BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Aug 31, 2005, 02:21 AM   #1
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Default Paul is better with strong producer

Looking back on Paul's career he always seems to produce his best work when he has a strong minded producer at his side. A lot of his stuff with Wings and early 80's stuff is over produced and sounds poorer for it. With his debut McCartney, although produced himself, there is hardly any production on it and it sounds great.
I'm thinking of the likes of Flaming Pie with Jeff Lynne and his new album with Nigel. He seems to relax more and not try so hard to be modern and trendy. He does what he does best, write simple but effective songs with great melody.
The biggest example of trying too hard was with Driving Rain, horrible production in places by a "yes" man and it suffered because of this.There are many other examples.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 03:36 AM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Well, yes, I agree with you. I think Paul has a lot of ideas, some of which are great and some of which are not so great. It's hard to be objective about your own work, I think. I mean, I know I've written some things that I think are fantastic and my beta-readers have been, well, less than enthusiastic about. So it's good to have editors or producers or whatever the case may be who are strongminded and who can say "Yes, this is fabulous! or "Well, you can do better", whichever is appropriate. Yes men may soothe a creative person's ego, but they won't make a better finished product.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 05:22 AM   #3
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart
I think Paul has a lot of ideas, some of which are great and some of which are not so great. It's hard to be objective about your own work, I think.
I think you hit it dead on, Rell. Paul can obviously make some great music, but sometimes I'm sure it can be difficult to know if your audience will really love something as much as you do. I think I've heard an interview about this with George Martin, also? Paul can definately write some great melodies, but I think having a good producer really helps to steer him in the right direction also.