BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Beatles For Sale

Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:26 PM   #1
lacaluck
Fool On The Hill

Default Original or not? Butchers Cover

Hello, I would like to ask a question regarding the authenticity of a Beatles butchers cover LP I recently found.

I found it in a small flea shop in Madrid Spain a month ago, it is still covered with plastic seal and it is what you refer to as a "first state". I do admit though that it seems strange that I managed to find this rare LP for only 20 euro at a shop.

So, more specifically, I would like to know if you know any way to make sure that it is a original copy? I could send you pictures of it if you think that would help.

Thanks very much for your time.
lacaluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:02 PM   #2
Serena

It is most likely a Japanese reissue, but the year of reproduction may vary. Most of them were released within the last 20 years. If the slick is smooth instead of textured, that's usually another indication. If you are able to provide photos, it would certainly help with verification.

Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:59 PM   #3
lacaluck
Fool On The Hill

Here are the photos, they are on photobucket, if you can not view them for some reason then just tell me I will try to put them somewhere else.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...tcher%20Cover/
lacaluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Serena

It definitely looks like a reproduction to me. The cover is in darker contrast than the original which has been another obvious indication. But you can continue to ask around about it if you wish.

A few years ago, many more of these counterfeits were re-released, emulating the originals down to the smallest detail and mystifying a number of collectors. But their frequent turn ups have made their 'authenticity' more transparent. Now they are usually just bought by those who wish to own a more affordable butcher album as a piece of art.

Last edited by Serena : Jun 24, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Hey there.

I've just had a look at the pics. A couple of questions:

1 - Is the print in the small RIAA logo bottom right corner of the back cover legible or is it a little blurry or nonreadable?

2 - If you look into the mouth, is there any indication of an inner sleeve? Is it orange or white?

3 - Does the shrinkwrap have any small 'breatheholes' in it?

I'm assuming that there is a record inside the sleeve.

It's interesting that it's a mono sleeve as usually the counterfeits are of the stereo since the authentics command a much higher asking price.

But if it is a reproduction, which it sadly almost certainly is, then it's a very, very well constructed one (judging by the photographs).

=)
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 06:43 PM   #6
bobdude
Dr. Robert

I would say that this is a repro.
I don't notice any record wear on the front or back of the jacket. A 45 years old record jacket would have some wear. Unless if it's a genuine Livingston copy.
Along the same lines the whites are also too white and corners are really too sharp to be a 45 year old lp.
Also as I look at my second state and compare it to this one, the printing on the spine appears to be a bolder text that on the original.
I seem to remember that several years ago there were many of these made in Japan. Also, finding it in a flea market in Spain would give give me cause for concern. Unlikely that you'd find a mint condition, first state in shrinkwrap all the way there. I suppose possible but not probable.
But continue to enjoy your find. It's a great conversation piece.