BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Nov 05, 2008, 12:40 PM   #61
thecaitycat
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post
I'm very, very concerned. Not because I hate Obama and think he's evil, but because with a democratic President, house and senate, I'm concerned about the system of checks and balances that are supposed to be in place.
I was more concerned about this with Bush in office, actually. His whole administration is way too secretive. It's OUR government and we have a right to know what it's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulIsMine
Now on to the most important decision - Obama promised his daughters a puppy if he won. What sort of puppy?
I VOTE CORGI. A FLEET OF CORGIS LIKE THE QUEEN HAS.
Nooo, they need a border collie! Those dogs are intelligent and sweet. I had one when I was a child.

Or he should get them a kitten. I wish I could afford a new kitten.

"Congratulations, Madam. There's another town you've destroyed." - William Shaw

Last edited by thecaitycat : Nov 05, 2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: clarification
thecaitycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 12:55 PM   #62
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

For my sanity, I will attempt to stay out of politics on the forum. Just one thing...

While the electoral vote was definitely a blowout, I think people should keep in mind that over 56 million people voted for McCain, or depending how you wanna look at it, 56 million people didn't vote for Obama. Think about that. How many countries in the world even have 56 million people living in them? The country isn't suddenly united just because the election is over.

I've already heard a few times that Obama has a national mandate to do this or that. Uh, sorry, but 56 million people voting against you isn't a mandate for anything. Don't think for a second that a magic wand is gonna be waved, and all the world's problems will be solved.

Getting elected is the easy part...

Last edited by Jerry : Nov 05, 2008 at 12:57 PM.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:15 PM   #63
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Don't think for a second that a magic wand is gonna be waved, and all the world's problems will be solved.
True. It is likely to be a tough road ahead no matter who would have won this election.

What I find really disheartening though is the people who are so angry or bitter that their candidate didn't win that they claim they're going to work against the next administration to be sure it fails. Why? So they can have bragging rights and say "I told you so"? I don't get that.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:15 PM   #64
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
For my sanity, I will attempt to stay out of politics on the forum. Just one thing...

While the electoral vote was definitely a blowout, I think people should keep in mind that over 56 million people voted for McCain, or depending how you wanna look at it, 56 million people didn't vote for Obama. Think about that. How many countries in the world even have 56 million people living in them? The country isn't suddenly united just because the election is over.

I've already heard a few times that Obama has a national mandate to do this or that. Uh, sorry, but 56 million people voting against you isn't a mandate for anything. Don't think for a second that a magic wand is gonna be waved, and all the world's problems will be solved.

Getting elected is the easy part...
true....but it's true the complete contrary as well...
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:21 PM   #65
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccartneyluvr View Post
Yes, PiM can you explain it to me(the electoral college). You'd think being a history/social studies major when I was in college I'd understand it better. Maybe I was absent that day. To me it sounds like the people don't actually elect the President and the popular vote doesn't matter since technically the electoral college can pick who they want regardless of the popular vote in that state...am I at least sort of right?
hey ... I've got to leave at the moment...but I'll be back and I'll answer you! :)
take me to that place
where I can find my brave face
PaulisMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:22 PM   #66
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanya View Post
true....but it's true the complete contrary as well...
Ok, I can't help it. Explain this please.

If somebody won 75% of the vote, now that would be a clear mandate. But 54% or whatever it was is not convincing at all. That's just over half. Yes, Obama kicked ass if you're talking electoral votes, that's not even debatable. But to me, the popular vote is the true pulse of the people. It's a plain and simple number. 56 million people didn't wake up today and like the guy, that's not how it works.

Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:46 PM   #67
Blackguard
Paperback Writer

Quote:
If somebody won 75% of the vote, now that would be a clear mandate. But 54% or whatever it was is not convincing at all. That's just over half. Yes, Obama kicked ass if you're talking electoral votes, that's not even debatable. But to me, the popular vote is the true pulse of the people. It's a plain and simple number. 56 million people didn't wake up today and like the guy, that's not how it works.
Agreed. Totally. Hit The Nail On The Head.

I'm not looking at Obama as a miracle worker. Just the next guy to go walking into the white house. 4 years from now we go through the same process another time. Money spent, adds aired on TV and radio, and speaches made later President Nugent takes the oath of office.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:55 PM   #68
Mccartneyluvr
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to Mccartneyluvr Send a message via Yahoo to Mccartneyluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulisMine View Post
hey ... I've got to leave at the moment...but I'll be back and I'll answer you! :)
Thanks!

Yes, my hands are full, but so is my heart.

Just call me Mrs. B
Mccartneyluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 02:37 PM   #69
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

Okay, I'm here! Sorry if you know some of this stuff, I want to make sure I get it all in, in case there is someone else out there that has questions!
First, each state is assigned a number of electors (electoral votes) based on their total number of people in Congress. The number of House reps is based on state population, and every state gets 2 senators. So, a state with a small population, like Montana, has just 3 electoral votes.
When you go vote, you are TECHNICALLY voting for electors, who in turn "pledge" their vote to a particular candidate. The way it is set up, it is not proportional, one candidate only has to get one more vote than the other guy, and they get all the electoral votes in that state. (I personally could get behind a more fair distribution of electors, i.e. one candidate gets 45% of the vote, they get 45% of the electoral votes, but I digress).
In Dec. generally, the electors all get together and "make it official" by casting their votes for the candidate they have pledged to. Now, there is no law that requires these electors to choose the person they SAY they are going to choose. On occasion... not often, but it happens... an elector will throw a vote to another candidate, for whatever reason (they are not required to explain their vote). So yes, technically speaking, they (the electors) could give their votes to the other guy, or someone totally different.
Hope that helps a little, let me know if any questions. I know these things because I'm a big nerd. :D
take me to that place
Old Nov 05, 2008, 02:53 PM   #70
GirlWithKaleidoscopeEyes
Rocky Raccoon

Random history nerd fact: James Monroe (fifth president of the US) would have won the electoral votes unanimously, had it not been for one elector (I think from Maryland, perhaps) who voted for Monroe's opponent (even though Monroe had won the elector's state) just so that George Washington would remain the only president to have ever been elected unanimously.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 03:49 PM   #71
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
What I find really disheartening though is the people who are so angry or bitter that their candidate didn't win that they claim they're going to work against the next administration to be sure it fails. Why? So they can have bragging rights and say "I told you so"? I don't get that.
I find that frustrating too. But it's a sad reality. I think a lot of democrats have relished Bush's failings, and unfortunately a lot of repulblicans will relish any failings Obama might have. I swear if I hear one more politician whine about "well the republicans did this", or "the democrats did that", I will scream. Actually have already, come to think of it.

The only recent thing I can think of with this, outside of the Presidential campaigns, was Nancy Pelosi when the economic crap was going down a month ago. They showed her whining about the republicans messing up, not saying a darn thing about what solution she thought was appropriate or what actions should be taken, and I just wanted to scream "I don't care who messed what up....you were elected to do a job, now why don't you shut up and do it?!" We need more bi-partisanship, and a WHOLE lot less finger pointing and name calling.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 03:56 PM   #72
Mccartneyluvr
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to Mccartneyluvr Send a message via Yahoo to Mccartneyluvr

Thanks, PiM you explained it well. I guess what I thought about it was somewhat right. Just out of curiousity has anyone ever tried to pass a law or whatever to get rid of the electoral college?

Just call me Mrs. B
Old Nov 05, 2008, 03:59 PM   #73
Clark Kent
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinluv182 View Post
I'm very, very concerned. Not because I hate Obama and think he's evil, but because with a democratic President, house and senate, I'm concerned about the system of checks and balances that are supposed to be in place.
Well if Bush and the Republicans hadn't been such a disaster, the Democrats wouldn't have won so comprehensively.
Old Nov 05, 2008, 03:59 PM   #74
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
I don't understand why people wouldn't want things to get better... period. Why would someone want things to remain as they are?

& this is also what I was trying to say in the other thread when I said to the Americans who voted (those whose elect won & those whose elect didn't win...)
"Let's just hope that whoever it is that enters the office in January can help us all come together to make this country an awesome place once again. Because it's not really up to whoever is in the Oval Office anyway. It's up to us! It's not just about Election Year. It's about each & every day." I just wanted us to all work together regardless of who won. Just sad...
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 04:01 PM   #75
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulisMine View Post
I know these things because I'm a big nerd. :D
No way! You rock at this stuff which is why I ask you questions about it! haha!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 04:03 PM   #76
Clark Kent
Sun King

Obama has won more than 50% of the popular vote. The Democrats rarely do that.

Last edited by Clark Kent : Nov 05, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
Clark Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 04:13 PM   #77
erinluv182
Taxman

Send a message via AIM to erinluv182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Well if Bush and the Republicans hadn't been such a disaster, the Democrats wouldn't have won so comprehensively.
As Jerry said earlier, I wouldn't really call Obama's win comprehensive.

Once you go Macca, you never go bacca.
erinluv182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2008, 04:16 PM   #78
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

The electoral college is in the Constitution, as far as I know, no serious movement has ever been mounted to amend the Consitution about the electoral college. Amending the Constitution is REALLY difficult, and takes years... you always hear rumblings about it, especially after 2000 election, but no major push that I know of, if I'm in error, please let me know! :)
take me to that place
Old Nov 05, 2008, 04:19 PM   #79
Mccartneyluvr
Sun King

I think you're right, PiM otherwise we would have heard about it. I dont remember ever hearing anyone challenging it.

And no, you're not a nerd, you're like AskPaulisMine.com LOL!

Just call me Mrs. B
Old Nov 05, 2008, 04:22 PM   #80
VersusBatman
Sun King

Now people are focusing on Michelle Obama's dress.

http://blog.nola.com/susanlangenhenn...dress_win.html

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote