BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jun 04, 2006, 07:46 AM   #1
Loka
Nowhere Man

Default Loka met Astrid and Cyn!

Yesterday the great exhibition

was opened. Everybody came, Astrid Kirchherr, Cynthia Lennon and all the other Germans who met the boys during their Hamburg Days. And I was right there, taking pics and asking questions! Yes, I spoke to Astrid Kirchherr!

These are Cyn, Astrid and a guy named Julian Dawson who did the interviews, unfortunately you donīt know him, but heīs a great singer. Heīs very tall and very British.

This is Astrid telling me how to sit on the

original 1960iesī truck John sat on! And now check this out:

I was allowed to hold the Rickenbacker guitar and take Johnīs position in the picture!!! Can you see me?! And Astrid herself took the picture and signed it!!! The other folks are members from "Strawberry Fields", the best German Beatles Forum.

Next to this smashing experience we got to know that it was originally Cyn who helped John writing "One after 909" (Astridīs favourite song, by the way). They sat together in a Liverpudlian Cafe and drank Liverpudlian coffee when she remembered that she had to take the last bus home (īcause staying over night was unthinkable those days) so she helped him finishing it quickly.
She also said that when she heard "Too late for Goodbye" by Julian Lennon, she first thought it must be John, and then realised that it was her own son who sounded almost exactly like him. This made her cry.
Astrid thinks that Stu (or did she speak about George?) is still with her to "make sure that I get money for what I do" (haha, Astrid, that picture she took was 50$ ). When the audience was allowed to ask questions I raised my hand and asked if sheīd ever regretted that the boys became so famous. She said: "No, Iīve always been proud when I saw them on stage. When I see Paul perform today heīs still my little Paulie." Awww, cute!

Iīm right back at my Stu&Astrid period, I love them so much. Sheīs still as cool as those days and still has this artistic air around her. She signed my postcard right next to Stu:

Tomorrow Iīm gonna see Klaus Voorman and ask him to sign my "Anthology" booklets!

Does anyone know Mark Lewisohn by the way? Because he was there too, if anyoneīs interested I can tell what he said about the making of Anthology, the Beatlesī recordings and live appearances.
Old Jun 04, 2006, 08:00 AM   #2
Marmalade Skies
Sun King

Very cool, Loka!

Looks like Astrid still has her old hairstyle.
Marmalade Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Magill
Sun King

Thumbs up

I'm very green with envy, Loka! I love the pictures, too. A very nice memory for you to have of the experience. And, you have an Astrid original. She took your picture. Very NICE!
Old Jun 04, 2006, 08:04 AM   #4
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Wow!! that is fantastic! What an experience.
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2006, 07:01 AM   #5
pepperland67
Dr. Robert

This is awesome! I'm very jealous of you! Did you get to meet Klaus? I had the privilege of meeting him last year.

"Sometimes the things that you liked the best and that have meant the most to you are the things that meant nothing at all to you when you first heard or saw them." - Bob Dylan

Last edited by pepperland67 : Jun 06, 2006 at 07:01 AM.
pepperland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2006, 07:50 AM   #6
Asha
Sun King

Congrats Loka!

I met Astrid years ago... & met Cyn last March. Both are lovely ladies! I'm glad you had the experience as well!!!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Great photo, Loka!
Old Jun 06, 2006, 03:47 PM   #8
wednesdaymorning
Wild Honey Pie

Wow! Lucky you!!! That sounds like it must have been very fun for you and that picture...wow. You have it hanging on your wall? I would have it somewhere very special. That must have been amazing.

wednesdaymorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2006, 04:15 AM   #9
Loka
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
Great photo, Loka!
God knows what would have happened if I hadnīt liked myself in this particular photo... The only pic Astrid Kirchherr is ever going to make of me, and I love it!!!
Old Jun 07, 2006, 04:19 AM   #10
Loka
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperland67
This is awesome! I'm very jealous of you! Did you get to meet Klaus? I had the privilege of meeting him last year.
Unfortunately Iīve been in bed with a flu and fever and all that for the last four days...so I couldnīt go to that museum again to meet Klaus!
I watched "Backbeat", it gives me some insight in Astridīs and his relationship, itīs very interesting.
Old Jun 07, 2006, 05:44 AM   #11
Lynner

NIce story. Glad you got the chance to meet them. I've met them both as well, but many years ago. Both are very nice women.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 07, 2006, 06:21 AM   #12
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

That is wonderful, Loka! I met Astrid a few years ago at a Beatlefest here in NY and have met Klaus several times, but have never met Cynthia. I'm so excited for you -- and the fact that Astrid herself took your photo!! That is beyond cool -- I'm so happy that you had this wonderful experience!
"And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in all the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual." - John Steinbeck

"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow." - Anais Nin
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 08, 2006, 04:08 AM   #13
Loka
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMVNipper
That is wonderful, Loka! I met Astrid a few years ago at a Beatlefest here in NY and have met Klaus several times, but have never met Cynthia. I'm so excited for you -- and the fact that Astrid herself took your photo!! That is beyond cool -- I'm so happy that you had this wonderful experience!
At least you on the BeatleLinks share my joy! At home no one seems interested, stupid Germans.
I so hope I made a good impression on Astrid and that she remembers me next time, that would be sooo cool! She is such a lovely Lady, so silent and dignified, and her relationship with Stu had everything I always dreamt of.
Am I the only one who thinks that John was jealous of Stu those days and wanted such an inspiring woman for himself and ended up with Yoko...???!!! Am I really the only one who draws that connection?
I always thought he had a crush on her, not only after watching "Backbeat"...
Old Jun 08, 2006, 05:33 AM   #14
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

That sounds like the greatest experience, Loka! I love your pictures, they all look awesome. Wow, to be able to meet Cyn and Astrid, what I wouldn't give to have been in your shoes...! Sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Old Jun 08, 2006, 06:33 AM   #15
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

You must had fun there. It will be someting you will remember for the rest of your life.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:10 AM   #16
tommymoorenomore
Fool On The Hill

Default WOW!!!!!!!

Hi Loka:

What an adventure. Loka I've been a huge Beatles fan since I was 12 which was way back in 1979. I've always been more into their early days as a band and have always been very interested in their formative years 1957-1962. In recent years many great sources of their early days has surfaced: anthology, web sites, bootleg tapes of the quarrymen and, even, Pete Best released a DVD which is quite entralling and involves Astrid and Klaus. I often imagine how great it must have been for Astrid and Klaus to have seen them at that time, in the KaiserKeller. Wow.

Loka feel free to check out my homepage. I'm an arm chair musician, but I have tried to do some of those same tunes the lads would have played in those Hamburg days.

Terry.
tommymoorenomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 02:05 AM   #17
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka

Does anyone know Mark Lewisohn by the way? Because he was there too, if anyoneīs interested I can tell what he said about the making of Anthology, the Beatlesī recordings and live appearances.
I know it's been awhile since you first posted your experience (and what an experience! Love your pix!), but I'd like to hear what Mark Lewisohn had to say. I met him at the Fest for Beatles Fans in NY in '05. He's my fave resource for Beatles facts.
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:10 AM   #18
Loka
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant karla
I know it's been awhile since you first posted your experience (and what an experience! Love your pix!), but I'd like to hear what Mark Lewisohn had to say. I met him at the Fest for Beatles Fans in NY in '05. He's my fave resource for Beatles facts.

Uhm, just noticed that itīs all in German, the report...you donīt happen to speak German...?!

Otherwise Iīll post a translation of the main interesting points in a few days time, ok? Maybe someone has even filmed or recorded it...? Iīll ask in my German Beatles Forum and send it to you.
It was very interesting, I must say.

Old Jun 23, 2006, 09:17 AM   #19
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

Wow! My response was in German??? How'd I do that???? (Jerry? Are you there?)
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 02:30 AM   #20
Loka
Nowhere Man

Noooo, you dummy , I am German and our report about the interview on our German Beatles Site is in German, so you probably canīt read it.
But since the original interview was in English, I hope someone recorded it or I just translate it for you!