BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Aug 12, 2003, 11:56 PM   #1
beatlz
Rocky Raccoon

Default RINGO CONCERT IN CHICAGO

hey all, the ringo show was awesome! for those of you who went, where did you sit? how did you like the show? thoughts/impressions on the show.

i sat in section 111 to the left of stage in the middle section. i loved the show. if any of you who were there, saw a guy waving a red scarf that said LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB, that was me. i also waved an illinois license plate that said BEATLZ on it. and when yellow submarine, was being performed, i was waving around my plush yellow submarine i bought when i was in liverpool. and i was wearing a white beatles baseball jersey that said FAB 4 on the back. i was hoping to meet some fellow linkers there for 1st time.
it was touching to see the tribute they did for george harrison, everyone, but ringo who went offstage either for a breather or just out of respect for george, from the all-starr band sung an acoustic version of HERE COMES THE SUN. maybe ringo, woulda been too sad to perform on it. i was hoping he woulda came and play drums to it. but he did't. and right b4 this happened, shelia e. just got done singing, and she spotted this 8 year old girl who i guess got lost from her parents. and shelia, called on the girl to join them on stage as they sung HERE COMES THE SUN. after it was over, ringo came up to her and hugged her and said something to her.
ringo showed off his piano playing by playing the beginning of DON'T PASS ME BY. shelia e. was awesome on her drum solos! it was kinda ironic that there was a john and paul with him in this band. that is john waite and paul carrack. it was funny, when ringo was introducing the band, he was getting around to introducing paul carrack, who was offstage, and ringo went to where paul was performing on the left side of the stage. and ringo walked there, and said,"PRETEND I'M PAUL." and when he said that and where he was standing, made me think he was referring to macca, cos that is where macca woulda stood on stage when the beatles performed on stage.
then after the show, i thought i would take a chance to see if ringo would come out as he left the concert.other people were already waiting there. we had been told, that he hopped into a waiting van immediately after the concert ended and took him to his hotel. but overall, i enjoyed the show. i also enjoyed listening to colin haye perform his men at work songs, paul carrack with some squeeze/mike and the mechanics songs, and shelia e. with glamourous life most noteworty. it was a visit down memory lane from the 60s,70s, and 80s.
beatlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 05:18 AM   #2
DoubleD62
Little Child

Default Re: RINGO CONCERT IN CHICAGO

I was also at the concert and was very surprised that 1) there was no encore (I've never been to a concert at this level without one) and 2) he didn't perform "Never Without You", which is clearly on the set list for shows in other cities and which he's noted in the press as being a tune he will perform. It seemed very odd that the stage crew struck the set so quickly after the show and one of the ushers even hustled my friends and I out as we stood chatting for a few minutes. We suspected the show may have been shortened due to some local/union/house rules regarding the timing or schedule.
DoubleD62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 05:23 AM   #3
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Quote:
he didn't perform "Never Without You",
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">that would be very disappointing to me.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 05:47 AM   #4
Lynner

I was at the show with Rell'. It was a great time! Thanks to a friend of ours, who had extra tickets, we were in the 5th row - left of the stage. Very nice seats. I too was disappointed that he did not perform "Never without you". Found out that Ringo doesn't care to do encores anymore, but don't know the reason behind that.

Aside from Ringo (who seemed to be having a ball!), the highpoint was Sheila E. She really has fun and is sooo energenic. The low point was John Waite. His choice of material was laid back, for the most part and did not go over well with the crowd. It wasn't that he was bad, just well, kinda boring, I guess.

Saw Susan (Nipper) and her husband, as well as a few other pals of mine (not from Links) but didn't manage to meet up with any other Linkers. Guess I'll see you guys on Saturday - see the topic in Come Together for meeting info!

Overall, I really enjoyed the concert. Ringo is great. I want to dance with him! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 06:59 AM   #5
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By Lynner:
Overall, I really enjoyed the concert. Ringo is great. I want to dance with him! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">As I said last night, you're TOO TALL for him!!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I agree with almost everything that Lynner said - Ringo seemed much more casual, relaxed and mellow than in previous shows - a LOT of interaction with the audience. I had to laugh when at one point he said "I love you ALL!" and then pointed at one dude near the front and said "Yes, even YOU, sir." Hahahaha! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'm pretty sure he saw Lynner and I at least once, maybe more....we were dancing a lot, so maybe that caught his eye.

I've seen other incarnations of the All-Starrs I've liked a LOT better though. John Waite? SNORE. And what was with that dress/tunic thing he was wearing? Paul Carrack was 1 for 3 (I like "Tempted" a lot, but his other two were pretty dull) and Colin Hay was kind of fun, but there's a limit to how many Men At Work songs I can take. Sheila E was the surprise for me....I didn't expect to enjoy her, but she's SO enthusiastic and such a good drummer that you can't help but be impressed.

But in the end, I always enjoy watching Ringo....he's the only person I'll actually PAY to hear sing "Yellow Submarine". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 07:52 AM   #6
SF4-EVER

I was there with Kristi and Tina. We were way in the back, a bit right of center. Tina and I moaned a bit that we didn't win better seats during a radio giveaway (we were both just a couple of callers off), but the view was still pretty good. Anything had to be better than the first time I saw Ringo at the Milwaukee Summerfest in 2000; then I was way in the back of the crowd and could only glimpse Ringo by getting up on a concrete block. I was lucky I didn't break my neck.

Anyway, we enjoyed the show, though we were also disappointed that Ringo didn't sing, "Never Without You." Also, did anyone else notice he used some of the same quips mentioned in reviews of previous shows? He must be taking touring lessons from Paul. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The mix of songs by the All-Starrs was pretty good, and the songs didn't feel as dragged out as they were on the 2000 tour. As Lynner and Rell said, Sheila E. was smashing.

After one of the All-Starr songs (I think it was "Tempted,") I happened to be standing up while the people immediately in front of me were still seated. I waved wildly, and when Ringo said, "Yeah, I see you back there," I'm positive he meant me. That's probably the most recognition I'll ever get from a Beatle. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We hung around a bit after the concert, hoping to meet some B-linkers, but to no avail. We did meet someone we'd met last year at the Fest, though. And my throat's still a bit sore from singing -- we really should have gone out for ice cream afterwards! At least plain hot tea has no calories....

[size="1"][ Aug 13, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message Edited By: SF4-EVER ][/size]
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 09:42 AM   #7
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

I was at the concert with Sandra and Tina. I thought it was great! Although, I was somewhat disappointed that Ringo didn't sing "Never Without You." But still, I enjoyed the concert very much and thought it was cute when the lost eight-year-old was brough up on stage. 'Here Comes the Sun' was nice. I'm thinking the reason why Ringo wasn't there during that song was because for personal, emotional reasons. We weren't too long into the concert before they did that one, so I don't think it was just for a break. I felt this concert was better than the one I saw in 1997 (with Peter Frampton, Procol Harum etc), where the songs had dragged on too much. This concert wasn't like that. And yes, I was expecting an encore, but as I've read in another post, Ringo doesn't do that anymore. I still had fun! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It ranks as one of the best concerts I've ever been to.
We did see someone from Beatlefest last year, (I'm surprised they remembered us because it's been a year since we've seen them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). Anyway, I'm looking forward to Saturday and seeing all of you! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
-Kristi
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 02:57 PM   #8
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By SF4-EVER:
Anything had to be better than the first time I saw Ringo at the Milwaukee Summerfest in 2000

We hung around a bit after the concert, hoping to meet some B-linkers, but to no avail.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Regarding the first point, I hear ya', sister! That was a nightmare. We actually got there about 9 hours before the show and took turns holding seats in the 2nd row. Then right before the show all these drunk people and stoners just shoved right in front of us and made it a miserable experience. Oh, and a guy accidentally threw a slice of hot pizza in my face. I swear I had a contact high after that show. UGH.

Regarding the second point, so did we!! Bummer that we didn't run into you! We should have made a plan! Oh well, see you tomorrow instead! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old Aug 13, 2003, 07:38 PM   #9
Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted By Rellevart:
Bummer that we didn't run into you! We should have made a plan! Oh well, see you tomorrow instead! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Oh, are you planning on going to 'fest on Thursday???? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:07 AM   #10
Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted By Lynner:
Oh, are you planning on going to 'fest on Thursday???? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">You know what word I'm thinking now, don't you? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Aug 15, 2003, 04:07 PM   #11
beatlelover45223

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] *thanks all for sharing your Ringo concert experience, good that so many of you got to go, and give us your impressions, too bad Ringo makes his concerts kind of anti-climactic by not doing the encore, I love them, encores that is.. thanks Beatlz, you did a great job of describing the event, you made me feel like I was there [img]graemlins/balloon.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 08:26 PM   #12
jtal909
Sun King

the ringo show I saw last tour was similar in that Sheila E was the standout next to ringo of course.
ringo seemed to think the idea of an encore as frivolous as he said at the end to the audience,"This is the part where we run off the stage and you people clap and we come back so why don't we just stand here while you clap and we'll play some more songs".
Then while the crowd clapped, Ringo smiled broadly and danced around. It was actually quite charming and funny.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote