BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old May 08, 2006, 09:43 AM   #1
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

Default And Your Bird Can Sing

Wow, what a great song, And Your Bird Can Sing, I love the way it jumps out at you at the start with that whirling dervish guitar rhythm, like being on a merry-go-round. And the vocals and harmonies are so strong, so suspended in the air going over our heads and then coming back down to permeate our hearts to give us joy for several minutes. It has an uplifting quality, but there also seems to be an underlying cynical ring to it that is typical John and his working class lyrics. This is a damn good song all the way around, I wish young song writers would take a clue from this tune and bless the world with something original, lasting and, and...
Old May 08, 2006, 10:10 AM   #2
beatles fan
Sun King

I love that song, my fav part has to be when they go higher with their voices on the line 'you tell me that you've heard evry sound there is" i always love it in their songs when there voices go high!!!!
(infact i think i remember reading somewhere that john didn't like the song and put it down a few years later? maybe).

"Hi i'm John Lennon and I play the guitar and sometimes I play the fool"- Live at the BBC

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/r6213_c.jpg
beatles fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2006, 11:14 AM   #3
jonah1971
Fool On The Hill

I have always loved this song but was joy was heightened when I heard it may have been written about Mick Jagger. The bird in the song being Marrianne Faithful. Too funny if it's true and the lyrics seem to suggest that. "Tell me that you've got everything you want...."
jonah1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2006, 01:06 PM   #4
62hofner

"And Your Bird Can Sing" has always been one of my favorite songs...

I read (or heard?) somewhere that Paul actualy played the guitar on that. I don't want to believe that one. I like to think that Georgey got to take the credit for that. Paul played a killer bassline in the song, so give George his rightful place as guitarist, d*mmit!

It's a strangely arranged song. It just blasts off right into those dual guitar leads... verse 1... guitar lick... verse 2.... cool descending part... guitar solo.... 2nd cool descending part... verse 3 which sports those awesome hamonies that someone else mentioned above... and then it takes you out with the return of the opening guitar lead/solo.... and then fades with those faint bass "bu-dum-bu-dum-bu-dum-bu-dum"s and the stray open 2nd string guitar note.

I like the droning rhythm guitar on the song, too. Sounds like Jonh used the same tremelo effect on his guitar that he did on "Paperback Writer".
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2006, 07:51 PM   #5
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

Like so many of their songs, And YOur Bird Can Sing hooks you in within the first few seconds and refuses to let go. 2 minutes of pop perfection.
make a country dream come true

Last edited by matt5 : May 08, 2006 at 07:51 PM.
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2006, 06:17 AM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Great song, very intricate what with the guitar, the bass, the vocals...love it! I also like the "giggle version" on Anthology, not just for the goofy factor, but also because I love that jangly sound that's not quite as prominent on the finished version.
Old May 09, 2006, 12:13 PM   #8
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
Great song, very intricate what with the guitar, the bass, the vocals...love it! I also like the "giggle version" on Anthology, not just for the goofy factor, but also because I love that jangly sound that's not quite as prominent on the finished version.
Yeah, I prefer the official album version. But having the jangly 12-string version is an added bonus - a nice version.

I'm not sure what they were doing on the Anthology version. It sounds as if they already had the lead vocals nailed down (as you can hear them along-side the "giggle vocals"). Perhaps they were trying out harmonizing the entire lead vocal and not just the incidental harmonies that appear on the final version(???).
Old May 09, 2006, 03:22 PM   #9
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I love this song! I actually played it for my English class last year cuz we were doing a project of your favorite things or things important in your life or something and i decided to play it. Some girls (as it was women's studies) in the class were even singing along to it!

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2006, 06:14 PM   #10
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Isn't it amazing that almost all The Beatles' albums had very little filler on them?

I mean, on most albums then and more so today, there are one or two good tracks, and then yack-inducing filler. There were not many, and still not many to this day, who could do what The Beatles did with an entire album.

How many times do you ever hear any one pontificate about Live With Me by the Stones off an album which sported winners like Country Honk and You Can't Always Get What You Want? But, Pepper saw She's Leaving Home getting all kinds of accolades for it's sweeping intricate melody even though it was not a chart topper. Or, Red Hill Mining Town off of U2's Joshua Tree album? A great album, but you only ever hear about the hits. . .which there happen to be quite a few on this gem.

The Beatles just had that magic something which eludes just about everyone else, it seems.

Last edited by AmericanBeatle : May 09, 2006 at 06:14 PM.
AmericanBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2006, 06:20 PM   #11
Roxy Starkey
Sgt. Pepper

Send a message via MSN to Roxy Starkey

I love And Your Bird Can Sing.
It's so Lennon. So pop. So good!!

The lyrics are great, and the music too. It's a happy tune yet so intelligent, the harmonies when they sing "and your bird can sing" or "and your bird is green" I love how the sound together.

Love how he sings "you can't hear me", it's like his voice brokes lol
Would you like to do it too?

You and I, country dreamer
Roxy Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2006, 06:24 PM   #12
darkhorse
Sun King

Cool

Double post.

Last edited by darkhorse : May 09, 2006 at 06:26 PM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2006, 06:25 PM   #13
darkhorse
Sun King

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner
I read (or heard?) somewhere that Paul actualy played the guitar on that. I don't want to believe that one. I like to think that Georgey got to take the credit for that. Paul played a killer bassline in the song, so give George his rightful place as guitarist, d*mmit!
Ah, it's definitely George PLUS someone else. He said it in 1987:

"I think it was Paul and me, or maybe John and me, playing (guitar) in harmony-- quite a complicated little line that goes through the middle-eight."

It's another great song that John dismissed. ("Another horror", he called it).

Source: http://www.geocities.com/~beatleboy1/dba07revol.html
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2006, 07:07 PM   #14
gberman
Day Tripper

I'm not a musician, but I've heard from those who are that the guitar riff in this song is quite tricky to play.

If John really made a snide comment about the song, that's just another example of how exasperating he could be--insulting his own brilliant work time and time again. It's one thing to be humble and not get a swell head, but I think he took it to extremes in the opposite direction.

Hell, I'd LOVE to be able to write a song like that!
gberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2006, 07:52 PM   #15
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberman
I'm not a musician, but I've heard from those who are that the guitar riff in this song is quite tricky to play.

If John really made a snide comment about the song, that's just another example of how exasperating he could be--insulting his own brilliant work time and time again. It's one thing to be humble and not get a swell head, but I think he took it to extremes in the opposite direction.

It's nearly impossible to play alone on one guitar. I've made a good try at it in the past, but there are note combinations that are simply too difficult to play together on ONE guitar neck. Especially the "bends" and the "pull-offs" (for those fellow guitarists out there). Your sources are correct... in order to play it properly, you need two guitarists harmonizing the two parts.

As for John's dismissal of the song... he WAS an enigma, wasn't he, when it came to critiquing his own work.
Old May 09, 2006, 08:44 PM   #16
1.am.534n
Fool On The Hill

The beatles have always had great harmonies in all of their parts, whether it be singing or instrumental. Similar to SOAD's latest album, Hypnotize - harmonies galore. :D
1.am.534n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 08:29 AM   #17
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gberman

Wouldn't we all, my friend, wouldn't we all!
Old Jun 03, 2006, 11:26 AM   #18
Anthony
Little Child

Send a message via AIM to Anthony

This song just makes me jealous. I am dumbfounded that certain people don't care for this song. I mean how can you not? It puts you in a stranglehold from the get go and leaves you disoriented and in a haze.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 10:55 PM   #19
nigel64
Apple Scruff

And Your Bird can Sing is one of my favorite Beatle Songs off my Favorite Albums Revolver the only Problem with it its only 2minutes long it could go on longer for me John & George play Lead Guitar on it their awesome on it along with Paul on Bass
nigel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:29 PM   #20
Wavertree
Apple Scruff

One of my favourite Beatles songs. The high point of Revolver — in fact, I think that it should have been the album’s first track (sorry, “Taxman” fans).

I do wish it were just a wee bit faster, though.