BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:01 AM   #1
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Default There is something romantic about liverpool

At least thats how I feel. I have an image in my head as to what Liverpool must be like and it fascinates me. Its a dreary working class city, with black skies, rain and soot. Its actually not at all like Penny Lane with its blue suburban skies. Its the rowhouses with no front yards, the seedy back alleys, those massive 19th century red brick factories, the cast-iron shore, faded black stone victorian schoolhouses, railways overgrown with weeds, the bad smells and the grime. Its so tangible for me. I am almost there.
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:16 AM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Re: There is something romantic about liverpool

There definitely IS something romantic about Liverpool, but at least the parts I've been in aren't even remotely smelly, sooty, seedy or grimy. I'm sure that as in any big city, there ARE areas like that, but the overall feel of the city isn't bleak and depressing at all.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:31 AM   #3
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

[ QUOTE ]
Rellevart Posted:
There definitely IS something romantic about Liverpool, but at least the parts I've been in aren't even remotely smelly, sooty, seedy or grimy. I'm sure that as in any big city, there ARE areas like that, but the overall feel of the city isn't bleak and depressing at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for destroying my dream! Well yes I am sure all cities have areas like that but what I am refering to is that broken down 19th century industrial charm. Its hard to put into words so I will try to find some pictures. In Montreal where I live we do have areas like this. Old Irish working class areas that were built up in the 19th century. I spend a lot of time wandering around these areas and they have a certain charm that is not easy to describe. Its as if you are entering a different world.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:05 PM   #4
Rellevart

Yeah, I know, I almost didn't say anything, but the funny thing is that I pictured Livepool like that too because every book you read makes such a big deal about it being old and run-down and bleak. I was rather surprised at how pleasant it was the first time I went there because I was kind of expecting a huge Eeyore-like cloud over the whole place and having it be sunny and warm was kind of disconcerting!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:42 PM   #5
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Same here...I thought Liverpool was very nice! Certainly it has its bad parts and gloomy parts like any large city, but it is hardly the bleak industrial place it once was. And other than the Dingle, where Ringo's childhood house is and which is still a pretty rough area, none of the Beatles grew up in a "grimy industrial area" either.

I think part of the image Beatles fans who have not been there get of Liverpool comes from the books that describe it that way. But when you finally get there, it is surprising how nice it really is.

John used to say that New York City reminded him of Liverpool on a larger scale. Having been to Liverpool twice, I can tell you that I can definitely see what he meant -- there are a lot of similarities. Certainly the people are quite similar -- I found that I could relate really well to the people in Liverpool because they reminded me of people I've lived among my whole life in New York City.

Liverpool has undergone some civic restoration in recent years -- the industrial and shipping buildings on the Pier Head by the river have been refurbed and cleaned, and it is nowhewre near as polluted as I am sure it was when the Beatles were growing up there. A lot of that has to do with new laws about such, I'm sure.

Anyway...I don't think anyone was trying to crush your romantic images, Matt -- certainly we all have them. But today's Liverpool, while still containing a lot of that romance, is really not like that. However, it will always have the Beatles mystique, and that makes it a very heady place in the imaginations of fans.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 03:09 PM   #6
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

This is what I'm getting at. Although this pic is from Boston I've been to places that are very similar in Montreal and Europe. I JUST LOVE THESE TYPES OF PLACES

Old Jul 27, 2004, 04:28 PM   #7
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Ringo's neighborhood in the Dingle looks rather like that -- perhaps a bit more run down, though.

And I agree, I like neighborhoods like that too -- Greenwich Village in NYC, parts of Philadephia...and Montreal, too...
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 03:36 PM   #8
donnamariemoreno27
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to donnamariemoreno27

Well this is my 5th time going to Liverpool and I still LOVE it And like Susan said-it has gone thru alot of restoration since the city was giving alot of $$$ to re-do the city. But Matt I'm with you, I dig that old 19th century feel to it and there is still quite a bit of places that still look like that. Now the food-well now that's a diffrent story altogether

Donna~

P.S.-less than a month to go-Liverpool here I come baby
donnamariemoreno27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 05:21 PM   #9
Rellevart

[ QUOTE ]
donnamariemoreno27 Posted:
Now the food-well now that's a diffrent story altogether

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha. Yeah, I know. I've found a few places for good food, but mostly I stick to basics like pizza and fish and chips!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 08:23 PM   #10
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

I've always had an image of Liverpool being a 19th-century city as well, and I've always loved that idea! When I think of Liverpool I think of the Industrial Revolution, with old-fashioned buildings and grimy streets, I agree it sounds positively romantic. Even if it's changed a lot, and isn't the slum-y city I think it is, until I see it for myself I'll always have that image in my mind.
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 07:02 AM   #11
LittleDarlin909
Paperback Writer

i can't wait to go. . . someday. . . i'll take donna's advice and bring my own food
LittleDarlin909 is offline   Reply With Quote