BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Closed Thread

Old Oct 22, 2002, 01:45 PM   #21
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4
Default Re: Boston Beatlefest

Good luck, Susan! I hope you get lots of pre-orders for Vol. 3 (which reminds me...lol). Make sure you go check out the artwork, too...eventhough mine's not there.

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

*Need Beatles Art? E-mail Me!*
Old Oct 22, 2002, 02:08 PM   #22
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
L4,

I think you ought to submit your artwork to RS.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Susan and I talked about me doing some illustrations...is that what you're referring to? Beside, RS is for fan fiction.

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 22, 2002, 03:03 PM   #23
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Yes, but we ARE going to discuss illustrations for Rooftop stories, which I'd love to have...

I don't want to expand to fan art submissions, I'm no art critic! Better to leave that kind of thing to you, Kristin!

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. October 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:01 PM   #24
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By HMVNipper:
Yes, but we ARE going to discuss illustrations for Rooftop stories, which I'd love to have...

I don't want to expand to fan art submissions, I'm no art critic! Better to leave that kind of thing to you, Kristin!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I didn't take the idea seriously of submitting fan art. Although I'm trying to get people to submit theirs to me.

I'm excited about the illustrations. Pictures are worth a thousand words, right?

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:15 PM   #25
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By lennon4:
Yes, I didn't take the idea seriously of submitting fan art. Although I'm trying to get people to submit theirs to me.

I'm excited about the illustrations. Pictures are worth a thousand words, right?

-lennon4

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Illustrations *are* very important! I had the worst time trying to come up with a design for my book cover (sigh, I wish I could just pull the plug on myself and stop my re-editing and submit the darn thing to the publisher). A well-done illustration can give the reader an idea of what the story is about better than a summary ever could.

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
Old Oct 22, 2002, 05:33 PM   #26
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
Illustrations *are* very important! I had the worst time trying to come up with a design for my book cover (sigh, I wish I could just pull the plug on myself and stop my re-editing and submit the darn thing to the publisher). A well-done illustration can give the reader an idea of what the story is about better than a summary ever could.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The stories at RS are always wonderful, anyway. Illustrations were the only thing I could think of that I could ever contribute to RS, so I'm glad to help out in that way.

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 23, 2002, 09:19 AM   #27
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Tina's story with L4's art! Talk about a high caliber collaboration!

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!
-- Beatles, 1963

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:17 PM   #28
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Tina's story with L4's art! Talk about a high caliber collaboration!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, gee, BB...

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Oct 31, 2002, 03:27 PM   #29
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

To all who are going this weekend--

Have a FAB Beatley time!! Everyone that's on the fan fic panels/poetry reading, good luck and I'll be with you in spirit!

------------------
Beatlegirl's World -- Home of fan fics "The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street" and "Days in the Life"
Old Oct 31, 2002, 05:23 PM   #30
EasternBird
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to EasternBird

Yes, I hope you all have a great time! I hope I'll get to join you at a 'Fest someday...make sure to take a group picture!

------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." - Dave Barry

Stop Worrying: A Tribute To "HELP!"
Old Oct 31, 2002, 06:12 PM   #31
lennon4
Paperback Writer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
To all who are going this weekend--

Have a FAB Beatley time!! Everyone that's on the fan fic panels/poetry reading, good luck and I'll be with you in spirit!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto!

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Nov 03, 2002, 01:54 PM   #32
PaulsPrincess
Bulldog

The Fest was awesome! I went on Friday and it was a little slower than I expected, but I had a great time!
It was so great to be surrounded by Beatle lovers and Beatle stuff and Beatle music...

BTW... it was very nice to meet you HMVNipper!

------------------
"...and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."
Old Nov 03, 2002, 03:46 PM   #33
alliesun
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By PaulsPrincess:
The Fest was awesome! I went on Friday and it was a little slower than I expected, but I had a great time!
It was so great to be surrounded by Beatle lovers and Beatle stuff and Beatle music...

BTW... it was very nice to meet you HMVNipper!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm so glad you had a good time, Sal! I'm jealous you've met a fellow Linker now... Anyway - I can't wait to hear more stories. What did Jess think?

I hope it was wonderful for everyone who attended.

------------------
"Kindness is wisdom."
Old Nov 03, 2002, 05:34 PM   #34
biglou114
Bulldog

Send a message via AIM to biglou114

Well I loved the fest it was the most fun I've had in years. They had everything I've ever wanted to do with Beatlefans. I was in the trivia contest. I got past the first round and made second place in the finals. And I'm only 14. I felt bad for the adults. In a round I watched a question was What was the song Baby it's You First appear on? Guess what nobody knew it. But I had fun. It was a great time. If anybody has any questions just ask.

------------------
I am the Eggman

53 day until the release of Brainwashed.
Old Nov 04, 2002, 07:17 AM   #35
shyGirl
Sun King

Found an article about the 'fest from the Boston Globe:

A stroll down memory lane, via Abbey Road

By Peter Demarco, Globe Correspondent, 11/3/2002

DANVERS - Of the thousands of John, Paul, George, and Ringo fans who flocked here this weekend for the preeminent Beatles convention in the country, David and Robin Eastburn proved perhaps more than anyone that you can still believe in yesterday.

The Eastburns divorced this spring after an eight-year marriage. But there they were at The Fest for Beatles Fans yesterday, walking almost hand-in-hand down aisles filled with Beatles lunchboxes, Ringo piggy banks, and $6,000 original album covers.

''We have a pretty big bunch of friends here,'' said Robin, who works for IBM in Nashville. ''We'll all be singing together tonight.''

''It's funny,'' said David, a general contractor from Wilmington, Del. ''Only at a Beatles convention can you see your ex-wife and still be friends with her.''

The convention at the Sheraton Ferncroft Hotel, which hit the Boston area for the first time in its 28-year history this weekend and concludes tonight, offers something for all levels of Beatles fans, said organizer Mark Lapidos.

For the memorabilia hawks, there are rows and rows of everything from walrus dolls to autographs to tickets from every show the Fab Four ever played.

But fans can also watch an old David Frost interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono on a projection screen. Or take in a puppet show with Kermit and Miss Piggy singing, ''All Together Now.'' Or pick their favorites in a sound-a-like contest.

For a $30 admission fee, show-goers can also peruse art exhibits, compete in trivia contests, listen to Liverpool, reputedly the world's greatest Beatles cover band, or seek autographs from I-knew-the-Beatles performers such as Laurence Juber, a former lead guitarist for Wings.

In one of the showrooms yesterday, Lindo Sperandio of Newton stepped in between life-size cardboard cutouts of George, Paul, Ringo, and John and pretended to walk in synch with them - like on the Abbey Road album cover - while her picture was snapped.

''The minute I walked in here I said, `I've got to do that!''' she said.

Other fans gathered around a piano in the hotel lobby and began belting out every tune they could think of. And for many attendees, that would be hundreds.

Debbie Kaplan, 57, a New Bedford artist, was one of several self-professed Beatles maniacs at the convention yesterday. Wearing a pin in the shape of three M's - representing the Middle-aged McCartney Maniacs society - she recounted in incredible detail the three times she came face to face with Paul McCartney on the street.

''He looked at me and put on this very romantic, poetic, British accent and said, `I love you ever so much. I really do, my love,''' said Kaplan. ''I thought I'd die. I thought I'd stop breathing.''

(In her other two meetings, she popped a kiss on him as he was leaving a recording studio and got caught spying inside the windows of his Mercedes.)

Other fans recalled their first exposure to the Beatles, particularly their Ed Sullivan appearance in 1964, or the Beatles' only two shows in Boston, one at Suffolk Downs, the other at Boston Garden.

''I was there in 1964 at the Boston Garden when confetti flew from the rafters - so much you almost couldn't see the Beatles for a while,'' remembered Lynda Murphy, an IRS worker from Andover and group leader of the Rhode Island-based Club Beatles of New England.

''I was there, too. It was the best day of my life next to my wedding,'' said friend June Couture, 52, of Slatersville, R.I. ''I told my husband that on our wedding day. Actually, he looks a little like Paul McCartney.''

While the middle-aged set appeared to dominate the show, younger fans peppered the crowd as well. Greg Linse, 11, and his brother, Douglas, 13, paraded through the convention dressed in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band nehru jackets made by their mom.

''Actually, the kids were the ones who got my husband and I interested in the Beatles again,'' said Donna Linse, of Medfield. ''It had been a few years, and we had sort of forgotten about them. We were more into Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins.''

Lapidos, who ran the first Fest for Beatles fans - then known as Beatlefest - in April 1974 (John Lennon gave him a guitar for a charity raffle), said he expects 3,000 people to attend the three-day event. He said he hopes to make the convention an annual event in the area, in addition to New York and Chicago.

''They don't have a bad song,'' said Paige Bettencourt, 13, of Fitchburg. ''The other kids at school think I'm weird because I'm into them. But I just tell them the Beatles are forever.''

------------------

Song of the moment-Instant Karma

shyGirl's Hideout

"I get shy when they start to stare."
Old Nov 04, 2002, 07:21 AM   #36
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

This was my first one and it was FABULOUS!! I didn't want it to end. Unfortunately, i did not meet any other Beatlelinkers, and no one had heard of BeatleLinks.net when i mentioned them. I was also in the trivia contest (Sat.) but not quick enough with the buzzer (damn!) Everyone was so nice. Martin Lewis was charming, Allistair Taylor knocked me out, Billy J Kramer was....seldom sober? Laurence Juber was mind-blowing. Joey Molland was incredible! I spoke to some of the authors and they were great.
But my highlight was the band Liverpool....i saw them all three nights....to hear these songs live and loud was huge! I was VERY impressed with them. I know nothing about them. Anyone got more info on them? Do they have a website, etc?
I'm seriously considering going to the next one, in NJ in March. This Boston BeatleFest was the highlight of my year.

------------------
"Although I laugh and I act like a clown/Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown." - I'M A LOSER (64)
Old Nov 04, 2002, 10:59 AM   #37
lennon4
Paperback Writer

That's great that you all enjoyed yourselves! Did anyone see the results of the art and/or music contests?

-lennon4

------------------

Imagine. (it's here)

~All You Need Is Love~

Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:06 PM   #38
PaulsPrincess
Bulldog

Yeah, Beatlefest was a blast! I was a little dissapointed that I missed Liverpool. I went on Friday and had planned on attending the dance party, but I spent so much time in the memorabilia room that I missed the whole thing.
I had such a fab time though that I wasn't too bummed. If I ever go to a fest again though I think I'll try to make it a point to catch the tribute band. After the fest ended I sat in the lobby for like an hour listening to these guys play Beatle songs on the guitar and the piano. I felt like I was at camp or something, everyone sitting around, singing together...it was great!

Thanks for posting that article Steph!

------------------
"...and in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."
Old Nov 04, 2002, 12:19 PM   #39
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By biglou114:
I was in the trivia contest. I got past the first round and made second place in the finals. And I'm only 14. I felt bad for the adults. In a round I watched a question was What was the song Baby it's You First appear on? Guess what nobody knew it. But I had fun. It was a great time. If anybody has any questions, just ask.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, BigLou....were you the kid who said his hobby was researching Beatles? Everyone was impressed!

------------------
"Although I laugh and I act like a clown/Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown." - I'M A LOSER (64)
Old Nov 04, 2002, 03:48 PM   #40
Drumhead15
Dr. Robert

Send a message via AIM to Drumhead15 Send a message via MSN to Drumhead15 Send a message via Yahoo to Drumhead15

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By PaulsPrincess:
I felt like I was at camp or something, everyone sitting around, singing together...it was great!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just what the one in Chicago felt like!

------------------

"George was a best friend of mine. I loved him very much and I will miss him greatly. Both Barbara and I send our love and light to Olivia and Dhani. We will miss George for his sense of love, his sense of music, his sense of laughter." -Ringo Starr
Closed Thread