BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Dec 13, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Johnny909
Fool On The Hill

Default BBC recording of "I'll Get You"--Beatles or not?

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the forum today and am happy to be here! I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer for me.

There is a video on YouTube of the Beatles singing "I'll Get You" on a British TV show (I do not know what show it was) sometime in 1963 in which they lip-synced to the recorded version of the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmosLqJaOlg

However, a gentleman posted the exact same video on YouTube but it has a different audio track in which the Beatles are supposedly singing a version of "I'll Get You" that was broadcast live for the BBC ("Pop Go The Beatles") on either of two possible dates:

8/13/63 or 9/10/63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCp2...eature=related

My question is twofold: Is either the 8/13/63 or 9/10/63 version extant? And if so, how did this person get his hands on it? I know of only one live version of "I'll Get You" and that exists only as an audio recording, not a video. That audio recording was made when the Beatles performed live at the London Palladium in October of 1963.

For you musicians out there, the version of "I'll Get You" posted by this gentleman has the group performing the song in the key of E major--a whole step higher from the original key of D major, which I find very odd. But the most telling thing of all, is the voices. They sound similar to the voices of John and Paul but the timbre and inflections are just not the same. I may be wrong, but I believe this is not the Beatles but rather a very good imitation from one of the many tribute bands out there, some of whom sound very close to the original group's sound. But for me, the clincher is the vocals--they sound similar to John and Paul, but that's as far as it goes. I appreciate any feedback. Thank you all!
Johnny909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

I checked really quick, and "I'll Get You" was performed 5 times for the BBC. Not sure why, but the official 'Live At The BBC' release didn't include the song at all. Here's one of the versions...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx2od7fRpJg

All 5 versions are out there, they've been on bootlegs for many years. It's possible that one of those versions was sped up, and that's what you're hearing.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:42 PM   #3
Johnny909
Fool On The Hill

Smile BBC recording of "I'll Get You"--Beatles or not?

Thanks so much for that information, Jerry. I don't have any bootlegged versions of "I'll Get You" and the version I heard was indeed sped up. The vocals sounded quite different, so much so that I really doubted that it was John and Paul singing. In any case, thank you for making me aware of these different versions. Much appreciated!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:22 AM   #4
zipp

A bit of discussion on youtube as to whether this is or is not the Beatles. It obviously is them but the videos are so out of sync they're painful to watch!
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:29 AM   #5
Colonel Angus
Dr. Robert

I was perusing the Youtube vids and noticed that McCartney played it at a recent show. That's one that I hadn't seen on any set-lists. For some reason I thought it was a Lennon song.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:28 AM   #6
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny909 View Post
Thanks so much for that information, Jerry. I don't have any bootlegged versions of "I'll Get You" and the version I heard was indeed sped up. The vocals sounded quite different, so much so that I really doubted that it was John and Paul singing. In any case, thank you for making me aware of these different versions. Much appreciated!
All 5 BBC versions are available in the Premium Forum. I don't have time right now, but maybe somebody can grab them all really quick and compare them to the version you posted.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Johnny909
Fool On The Hill

Thanks, Jerry!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:21 PM   #8
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

The video is from "ready steady Go" and the poster states clearly where he got the audio from..Purple Chicks complete BBC set.

Ive got a Pop go the Beatles version on an old tape..Im sure there is a BBC version on "Live at the BBC" too , but a different one to this..

of course this is the Beatles!!

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Dec 15, 2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: none
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:42 AM   #9
baloachi
Fool On The Hill

oh! it seems a complicated subject to get the way out
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:53 PM   #10
Johnny909
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
The video is from "ready steady Go" and the poster states clearly where he got the audio from..Purple Chicks complete BBC set.

Ive got a Pop go the Beatles version on an old tape..Im sure there is a BBC version on "Live at the BBC" too , but a different one to this..

of course this is the Beatles!!
Thanks for the info. I don't have any versions of Beatles songs other than their official releases. This particular version of "I'll Get You" from the BBC recordings is in the key of E major--a whole step higher than the studio version, which is in D major. Though the tempo is similar, the change in key is what threw me off. I know that the Beatles often rearranged their songs while in the studio and it might be that the song was lowered a whole step down to accommodate John's harmonica part--I don't know. In any case, thank you for the explanation.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:07 PM   #11
AZJim
Fool On The Hill

OMG, all I needed was literally the first two seconds of the intro to tell this is a FAKE. Not only the voices but there are several things wrong with the sound of the instruments. Even if it is "live" I know how they sound live and this ain't it. I'm a musician too (also in a Beatles band) and this, on the surface, is what a fairly competent tribute band would sound like. Commendable to a point but not the real thing.

I just went and listened to the Anthology 1 (Palladium Oct. 13, 63) version and it is in E, but it still sounds like THEM. A little sloppy, but them. Which is another reason I think this is a fake, it's too perfect in some ways.

The studio (official) version is in D...well, sort of, actually a little flat of D, but not quite Db (C#). (The "White" book, Complete Scores, has it in Db, but to me, it's clearly closer to D than Db.)

All that beside the point, really go back and listen guys. Follow each voice or each instrument all the way, isolating it in your brain and asking yourself if it sounds like "them" just in another setting, or if it sounds like a decent cover band doing a decent job trying to sound like them.

Last edited by AZJim : Dec 30, 2011 at 08:25 PM. Reason: additions
AZJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:50 AM   #12
Legs
Sun King

The reason that it sounds to perfect is because it's not live. While they did perform live for the BBC, before an audience or not, a lot of of these BBC tracks were recorded before being broadcast, this is one of them.

This version comes from the Saturday Club (Fifth Birthday Edition) broadcast the 5th of October 1963, but it does almost sound the same as the version recorded September 3th and aired September 10th for Pop Go The Beatles. So maybe they used that recording twice. But the Saturday Club broadcast sounds clearer on the bootleg.

Here are all five "I'll Get You" performances/recordings. 4 unique ones and one possible repeat.

https://rapidshare.com/files/913905422/At_The_Beeb.zip

Non of these were released on the official Live at the BBC set.

So yes this is the Beatles, not completly live but a recording made for the BBC the September 3th, aired both for Pop Go The Beatles the 10th and Saturday Club, October 5th.

Last edited by Legs : Dec 31, 2011 at 01:57 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:05 AM   #13
sheelywheely
Fool On The Hill

Yes it is The Beatles. I listened to Pop Go the Beatles in 1963 and recorded the progs on tape.
sheelywheely is offline   Reply With Quote