BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Sep 27, 2005, 01:53 PM   #1
jklein87
Apple Scruff

Send a message via AIM to jklein87 Send a message via Yahoo to jklein87
Default Driving Rain vs. Chaos and Creation

I personally love them both. how about you all??

jklein87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 02:53 PM   #2
JimmyMcCullochFan
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via MSN to JimmyMcCullochFan

I like Chaos and Creation better.
"Wings IV introduced Jimmy McCulloch, a spunky lead guitarist with grit, able to spur Paul on unlike any previous soloist. His debut track, the magnificent single `Junior's Farm', stands as one of Wings' finest emotional and technical releases."
JimmyMcCullochFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 03:16 PM   #3
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Chaos and Creation is probably Paul's best album since Tug of War (or possibly Flowers in the Dirt).

Driving Rain is just a little bit better than McCartney II and Press to Play.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 03:37 PM   #4
wednesdaymorning
Wild Honey Pie

I think Chaos And Creation is better. I don't know why, but Driving Rain is not one of my favourites. Just...something about it. It's good, yes, and I listen to it, but this new one is better. Neither add up to McCartney, however. Or Ram...

wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 04:19 PM   #5
jklein87
Apple Scruff

I love them both and here's why. I think Chaos and Creation is better lyrically... very good musically. But, I am a drummer and i like to listen to songs with some drumming. And driving rain has that. Abe is one of the best drummers ever IMHO. Plus i like some uptempo songs which driving rain has plenty of. But yes, overall, i do think Chaos is a BIT better.

Old Sep 27, 2005, 05:32 PM   #6
taxman
Taxman

Driving Rain is not as bad as many people say. It's main problem, IMO, is that it has 3 or 4 dispensable songs, like Spinning On An Axis or Rinse The Raindrops. Other than that it's pretty enjoyable.
Chaos don't have this problem, it's very even, all songs are good, some very good.
The all album is very melodic and "relaxing" wich it's different than "boring".
I would give 7/10 to DR and 8/10 to Chaos.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:22 AM   #7
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman
Driving Rain is not as bad as many people say. It's main problem, IMO, is that it has 3 or 4 dispensable songs, like Spinning On An Axis or Rinse The Raindrops. Other than that it's pretty enjoyable.
Chaos don't have this problem, it's very even, all songs are good, some very good.
The all album is very melodic and "relaxing" wich it's different than "boring".
I would give 7/10 to DR and 8/10 to Chaos.
Well said. I agree.
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:33 AM   #8
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5
Well said. I agree.
Even though I was never quite so crazy about it ever since it came out, I'd have to say that I prefer ''Driving rain'', to ''Chaos and creation...''.

I played it recently, to compare those two albums. And, unlike ''C & C'', ''DR'' has songs that reach out and grab me to an extent (catchy songs), where as none of those on ''C & C'' do.

The only one that sort of ''do it'' for me on Paul's latest album is ''A fine line'' but each time I play it, I heard ''Flaming Pie''.

Other than that, some of the other songs on that CD do have some nice bits but before the end of them, I'm no longer ''hooked''.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 01:45 AM   #9
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO
Even though I was never quite so crazy about it ever since it came out, I'd have to say that I prefer ''Driving rain'', to ''Chaos and creation...''.

I played it recently, to compare those two albums. And, unlike ''C & C'', ''DR'' has songs that reach out and grab me to an extent (catchy songs), where as none of those on ''C & C'' do.

The only one that sort of ''do it'' for me on Paul's latest album is ''A fine line'' but each time I play it, I heard ''Flaming Pie''.

Other than that, some of the other songs on that CD do have some nice bits but before the end of them, I'm no longer ''hooked''.
I actually find many of the songs on C&C to be quite catchy. Especially Too Much Rain and Friends to Go. I feel that they are some of the catchiest songs Macca had done in decades.
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:18 AM   #10
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5
I actually find many of the songs on C&C to be quite catchy. Especially Too Much Rain and Friends to Go. I feel that they are some of the catchiest songs Macca had done in decades.
To each his own...

But when I say ''catchy'', yes I meant ''catchy'' (i.e. ''hooks you'') but also in the sense that a song will make you want to play it a couple of times in a row, or rewind and play a particular part of it over again a few times.

Mind you, neither of those two albums in my top ten favorite Paul albums, but I'm saying that I hate them either... just that they don't quite ''do it'' for me.

Like I started to mention earlier, on ''C & C'', there are songs like ''Friends to go'' which tweaks my interest but it doesn't hold until the end of the song.

There are a few bits or elements of those songs that I find quite good, but no song per say that I really-really like.

Another song that I might have liked is ''Jenny Wren'', but like ''A fine line'', it reminds me too much of ''Blackbird''... which is not a bad thing per say but in such cases, I tend to prefer the ''original'' song... but the string arrangement on it is very lovely though.

I very much like the fact that ''Too much rain'' was inspired to Paul by Charlie Chaplin's ''Smile''.

Oddly enough, my two favorite songs from these sessions never made it on the album, ''Comfort of love'' and ''She is so beautiful'' !
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 06:15 PM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

C&C for me.

However, I really do like Driving Rain.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 09:19 PM   #12
rwbarnes
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to rwbarnes Send a message via MSN to rwbarnes Send a message via Yahoo to rwbarnes

I have to go with Chaos and Creation. There are some haunting melodies on this one...This never happened before....This is the way it should be for lovers...They shouldn't go it alone....
Old Sep 28, 2005, 03:40 AM   #13
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I like C&C better but I'm not sure I ever gave DR a chance. I listened to it a couple times, went "Eh..." and played "Band on the Run" or something and never returned to it. I've heard over and over how C&C is an album that grows on you with repeated listening, so I've been doing that and it's true! I quite like all but two tracks and maybe they'll grow on me later. Maybe I need to go back and give DR a re-listen and see if it'll do the same. Also, I think the lyrics on C&C are MUCH stronger, they're some of his better lyrics and DR had some of his worst.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 08:32 AM   #14
bobdude
Dr. Robert

It has taken me a while to get used to the fact that there just isn't any up-tempo songs on 'Chaos'. I seem to be waiting for just one rocker to balance out all the slower tempoed songs. Unfortunately it never happens. Thats not meant to be a criticism. Just a fact. Driving Rain starts off with that driving bass leading off Lonely Road and that in my opinion is what is missing from Chaos. This point was really brought home to me as I recently had a relisten to Back To The Egg(something that I hadn't heard all the way through since the days of vinyl) now that is a vastly underrated album in my opinion!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 01:05 PM   #15
ShellyP
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
I like C&C better but I'm not sure I ever gave DR a chance. I listened to it a couple times, went "Eh..." and played "Band on the Run" or something and never returned to it. I've heard over and over how C&C is an album that grows on you with repeated listening, so I've been doing that and it's true! I quite like all but two tracks and maybe they'll grow on me later. Maybe I need to go back and give DR a re-listen and see if it'll do the same. Also, I think the lyrics on C&C are MUCH stronger, they're some of his better lyrics and DR had some of his worst.
Since I had to listen to C&C several times to let it grow on me, which it did, I took out DR again to see if it would work like that. I think when I got DR, I listened to it twice and never played it again. I have played it all week and have decided it's pretty good. Listening to it a few more times has changed my mind. I think I like C&C just a little better, but they are about even.
ShellyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2005, 07:49 AM   #16
darkhorse
Sun King

Cool

I actually admire Paul very much as a solo artist and performer, but did think that Driving Rain was a huge misstep in his carrer.

When I bought the album my attention was caught in four or five tracks that I considered "good"; and there was always "Heather" which is the song that saves the album from being a complete disaster. But then, after repeated listens, the things that I wasn't hearing in the first place started to raise up...

First of all there was an undeniable negligence in writing a big part of the lyrics in the album. Come to think about the stupid story he tries to tell on "She's Giving Up Talking", the weakness of the overall thoughts disposed on that torture that "Back In The Sunshine Again" is, or the pointless repetitions of "Spinning On An Axis", or the unbearable silliness of "Your Way" (which has a great melody and is one of my favorites on the CD); to name but four: I won't go on analyzing lyrical crimes such as the lyrics for "Freedom" (OK we got the message, now stop singing that!) or "Riding Into Jaipur" ("riding with my baby/oh what a delight"? And someone says these types of lyrics were part of a tribute song to George Harrison, who just would never even dream of searching so much forced rhymes in his spiritual-inspired songs), but you get the point.

Second, the melodies aren't strong at all. When he tries to develop a mature love ballad he ends up delivering "Your Loving Flame" which has always had an 'unfinished' air to these ears... "Lonely Road", while being one of the 'good' songs in here, also suffers from inadequate arrangements in the melody; and I won't mention again the "Axis"/"Sunshine" songs again because they do suffer from the same...

Third and biggest problem of all, the production. This album, trust me, will be REMEMBERED to have been released in 2001, and that is not a good thing, because at that time the world was dominated by those annoying synthesiser machines, electronic drums, samplers from electronic "music", and all... and you get all of that in this record.

"Heather", "About You", "Your Way" to a lesser extent, "From A Lover To A Friend" despite the electronically overdubbed piano licks, are songs that I would care about listening again, but the rest of it, not really.

I don't think I'll like Chaos And Creation better than my favorite McCartney albums ever... But at least it holds my attention, I find more work in the lyrics, stronger melodies, and the production serving as a bridge between the artist and the public. It's also more honest, and at the same time a little more experimental without falling onto the edges of bad taste. And at least has six or seven songs that I personally consider to be 'great'.

So Chaos it is.

I'd have to think about Chaos vs. Off The Ground, because I'm one of the few people who like most songs on Off The Ground...
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:28 PM   #17
Maxine
Dr. Robert

I prefer Chaos And Creation In The Backyard. There are songs I like on Driving Rain as well, but none of the songs on DR "grabbed" me immediately, I had to listen to the album many times before I really could say I liked it. C&C on the other hand convinced me the first time I heard it. And I actually do like every song on it. I think C&C is masterpiece, something that I can´t say DR is. Just my personal opinion, of course.
Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2005, 06:21 PM   #18
VivianC
Nowhere Man

I like Chaos and Creation better. Personally I think this is a very interesting album. One of the songs that captured my attention at the moment I heard the song was This Never Happened Before, I bought the CD today, and I know the lyrics of that song already without seeing the booklet.

Love it!

Love it!
VivianC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 06:57 AM   #19
IWantToTellYou
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to IWantToTellYou

For me there is no contest. C&C is much, much, much better than Driving Rain. 150% better.

I have made it clear over the years that I loathe Driving Rain. To me that whole album lacked creativity - it lacked good solid music, it lacked great lyrics! I do however like some tracks, maybe one, or two that I can think of, off the top of my head.

The first time I heard Driving Rain I wanted to throw it out of my car window. I wondered what Macca was thinking? "One, two, three, four, five, let's go for a drive." What the hell is that?!? Paul is a lyrical genius. That was just crap. I felt that the whole album was rushed and that he wasn't really into making it at all. I have always thought that the album would grow on me - but the only thing growing on it is dust, because I never, ever listen to it.

Kudos to Paul for making a wonderful album that I enjoy just as much as Flaming Pie, or Off The Ground for example. I cannot wait to see the new songs played live! C&C is a great album, and I would recommend it to anyone (even if they aren't huge Paul McCartney fans). I am glad to see that the magic is back.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 08:41 AM   #20
jklein87
Apple Scruff

I personnally think Driving Rain is much better than Off the Ground!!