paul's microphone messed up.

On May 3, 1976, I saw the first concert of the Wings Over America Tour in Ft. Worth, TX. The screams weren't nearly as loud and I could understand what they were singing.

On April 22, 1993, I went to Houston, TX and saw Paul's New World Tour in the Astrodome. The woman next to me wondered how I knew the words to all the old songs. If she only knew.
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:33 AM   #4
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

The closest I have got to seeing The Beatles live was when Paul, Ringo and Dhani were on stage playing together at the Concert for George. I was just a few decades too late!! Although I have managed to see Paul solo as many times as possible heeheeheeeee!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:12 AM   #5
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

I saw Paul in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1993.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 02:53 AM   #6
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkat77 View Post
Does the Hollywood Bowl on August 29, 1965 count?

I could barely hear anything over the screaming and that was the night that Paul's microphone messed up.

On May 3, 1976, I saw the first concert of the Wings Over America Tour in Ft. Worth, TX. The screams weren't nearly as loud and I could understand what they were singing.

On April 22, 1993, I went to Houston, TX and saw Paul's New World Tour in the Astrodome. The woman next to me wondered how I knew the words to all the old songs. If she only knew.
Fab stories bearkat77. The Hollywood Bowl concert must have been some experience. Wasn't that the first Beatles concert released officially on vinyl and tape? Or it may have been the 1964 concert perhaps. Anyway, maybe it was more the lack of decent sound amplification in the 60's that prevented the crowds from hearing the singing, rather than the volume of the screaming. Interesting thought though.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:18 AM   #7
digdad
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Back View Post
Fab stories bearkat77. The Hollywood Bowl concert must have been some experience. Wasn't that the first Beatles concert released officially on vinyl and tape? Or it may have been the 1964 concert perhaps. Anyway, maybe it was more the lack of decent sound amplification in the 60's that prevented the crowds from hearing the singing, rather than the volume of the screaming. Interesting thought though.
Actually, the Hollywood Bowl album is pieced together from the 1964 and the 1965 concerts. Unfortunately because of the problem with Paul's mic on Aug. 29, 1965, that show was for the most part unusable. Rather, the 1965 songs were recorded the following night. Although minor edit bits were apparently taken from the show on the 29th, so maybe one or two of the screams you hear are from Kat.

Last edited by digdad : Jan 21, 2008 at 03:18 AM.
digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:49 AM   #8
Asha
Sun King

I have quite a few friends who managed to see them when they were still together. I was a bit too young. But at least I remember them being together! haha! I was still too young to go see Wings on my own. I'll never forget the day my mom said "You can't go because they smoke marijuana there!" & my reply was "Oh, then can I stay out of school? They smoke it there, too!" I nearly got my face slapped! haha!

I have seen Paul & Ringo perform, but even greater than that to me is meeting Beatles. So I urge any of you out there to go for it & find the last two!!! It's an experience you'll never forget.
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:02 AM   #9
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

^she's met beatles ... sigh.

i saw ringo july 4, 1984 in washington dc
i saw paul april, 1990 in tampa, fl
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha View Post
I'll never forget the day my mom said "You can't go because they smoke marijuana there!" & my reply was "Oh, then can I stay out of school? They smoke it there, too!" I nearly got my face slapped! haha!

This was my Mom's reasoning too. If I had thought to say what you said, my Mom would not have missed!

side note: why does the little guy here being spanked look like he's enjoying it? LOL!!

Last edited by Magill : Jan 21, 2008 at 09:10 AM.
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:20 AM   #11
taxman
Taxman

I went to Paul's concert in Lisbon, on May 28th 2004.
It was almost as good as a Beatles concert, since most part of the songs were from the Fab Four
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post

side note: why does the little guy here being spanked look like he's enjoying it? LOL!!

I don't wanna know!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:12 PM   #13
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

I managed to catch...

- Ringo, in Montréal (2001)
- Paul, in Toronto (2002)
- Ringo, in Rama (2003)

The coolest bit, in all of those, was when Paul suprised us by doing "Mull of Kintyre"... with a full scottish highland band marching onto the stage ! *

* He'd said that Toronto is one of the only places where he plays that song as there's a highlander band that he's familiar with there.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:23 PM   #14
Serena

well, i have been to a beatle's concert like many of us; i have seen paul twice during his past two visits in denver.

as great as it would be to see all four of them together, those concerts didn't look like they were worth going to.

you were lucky if you caught a glimpse of them or heard a note through the tumultuous roar of the audience. plus the shows were only 20-30 minutes long; if you had a bad seat, you might as well not go.

it would of been best to score tickets to a live appearance on a tv show.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:21 AM   #15
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
well, i have been to a beatle's concert like many of us; i have seen paul twice during his past two visits in denver.

as great as it would be to see all four of them together, those concerts didn't look like they were worth going to.

you were lucky if you caught a glimpse of them or heard a note through the tumultuous roar of the audience. plus the shows were only 20-30 minutes long; if you had a bad seat, you might as well not go.

it would of been best to score tickets to a live appearance on a tv show.
That's right Serena, the Beatles shows were only 20-25 mins, and apart from the first two notes from the opening song, which I think was I Saw Her Standing There in 1964, forget about hearing the rest. And of course, they probably didn't have the fireworks and dazzling lights of the major concerts of the 70's, 80's, and beyond.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:28 AM   #16
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
I managed to catch...

- Ringo, in Montréal (2001)
- Paul, in Toronto (2002)
- Ringo, in Rama (2003)

The coolest bit, in all of those, was when Paul suprised us by doing "Mull of Kintyre"... with a full scottish highland band marching onto the stage ! *

* He'd said that Toronto is one of the only places where he plays that song as there's a highlander band that he's familiar with there.
I saw Paul in two Sydney concerts in 1993, and in the 2nd one, he did Mull of Kintyre with the Scottish bagpipe band marching onto the stage in single file. Bagpipe music doesn't normally do anything for me, but on this occassion, it gave me giant goosebumps and just took my breath away. It was the highlight of the whole show.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:45 AM   #17
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

My sister's boyfriend's dad went to one of the Beatles' Australian concerts in 1964.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:49 AM   #18
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

I wish that I was old enough to have seen them in 1966 when stadium amplification started to become a bit more sophisticated. And they were doing some of my favourite tracks such as Help, Ticket To Ride, Yesterday, I'm Down, Nowhere Man, Day Tripper and We Can Work It Out amongst others.

It's only hypothetical now, but I also wished that they were stilll touring in the late 60's. With such live songs as Hey Jude, Revolution, Birthday, Back In The USSR, Get Back (of course, ha-ha-ha), and some of the stuff from Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, they could've easily, with their own sophistication, dominated the super stadium rock era of that period, which was then dominated by Cream, The Stones, The Who, and others. Food for thought.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 01:53 AM   #19
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post
My sister's boyfriend's dad went to one of the Beatles' Australian concerts in 1964.
What city was it Ivan?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:52 AM   #20
Ivan P
Nowhere Man

No idea, I'll have to look into it for you!