BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Frightwolf
Dr. Robert

Default Electric Arguments is one of Paul McCartney's best albums

I love this album. I was three years late to buying it, but I must say that this album is one of his best solo albums easily. I successfully got one of my friends to buy it as he was also impressed by it. Our favorite song was/is Dance Til We're High, a song with a phenomenal mood, set first by the drums, then by the catchy guitar work and then the soaring chorus. And the actual bells playing during the "Bells will ring out" line... beautiful.

I'd rate highly the first eight songs: it's so easy to listen to them back to back. Once it gets looser at the end, I'm not as big a fan, though I do really dig Universal Here/Everlasting Now. Sing the Changes is of course a great catchy song with a cosmic kind of atmosphere. Nothing Too Much is a roaring song and is a great, scathing attack at Heather Mills. The Sun Is Shining, to me, is a superior version of Good Day Sunshine. I love when his voice goes high near the end of the chorus and how each chorus ends with a very warm and relaxing "Na na na na na naaa, na naaa." Highway is a great rocker, Light from Your Lighthouse has a very cool mix of very low and very high singing from Paul, Two Magpies is just a fun little ditty, and Traveling Light has a very cool sound sound to it, especially after the vibrant Sing the Changes.

I consider Band on the Run and Chaos and Creation in the Backyard two of McCartney's best albums, and I'd rank Electric Arguments high up there with them. I would probably rank it a little lower because I feel the first two were totally consistent while Electric Arguments kind of loses its charm, for me, near the end, but it's a pretty great album nonetheless. Other albums I also rank pretty highly from Paul are Ram, Venus and Mars and Tug of War if that gives a good feel for my tastes.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:21 AM   #2
hibgal
Sun King

Good to hear you finally got the album. It's one of my favorite albums, period. It's been a bit since I listened to it but I had to dig it out after reading your review.

Funny you don't much like the ending as Silent Running is definitely one of my favorite tracks. I like the rather unstructured feel of it. However, I consider the song pretty much ends at the 6 minute mark and what's after the 2 minute silence more realistically a hidden track.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Thanks for your review! I keep meaning lately to get that album out and "live with it" a little bit more and reading this has definitely made me want to do that even more. I only listened to it a few times when it first came out and several songs struck me as very good and I played them a number of times, but I never took the time to listen to the whole thing as thoroughly as I should have
Old Nov 21, 2011, 07:47 AM   #4
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

The above reviewers said it so well! This is a wonderful collection and no doubt you will be delighted you have it.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote