BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:11 AM   #1
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Default My review of In the Material World film

Although I saw clips on YT when it first came out in 2011, I finally viewed the George Harrison: Living in the Material World DVD. Despite reading so many negative reviews over the years causing me to be a little skeptical, surprisingly I really enjoyed it. Number one; there were so many rare pics and videos. For example; George and John’s Tahitian trip with their ladies, footage of Friar Park, rare concert scenes, family movies, etc. It was also cool to listen to Dhani, Klaus, Astrid, and nutty Phil Spector. In addition to seeing the notorious Alan Klein. When Olivia stated she was not the only woman that had to deal with George’s female fans and his roving eye, I wonder if she confided in Patti on how to deal with it, since she survived Beatlemania? It was also interesting to know Charles Dickens taught at Liverpool Institute. That was a surprise to learn George created the melodic riff on “And I Love Her”.

In addition, George punched a cop who got a bit too rough trying to protect him from the crowds, he had quite a temper! Speaking of the police, I wonder if any of the them on either side of the Atlantic are still dealing with hearing loss in their senior years? I hope their HQ gave them plugs back then. That was disturbing hearing Derek Taylor’s widow speaking so calmly about the Beatles giving she and hubby acid back in the day. I guess it was a 60’s thing. That was an interesting perspective when George stated that the” Beatles were under more stress than other musical performers at the time, yet they didn’t die from overdoses , commit suicide, or become mentally ill". I’m sensing he was alluding to Elvis, the two members of Badfinger, Jimmy Hendrix, and others. In a way, he is right.

It would have been cool if the interview with his brothers was longer, Harry really favors their mom. I also like the scenes of Liverpool during the war. To think the group’s moms gave birth during that hell! But war-time births have occurred since the dawn of time. Was that George as a baby being baptized? While speaking about George, Paul, and John performing at his wedding, Harry spoke like fighting at Liverpool weddings in the 50’s was a normal thing. If so, that’s kinda sad and disrespectful to the couple. That was rude of John to poor beer on the lady pianist’s head at the reception. I’m assuming “Teddy-Boys” were considered gang bangers back then? That was a sweet scene of George and Paul hugging while working on the Anthology project. In addition to the post card from Yoko and John expressing sympathy to George regarding his mom’s demise in 1970.

No offense to the late Beatle, but wouldn’t it have better to listen to his wife’s advice and stay in their locked bedroom when that psycho broke in and call the cops? Although I can understand his concern for his family.

I didn’t know Olivia‘s mom was staying with them. Furthermore, when Olivia mentioned the broken wing and sword from the St. Michael statue on the estate, it dawned on me what fans have stated on this board and other forums about George maintaining a connection to his family’s faith and being a devoted Hindu at the same time. That had to devastate George that someone from his hometown tried to kill him, not to mention get a slap on the wrist from the law.

Finally, the Indian/jazz/Latin fusion on “Dispute and Violence” was really cool. Who went OMG during the vintage clip of John stating, “Shut up, or I’ll Kill you” jokingly to the fans? Thank goodness they couldn’t hear him. LOL, that screaming would grate St. Peter’s nerves after a while. I have always liked the cute story of Paul and George as teens killing those spiders while staying at a Welsh hotel as teens. Then later finding out they were the inn keeper’s pets. I loved “Charlotte’s Web as a kid, but there’s no way I would consider that insect a pet. Although I have known people that do. I bet that lady had cute names for the mice and rats as well.

Last edited by peanut333 : Jan 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:32 PM   #2
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I don't have HBO, so I ordered it when it became available on Amazon. I loved it. I especially loved seeing the Harrison brothers being interviewed. Peter looks just like their father Harold Sr.!

I learned a lot from that film. John was funny and giving his fans a sounding off is the kind of off the wall funny thing he would do.

Olivia is the daughter of Mary Louise. George was the son of a lovely woman named Louise and the brother and grandson of lovely women named Louise.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2015, 05:16 PM   #3
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
I don't have HBO, so I ordered it when it became available on Amazon. I loved it. I especially loved seeing the Harrison brothers being interviewed. Peter looks just like their father Harold Sr.!

I learned a lot from that film. John was funny and giving his fans a sounding off is the kind of off the wall funny thing he would do.

Olivia is the daughter of Mary Louise. George was the son of a lovely woman named Louise and the brother and grandson of lovely women named Louise.
I got it from the library. I'll wait until Louise's book is available there too. I saw the book on Amazon, the cover is really nice. I had no idea his MIL's middle name was Louise.

Last edited by peanut333 : Jan 12, 2015 at 05:17 PM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote