BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Nov 29, 2003, 02:52 PM   #1
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Re: Beatlemania Britain

It's a brand new show, but most of the footage was taped in the summer of 2002. I wish I could see it because some friends of mine are in it, but alas, I don't have the Travel Channel. Somebody's supposed to tape it for me though. Let us know how it was after you watch it! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 12:25 AM   #2
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

Default Beatlemania Britain

Is this something new or has it aired before? I've never seen it before and it sounds kind of interesting.

Show: Beatlemania Britain
Network: (TRAV) The Travel Channel
Date: Sunday - November 30, 2003
Times: 08:00 pm - 09:00 pm ET; 11:00 pm -12:00 ET

About Beatlemania Britain
Take a magical mystery tour through the phenomenal story of Beatlemania, from Liverpool to London. Visit the sites that were formative in the lives and careers of John, Paul, George and Ringo, including venues where the legacy still thrives.
Norwegian_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 07:43 PM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

It's a great program, especially for those who've never been to England. The Casbah wasn't open when I was there, so I especially liked Pete showing us around. Same with Mendips. Certainly worth a blank VHS tape! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and don't forget to also watch Rock Temples on after Beatlemania Britain. It features the Cavern, Sun Records, CBGBs, and other great rock places in history.

[size="1"][ Nov 30, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message Edited By: onosideboards ][/size]
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2003, 10:01 PM   #4
georgiegurl
Fool On The Hill

I saw that show tonight and I really enjoyed it. I keep asking my boyfriend to see if he will take me there during the International Beatle Week. It seems like so much fun that anyone could enjoy themselves, be it Beatle or Non-Beatle fans ('course we all know that Beatles fans would have a better time.) [img]graemlins/afro1.gif[/img]
georgiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2003, 04:42 AM   #5
Rellevart

Can anybody give me more details? Did they show a lot of any of the bands? Did they do it in a respectful way or a "look at the freakshow" way? A bunch of people posted about it on my friend's band's website, but their reviews pretty much said "It rocked!" and "You were awesome"....so they didn't tell me much. [img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old Dec 01, 2003, 04:43 AM   #6
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Quote:
Originally Posted By georgiegurl:
I saw that show tonight and I really enjoyed it. I keep asking my boyfriend to see if he will take me there during the International Beatle Week. It seems like so much fun that anyone could enjoy themselves, be it Beatle or Non-Beatle fans ('course we all know that Beatles fans would have a better time.) [img]graemlins/afro1.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I saw it too and I was unimpressed. Well, not by the Beatles sites -- but who WRITES that stuff? If they said "we can let you in on a secret," or "The Travel Channel was granted exclusive access to..." one more time, I was gonna SCREAM! So now that poor woman who lives in Ringo's old house is gonna be besieged with fans because they "let us in on a little secret" about how she sometimes lets fans in...{shudder}

Frankly, the vast crowds at Beatle Week scared the bleep outta me -- if I go back to Liverpool (and I've been there twice), I'm going on some OTHER week when I can actually get IN to see Mendips or Paul's house or any other Beatles site, considering the crowds during Beatle week would probably make that next to impossible!

I am all for Beatles festivals, but geez!!! [img]graemlins/afraid1.gif[/img]
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2003, 05:07 AM   #7
Rellevart

Well, I went there during Beatleweek in 2001 and I went into it with pretty much the same attitude as you have, Susan, but I thought I'd try it out. I actually had a BLAST and am seriously considering going again next year. Yeah, there are crowds, but for a live music lover like me, it was so much fun to just pop around from club to restaurant to pub and hear bands everywhere you went (and not just Beatles bands, but all sorts of music).

But back to the show....one of my friends who is in one of the bands featured said that he thought maybe they couldn't get rights to the Beatles songs or something because there wasn't much actual music in the show - is this true? And were any of the bands featured very much? I get the feeling (although it's hard to tell from the ravings of their overzealous fans) that maybe they weren't in it as much as they thought they were going to be....
Old Dec 01, 2003, 05:16 AM   #8
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Well, I went there during Beatleweek in 2001 and I went into it with pretty much the same attitude as you have, Susan, but I thought I'd try it out. I actually had a BLAST and am seriously considering going again next year. Yeah, there are crowds, but for a live music lover like me, it was so much fun to just pop around from club to restaurant to pub and hear bands everywhere you went (and not just Beatles bands, but all sorts of music).

But back to the show....one of my friends who is in one of the bands featured said that he thought maybe they couldn't get rights to the Beatles songs or something because there wasn't much actual music in the show - is this true? And were any of the bands featured very much? I get the feeling (although it's hard to tell from the ravings of their overzealous fans) that maybe they weren't in it as much as they thought they were going to be....
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Good point about Beatleweek, Rell -- maybe we will have the opportunity to try it out sometime...though the first time we take Jamie to Liverpool, I think we'll try a quieter week! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I meant to say before...the attitude towards the fans and bands was pretty respectful, nothing really nasty or snide that I could tell. They featured two tribute bands, American English and British Export, and both of them were on for a little bit, particularly when they were discussing the Cavern. Also, at least one of the bands did an interstitial bit where they said "You are watching the Travel Channel!" in between shows.

I don't think they got the rights to actual Beatles songs -- there was no REAL Beatles music, though there were snatches of songs by the tribute bands. It is notoriously difficult to get rights for actual Beatles music for shows -- just ask my husband, who does that sorf of thing for A&E!!!!
Old Dec 01, 2003, 06:53 AM   #9
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I watched it! I also taped it! I thought it was really cool. It made me want to go so bad! (Not that I didnt want to go before!) I wanna see all those places and stuff. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] And I think going to the Beatleweek would be a load of fun! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2003, 07:20 AM   #10
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

For those of us who missed this, it is being re-run this Thursday, the 4th, at 8pm and 11pm eastern.

[img]graemlins/peace.gif[/img]
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2003, 07:01 PM   #11
Rellevart

Ok, I just watched a tape of this and I have to say that I thought it was just TERRIBLE. So cheaply put together, so cheesy, just awful. My friend's band came off ok, so it's not a sour grapes issue, but from the lame-o cheesy graphics to the TONS of time spend drooling over the Beatles Story museum (which my friends and I laughed the whole way through because it was so cheesy) to the fake vaguely Beatly-sounding music cuz they can't use the real music....ugh, it was just low budget all the way. Definitely not recommended.
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:31 AM   #12
onosideboards
Taxman

Nipper--what did you expect the narration to be like? This isn't college essays or literature or even a letter. It's pop culture cable TV, of course it's dumbed down. The "secrets" are there because it's the travel channel--these were their travel secrets. Lame, yes. Normal, yes.
Old Dec 02, 2003, 12:59 AM   #13
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
Nipper--what did you expect the narration to be like? This isn't college essays or literature or even a letter. It's pop culture cable TV, of course it's dumbed down. The "secrets" are there because it's the travel channel--these were their travel secrets. Lame, yes. Normal, yes.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I expect it to be dumbed down a little bit, ono -- after all, they do have to go for the lowest common denominator and sometimes that's pretty low -- but not to the point where it sounds like they are talking to especially stupid chimpanzees while waving bananas at them! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hubby and I have had this complaint about other shows produced by the same company for the Travel Channel -- they had one on the Grand Canyon that was narrated in exactly the same stupid, lame, pathetic manner and it was annoying enough that we were ready to NEVER visit the Grand Canyon based solely upon this idiocy!
Old Dec 04, 2003, 09:25 PM   #14
beatlz
Rocky Raccoon

i really enjoyed the show. found it very informative,too. good to see places i've been to and ones that i haven't. good to see A.E. and B.E. on there and louise harrison and sam leach.
the show was to have been broadcast again on thurs.,dec. 4 on travel channel. it was mentioned in the telly listings and on the tv guide channel. when i tuned in at 7pm and again at 10pm, they showed some programme on the world's best toliets. man, was i disgusted when i saw that! i felt so gypted by the travel channel!

if any of you are in anger as i was, and want to voice your opinion to the travel channel as to why they changed the schedule of the show w/o any prior notice and when and if they will re-broadcast BEATLEMANIA IN BRITIAN again, here is the link to do so:

http://extweb.discovery.com/viewerrelations

hope it helps. all the best, paulrus
beatlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2003, 04:37 AM   #15
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlz:
louise harrison and sam leach
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Possibly part of the reason I didn't like the program so well.

But that's weird about the rerun being cancelled by a toilet program!! I wonder what the deal is...I will have to research. (Can you tell I'm bored at work this week?)
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:39 AM   #16
Rellevart

Oh, and beatlz, the TC website says that:

Beatlmania Britain will be airing again on 2/5/2004 at 8pm EST/PST.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 06:24 AM   #17
HMVNipper
Sun King

Quote:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By beatlz:
louise harrison and sam leach
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Possibly part of the reason I didn't like the program so well.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Y'know, Rell, I think that may be one of the reasons I didn't like it much either...I dunno, to see Lou and Sam spouting off...the way they tell it, the Beatles, nay, the whole world, would have come to an end without them! Geez, I noticed Lou talking about stuff regarding the Beatles that she wasn't even there to witness because she'd moved to America by then!

All in all, I was singularly unimpressed.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 08:16 AM   #18
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Ok, I just watched a tape of this and I have to say that I thought it was just TERRIBLE. So cheaply put together, so cheesy, just awful. My friend's band came off ok, so it's not a sour grapes issue, but from the lame-o cheesy graphics to the TONS of time spend drooling over the Beatles Story museum (which my friends and I laughed the whole way through because it was so cheesy) to the fake vaguely Beatly-sounding music cuz they can't use the real music....ugh, it was just low budget all the way. Definitely not recommended.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I liked The Beatles Story. Went there twice during my long weekend in Liverpool. In fact, I thought it was very tastefully done for what it is. And I'm the biggest cynic on this board! I wish they would have spent more time on the later years though.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 09:08 AM   #19
beatlz
Rocky Raccoon

cheers to you, rell for looking into that. gives me some consolation that'll be on but have to wait 2 months for it. just have to be patient.
beatlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:58 AM   #20
beatlelover45223

Well I saw the show, I thought it was lot of fun, it was good to see some of the things live and close-up, having never been out of the states.So what if there was Travel Channel banter, it was the travel channel, that's what the Mute is for, or if taped the FF button, some of us will never be lucky enough to see what they showed. I say enjoy it, if you get the chance to see it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote