BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Oct 19, 2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Default When people knock music you like, does it really hurt/tick you off?

First of all, I wasn't sure if I should post this here, or in Nothern Song, but I thought of posting it here because it was someone knocking The Beatles that sparked this post.

So, I've found over the years, that if someone makes fun of the music I really like (especially if its The Beatles/John Lennon, but with other music I like too), it either gets me really, really ticked off, or hurts my feelings, and I tend to go on the defensive.

Interestingly, I'm taking an elective course in University on rock and popular music (its like a musicology course in a way), and the professor said its common to use music as a social tool. The more we like a certain kind of music/artist/band, the more we use it to identify ourselves, and the more offense we take when someone else insults that music. I was a little relieved to hear I'm not the only person who has a tendency to take jabs at the music I like personally.

My dad was saying that when he was growing up if he liked a new band, and then someone he knew who he didn't like also discovered that new band it kind of ruined it for him. Or he hoped that people he didn't like wouldn't like the music he liked also.

And reccently I've discovered that I can't stand Across The Universe (the movie) anymore, because a friend of mine is always playing the covers to me and acting like they are SO wonderful and acting like she's the biggest beatles fan, when she never plays the originals, or any other beatles music.

So I was wondering if you guys have ever experienced anything kind of similar to this.

Looking forward to reading replies!
Tani

Last edited by Loony_leo : Oct 19, 2008 at 07:23 PM.
Loony_leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Rutlemania
Little Child

I feel the same as you Leo!

I'm doign performing arts and requested we use "Give Peace a Chance" for a piece we were devising and because the people in my class are young and into more rap music ("innit blud" - enough said) I was incredibly hurt to hear "*kiss teeth* was dis sh*t man?"

"It's John Lennon, Give Peace A Chance"

"*kiss teeth* who da hell is dis John Lennon bruv man?"

It hurts!! To have someone disrespecting not only music taste, but John himself.

I also was incredibly hurt, to the point of tears when someone said they didnt like Freddie Mercury and stated that he can't sing. No-one says that to me about Freddie.

Ooooh I don't want to get started but if you don't agree with a music taste or just a piece of music, if you must say so, say it nicely "it's not for me" or something not "oh allow this sh*t man"

*kiss teeth*

Peace xx
Rutlemania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:02 AM   #4
Get Back
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlemania View Post
I'm doign performing arts and requested we use "Give Peace a Chance" for a piece we were devising and because the people in my class are young and into more rap music ("innit blud" - enough said) I was incredibly hurt to hear "*kiss teeth* was dis sh*t man?"

"It's John Lennon, Give Peace A Chance"

"*kiss teeth* who da hell is dis John Lennon bruv man?"

It hurts!! To have someone disrespecting not only music taste, but John himself.

*kiss teeth*

Peace xx
People who talk like this show a lack of even the most basic knowledge relating to the subject, in this case, John Lennon. Therefore, their opinions would be meaningless, and would not impact on my feelings for John Lennon and his music.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 06:46 AM   #5
Asha
Sun King

You know, it's sort of hard for me to answer this. I mean, yeah, I've been there where someone says something to me about my bands & I get a bit hurt. But today, it doesn't bother me so much. So, yes & no.

It doesn't bother me so much now & I think part of it is because I like so much & I've come to realize that not everyone is as open about enjoying different kinds or styles of music. So, when someone knocks something I like, a part of me just wonders if they sort of live in a musical box & never look outside of that box, ya know? Only listening to one kind of music or one period of music. That sort of makes me sad because I believe they may be missing out because they just don't want to expand.

Also, I think music speaks to our souls. So, everyone is going to be moved by something different. It really comes down to a matter of opinion. Everyone has to find what works for them & in some ways, it's kind of nice that not everyone loves what I love. Ok, the Beatles are really sort of an exception because they have such a huge fan base, but you know. If someone says they don't really like the Beatles, I ask them what they like. After all, they may turn me on to yet another band!

As for your friend, Tani. You know, some people just like to change things up. I actually enjoy hearing all different versions of Beatles music. It's fun & refreshing for me. Maybe there's something within your friend that doesn't allow her to believe it's ok to listen to music from the 60s? So maybe she thinks the originals are old? Or maybe, since she's a musician, it's just her way of playing the songs... you know, someone has done a version that's sort of in her own style & she can relate to it.

I dunno...
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:53 AM   #6
Esmirelda
Sun King

I tend to feel a bit sorry for people that say, "The Beatles suck" or whatever. I feel like they must be experiencing some weird kind of mental deafness.

I do get annoyed when I encounter musical antagonists. I met a radio DJ who works at a classic rock station. They noticed my Beatles tattoos; and felt like they had to "inform" me that The Beatles are just a "wimpy Pop band". They kept on and on about how The Beatles don't 'Rock' and they were just a teeny bopper band, blah blah, blah.

I waited patiently through their little speech and told the DJ to go and revisit Helter Skelter and side two of Abbey Road. I also advised that perhaps they work at the local Heavy Metal station instead.

I found it odd that a Beatle non-fan works at a Classic Rock station...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:07 AM   #7
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmirelda View Post
I do get annoyed when I encounter musical antagonists. I met a radio DJ who works at a classic rock station. They noticed my Beatles tattoos; and felt like they had to "inform" me that The Beatles are just a "wimpy Pop band". They kept on and on about how The Beatles don't 'Rock' and they were just a teeny bopper band, blah blah, blah.

I waited patiently through their little speech and told the DJ to go and revisit Helter Skelter and side two of Abbey Road. I also advised that perhaps they work at the local Heavy Metal station instead.

The Grinch Theme is suddenly playing in my head. Perhaps his heart is two sizes too small?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:51 AM   #8
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

That kind of thing used to bother me when I was 16, but now? Nah. I figure if somebody knows I'm a Beatles fan and goes out of their way to put them down in front of me, they're either (a) trying to get a rise out of me, (b) insecure or (c) a jerk. Just not reacting to it takes all the wind out of their sails.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:57 AM   #9
62hofner

Quote:
I tend to feel a bit sorry for people that say, "The Beatles suck" or whatever. I feel like they must be experiencing some weird kind of mental deafness.

What station do they work at? WSUK???
62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:07 PM   #10
FrozenTennis
Little Child

One of my friends calls The Beatles ugly. =( She is soo mean.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Esmirelda
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenTennis View Post
One of my friends calls The Beatles ugly. =( She is soo mean.
And blind
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:17 PM   #12
J van E
Nowhere Man

1. I do remember that around 1981, when I was 20, I became a fan of U2's music. No one else knew the band: they weren't big yet. One or two years later they had their first hit and after a while everyone loved them. That spoiled it for me... I liked being different... ;)

2. When I became a Beatles-fan, back in 1975, I had a book that listed all UK Beatles-releases and reviews of them. I read a lot of that book before I actually heard all of the music. That book really influenced my view on a lot of songs.
Some albums and/or songs sucked according to the writers, and I remember that when I listened to those apparently crap songs for the first time I was influenced a LOT! I also thought they sucked! It took me a long, long time to find out that some songs did NOT suck! I had a hard time getting a er... clear view on some songs. That book really influenced me too much.
It still influences me today because I haven't forgotten this and I still don't like to read reviews of Beatlessongs. I discovered that again last week, when I got a copy of Revolution in the head... I read a note about a specific song I really love and the writer said it was rather crap... I immediately thought 'Is it...?' And then I thought 'Ah, you asshole...!' But still... when I listened to that song a few days later I found myself thinking 'Is this crap...'? I also didn't like reading about some facts about the song (amongst others that is was based on a song from someone else). I've found that I am quite easily influenced and annoyed by other peoples views on Beatles-songs: I am rather touchy about it, it seems. And I do think it all goes back to reading that stupid book in 1975... I wish I'd never read it. (And I also regret buying Revolution in the head...)

3. I once was at a party and The Beatles came up. A few people said they were also big Beatlesfans: they really loved the Red and Blue albums they had. Aaaarrrrggghhh.... People who only know the Red and Blue albums are NOT real Beatlesfans!

Last edited by J van E : Oct 20, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
J van E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:01 AM   #13
UncaDan
Apple Scruff

Back in the mid to late 70s, I was a music snob. While all the kids around me were listening to what was popular at the time (Styx, REO Speedwagon, Rush, Ted Nugent, etc.), I was listening to early 70s british glam (T.Rex, Slade), Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Bob Dylan. While I was not antagonistic about what others were listening to, I was more that eager to debate the pros and cons of each others tastes in music (most of my points were a bit lame). I flat out rejected anything that was labeled punk or new wave or anything that was remotely popular.

One day years later I asked myself "why should I limit myself like this?" and asked a coworker to make an Elvis Costello compilation tape. It turned out to be one of my all time favorite tapes and I opened myself up to all kinds of music. I discovered bands that I rejected or ignored earlier (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Oingo Boingo) and new bands I would not have given the time of day to a year ago (Love and Rockets, Lone Justice, Guns n Roses). I am still finding new stuff to listen to, stuff I missed/dismissed earlier and brand new stuff. There is still stuff that is just not for me but if someone likes it, that's okay.

Music is an adventure, If you travel with blinders on you miss out on a lot.

Sybil Records My Record Label
The Beatles-The What-If Edition My Beatles fantasy album project.
UncaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:03 AM   #14
Asha
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaDan View Post
One day years later I asked myself "why should I limit myself like this?"... I am still finding new stuff to listen to, stuff I missed/dismissed earlier and brand new stuff...

Music is an adventure, If you travel with blinders on you miss out on a lot.
Exactly! I often ask people why they limit themselves! There is so much amazing music out there!

I love the last line! Very well said UncaDan!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:39 AM   #15
hibgal
Sun King

I rather discuss religion with people than taste - it's less volatile!

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:13 PM   #16
John Cee
Day Tripper

Musical taste is such an individual thing that it doesn't bother me at all when people diss the Beatles or any other artist I enjoy --- although I don't like it when they get insulting about it. To me, the Beatles define what enjoyable music is all about, so while it's nice if the people I'm with agree, it doesn't worry me when they don't. However, the DJ who said the Beatles didn't rock, but were just a wimpy pop band -- well, that's not a matter of taste... that's just wrong!! lol The guy needs to actually listen to "Revolution", "Twist & Shout", "Helter Skelter", "It's All Too Much", "Taxman".... etc etc

I've got nothing to say, but it's okay!
GOOD MORNING!
GOOD MORNING!!
GOOD MORNING!!!
John Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:40 PM   #17
beatlemom82
Fool On The Hill

I feel the same way you do leo. i do take it personal when people get a look on their face. its like they're saying something is wrong with you for your particular taste in music.

and i get it double because i am african american and i adore the beatles. so then i get hit with why do you like "that" music. just typing this angers me, urgh!
beatlemom82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 05:39 AM   #18
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

It's hard to say. Maybe not if they are respectful about it. But if they say something like "It's stupid", then I get annoyed.

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:15 AM   #19
FrozenTennis
Little Child

Quote:
And blind
VERY blind.

And also, this kid in my science class one day saw I had Beatles pictures on my book and he says "You like The Beatles?"
I said "YES!" and he says "Aren't they half dead?" But what really ticks me off is that he was laughing when he said that. Who would laugh at John and George being dead?!? So I told him "One of them was shot." And he just keeps laughing saying "Who would shoot a Beatle?" That REALLY ticked me off.

What cold-hearted person would laugh at a Beatles' death?!?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:27 PM   #20
beatlemom82
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenTennis View Post
VERY blind.

And also, this kid in my science class one day saw I had Beatles pictures on my book and he says "You like The Beatles?"
I said "YES!" and he says "Aren't they half dead?" But what really ticks me off is that he was laughing when he said that. Who would laugh at John and George being dead?!? So I told him "One of them was shot." And he just keeps laughing saying "Who would shoot a Beatle?" That REALLY ticked me off.

What cold-hearted person would laugh at a Beatles' death?!?
reading that just made me angry. wow. cold hearted isnt even the half, personally i think its ignorant.
beatlemom82 is offline   Reply With Quote