BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy
Default George Harrison's Son - No Plan for The Beatles' Boys Group

George Harrison's Son: No Plan for The Beatles' Boys Group

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/w0000254.html

George Harrison's son has blasted the rumor suggesting that The Beatles' offspring plan to make their own group, insisting 'We just keep to ourselves.'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Harrison's son has dismissed rumors The Beatles' musical offspring are planning to launch their own group to follow in the footsteps of their famous dads. Harrison's songwriter son Dhani, 31, is rumored to be in talks with John Lennon's sons, Julian Lennon and Sean Lennon, Sir Paul McCartney's boy James and Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey to form a band.

Dhani, who fronts his own rock group Thenewno2, insists he is on good terms with all of the musicians, but he has brushed off claims they will team up to record songs. He says, "We just keep to ourselves. Everyone's constantly trying to suggest that there might be something there but it's not what we want to do at all."

George Harrison himself first joined The Beatles by the time he was 16. Some of compositions he wrote for the band are "Something", "I Me Mine", "Within You Without You" and "If I Needed Someone".
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:48 AM   #2
taxman
Taxman

Agree with Dhani on this one. For example, if they recorded an album, comparisions would be inevitable, and everybody knows who would lose.
But an one-time event, like a live show or something, wouldn't be a bad idea.
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
But an one-time event, like a live show or something, wouldn't be a bad idea.
Like a charity event or something. I could see it happening on one of the big dates, like the 50th anniversary of Beatlemania, or (and I know we don't like to think about it, but...) after Paul and Ringo are gone. Or something crazy like that. But if it were seriously floated as a permanent group idea kinda thing, I wouldn't be so keen on it. Taxman is right: the comparisons would be inevitable, unless they did an electronica album or something in a totally different ballpark from what their fathers did.

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Shmee
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via AIM to Shmee Send a message via Skype™ to Shmee

It makes lots more sense for them to keep to themselves. I would hate to have to be known for just what my parents did. (as cute as a little beatle group would be, it just wouldn't be the same anyway.)
Old Jan 11, 2010, 02:13 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Good on Dhani! Let him be his own person with his own voice and style.

Goodness forbid he did what Frank Sinatra Jr. did, which was trying to be his famous father, Frank Sr.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:14 PM   #6
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

The press would be licking their chops to criticize them, even if they were good. Can anyone actually picture today's press giving them a chance to succeed?
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 03:47 AM   #7
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Despite Dhani's comments, the rumours continue...

Rock Music Menu: The Beatle buzz: Here comes the sons!

http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...e623557213.txt

Published: Friday, January 15, 2010

“Sons of Beatles Set to Invade” sounds like the title to a bad Japanese monster movie from the 50s; but if the rumors are true, it’s a headline you can expect to see a lot of as it will signal the arrival of one of the most talked about musical fusions of the millennia.

The Beatles were arguably the most influential and popular act of all time, and as expected, that talent extended to the gene pool, with some of their children becoming involved in music one form or another. Now, the buzz has gotten bigger that some of them are planning to work on an as yet untitled project together. James McCartney, Dhani Harrison and Zak Starkey are reportedly working together with Julian and Sean Lennon, though Harrison has denied anything is in the works.

John’s eldest son, Julian, was the first recipient of the white hot glare of the music industry spotlight on a son of a Beatle in 1984 with the album “Valotte,” just a few short years after his father was murdered by a crazed fan. It was ironic that Julian faced the most questions and pressure about his lineage, as he was easily the most removed from any sort of close link with his famous parent. Over the years, he’s stressed how hard it has been to deal with the legacy and questions about his often nonexistent relationship with John.

But while 46-year-old Julian’s music recalls the early pop of the Fab Four, his half-brother Sean, 34, took on a much more experimental approach with his debut, “Into the Sun” in 1998 and it’s follow-up eight years later, “Friendly Fire.” Neither broke new musical ground, but were well-received by critics.

Slogging it out in the clubs for years, Ringo Starr’s son Zak Starkey was thrust into the spotlight as drummer for The Who in 1994, a position he’s held ever since. The situation might’ve seemed odd at first, but the late Who drummer Keith Moon was Starkey’s godfather, and bought him his first drum kit. The 44-year-old has also pulled stick duty for the top Beatles derivative band ever, Oasis, though if anything, his technique brought the Britpop outfit a distinctive groove it never had before.

Dhani Harrison, 31, has been devoting much of his musical career to his drum and bass tinged collective thenewno2 which boasts smart electro-rock and synthesized modulator effects that add a psychedelic twist to the proceedings. He’s also been deeply involved in preserving his father’s legacy, and helped to spearhead the development of last year’s “The Beatles: Rock Band.” And most strikingly, he looks exactly like George Harrison.

“He looks so much like his dad,” The Bangles’ Susanna Hoffs, who has collaborated with Harrison, told Rock Music Menu. “And when you’ve grown up with The Beatles it’s almost like you’re doing a double take and you look at him and you see George there so strongly in his features.”

The newbie to these sons of rock royalty is James McCartney, 32, who, despite playing on some of Sir Paul’s albums in recent years, has pretty much avoided the limelight completely. That looks to change in 2010 when he releases his debut, which his dad is reportedly lending quite the helping hand.

Frustrating as it may be, getting together and making music is probably the most significant musical statement these offspring could make in their respective careers. No matter what, every one of them is going to be aligned with the similarities they share with their paternal side in every imaginable way. The way their nose is shaped (Julian), choices of eyewear (Sean) and dedication to issues like vegetarianism (James) are the things the press will undoubtedly compare to their Fab Forefathers.

But as clichéd as it may sound, there is strength in numbers, and if the five of them were to do anything together, it would eclipse any previous work by light years. The pressure would be incredible, but growing up and displaying even the slightest musical inclination has already drawn both justified and unfair criticism.

Arranged as a unit, the press and public’s interest would reach a fever pitch, but one that would be perhaps easier to deal with surrounded by individuals who are feeling the exact same thing.

According to Harrison though, despite being in touch with the other so-called “Beatles’ babies,” nothing is on the horizon.

“We just keep to ourselves,” he said recently. “Everyone’s constantly trying to suggest that there might be something there but it’s not what we want to do at all.”

Tomorrow never knows, but going by the schedules of everyone said to be involved, he is likely telling the truth – at least for the time being.

McCartney and Julian Lennon have records coming out this year and Sean Lennon is promoting his recently released score for the independent film “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Undead.”

Harrison just wrapped up a U.S. tour with Thenewno2 and is now working on “Rock Band 3,” and told The Chicago Tribune he is focusing on, “Making the controllers more real so people can actually learn how to play music while playing the game.”

And Starkey can be seen next behind the drums at the Super Bowl halftime show in a few weeks with The Who, a band dealing with its own set of rumors including a new record and/or a possible farewell tour.

Remaining Beatles say ‘Y Not’

In other Beatle-related news, Ringo Starr has a new album coming out Tuesday, and he’s joined by Paul McCartney on two tracks.

“Y Not,” which is Starr’s first foray as producer, also features contributions from heavy hitters like Ben Harper, Eagles’ guitarist Joe Walsh and Joss Stone. But it’s the reunion of the two former Beatles that has everyone talking.

“Paul was doing the Grammys, so he came over to the house and was playing bass on ‘Peace Dream,’” said Starr. “So I played him this other track and Paul said, ‘Give me the headphones. Give me a pair of cans.’ And he went to the mic and he just invented that part where he follows on my vocal.”

The song, “Walk With You,” marks the first duet between Starr and McCartney, and the nostalgia factor alone makes it worth a couple of listens. It might not be The Beatles, but with that obviously not possible these days, “Walk With You” is a gem of a consolation prize.

“That was all Paul McCartney, and there could be nothing better,” said Starr. “He makes it bigger and he makes it fuller. It makes the song like a conversation between us, and that was Paul’s idea to do his part one beat behind me. That’s why he’s a genius and an incredible bass player.”

Starr has assembled the 11th line up of his All-Starr Band, and will be taking it out on the road again this summer. Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, drummer Gregg Bissonette and All-Starr newcomers Rick Derringer, Richard Page (Mr. Mister) and Wally Palmar (Romantics) are on board this year, and will be coming to the region on July 3 with a show in Atlantic City at Caesar’s Circus Maximus.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:18 AM   #8
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I cant say I could see that happening. I'm not even sure why they'd want to. Everyone would be expecting them to be just like their dads.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:03 AM   #9
bobdude
Dr. Robert

It would be nice if they'd just let this stupid, idiotic rumor pass. Maybe the Rolling Stones children will form a group too. Just plain dumb.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Harrison just wrapped up a U.S. tour with Thenewno2 and is now working on “Rock Band 3,” and told The Chicago Tribune he is focusing on, “Making the controllers more real so people can actually learn how to play music while playing the game.”
Dhani is so awesome. Ever since I read him say this, I am just silly proud of him for conceiving this and working on it. What a fantastic idea! I'm so so proud George's boy is creative and briliant (and handsome!). He's not only a great musician, but so smart technically that he will help advance technology this way. Man! I know George must be SO proud.

Remember how important it was to George for kids to be able to learn to play music? When the Wilbury's came out, remember how George had that 3/4 guitar designed. It was a good quality guitar available at JC Pennys here in the US for very little money. George said he wanted kids who could not maybe aford too much to be able to have a decent guitar to learn on. So sweet. Now, with Dhani's influence, soon kids with be able to learn guitar by playing a fun video game! Just imagine how many more kids - and grown ups!- will be learning to play! I think of Dhani's wanting to do this each time I play Beatles Rock Band! Love him so much... such a beautiful heart like his dad.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:13 PM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Well said, Hari's Chick! Amen, Sister!

George's 1965 "Think For Yourself" are words he lived by and it sounds as if his son lives by that credo as well. Many years ago I read that Louise encouraged George and his older siblings to think for themselves.

I like that.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote