BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Default Vatican forgives The Beatles for 'bigger than Jesus' comment

At the height of their fame The Beatles enraged the Roman Catholic Church by famously declaring they were bigger than Jesus.

By Nick Pisa in Rome and Martin Evans in London
Published: 7:39PM BST 11 Apr 2010

Their enthusiastic pursuit of the sex, drugs and rock and roll lifestyle also did little to convince the Vatican they were anything other than a thoroughly bad influence.

But now in a move sanctioned by Pope Benedict XVI, the Catholic Church has offered the Fab Four its official seal of approval, forgiving them their various excesses and even lauding them as a “precious jewel”.

In a front page article the Vatican’s official newspaper L’Osservatore Romano, offers a glowing assessment of The Beatles’ achievements 40-years after they split, heralding their “beautiful melodies” and begging the question “what would pop music have been like without the Beatles?”

In an astonishing turnaround the Church dismisses previous moral outrages including blasphemous remarks, drug taking and even the dissemination of Satanic messages through their music.

While recognising that John, Paul, George and Ringo, were no saints during their time in The Beatles, the Vatican assures followers they were by no means the worst behaved rock and rollers of their generation.

Offering the band complete absolution, the article, entitled Seven Years That Shook Music, L’Osservatore Romano said: “Its true they took drugs, lived life to excess because of their success, even said they were bigger than Jesus and put out mysterious messages, that were possibly even Satanic.

“They may not have been the best example for the youth of the day but they were by no means the worst. Their beautiful melodies changed music and continue to give pleasure.”

It went on: “Forty years later the Beatles still astound with their originality and they are a

consolation against the continual assault on music lovers by the record industry.”

And referring to the band’s acrimonious split in April 1970, the article added: “Rather then expressing regret at their break up perhaps the question should be what would pop music have been like without the Beatles?”

The glowing praise may come as a surprise to many Catholics, given the band’s very public attacks on organised religion.

John Lennon sparked international condemnation by Christians of all denominations when he famously declared in 1966 that The Beatles were bigger than Jesus.

In an interview he said: “Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn’t argue about that; I’m right and I’ll be proved right. We’re more popular than Jesus now; I don’t know which will go first rock ’n’ roll or Christianity.”

At the time Catholic church was at the forefront of the attacks on the remarks, but two years ago forgave Lennon for his comments, insisting it had merely been the “boasting of an English working-class lad struggling to cope with unexpected success”.

While Sir Paul McCartney and George Harrison were baptized as Catholics, neither followed the faith.

In the late 1960s all four members of the band became fascinated with Eastern mysticism and Harrison later became a devoted follower of the Hare Krishna movement.

Earlier this year Ringo Starr, who turns 70 in July, admitted he had finally found religion saying: “For me, God is in my life. I don’t hide from that. I think the search has been on since the 1960s.”

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...s-comment.html
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:49 PM   #2
jesgear
Sun King

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
The Duke
Day Tripper

Didn't this come out six months ago?

The question is, will The Beatles forgive the Vatican for not supporting the kids of Ireland?
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

Of course, what difference does the Vatican's opinion make about the Beatles anyway? I mean, at least the Beatles didn't sexually abuse underage boys...

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:11 PM   #5
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

I didn't care what The Vatican thought about The Beatles before this forgiving, nor do I care what they think of them now.

As far as "The Quote" goes, there is nothing to be forgiven.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

Location: in the center of a big beatle group hug...nah, i wish.

that was a harmless comment. the beatles didnt mean anything real by it. well, maybe john did, since hes...complicated XD just kidding. im sure it was a joke.
Miss Nani Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Didn't this come out six months ago?

The question is, will The Beatles forgive the Vatican for not supporting the kids of Ireland?
Or the Jews of Poland?!

Here's how I feel about The Vatican:

Peace and
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:09 PM   #9
bobdude
Dr. Robert

Ah........ but who forgives the Vatican?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:02 PM   #10
John Cee
Day Tripper

Yeah, I would think the Vatican has a lot of stuff to ask forgiveness for, rather than worrying about "forgiving" a 44 year old comment from John Lennon that was GROSSLY taken out of context in the first place!

I've got nothing to say, but it's okay!
GOOD MORNING!
GOOD MORNING!!
GOOD MORNING!!!
John Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 01:14 AM   #12
FPSHOT
Sun King

I believe that what is coming out the past few years about the most favorite hobby within the Roman Catholic church can be seen as a worldwide crime.

It's a worldwide thing niow, experiences from men and women, boys and girls, being sexually and otherwise abused by RC (rape children) priests is disgusting.

It is a fact now that it is not a tiny issue, that it happens worldwide on a large scale for centuries already and is covered with silence hiding behind the 'value' of the Vatican and the RC church.

People tell their 'sins' to priests who probably should be the ones doing the confessing.

It's horrible. And still accepted by millions. Unbelievable.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Apr 12, 2010 at 03:04 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:45 AM   #13
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Is this actually a new piece of news or has the Vatican paper just re-hashed what they came out with a month or so ago? If it is in fact a new article they have published, what's with them loving The Beatles so much all of a sudden? Trying to score points perhaps?

A few weeks ago the excellent movie Deliver Us From Evil was on TV. I watched it again despite the disgust and upset it caused me last time I saw it. A very good film and certainly worth watching for anyone who has an interest in all this terrible stuff.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:09 AM   #14
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
I believe that what is coming out the past few years about the most favorite hobby within the Roman Catholic church can be seen as a worldwide crime.
To me, it is sad that it has taken a crime as heinous as the systematic protection of child rapists for the world to really take note of the corruption and inherent hypocrisy of the Catholic Church. After all, they have hundreds of years of history as an institution that has oppressed humanity, while at the same time professing to be the only avenue for us to achieve salvation.

We cannot forget the church's role in the Holocaust, the Inquisition, the genocide of Native Americans... and, for those of you who require something more current, the unforgivable stance on condoms in an AIDS-ridden Africa. Hundred of millions of souls have been tortured, murdered, or have died due to the policies of the church.

Like Stephen Fry in the video I posted earlier, I have no issue with individuals and their religious beliefs... it is the institution of the church that must change.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:15 AM   #15
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

I'm pretty sure God forgave John a LONG time ago for that comment...that's the only forgiveness that matters, NOT the Vatican's.
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:16 AM   #16
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaGirl2891 View Post
I'm pretty sure God forgave John a LONG time ago for that comment...that's the only forgiveness that matters, NOT the Vatican's.
Why did he need forgiveness at all? He committed no sin... he just spoke the truth.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 09:30 AM   #18
taxgirl
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post

Like Stephen Fry in the video I posted earlier, I have no issue with individuals and their religious beliefs... it is the institution of the church that must change.
I totally agree with you Maia.
Especially the RC church. Over the century's they have caused so much trouble all around the world.
But other religions have their 'radicals' too.
In the 'normal' Protestant churches there are groups who also forbid condoms and women wearing throusers for instance... I don't think God cares if you wear jeans or a skirt as a woman. Most important thing to me is: do you care for others... and do you act like that.
I think our guys did/do...all of them...
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:29 AM   #19
62hofner

Like others have said, there's nothing wrong with individuals finding strength and meaning, etc. in their religious faiths.

But organized religions.... I don't know! The attempt to create a perfect and infallible entity on earth? Not possible. Nothing and noBODY is perfect, nor is any theology wholly righteous. Any organized religion that boasts that - or even tries to achieve that - is setting itself up for a fall.

62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:27 PM   #20
twovirgins
Sun King

Default you go Richie!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/04/1...ion=cnn_latest
London, England (CNN) -- The Vatican may have forgiven the Beatles over the weekend for their "satanic" messages -- but Ringo Starr, the legendary band's drummer, says he couldn't care less.

In a tribute published to mark the 40th anniversary of the breakup of the band, who singer John Lennon once claimed were "more popular than Jesus," the Vatican newspaper "L'Osservatore Romano" said it had forgiven them and called them a "precious jewel."

But Starr told CNN: "Didn't the Vatican say we were satanic or possibly satanic -- and they've still forgiven us? I think the Vatican, they've got more to talk about than the Beatles."

Starr was speaking to CNN's Becky Anderson about the launch of his latest solo album called "Y Not," which was released in January.

"I was sitting around in LA and I went on the synth and just got some rhythm patterns with some chords I enjoyed and then drummed to that," Starr said.

"We had no song and we just played something and kept it moving and that's how it all happened."

The album is Starr's 15th album as a solo artist.

Starr also responded to allegations that he had asked his fans to "back off" and explained why he no longer signs autographs.

"I just said to fans that I'm not signing anymore," Starr said.

"That what it was, it wasn't back off, I'm not a vicious man. I don't sign anymore, people say sign this and I just say no."