BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1801
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Well, John, Paul and even George Martin didn't exactly treat George's songs very well for 80% of The Beatles career. That it itself would not create a dark side that wasn't already there.... But it would fuel the fire.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:14 AM   #1802
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post
Maia, have a gaze at the first chapter or so in Working Class Mystic: A Spiritual Biography of George Harrison, which deals with George's upbringing, and see what you think. Just click the View Sample button for an online preview of the book.
Oh, this looks GOOD. I have Gary Tillery's book on our John: "John Lennon: Cynical Idealist," which I absolutely LOVED. I didn't know he'd written a book on George.

(muses) One wonders if he's written a book on Paul, and if so, what its title might be..."Paul McCartney: Working-Class Objectivist." Maybe? Or maybe "McCartney Shrugged: An Economic Biography of Paul McCartney."

@ L...(I never can remember the sequence; forgive me) - You have a point about years of resentment feeding into George's dark side. It certainly added to it, but even as a child he didn't really care for people all that much, did he?
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:14 AM   #1803
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Maia, have a gaze at the first chapter or so in Working Class Mystic: A Spiritual Biography of George Harrison, which deals with George's upbringing, and see what you think. Just click the View Sample button for an online preview of the book.
THANKS for the link...it does look like a great read! I've read the first few chapters but no new insights, I'm afraid. It seemed pretty much your basic Beatles background story that I already knew about George. Which sort of feeds my original theory. He was just born with a natural rebellious side, and there was SO MUCH to rebel against in 1950s society in general, but especially if you were a working class individual with a creative/spiritual mind in northern England.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:49 AM   #1804
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
THIS! Yes, yes, YES!
Oh well, why am I not surprised by this...

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1805
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I think Paul was more balanced in that he never let his emotional or other hang-ups consume him. He always seemed far more detached and calculated than John, who was very emotionally invested and, therefore, more prone to get hurt or let things bother him.

I think how each dealt separately with the death of a parent shows how different they were. John's mother's death sort of ate him up from within, whereas Paul could de-compartmentalize his feelings and carry on without letting it weigh him down.
Hmm, did I write anything offensive concerning John ? I wasn't aware of it; didn't say that John wasn't well-balanced, just that Paul was IMHO the most well-balanced of the Beatles. Thus, I meant it also in a emotional way; as you say, Paul always was "cooler" emotionally and more detached than John.

Basically, I think that Paul had a more healthy way of life than John, not going to extremes like John, losing weight because of his macrobiotic-diet and smoking a lot. But I didn't say that John wouldn't look good if he'd still were alive.

Snoopy
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1806
Apple Scruff
Sun King

No, you didn't. I threw it in as a defense mechanism because my John claws were out. Sorry Snoopy.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:13 AM   #1807
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Wink

Quote:
No, you didn't. I threw it in as a defense mechanism because my John claws were out. Sorry Snoopy.
Never mind, Scruffie

Obviously, John has very protective fans who even defend him from other fans, who just might have criticized him

Snoopy
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1808
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
(muses) One wonders if he's written a book on Paul, and if so, what its title might be..."Paul McCartney: Working-Class Objectivist." Maybe? Or maybe "McCartney Shrugged: An Economic Biography of Paul McCartney."
lol ~ I vote for the latter! Leave it to our resident intellectual, Ms. Wildewoman, to compare Macca to Ayn Rand!

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Apr 07, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:27 AM   #1809
hibgal
Sun King

Default Can this marriage be saved?

Totally random shift of topic here but I need to share to keep the sanity (sort of). Was talking with hubby about Woman the other day and he says (seriously) "I don't know what song that is." How can he NOT know what song it is??? Am I living with a Philistine? Are these grounds for divorce? So far I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and figure he's not feeling quite himself after the recent flu. But really. Can a musician live through the 60s and 70s and be unfamiliar with Woman? I didn't think it possible!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:00 PM   #1810
Apple Scruff
Sun King

What did he have to say about the song, hib? My husband loved it enough to let it be one of our main wedding songs. And he really does enjoy it, though apparently "Jealous Guy" and "I Want You" are more his 'thang.'
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1811
hibgal
Sun King

He refused to listen to it, Scruffie!!!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1812
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Oh boy. That is an unfortunate occurrence. Well, perhaps you'll have to speak to him about how nice it is to allow excellent music into your life.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:22 PM   #1813
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
You mean it wasn't just a temporary brain bubble?? Yikes! Don't know what to tell you, hib... certainly is grounds for divorce, but if he's good to the kids, well...

All I want is the truth

Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1814
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Can we just take a minute?

Poor hib has bigger fish to fry with her DH, but I just wanted to post this so we can take a minute and remember how amazing this man was? How many people can answer the most banal and repetitive questions and, without fail, always sound interesting?

Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:01 PM   #1815
Maia 66
Sun King

Aww, Scruffie... there's so much to love in that interview!

Yes, John had a charming way of answering those repetitive questions... what I especially admire about him is how he made the answers sound fresh, not the same old rote anecdotes and conclusions that are the hallmarks of Paul's interviews. (Sorry, Paulie... you know it's true! ) He was just so friggin' articulate! And I love how he was so unapologetically himself... "I've always been a little... you know... loose."

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Apr 07, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:09 PM   #1816
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post

Yes, John had a charming way of answering those repetitive questions... what I especially admire about him is how he made the answers sound fresh, not the same old rote anecdotes and conclusions that are the hallmarks of Paul's interviews. (Sorry, Paulie... you know it's true! ) He was just so friggin' articulate! And I love how he was so unapologetically himself... "I've always been a little... you know... loose."

I love John's voice. He could have read the Job Listings and made them sound interesting. He just had an enunciation and flavor to his voice that was full of life and energy. I love him in that interview because it was really a turning point in his life, and he was really quite positive and heartfelt there. I love his hard-core Wenner interview of course, but this one shows the side of John that came out more readily- the lovable, quick, charming, untouchable charisma that he possessed.
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:40 AM   #1817
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
but this one shows the side of John that came out more readily- the lovable, quick, charming, untouchable charisma that he possessed.
...plus, I think he was a bit nostalgic, since it was Andy Peebles of the BBC interviewing him.

All I want is the truth

Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:43 AM   #1818
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Thumbs up Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post

Yes, John had a charming way of answering those repetitive questions... what I especially admire about him is how he made the answers sound fresh, not the same old rote anecdotes and conclusions that are the hallmarks of Paul's interviews.
I love that interview too; everything in John is cool: his voice, his manner, his look... excentric yet down to earth, self-assured yet modest etc. etc.

Snoopy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1819
hibgal
Sun King

Default Make love not war

Abandoning the reformation of hubby for a bit, great interview with John there. He got "tired of waking up in the papers." Well, who can blame him? It's so clear when he liked the interviewer. He'd be witty without the bite, while if he didn't like somebody he'd be even funnier - with bite!

More random stuff. Looked through BBC banned songs and, not surprisingly perhaps, back in the day they banned several Beatles' songs - A Day in the Life, I am the Walrus, Lucy in the Sky - but that seems to have been a gut reaction towards anything that smacked drug promo (Pretty much like Mae West's silent movies after censors took out everything sexy.) but, did you guys know that Imagine was banned during the Gulf War? Horrors of horrors, the citizens might get influenced and want peace! What a terrifying prospect!

I wonder what John would've said if he knew. Anyone wanna guess!

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1820
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
but, did you guys know that Imagine was banned during the Gulf War? Horrors of horrors, the citizens might get influenced and want peace! What a terrifying prospect!

I wonder what John would've said if he knew. Anyone wanna guess!
Yeah, I did know that... well, didn't know it was banned by the Beeb, but I had heard it was on a list of songs that were not to be played on U.S. radio... probably by stations owned/run by the Clear Channel (who are conservative "Christians"). John's response would have been brilliantly cheeky, I'd bet. Although he was severely missed from 1980 through to the Millennium, it wasn't until the Bush Administration that I really felt like we needed John desperately as a powerful voice of dissent.

All I want is the truth