BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:01 PM   #1
62hofner

Default Solo Albums That Marked Your Beatles Fanhood

There are many of us here who were fans - or who became fans - during the 1960's... whether in the winter of 1964, before that, or after that....

However, I am willing to bet there are more of us here who came of age, muscially, well after 1970. If you are a post-Beatles Bealte fan, which solo releases - at the time of their release - heralded-in your official status as a Beatles fan?

For me, it pretty much all began in 1978. I had been aware of The Beatles and their solo members (Paul McCartney, mainly) well before that. But when "London Town" was released, and I heard "With A Little Luck" on the radio, I was hooked for good and I went out and bought that album with my own money - my first album purchase!

Next was George's "George Harrison" album a year later in 1979. My aunt had the 8-track and would play it in her truck when driving myself and my brothers and sister around. I remember "Blow Away", and thinking what a great song it was!

Between "London Town" and "George Harrison", I had acquired many Beatles albums, as well as several more McCartney solo records, which furthered my obsession with the band and their music.

But in short, for me.... "London Town" and the single "With A Little Luck", and "George Harrison" and the single "Blow Away" are my two main musical "new release" milestones in becoming a full-fledged Beatles fan.

What about you?

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 17, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Even though I was born after (just slightly) The Beatles broke up, Beatles albums and radio play had me hooked long before solo albums could have grabbed me as a youth or young adult. With my first paycheck or two, i bought a five disc CD player, The White Album, and not long after, Sgt. Pepper.

I do recall liking Harrison's Cloud Nine quite a bit, during the early MTV era, mostly because of Got My Mind Set On You and a certain girl in my Spanish class. If I have to pick a solo album (as a teen 95% of my play was Beatles CD's not solo stuff), then Cloud Nine it is.

I do recall my Mom playing Wings At The Speed Of Sound a lot.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:33 PM   #3
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
Even though I was born after (just slightly) The Beatles broke up, Beatles albums and radio play had me hooked long before solo albums could have grabbed me as a youth or young adult.
Yeah, I appreciate that many post-Beatle Beatle fans would have discovered the band before the solo members' music.... and that's cool.

My topic is directed at actual 1970+ new album releases that spurred people into Beatle Fandom... and since they were no longer together, there were no Beatles albums (aside from re-issues and special collections).

"Rarities" (U.S.) was one of those post-break-up Beatles albums that I bought in and around the time I was first getting into them.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 17, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 04:29 AM   #4
OzBeatleFan
Apple Scruff

For me it was Double Fantasy in 1980. John had just passed away and his last release was being played on the radio over and over again. I loved his music straight away, with Starting Over and Woman really grabbing my attention. I can't remember if I ever had the album or not?? I was only 8 at the time so I guess not. My parents used to only ever play country and western.

Then I discovered that this famous man used to be in a band called The Beatles and the radio stations were also playing Beatles tunes over and over again as well. I loved it from that moment on.

I think I was about 10 when one of my aunties finally had enough of me talking about The Beatles that she finally gave me a Beatles compilation album (Roll & Music Vol 2 I think????) for my birthday and my obsession was then complete.

It wasn't until I was 15 and the 20th anniversary of Sgt Pepper came out that Mum finally bought me the cassette (remember those??).

31 years later, (Just Like) Starting Over and Woman still rank (amongst the George solos) as my favourite songs! We had Woman played during my wedding a few years ago when my husband and I were signing the registry and then left the chapel.

"Rock on George for Ringo one time"
OzBeatleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
62hofner

OzBeatleFan,

Yeah, that's great!

I'd have listed "Double Fantasy", as well. But it was nearly three years after I had already become a Beatle Nut when John came out of "retirement". So, it didn't quite make the "cut" with regard to what this thread is all about.

Your story sounds the same as mine in many ways... just a few years later.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:11 AM   #6
UncaDan
Apple Scruff

For me it was George's 33&1/3. After seeing him on Saturday Night Live with Paul Simon.

While I was aware of the Beatles before that - having seen Yellow Submarine in the theaters when I was 5 and growing up in the 60s and 70s - I really did not start paying attention to music and buying my own records until around 1976 and this album was one of the first.

This album is still one of my favorite LPs of all time and gets regular listens. The songs are great, the sound textures are inviting and the production is clean and slick without being overdone and with just enough frays around the edges to keep things honest.

Sybil Records My Record Label
The Beatles-The What-If Edition My Beatles fantasy album project.
UncaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:18 AM   #7
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Yeah, I appreciate that many post-Beatle Beatle fans would have discovered the band before the solo members' music.... and that's cool.

My topic is directed at actual 1970+ new album releases that spurred people into Beatle Fandom... and since they were no longer together, there were no Beatles albums (aside from re-issues and special collections).

"Rarities" (U.S.) was one of those post-break-up Beatles albums that I bought in and around the time I was first getting into them.

I get it... but I'll be surprised if there are large numbers of people who did not know who The Beatles were (radio, family, television, print media)... later discovering a solo album and THEN going back to discover that there was once such a thing as The Beatles.

"I think I'm going to buy this Double Fantasy record and give this guy's music a try..."

Record Clerk - Rings up album and breaks it over your head. He'll provide a replacement however.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:39 AM   #8
Maia 66
Sun King

I was born in the '60s, so I can't remember a time I didn't know/love the Beatles, but the first albums I purchased on my own were all around 1973/1974 when I was in about the 5th grade.

John ~ Walls & Bridges
I'll never forget the Listen to This... promotional campaign. I collected a bunch of items, including a t-shirt that lasted me 'til the end of high school.

Paul ~ Band on the Run
Who was not obsessed with this album at the time?

George ~ Living in the Material World
Think I was a little young to "get" this album... I appreciated it much more when I was in college.

Ringo ~ Ringo
Loved, loved, LOVED this album and the fact that the other three were on it.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #9
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
I get it... but I'll be surprised if there are large numbers of people who did not know who The Beatles were (radio, family, television, print media)... later discovering a solo album and THEN going back to discover that there was once such a thing as The Beatles.

Ha ha! I'd nor be surprised at all...

Lots of kids in the 70's, like me, were hearing Beatles solo music before - if not simultaneously - as actual Beatles music. The 1970's (and to a lesser degree, the 1980's) were full of great new Beatles solo music being played by radio (and video) stations, and kids were getting their first glimpses of this music at that time.

The first "new" songs I recall hearing were "Jet" and "You're Sixteen" in 1973-4 when I was 6 or 7 years old. Those were my first two favorite songs prior to actually becoming more aware of music and becoming a music buyer.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I became aware of the Beatles at the same time I first expressed an interest in music. But didn't know the solo bodies of work. I remember liking Blow Away and being surprised to find that it was a former Beatle. And Silly Love Songs too. But it was definitely McCartney of whom I was the biggest fan of post Beatles. I stole my older sisters Wings Greatest Hits and didn't stop listening for a year. Particularly Mull of Kintyre.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:57 PM   #11
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
I stole my older sisters Wings Greatest Hits and didn't stop listening for a year. Particularly Mull of Kintyre.
I remember the day when I bought "London Town" at this little record store in my hometown. It was in April 1978, and was a drizzly wet day. There were two other McCartney albums in the "Paul McCartney" section: "Over America", and "At The Speed Of Sound". Funny how this stuff stays with you.

"Wings Greatest" came out later that year, and I got it for Christmas. So, for a brief moment in time, I owned just these two albums. I played them, and played them, and played them.....

Colonel.... what really threw me was how my dad — my dad! — loved "Mull of Kintyre" (because of the bagpipes), and also "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" (particularly the "phone call" bit). I didn't think parents were supposed to like their kids' music.

Last edited by 62hofner : Jan 22, 2012 at 08:58 PM.