BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jan 14, 2007, 02:25 AM   #21
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCouncill View Post
The thought of John Lennon as a born again Christian kills a part of me.
And why is that? I'm not a born again Christian but I think that is actually quite a rude thing to say. It would kill a part of you to think that he perhaps discovered something else in life that brought him comfort, peace and joy? To be a born again Christian doesn't automatically make you in to one of those people out on the streets throwing abuse in the face of those that aren't as hard core as them. Nor does it necesarily mean that you become some sort of nerd or that you lose something of yourself.

I have heard this urban legend that John found God. I dunno enough about it to comment on whether or not I believe it.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:24 AM   #22
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

I'd be quite surprised if he had...

For one thing, circa 1979/1980, didn't John make some deregatory comment about Bob Dylan having become a born again christian ?

... and besides, would Yoko have EVER allowed John to do so ?

Would she let him ''worship'' anyone else... but her ? *

* No, seriously !

Last edited by ABCKO : Jan 15, 2007 at 12:43 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 08:16 AM   #23
Dr Winston
Day Tripper

Unhappy

Oh No Yoko!
Old Jan 15, 2007, 02:13 PM   #24
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie

I think I've ready every book, interview, and scoured every scrap of the Dakota Years. I was planning on going to the Dakota in 1981 to try and meet John. There is no evidence in the REAL WORLD and it would be contrary to who John was. He respected Jesus, just listen to "Heartplay," but he saw him as just another advocate of love and peace. We are all Christ, John says.
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2007, 11:54 AM   #25
Beatle Girl
Paperback Writer

I don't think so, I really doubt it.

Everything is clearer when you are in love - John Lennon
Beatle Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:15 AM   #26
Lennonfan56
Fool On The Hill

If I remember right he said something in the Playboy interviews about finally understanding some of the parables that Jesus said. It appears he was studying it somewhat so he could of been.
Lennonfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 05:57 PM   #27
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

If he had become a born-again Christian, would anyone stop listening to Lennon or the Beatles? Why would this kill a part of you, or make you sad? Were you sad when George went "Indian" in his beliefs?

Not all Christians, born-again or otherwise, shout it out from the rooftops or seek to convert everyone all the time as someone stated in an earlier post. Christians are just like people anywhere, no two are alike. True, there is a defining link between Christians, but how Christians choose to show how they embrace that link (Jesus, Son of God, Savior) is where differences among denominations/protestants/catholics occur.

Just because John never talked about it, doesn't prove a thing (either for or against his being Christian).The John Lennon who emerged after disappearing for 5 years to raise a son was far different from the John Lennon of the 60s or early 70s Lost Weekend Lennon. He was still a growing, changing individual, so anything is possible.

So, it could be possible that Lennon found religion again since he wouldn't have been a stranger to it (think, Aunt Mimi). But to say either way is pure conjecture. Maybe, only Yoko could answer this, and she ain't talkin'.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 07:05 AM   #28
Nathan Schmathan
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCouncill View Post
I certainly do. Being open-minded, actually, I'd figure him agnostic. Anyways, this is all doubtful.
I always thought of him as an agnostic as well.

Not adverse to the positives, but skeptical because of the negatives.

But, hell, what do I know.

Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:29 AM   #29
misslennon_909
Nowhere Man

Send a message via Skype™ to misslennon_909

I'm a little worried at the anti-Christian sentiment I perceive on this page, but I may be too sensitive. I just want to put my two cents in and I am not trying to offend anyone.

I am Christian and I don't flaunt my beliefs in other peoples' faces or get upset when they don't agree with every single tiny detail. (After all, that is not Christ-like in the least.) There are a lot of interpretations of The Bible and who's to say which one is exactly right? I think it's important for one to seek out their own beliefs, and more respectable than just following the crowd.

Also I am a huge Beatles fan, so to suggest that their music is incompatible with Christians hurts me because that implies I'm a lesser fan.

If John ever became a born-again Christian, it was something he kept very close to himself, because I don't think he gave enough evidence publicly for us to assume he did. But I think he said some wise things about Christ, even though he said some insulting ones as well.

For instance, the "we all are Christ" thing isn't entirely incompatible with Christian beliefs. If you look at it, Christians believe in the Trinity, which is the belief that God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are one. Christians also believe that the Holy Spirit resides within us. So technically, we are all Christ because He resides in us. "Our bodies are the temple," says Paul. I'm not saying that's what John meant, I'm just offering it as a theory of reconciliation.

Also, I don't think he was trying to say The Beatles were bigger than Jesus in the sense of greatness or godlike power, but in a sense of popularity and influence in America. It was a social comment and could have been a social criticism. As a Christian, I am not angry with John for observing that.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:30 AM   #30
misslennon_909
Nowhere Man

Send a message via Skype™ to misslennon_909

EDIT: In the above message, I may not have made this clear. When I referred to Paul, I meant the writer in the Bible. Not Macca. Hee hee.