BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Apr 11, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

Location: in the center of a big beatle group hug...nah, i wish.
Default I have to confess!

okay, so has this ever happened to you? back when you werent a beatlemaniac? (i know, i know, some of you are going: 'what? im sorry, i cant remember that far back' right now XD)

okay so a couple christmases ago i got my first beatles poster. i had just started listening to thier music, although i wasnt a beatle freak yet, like i am now. i did like them though, but really only the songs my mom and dad knew aka cant buy me love, she loves you, etc. the well known ones. anyway i didnt know anything about the band personally. so my sister asks me, 'who are they?' as in, what are thier names, she knew who the beatles were just not the names. so i say, 'oh, thats paul, john, ringo, and....and....' i was so stumped because i had no idea who george was! and then i at least remembered his name was george, so i go, 'oh, thats george, the one nobody knows.'

and now i feel awful about it. i was so naieve. i cannot believe that actually came out of my mouth. i wasnt obsessed, i had only heard a few songs, and i had never even heard of a george harrison. i feel so god damn guilty about it now! i mean, this is how drastic i feel about it: every day when i pray, at the end, i add: "I'M SORRY GEORGE!!"

no lie. has something like that every happened to you?
Miss Nani Moonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 09:45 AM   #2
LennonStarrFan
Rocky Raccoon

Yeah I must admit...When I was a little kid, I've always liked The Beatles, but before I became a big fan like I am now I only knew John and Paul. I didn't know Ringo or George's names. :(

Last edited by LennonStarrFan : Apr 11, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
LennonStarrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:32 AM   #3
The Duke
Day Tripper

When I first heard about the Beatles, when I was around 4 years old, they were named John Paul George and Pete!
But I got used to calling them John Paul George AND Ringo!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 11:09 AM   #4
jesgear
Sun King

My regret doesn't have to do with their names. I've been a major fan only since the Anthology CDs first came out inthe mid-'90s; prior to that, I was just a casual fan. So, I regret to say that I have no recollection of where I was, what I was doing, or how I felt when John died in '80

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

aww, jesgear, thats super sad. but its so cool that youre a fan now, right? thats all that matters :)

i wasnt even alive when he died, so...yeah lol but now i get teary about it all the time.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:11 PM   #6
The Duke
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesgear View Post
I regret to say that I have no recollection of where I was, what I was doing, or how I felt when John died in '80
Don't regret that - it was a terrible, terrible time, and I envy you for not having suffered it.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:23 PM   #7
jesgear
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Nani Moonlight View Post
aww, jesgear, thats super sad. but its so cool that youre a fan now, right? thats all that matters :)
Thanks, Ms. NM, but I'm OK with it all. If anyone asks, I just say that I must have blocked out the memory, even though I know that's not the case. I guess that back then I looked at John as I looked at Elvis; they were both great musicians and I was a fan of sorts, but I wasn't impacted much when we lost them (I don't recall Elvis' death either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Don't regret that - it was a terrible, terrible time, and I envy you for not having suffered it.
That's a great way to look at it, Duke; I did avoid the pain most other Lennon fans felt. Thanks for the comment.

Getting back to the topic of forgetting names, when I have students who are not aware of even one Beatle name, I always threaten to flunk them

jesgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:57 PM   #8
The_Taxman
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to The_Taxman

A couple of years back when I could care less about The Beatles, my family visited NYC. My mom took us to see Strawberry Fields in Central Park. Being as naive as I was I said "Why is this guy so important? What did he ever do?" I will always regret saying that.
The_Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:40 PM   #9
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

There was a time when I, too, had no real idea who they were or what their music was about. This was when I was pretty young though - for years I always related the band to the disgusting black "beetles" that crawled through our garage. I swore I would never listen to a band that named themselves after bugs. I now eat my words!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Miss Nani Moonlight
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzymissLizzy909 View Post
There was a time when I, too, had no real idea who they were or what their music was about. This was when I was pretty young though - for years I always related the band to the disgusting black "beetles" that crawled through our garage. I swore I would never listen to a band that named themselves after bugs. I now eat my words!
thats really funny! my little siblings were once grossed out by the name too. back then none of us knew who they were. its kinda sad to me, but at least i love them now. besides, i dont think the boys care, as long as we are fans at one point in time