BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:39 AM   #81
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Really? Is that what you got?

Since when did it become acceptable for people to call John a "huge asshole" based on a character he played in a film? What does that have to do with real life?
Hmm, I don't get it either

I heard and read several times how much John loved Ringo. He even claimed that Ringo "was the heart of the Beatles" and he never treated Ringo badly, but always respected him.

I mean, the slapstick-movie "Help" doesn't reflects their friendship in real life

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:56 AM   #82
yol
Apple Scruff

Paul McCartney is my favourite Beatle. He introduced Harrison to Lennon (a minor but prescient thing).
He co-wrote nearly all their hit songs up to 1964 and solely wrote most of their hits from then until 1969.
He kept the band going after Epstein's death.
He battled, constantly, with the fractious nature of the band post-1967. Had he not been so strong a leader and negotiator, we would not have Abbey Road.
He was also a damned fine musician.
The Beatles' post-Epstein era is virtually defined by McCartney's songs: Hey Jude, Let It Be, The Long and Winding Road, Penny Lane, Blackbird, Back In the USSR, Get Back, Golden Slumbers, Hello Goodbye, Helter Skelter, Lady Madonna, Ob-La-di-Ob-La-Da, and others.

In short, McCartney is my favourite for being the most important Beatle.

(Gasoline to the bonfire. Write as you will.)
yol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:22 AM   #83
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by yol View Post
In short, McCartney is my favourite for being the most important Beatle.
You state that as fact, and I don't agree.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Dec 29, 2011 at 10:23 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:42 AM   #84
kayinthelife
Sgt. Pepper

I don't think I even have a favorite Beatle anymore. None of them were exactly the same, and they all have their strong parts and weaker parts. They all had different functions in the band that kept it going.
Make 'em feel okay

ROCKIN!

I'm certainly guilty at times of being lazy.
kayinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:14 PM   #85
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
You can say that again!!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:17 PM   #86
ChrisG134
Sun King

1. John
2. John
3.George
John again
John again
Ringo
John again
Then Paul
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:16 PM   #87
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG134 View Post
1. John
2. John
3.George
John again
John again
Ringo
John again
Then Paul
Your subtlety, my lovely Chris, is always so easy to note.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:23 PM   #88
the ninth walrus
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via Yahoo to the ninth walrus

most defently
John
george
ringo
Paul

there's nothing like an afternoon of drinking homemade butter milk and listing to old music.

sǝɯıʇ ʇɐ ǝɟıl

me i'm part Irish
the ninth walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:33 PM   #89
larainefan
Little Child

Sometimes it's George---John---Ringo---Paul
Sometimes it's George---Ringo---John---Paul

But it would not have been the Beatles without all 4 of them, each have their own distinct valuable traits.
larainefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:12 AM   #90
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Talking

Quote:
Oh well, just "let it be"; we know it better, don't we, Scruffie ?

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:04 PM   #91
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Oh well, just "let it be"; we know it better, don't we, Scruffie ?

Snoopy
Yes, but citing Hello Goodbye, Golden Slumbers and Lady Madonna as reasons? Wow.

Mine has changed three times in my life, dinstinctively and easily remembered/explained.

When I was a kid, Paul was my favorite. He was my Mothers favorite, and Paul does write more simplistic, accessible, "pop-ish" songs, generally speaking. As I grew older, say teens, I discovered how much of a badass player George was, how his life was so interesting, and the "quiet Beatle" monicker was BS. He became my favorite for a long time.

I'll be honest, Pattie Boyd H E L P E D more than should be allowed. Hey, I was 20 or so!

As I grew older, married and started a family, dealing with life's happiness and problems in a way I have never experienced before, Lennon's heartfelt songs, honesty, and emotional openness held tremendous appeal for me. It resonated in a way no Beatles music ever had before. I'm not an enormous fan of his late late work, and the "bed-in", drugs, and Yoko business I don't identify completely with, to be completely honest. But I will remember playing/singing Beautiful Boy to my own first born 15 years ago, and will vividly remember it until my last breath.

My Paul years were fun, in a "this is great music, and TONS of it" kind of way. Played the whole catalog, but Paul seemed to stand out.

The George years singled out his ability to live a life I probably wouldn't have had the balls to live, and seemed to fit with my ever chaEnging and emerging view of society and the world.

Now that John is the guy, it is all about how the music touches my role as a husband, father, and family leader. Goo-Goo-Goo-Joob is stil fun as hell, always was, but In My Life, Jealous Guy, Mother, Instant Karma, and so many others have been rediscovered as more than just good songs. Lots of Early John stuff too.

I've grown to appreciate Ringos drumming a LOT more this year as well. Listen to "A Day in the Life" with earbuds on. Amazing Ringo!

So, 1 John. 2. George 3. Paul and Ringo. Don't forget Sir George martin! ****ing genius!
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:24 AM   #92
Keri
Fool On The Hill

Default My favourites change over time

My favourite depends on the song or the album. But mostly it goes like this.

John is my favourite in the early years, he had the most amazing voice which at that time was the Beatles greatest asset.

Paul was my next favourite as he had the next best voice and he wrote some great stuff.

Hard to choose between George and Ringo. Ringo was an excellent drummer and while not a great singer his work was really likeable. George's guitar was alright, his backing vocals were a great compliment to John's particularly. His leads weren't fantastic but he started to write his own songs with Don't Bother Me (I like this song). There is really something about the Beatles needing all four of them to work the magic, so I'll tie George and Ringo at this stage.

That's mostly how it stays for a while. On Revolver I think Paul's work is better than John's except for Tomorrow Never Knows, at this time John also did Rain which is one of my all time favourite Beatle tracks. So Paul is my favourite on Revolver.

Probably back to John for Sgt Pepper, but Paul has such a big part to play in the arrangements. But John's songs are better so I'll give it to John. However George has his first great song in my opinion with Within You Without You. It's only one song but it's important. Ringo sings one of his signature songs With a Little Help from My Friends. But I'll give George an edge over Ringo here.

I'm not too sure about Magical Mystery Tour, White album and Let it Be, they're interesting albums but uneven for all of the Beatles. John gets best song on Magical Mystery Tour with "I am the Walrus" not counting the earlier single Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields which are one a piece fantastic works for Paul and John. Ringo doesn't get a song and George delivers a poor one. So I'll give John then Paul, then Ringo and George a tie. White album I'll give to Paul as i find his poor songs less annoying than John's, George has a couple of poor songs Piggies and Savoy Truffle and a couple of good ones Long Long Long and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Ringo gets to sing two songs one of which he write himself and which i find quite charming, But George's two good songs put him very close to John and Paul but still behind them but ahead of Ringo. Let it Be, probably Paul then George then John then Ringo. Abbey Road and the only two George songs are the two classics Something and Here Comes the Sun. What has happened? The dark horse George has streaked into the lead. Next place I think I'll give to Paul although John's Come Together is the next best track Paul is overall a bit stronger with his medley and no "I want you" which I find a blot on the album. Ringo creates a lovely little track Octopus' Garden but still fourth place.

Then solo careers

1. George after over taking the others on Abbey Road stays there. His work starts with a monster album which is probably the greatest solo Beatle work All things Must Pass, he then moves on to make beautifully crafted understated albums as well as being in an interesting band the Wilburys. George's music has an honesty, emotional connection and spirituality. These albums have grown on me over the years.

2. Paul produced an abundance of music, displaying his melodic gifts, they are full of a warm sentimentality that is likeable, he stretches himself taking up painting and writing Orchestral works and electronic music. There is an unevenness about his work but he tries different things and he never loses his musicality or good humour.

3. Ringo, we didn't expect too much from Ringo. But i find his debut Sentimental Journey totally charming. Both Ringo and Goodnight Vienna were good albums and then from Time takes Time he has done a string of surprisingly good albums.

4. John. From being the top Beatle he has fallen to the bottom for me. His solo albums I just can't listen to. His voice is great on some of them, but most of his songs are just so unimaginative (Imagine that). He just writes arid little diarist songs about Yoko and John and John and Yoko, oh and he does write one about Sean too. He has a few good song but not a single album that I can listen to right through with pleasure.
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:28 AM   #93
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

I like all 4 in different ways too. They all made the group lengendary!
What's remarkable is the fact, they made music that will last forever with minimal knowledge of how to write or read music in the beginning. That takes gifted talent!

Last edited by peanut333 : Jan 09, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:20 PM   #94
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut333 View Post
I like all 4 in different ways too. They all made the group lengendar y!
What's remarkable if the fact, they made music that will last forever with minimal knowledge of how to write or read music in the beginning. That takes gifted talent!
And they did it all in about 7 1/2 years? It's hard to comprehend even now.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:13 PM   #95
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
4. John. From being the top Beatle he has fallen to the bottom for me. His solo albums I just can't listen to. His voice is great on some of them, but most of his songs are just so unimaginative (Imagine that). He just writes arid little diarist songs about Yoko and John and John and Yoko, oh and he does write one about Sean too. He has a few good song but not a single album that I can listen to right through with pleasure.
It's a shame that your generalization of John's solo music is so completely wrong.

However, you like what you like.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:26 AM   #96
Keri
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
It's a shame that your generalization of John's solo music is so completely wrong.

Look you're welcome to disagree but give your reasons, what does this comment add to the discussion?

I am not completely wrong. Some things are opinions and some things are facts. I called John's work diarist, John himself spoke of Double Fantasy as being postcards, which is another way of saying the same thing. I said John writes about himself and Yoko. When John Lennon uses the first person in most of his solo work it is almost always as himself,he doesn't tend to take on a character. He has also written a lot of songs about Yoko as i said such as:

Oh Yoko
Oh My Love
(Just Like) Starting Over
I'm Losing You
Woman
Dear Yoko
(Forgive Me) My Little Flower Princess
Out of the Blue

For me this approach just kills imagination and art no matter who the artist. This is where we get to the opinion part and where there is no right or wrong. As you like John's solo work you must be happy with his artistic approach.

I still like John as a person, his interviews are interesting, he's much more forthright than Paul, but i find his recordings disappointing.
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:34 PM   #97
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:

Right on lady! Right on.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 12:55 PM   #98
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
Look you're welcome to disagree but give your reasons, what does this comment add to the discussion?
No offense, but what 'discussion' would that be? There's a bunch of people posting and leaving. I see very few responses to some posts and no actual discussion.

Quote:
I am not completely wrong. Some things are opinions and some things are facts. I called John's work diarist
No, to be specific you said "He just writes arid little diarist songs about Yoko and John and John and Yoko, oh and he does write one about Sean too."

Not only does your tone seem unbelievably condescending towards John, buy you are wrong simply because John DID NOT "just" write songs about him and Yoko. Nice trying to put in your little "oh..and one about Sean." Very transparent.

from the list you supplied, it appears you don't have a very in-depth knowledge of John's solo material, so even though I am not Apple Scruff and you were not talking to me I have been offended by the way you brushed off his career because it doesn't suit your fancy. And not only that, referring to his music as lacking imagination because he was more of a confessional writer shows a lack of understanding. Who says you can't have imagination just because you write personally? John DIDN'T just write about Yoko. He wrote about the world, he wrote about emotions all of us go through. I don't know if any people who adore John's music really need to validate our feelings as to why we think it's great, because it isn't your thing and you'll no doubt find anything we say rubbish.

Quote:
Oh Yoko
Oh My Love
(Just Like) Starting Over
I'm Losing You
Woman
Dear Yoko
(Forgive Me) My Little Flower Princess
Out of the Blue
Yes! Those are John songs. A pithy few. And two of them are the only that refer specifically to Yoko Ono. The listener doesn't have to assume the other love songs are about her; they are love songs. So what you're saying is that, having love songs, he is less imaginative- even though his language and emotion is chalk full of imagery? I am confused.

Let me list some songs for you:

Instant Karma!
Crippled Inside
What You Got
Whatever Gets You Through The Night
Mind Games
Bring on da Lucie
Tight A$
Give Peace A Chance
Love
[/quote]

What I disagree with is your theory that a person who uses the first person in their art or writing is NOT as imaginative. Are you kidding? Picasso painted things from his life- his wife, his trials, his pain. There are many writers who have done this and the benfits to writing first person:

Quote:
So why would anyone choose first person point of view?
First person creates an intimate perspective. The reader’s vicarious experience is heightened by the tightly focused perspective created when everything is being filtered through the viewpoint character. This is particularly attractive to young readers who can easily see themselves ‘in’ the story.

It can open up some interesting plot possibilities as the narrow viewpoint can hint that things aren’t what they seem, allowing for plot twists later on.

It can be a lot of fun to write as the author gets to ‘live’ the story through another set of eyes.
So basically your saying if someone doesn't make themsels Larry who is a sailor and has a wife who is a cook and make some sort of little story up they have less imagination than someone who can write about their life in a way that touches other people because of their lyrics STILL having a universal appeal? That is something I don't agree with. I prefer personal. I love when someone can take the layers off and expose themself through their art. Always have. To me, there is way more heart and emotions throughout it.

Difeerent strokes for different folks, but what Apple Scruff was no doubt reacting to was you saying John ONLY wrote about Yoko and the very snotty way you said "oh and one song about Sean."

It sounded rude and like you were dismissing John. I took offense and I am not her. John's music is a massive part of my life. It inspired and continues to live on in MANY people's lives. It doesn't for you, it's cool.

Quote:
I still like John as a person, his interviews are interesting, he's much more forthright than Paul, but i find his recordings disappointing.
Good for you.

Last edited by Fly : Jan 09, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:44 PM   #99
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

If anyone expects me to NOT think about my own wife when hearing Woman, my own family when hearing Watching the Wheels, life in general or work stuff when listening to Instant Karma, then they are plain nuts.

Am I allowed to think of Johns Mom only during Mother?

I don't own a Walrus. Anyone want to buy that cd from me, or can I still listen to it?

Please advise.

Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:48 PM   #100
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Cool

I own a silver hammer, and my name is Maxwell.

Better start a murder spree!!!