BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Feb 10, 2009, 02:08 PM   #1
waltisfrozen
Fool On The Hill

Lightbulb If you were re-releasing The Beatles catalog...

I often hear people complain about the sorry state of The Beatles catalog, but assuming that everything has been remixed/remastered and is ready to release, how would you go about doing it? I would think that just releasing everything at once would flood the market and wouldn't give them the biggest bang for their buck in terms of marketing. How would you go about the challenge of repackaging The Beatles albums and singles?

What I would do is try to capitalize on The Beatles' diverse catalog by releasing everything in a phased approach chronologically (for the most part). I'd sell it with a tag line like "Relive Beatlemania - one week at a time" or something like that. I'd also repackage their catalog into two types of releases : releases of non-album singles & EP's with an album's-worth of outtakes and deluxe re-releases of albums with mono/stereo mixes. That way the integrity of the flow of the albums isn't interrupted with singles and outtakes that weren't meant to be there. For the singles, I'd re-use almost all of the tracks from the Anthology series and add additional stuff here and there as noted.

So, here's how I'd imagine the releases coming, starting the first week in Jan. of next year and continuing one per week until mid-July or so :
Love Me Do - single w/ complete Decca Audition and earlier outtakes (Ain't She Sweet, Star Club, etc.)

Please Please Me - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

From Me To You - single w/ studio outtakes & BBC sessions

She Loves You - single w/ live cuts & more BBC sessions

With The Beatles - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

I Want To Hold Your Hand - single w/ Ed Sullivan show and other live appearances

A Hard Day's Night - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

Long Tall Sally EP - w/ studio outtakes (One After 909, Leave My Kitten Alone...)

Beatles For Sale - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

I Feel Fine - single w/ complete Hollywood Bowl concert

Help! - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out - single w/ add'l B-sides & live cuts

Rubber Soul - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

Paperback Writer - single w/ songs cut from Help

Revolver - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields Forever - single w/ Revolver and single outtakes

Sgt. Pepper - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

All You Need Is Love - single w/ Sgt. Pepper outtakes

Magical Mystery Tour - double EP w/ studio outtakes

Hello Goodbye - single w/ studio outtakes

Lady Madonna - single w/ complete escher demos

The White Album - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

Hey Jude - single w/ White Album outtakes

Get Back - single w/ Glyn Johns & LIBN Mixes

Let It Be - album w/ Let It Be movie on DVD/Blu-Ray

Ballad of John & Yoko - single w/ add'l B-sides, add'l Get Back Sessions

Abbey Road - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

Let It Be - single w/ Abbey Road outtakes
This breaks up The Beatles catalog into 28 different titles which gives them plenty of room for all the outtakes superfans are begging for (and plenty of new revenue for Apple Corps). In staggering the releases out a week apart, it not only highlights every part of The Beatles career, but builds up suspense for what each additional release might hold. Bonuses which would normally deserve their own release like the Decca Audition, the White Album Demos, the LIB movie, and the complete Hollywood Bowl concert would go a long way towards making the singles releases hold their own against the album releases while providing room for the outtakes that originally appeared on the Anthology CDs and any additional stuff that might be sitting in the vaults.

Following these releases, late in the year (in time for Christmas), I'd release pared-down versions of the remastered albums along with a new "Past Masters"-type set to collect the non-album singles. This would comprise the "core" collection, which would stay in print indefinitely and satisfy more casual fans.

Also, if Apple is planning something even slightly like this, I wish they'd announce it soon so I can start saving some money.
waltisfrozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 01:06 AM   #2
twovirgins
Sun King

I would restore and release the Let it be film uncensored
Old Feb 12, 2009, 01:51 AM   #3
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

That idea of yours is good: to release historic singles as albums with outtakes and live performances. Although they would end up as weak albums which would disappoint many beginner fans. I would too forever delete the UK MMT album, and leave that for Capitol boxes exclusively.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:37 AM   #4
vekku
Little Child

Basically a good idea. I would still also like to have all the alternate mixes around, like those on the Yesterday And Today album. Has anyone got an idea why that and the U.S. Revolver were not included in the Capitol Boxes?

The sooner the better. And please don't forget to add The Carnival of Light!

EDIT: Where's Bad Boy on your list?

Last edited by vekku : Feb 12, 2009 at 03:39 AM.
vekku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:14 AM   #5
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vekku View Post

I'm standing here right next to you.

Cap boxes haven't gone beyond vol.2.

- Biggles
Old Feb 12, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
vekku
Little Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLittleKid View Post
Cap boxes haven't gone beyond vol.2.
But where's the point as the U.S. post-Revolver albums seem to be very identical to the British ones and MMT album has anyway already been released worldwide? Why make a box with just two cd's?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:59 AM   #7
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

No, the box of four is good, in spite of their little different offering. The Capitol set cannot compete anyhow with the remastering project so their best solution is to produce the albums as they were historically.

- Biggles
Old Feb 12, 2009, 02:02 PM   #8
waltisfrozen
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Chronologically, it would best fit on the Day Tripper disc as one of the B-sides.

One thing I did forget when making this list was the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack. I'd add those tracks to the Hello Goodbye single along with the musical scores of The Beatles movies, not just side B of the YS album, but the instrumental tracks that were originally issued on the American versions of A Hard Day's Night and Help!.

As far as this is concerned :
Quote:
Although they would end up as weak albums which would disappoint many beginner fans.
That's why I'd have end this campaign with re-releases of the Past Masters discs (perhaps with slightly different track listings and/or packaging). That way they can please the fans and the beginners too.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:11 PM   #9
The Duke
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltisfrozen View Post
Paperback Writer - single w/ songs cut from Help

Revolver - remastered album w/ mono & stereo mixes

if Apple is planning something even slightly like this, I wish they'd announce it soon so I can start saving some money.

Which songs cut from Help are you referring to?
I think Paperback Writer/Rain would fit very nicely on Revolver, being recorded at the same time.
I don't think Apple are planning anything REMOTELY like this, if past releases are anything to go by.
The MOST and BEST we can expect will be the remastered albums in mono/stereo and a new collection of singles As and Bs. But even that is unlikely.
And Let it Be on DVD? Yes, love it. Also Shea Stadium DVD with option between dubbed or original soundtrack and She's a Woman and Everybody's Trying to be My Baby re-instated (but I fear the film of these songs may no longer exist.)

Last edited by The Duke : Feb 12, 2009 at 03:12 PM.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:49 PM   #10
vekku
Little Child

Quote:
No, the box of four is good, in spite of their little different offering. The Capitol set cannot compete anyhow with the remastering project so their best solution is to produce the albums as they were historically.
Sorry I don't get it. I just meant that The Capitol boxes so far have been desirable for the reason that the records included are different from the "standard" albums. The Capitol LP releases after Revolver are not that different.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 04:48 PM   #11
waltisfrozen
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Which songs cut from Help are you referring to?
Songs that were recorded around that time, but not released until the Anthology like If You've Got Troubles, That Means A Lot, 12-Bar Original, & Leave My Kitten Alone.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:25 AM   #12
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Sorry I don't get it. I just meant that The Capitol boxes so far have been desirable for the reason that the records included are different from the "standard" albums. The Capitol LP releases after Revolver are not that different.
They are that different if they miss three tracks. And maybe "For No One" has a different vocal channel too, but I'm not sure.

- Biggles
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:47 AM   #13
vekku
Little Child

Quote:
They are that different if they miss three tracks. And maybe "For No One" has a different vocal channel too, but I'm not sure.
I was talking 'bout the records AFTER Revolver, you see.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:38 AM   #14
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
I was talking 'bout the records AFTER Revolver, you see.
The better. You get now finally the US "A Day In the Life" where the last chord lasts forever. And the mock stereo versions of the three MMT songs, but they're not so a big deal.

- Biggles
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:05 PM   #15
BeatleFanForever
Little Child

How's it going everyone? I realize that this topic appeared a while back but due to the positive and negative reviews of THE BEATLES REMASTERS, I felt that I should comment as to what I would do if I could re-release the entire BEATLES catalog. If I was in charge at EMI/Capitol Records of re-releasing the entire BEATLES catalog, first, I would be the first in hiring and bringing together Dr. Ebbetts with Sir George Martin. Next, I would bring these two BEATLES' experts with me and go to Chicago, Illinois where Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) is and have the experts produce and remix the greatest Remasters ever and release them in the MFSL ORIGINAL MASTER RECORDING Ultradisc II/Gain 2 technology system on limited-edition 24 KT Gold audiophile CD's. Doing this, we will have the GREATEST BEATLES sound quality ever and we will FINALLY hear THE BEATLES as they were TRULY intended to be heard. Take care.
BeatleFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote