BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:23 PM   #341
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
yes!! which is why so many (like Dhani) chose to go the Indie route and self produce, etc... and so much of modern music is manufactured, if you know what I mean (of course, not Dhani's, but some others) ... where the top writers sit together and churn out song after song with no real rooted emotions.

LOL about Lady Gaga!!! I wonder what George would think! hahahaha I mean, many have given her props for her musical ability and all that... and she played with Uncle Elton and got approval from the Lennon camp. I wonder what sideways remark George would spin her way, even if affectionately!

yes which is why Dhani has also choosen to work with Wutang Clan etc..

at least they keep it real

Gaga is interesting..i dont really know waht to think of her..i mean on the one hand i think shes really cool, for all this manufactured 'cookie cut' stuff nowdays at least she trying to be a bit different and unique..and i like how shes very pro gay an an inspiration for a lot of Gay/ BI/transegnder kids..

Its good she has Yoko/Sean/Elton's approval and also Amanda Palmer (Dresden Dolls) who i really like is a big fan of hers..anyone heard of her?!

But on the other hand she is kinda just a rehash of Grace Jones etc as Grace has kind of angrilly said lol..so shes not really that different when you think about it..and shes kinda so over materialistic its not funny..

I think George would maybe just roll his eyes.."oh another one" lol

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Jan 02, 2011 at 10:25 PM.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:48 PM   #342
Hari's Chick

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
I think George would maybe just roll his eyes.."oh another one" lol
LOL!!!
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:45 PM   #343
FPSHOT
Sun King

Well it interesting to see that from the 17.150 members here 2 people have some interest in this Kayne West.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:55 AM   #344
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

thats such crap and you know it..others have commented on liking him here too..and just because peopledont comment on one thread it doesnt mean they dont like him..

besides this is a beatles forum..go check out how many records this "West" sold last year..would be in the top 5 sellers of 2010 Worldwide i have no doubt..

- David Byrne
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:05 AM   #345
FPSHOT
Sun King

Caro Emerald is nominated in Mojo magazine in the UK as one of the best 6 albums of 2010 and who did not appear in that list? Kayne West..nor Coldplay

But you know, if a few people here at Links like that person for his music fine be happy with it.

Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:44 AM   #346
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Coldplay didnt release an album in 2010, and Kanye only did in November so i doubt he'd even be eligible..

Anyway, here is a really interesting article. I am not holidng my breath but maybe you will 'get' ssomething from it..

http://theurbanian.com/2010/10/25/th...ylan-parallel/

Kanye West & Bob Dylan Parallel

I can already hear the Dylanologists jumping on my case based on the the title alone. Bob Dylan is my all-time favorite musician. Not only was he a fantastic songwriter, but his music was groundbreaking, he was an important figure historically – especially in the civil rights movement – and he was a solider of culture.

Solider of culture is something we heard Kanye West self-diagnose himself as after the premiere of his short film, Runaway, over the weekend. While Runaway was sure mesmerizing, bizarre, and visually appealing, I didn’t quite think it was as epic as some people are trying to make it out to be. Personally, the music was by far the best thing about the whole thing – serving as perfect promotion for his forthcoming LP, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

One thing I always felt my generation lacked was a game-changing musician. Someone who was more than just a musician – a Dylan-like artist.

To do something like the Runaway film was gutsy in my opinion. It further put West out there – for good or bad. The generic mold for any musician these days is to stick to the music. No films, no candidness, just the music. When I first heard about West’s foray into film, I immediately thought of Dylan’s nonsensical book, Tarantula, and his love for painting.

The biggest difference between the two is the outspokenness about their work. Dylan’s whole shtick was to primarily mess with his audience. So many wanted to interpret Dylan’s work but he would never chime in himself of what it all means. Dylan himself was separate from his work. West, on the other hand, is very open about what he did during Runaway. After the film, he did a Q & A with MTV’s Sway, where he openly discussed what everything in the film meant. This Q & A for me was more entertaining than the film itself, as we got a chance to see further into the mind of Kanye, and see how big of a diva he really is.

During his discussion with Sway we saw West openly declare himself to be everything Dylan said he wasn’t. That’s the biggest problem with West – he tries too hard.

In the past few years West has faced much criticism, not only from people whom don’t like him, but his own fans. People don’t like West because he’s an ass, egotistical, he can’t sing and steals other people’s songs. What humors me about all of this, is that while West is hated for these things, Dylan is revered.

In 2005, during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, West went off script to declare George Bush doesn’t care about black people. In 2009, an intoxicated West at the MTV VMAs made his way to the stage to declare that Beyonce had one of the greatest videos of all time during Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech. Both are instances where West was speaking what was on his mind, only he was during so on the wrong platform. Very similarly, an intoxicated Dylan in 1963 told the National Emergency Civil Liberties Committee they were old and balding and saw something in every man in John F. Kennedy’s alleged assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, while accepting the Tom Paine award.

My favorite scene in West’s film was during All of the Lights. In this sequence we see a little boy running fast while carrying a torch of red smoke. We then see a slow-moving clan of people wearing red hoods which bear resemblance to the KKK’s white hoods, being led by the same boy – now wearing the hood, and walking very slowly. I saw it as the confinement of cults and religions – the suppressing of ideas. In the Q & A, West himself pretty much confirmed this.

This whole scene can be reflected upon both West and Dylan. Dylan’s own fans turned on him when he abandoned the folk and protest songs and turned electric. Some of West’s fans have also grown with disappointment as he further removes himself from the hip hop roots we see in his first album, College Dropout. Neither ever succumbed to the confinement of their own fans.

For me, Dylan will forever be the all-time greatest. He transcended music and time. He was a figure that I wish for my generation to have. The reason I’m a West fan is because he follows similar patterns to Dylan – Outspoken, different, unconfined, controversial and experimental. In today’s music, West is one of few to not follow the generic and formulaic music process, and I applaud him for it.

- David Byrne
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:59 AM   #347
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Anyway, here is a really interesting article. I am not holidng my breath but maybe you will 'get' ssomething from it..
O I sure got ssomething from it.... confirmation and fun

Quote:
I can already hear the Dylanologists jumping on my case based on the the title alone. Bob Dylan is my all-time favorite musician. Not only was he a fantastic songwriter, but his music was groundbreaking, he was an important figure historically Ė especially in the civil rights movement Ė and he was a solider of culture.
What's with all these "was". As far as I know Dylan is still alive and is all these things in stead of was

Quote:
No films, no candidness, just the music. When I first heard about Westís foray into film, I immediately thought of Dylanís nonsensical book, Tarantula, and his love for painting.
This makes me think about what George said

Dylan is so brilliant. To me, he makes William Shakespeare look like Billy Joel. ...

Quote:

In the past few years West has faced much criticism, not only from people whom donít like him, but his own fans. People donít like West because heís an ass, egotistical, he canít sing and steals other peopleís songs. What humors me about all of this, is that while West is hated for these things, Dylan is revered
I love this part.

Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:22 AM   #348
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
Well it interesting to see that from the 17.150 members here 2 people have some interest in this Kayne West.
Or maybe they just know it's futile to debate with somebody who refuses to listen to any differing opinions, or yes, even FACTS, because they're too busy belittling and mocking everybody else.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:28 AM   #349
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
Or maybe they just know it's futile to debate with somebody who refuses to listen to any differing opinions, or yes, even FACTS, because they're too busy belittling and mocking everybody else.
That may very well be the case.

In my case I listen to all the opinions about this so called genius and read some facts and am just having some fun without any harm ever meant.

Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:44 AM   #350
Hari's Chick

Quote:
There's certainly more than 17 members on Links... and who is the .15 of a member?
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:53 AM   #351
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Coldplay didnt release an album in 2010, and Kanye only did in November so i doubt he'd even be eligible..

http://theurbanian.com/2010/10/25/th...ylan-parallel/

Kanye West & Bob Dylan Parallel

I can already hear the Dylanologists jumping on my case based on the the title alone. Bob Dylan is my all-time favorite musician. Not only was he a fantastic songwriter, but his music was groundbreaking, he was an important figure historically Ė especially in the civil rights movement Ė and he was a solider of culture.

Solider of culture is something we heard Kanye West self-diagnose himself as after the premiere of his short film, Runaway, over the weekend. While Runaway was sure mesmerizing, bizarre, and visually appealing, I didnít quite think it was as epic as some people are trying to make it out to be. Personally, the music was by far the best thing about the whole thing Ė serving as perfect promotion for his forthcoming LP, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

One thing I always felt my generation lacked was a game-changing musician. Someone who was more than just a musician Ė a Dylan-like artist.

To do something like the Runaway film was gutsy in my opinion. It further put West out there Ė for good or bad. The generic mold for any musician these days is to stick to the music. No films, no candidness, just the music. When I first heard about Westís foray into film, I immediately thought of Dylanís nonsensical book, Tarantula, and his love for painting.

The biggest difference between the two is the outspokenness about their work. Dylanís whole shtick was to primarily mess with his audience. So many wanted to interpret Dylanís work but he would never chime in himself of what it all means. Dylan himself was separate from his work. West, on the other hand, is very open about what he did during Runaway. After the film, he did a Q & A with MTVís Sway, where he openly discussed what everything in the film meant. This Q & A for me was more entertaining than the film itself, as we got a chance to see further into the mind of Kanye, and see how big of a diva he really is.

During his discussion with Sway we saw West openly declare himself to be everything Dylan said he wasnít. Thatís the biggest problem with West Ė he tries too hard.

In the past few years West has faced much criticism, not only from people whom donít like him, but his own fans. People donít like West because heís an ass, egotistical, he canít sing and steals other peopleís songs. What humors me about all of this, is that while West is hated for these things, Dylan is revered.

In 2005, during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, West went off script to declare George Bush doesnít care about black people. In 2009, an intoxicated West at the MTV VMAs made his way to the stage to declare that Beyonce had one of the greatest videos of all time during Taylor Swiftís acceptance speech. Both are instances where West was speaking what was on his mind, only he was during so on the wrong platform. Very similarly, an intoxicated Dylan in 1963 told the National Emergency Civil Liberties Committee they were old and balding and saw something in every man in John F. Kennedyís alleged assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, while accepting the Tom Paine award.

My favorite scene in Westís film was during All of the Lights. In this sequence we see a little boy running fast while carrying a torch of red smoke. We then see a slow-moving clan of people wearing red hoods which bear resemblance to the KKKís white hoods, being led by the same boy Ė now wearing the hood, and walking very slowly. I saw it as the confinement of cults and religions Ė the suppressing of ideas. In the Q & A, West himself pretty much confirmed this.

This whole scene can be reflected upon both West and Dylan. Dylanís own fans turned on him when he abandoned the folk and protest songs and turned electric. Some of Westís fans have also grown with disappointment as he further removes himself from the hip hop roots we see in his first album, College Dropout. Neither ever succumbed to the confinement of their own fans.

For me, Dylan will forever be the all-time greatest. He transcended music and time. He was a figure that I wish for my generation to have. The reason Iím a West fan is because he follows similar patterns to Dylan Ė Outspoken, different, unconfined, controversial and experimental. In todayís music, West is one of few to not follow the generic and formulaic music process, and I applaud him for it.
This is great!! That's a big appeal for me, the sheer irreverence!! Bob cracks me up... I remember the whole going electric thing and how funny he thought the reaction was. And Bob's unapologetic... "I answer to myself and God"... And Kanye said the same types of things spiritually, too. Interesting article!!

hahaha... remember the interview we watched together with Bob.... "could you be the voice of a generation again, could you write an anthem for the new generation?" Bob: "no."
Old Jan 03, 2011, 04:53 PM   #352
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Jan 03, 2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:21 PM   #353
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
There's certainly more than 17 members on Links... and who is the .15 of a member?
17.150 these days means 17 thousand and 150 at least here in Holland

Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:35 AM   #354
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Quote:
yes!! which is why so many (like Dhani) chose to go the Indie route and self produce, etc... and so much of modern music is manufactured, if you know what I mean (of course, not Dhani's, but some others) ... where the top writers sit together and churn out song after song with no real rooted emotions.
i will have to accept this superunknown klondikeroo mush at face value. but yer completely right about the manufactured part, lot of broken dreams in that one, no doubt about it. peace out.
Quote:
LOL about Lady Gaga!!! I wonder what George would think! hahahaha I mean, many have given her props for her musical ability and all that... and she played with Uncle Elton and got approval from the Lennon camp. I wonder what sideways remark george would spin her way, even if affectionately!
same here, some of that shite blows my mind. i also wonder but in all fairness this seems like so much fantastic speculation, rather fallow and obtuse. the lennon camp, i think that you mean that wannabe sean ono who seems to be a wee bit self-righteous these days.

Last edited by PepperlandFrog : Jan 05, 2011 at 02:38 PM.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:40 AM   #355
PepperlandFrog
Banned

Quote:
there you go. some call it bling bling, i call it uncreative and tunnelvision moral turpitude.
Quote:
Well then I am lucky to be in the creative Holland because we have many new artists and bands, young people, who create awesome music with all kind of new influences and therefore these words from West do not impress me for one second
gonna' say, he takes some things the wrong way, his words are profoundly rooted in ignorance and apathy, the "media whore" game.

Last edited by PepperlandFrog : Jan 05, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
PepperlandFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:52 AM   #356
AeolianCadence
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
You say that now, but wait until Josh Groban's "The Best Tweets of Kanye West" hits iTunes.
AeolianCadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:15 PM   #357
FPSHOT
Sun King

Whatever that is...I will

Old Jan 06, 2011, 09:25 PM   #358
Serena

Typical that one's intelligence is often measured by the level of another's accordance. If opinions are like assholes, everyone should be charged for indecent exposure.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 06:54 PM   #359
Hari's Chick

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianCadence View Post
You say that now, but wait until Josh Groban's "The Best Tweets of Kanye West" hits iTunes.
I saw this because Kanye tweeted about it! Brilliant!!
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:22 PM   #360
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Typical that one's intelligence is often measured by the level of another's accordance. If opinions are like assholes, everyone should be charged for indecent exposure.
Love that Clint Eastwood quote about opinions!

Another great one from Dirty Harry is "a man's gotta know his limitations" something tells me that applies to a few people in here!

Wheres Clint when we need him?!

- David Byrne