BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1781
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post

George had an old soul, and he was the one friend who made himself there for John when John suffered devastating losses. I'll always love George for being the first band member to visit John after Julia died. And then for the loss of Stuart.
This is how I feel as well. Not only did it show his compassion, but it demonstrated the love George had for John as well.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1782
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

John was intimidating in the early years. Both Pattie Boyd and Prudence Bury (the other schoolgirl in A Hard Days Night --- "Prisinaahhsss!!!") have said he simply frightened them upon first meeting them.

Perhaps simply a confidence he had in spades that they did not handle well, he was the oldest, with Pattie just 19 at the time.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:25 PM   #1783
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
This is how I feel as well. Not only did it show his compassion, but it demonstrated the love George had for John as well.
George really identified with the rebel in John. Always described as "independent," George had that little streak in him... today we'd call it 'alternative' or 'indie.' But he came from a stable environment, so he wasn't quite as off the hook as John, but I can well imagine how he admired how far John would takes things, and how he "never took sh!T" (which is something George said about John).

What's the interview where John said something to the effect that Paul was a lot more well-balanced than him and George?

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:18 AM   #1784
wildewoman
Taxman

All I can remember of John saying anything like that might have been an off-the-cuff, passing remark in, I think, the landmark Jann Wenner interview. He said something about how he and George took more acid than Paul ever did "because we're both more crazy, probably."

I'm not sure that it was in Wenner, but I recall him saying something of the sort at some point. But he didn't say much more than that, at least in the interviews I've read.

Last edited by wildewoman : Apr 03, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:43 AM   #1785
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I have to look into it, regarding that quote about Paul being more well-balanced. I remember it as well, but not quite sure where I read it from.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1786
Maia 66
Sun King

I think wilde may be right.... may have been an off-hand comment he made to Wenner. In any case, it stuck in my head because George has always been a bit of a mystery to me. He grew up in such a warm, loving home (and was even doted on), but he had this very dark side to him that John related to. In the doc, they keep mentioning how he had this, to paraphrase Ritchie, "peace and love side and this dark and angry side."

All I want is the truth

Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1787
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I think wilde may be right.... may have been an off-hand comment he made to Wenner. In any case, it stuck in my head because George has always been a bit of a mystery to me. He grew up in such a warm, loving home (and was even doted on), but he had this very dark side to him that John related to. In the doc, they keep mentioning how he had this, to paraphrase Ritchie, "peace and love side and this dark and angry side."
Could it be something with guitarists? Of course I always hesitate bringing him up (not!), but Lindsey Buckingham is a famously "dark and intense" man who came from a super warm and fairly comfortably happy family. Yet he's always come off as a little insane and, perhaps, troubled.

I guess there are all kinds that emerge in the world of art, and many times that side of their personality is a huge component in the way they view the world and their music- and often inspires them to take that music to a certain darker/heavier area that your happy-gp-lucky musical artist would probably not.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Apr 03, 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1788
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Brain chemistry?

I know, I'm straying into verboten territory...
Old Apr 03, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1789
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
IIn any case, it stuck in my head because George has always been a bit of a mystery to me. He grew up in such a warm, loving home (and was even doted on), but he had this very dark side to him that John related to.
I know this is the John thread but that's always struck me as odd about George if everything at home was so great because he, like John, hated school and cut classes and what not. And I seem to recall he disappointed his family by being a musician rather than something 'respectable'. Sounds to me both he and John wanted freedom to be themselves and acceptance as themselves. Even loving parents can be too strict to the point the child rebels or feels that love is conditional on them living up to a certain standard.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1790
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
I have to look into it, regarding that quote about Paul being more well-balanced. I remember it as well, but not quite sure where I read it from.
I'm afraid we just have to admit that Paul may be more well-balanced than were John and George. I mean, Paul really looks good and healthy for his age; same thing for Ringo.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:29 PM   #1791
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
I'm afraid we just have to admit that Paul may be more well-balanced than were John and George. I mean, Paul really looks good and healthy for his age; same thing for Ringo.

Snoopy
Snoopy, what on earth does that have to do with being well-balanced? If John was alive, I am sure he would look great for his age as well. I think some don't agree with me on that, but John was very vain and concerned about his appearance. He masked it well, but it did matter to him how he looked and he made a very conscious effort to be healthy, though he was rather delusional in some aspects (smoking). I think Paul was more balanced in that he never let his emotional or other hang-ups consume him. He always seemed far more detached and calculated than John, who was very emotionally invested and, therefore, more prone to get hurt or let things bother him.

I think how each dealt separately with the death of a parent shows how different they were. John's mother's death sort of ate him up from within, whereas Paul could de-compartmentalize his feelings and carry on without letting it weigh him down.

My opinion.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1792
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Snoopy, what on earth does that have to do with being well-balanced? If John was alive, I am sure he would look great for his age as well. I think some don't agree with me on that, but John was very vain and concerned about his appearance. He masked it well, but it did matter to him how he looked and he made a very conscious effort to be healthy, though he was rather delusional in some aspects (smoking). I think Paul was more balanced in that he never let his emotional or other hang-ups consume him. He always seemed far more detached and calculated than John, who was very emotionally invested and, therefore, more prone to get hurt or let things bother him.

I think how each dealt separately with the death of a parent shows how different they were. John's mother's death sort of ate him up from within, whereas Paul could de-compartmentalize his feelings and carry on without letting it weigh him down.

My opinion.

THIS! Yes, yes, YES!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:55 PM   #1793
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
So, by that logic... Yoko is the most well-balanced of them all!!

All I want is the truth

Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1794
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
So, by that logic... Yoko is the most well-balanced of them all!!
You win that one, Maia!

Seriously though, of the four guys the one with most support from home was Paul. Yes, his mom died while he was young but up to that point he had two loving parents. Also his dad was very supportive, being a musician himself. I'm sure that helped no end to give Paul a stable foundation unlike John who lived with his aunt and Ringo who's dad walked out on them when he was still tiny.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:48 PM   #1795
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Paul had a very loving family...

I think Jim's sisters came in to clean and cook good hot meals for the boys after their mom died. And Jim didn't get married again until both boys were grown. That's rare, and very selfless, for a man, especially in that day and age.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1796
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Paul's dad was a lovely man. Even old Paul has nothing on how dear and sweet his dad was.

John, in my opinion, flat-out had the most troubling family life. It's just all kinds of complex and pain. And for someone like John, so sensitive and full of love, that was a scar that never could heal completely.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1797
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
John, in my opinion, flat-out had the most troubling family life. It's just all kinds of complex and pain.
Right... which goes back to my original question. Where did George's dark and angry side come from??

All I want is the truth

Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1798
hibgal
Sun King

I don't see George's dark side as the same sort of dark as John though. George always struck me as pretty secure as to who he was and what he wanted. He was a man unto himself, a loner. I never got the "I just want to be loved" vibe from George that John unknowingly projected.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:47 PM   #1799
Maia 66
Sun King

Oh yeah... George was definitely more comfortable with himself, but he's been described by many close to him as having a deeply bitter and angry side, and I'm not sure where that would have come from.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all that much about his personal history, other than what a normal Beatle head would know. John's is the only life I've studied in detail. So I've been wondering about it the last few months... I have one possible theory, but it's not complete or totally thought-out. It has to do with a general chip on his shoulder regarding society at large... his spiritual side kind of jibes with it. The fact that he was very focused on the "personal experience" and not following silly rules. Hmmmm...

All I want is the truth

Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:36 PM   #1800
hibgal
Sun King

Maia, have a gaze at the first chapter or so in Working Class Mystic: A Spiritual Biography of George Harrison, which deals with George's upbringing, and see what you think. Just click the View Sample button for an online preview of the book.

It always happens when
Who don't pretend

Last edited by hibgal : Apr 05, 2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: I can't spell :/